Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time Governs All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time Governs All
    Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 02:59
I was just wondering if anyone knew of past peoples of any region   
that worshipped 'Time' as in: A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future. Basically, the noun def.

I hope for many replies.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 03:21
Originally posted by Arevalorum

I was just wondering if anyone knew of past peoples of any region   
that worshipped 'Time' as in: A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future. Basically, the noun def.

I hope for many replies.

Time is not necessary linear in philosofical thinking. It could be a circle or a chain of circles.

In my opiniion the Time is an idea too abstract to be the basis of a popular deity. There is a book of the late professor Kkosy (a leading Hungarian egyptologist) titled The time god of Alexandria. I will look for some useful info in this question.

My avatar also could be a symbol of time an uroboros.

Edited by Raider - 13-Jul-2006 at 03:24
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 13:51

Thanks for your response. I will also look into the book mentioned.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 15:02

Probably most people just took Time as inevitable and therefore let it be without honouring or sacrificing ot it, it might be actually possible that some hated Time for going on..

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 03:05
The Greek god Chronos, the oldest of them, born out of primeval Chaos, represents time (Chronos means Time). He was associated with the planet we, like the Romans, call Saturn, which of all the then-known planets has the longest cyclical period (what we would now see as its period of revolution around the sun).

There is confusion between Chronos, the Titan Cronus, and the Roman god Saturn, whose attributes and mythological career were all mixed up together.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 03:19
In the Ancient Egypt time was a chain of circles. There was a great beginning, when the first mound emerged from the ancinet waters and there was a great end, but within this timeline the world symbolicaly destroyed every night and rebirthed every mornig as Ra defeated the Apep, the serpent of darkness, with the help of Set.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 01:08
im not sure but i think the Aztec people also understood time in that way. From what i understand is that they believed the world would destroy itself to be reborn  and that it had done so 3 or 4 times already though im not too sure.. can someone shed light on this ?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:08
I believe in the Koran it says: "Do not curse time for i am time"
I find that quite profound a statement when ascribed to God.
 Post Reply Post Reply