Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noah's Ark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aakhonba View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aakhonba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noah's Ark
    Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 06:53
Where do you think it is? or perhaps you think that none of its remains survive today?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 06:58
Noahs ark is a fable.

I heard it is supposed to be on top of Mt Sinai, i dont belive it though.

Edited by machine - 30-Jun-2006 at 06:58
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:16
Mt. Ararat
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:36
i remeber reading about that they found signs of it in mountains in turkey.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:40

yeah they found some wood.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:06
Some said it was found on Mt. Ararat, but it is too high and cannot be reached. A modern(?) myth.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:35
You are all wrong! It's in Holland!LOL

Johan Huibers' replica of Noah's Ark

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 09:23
From the article:
Mr Huibers, who plans to open the vessel as a religious monument and zoo, hopes the project will renew interest in Christianity in the Netherlands.

Knowing my fellow country (wo)men, fat chance of that...Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 09:53
Many years ago, [before the net] I remember seeing a series of Photographs taken somewhere in Turkey, on a glacier.  They showed quite clearly a vessel of some kind encased in Ice.  There was even a close up shot that showed the interior, the vessel having broken in two. The Photos were taken around 1948-49, I have searched for them many times with no luck.  Has anyone else seen them and do you know where they might be found?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 09:56
MT ararat
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 10:09
I can find the photos on mt ararat?  I was looking for something a little bit closer to home, like a web site. Big smile  Do you know the photos I speak of?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 16:10
I saw a documentary on that. Apparently, following the very blurry picture from the 1950s, several expeditions have attempted to search the remains of the ark, but found nothing. The report concluded that it was simply a photographic trick or coincidence, rather like the Loch Ness pictures. Subsequent pictures of the same area did not show the same object (they showed only rock).

Really, it's just a myth.

Edited by Decebal - 30-Jun-2006 at 16:12
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 17:44
Originally posted by Decebal

I saw a documentary on that. Apparently, following the very blurry picture from the 1950s, several expeditions have attempted to search the remains of the ark, but found nothing. The report concluded that it was simply a photographic trick or coincidence, rather like the Loch Ness pictures. Subsequent pictures of the same area did not show the same object (they showed only rock).

Really, it's just a myth.

Decebal- So was UbarSmile, the photos I had seen were a series taken from the ground, not aerial.  They were very clear, in one shot I could see mortise and tendon construction in the wood work.  I don't believe in the Noah Myth as it reads biblically.  I do believe there May have been an event on a catastrophic scale that may explain a ship being in the mountains, or several of them if you count the other reported sites. Recovery of timber for dating might explain many things. 

Edited by red clay - 30-Jun-2006 at 17:50
Unknown.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 04:45
This recent article was posted on teh front news page of AOL (American Online)
The one picture here looks quite interesting (much like old slabs of what appears to be wood , locked in together).
Either way, it is interesting for the fact that it is in Iran....

Has Noah's Ark Been Found?
Christian Archaeology Team Believes It's Found Biblical Remains

June 29) - Texas archaeologists believe they may have located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range.
"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery.

"We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found something that has my heart skipping a beat."

At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat.

"It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood."

In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look very distinctive.

"It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said.

Long Search for the Ark

The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team says is consistent with their find in Iran.

The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by 50 cubits -- about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale.

"It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah," Cornuke said.

Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence.

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the Ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey.

"Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler.

One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the mountains of Iran.

"There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the answer to this enduring mystery.

"People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found something here that's very notable."

The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

06-29-06 17:31 EDT

Copyright 2006 ABCNEWS.com

source:

Edited by minchickie - 06-Jul-2006 at 04:54
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:03

AĞRI (Ararat)

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:21

I only see slabs of stone on those AOL pics....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 11:43

Noah's Ark must be found and preserved.

minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 21:54
I really dont know about it. I am not at all religious (of any kind) but it would be cool for archaeological reasons if it is found. On the other hand, I believe it was Marco Polo who made note of the ship? or was it the heavy floods that matched up to that time frame(on his way back from China)? In any case, a great exploration!Wink
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 13:53
Read an article today that equates the "Great Flood" that forced good old Noah to build his ark with the irruption of The Aegaen Sea through the Bosphorus into the Black Sea around 6000 BC.
The Black Sea until then had apparently been an inland-lake around which shores  flourishing civilisations had been established.
Not only prompted this natural catastrophe Noah on his enterprise, but,more realistically, it caused an influx of displaced settlers from the regions into South East and Central Europe where they introduced farming techniques. Or so, the "Spiegel" (German Magazine) goes.
A new twist to the old theory that the story of the flood is based  an historical facts, with the local bards and story-tellers taking liberties with their people's collective memories.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2019 at 03:25

There have been at least 3 Noah's Ark candidates:
1. A wooden ark up in Mt Ararat. (Wonder if this one shows on google maps/earth?)
2. The Durupinar Ark near Dogubayzit in eastern Turkey not far from Mt Ararat, sometimes called the Tendurek ark. The sightings by Russian airplane pilot in Tsar's times was probably this one. People involved with investigating this ark include Ron Wyatt and David Fasold (his book 'Discovery of Noah's Ark'). Geologist Lorence Collins claims this one is a geological formation. But it may depend on what 'gopher' is, and on the lava that engulfed it in later times.
3. Cornuke's claimed ark candidate in Mt Suleiman in n.w. Iran (which he reckons was part of ancient Urartu). (I didn't think this one was as far east as Elburz. But apparently it is in Elburz. Interestingly i have also considered that Elburz might be Ararat when i was looking for Aratta thereabouts and noticed similar names.)

Not sure where you could find photos. Could try google images. Chick publications and Crusader comics had some bits on some of the claimed sightings/finds.
Other areas i have also considered are Himalayas, and Antarctica.

The bible says the ark came to rest in the mountains of Ararat which name is often considered to be cognate with Urartu (and the Alarodians in Herodotus), though Rohl? suggested it may match Aratta of ancient Sumerian epics.
Josephus said the ark was to be seen/found in Armenia in his days and cited Berosus saying similar.
The ark's landing site in other accounts is Lubar (Jewish), Nisir/Nimush (Sumerian), Amasis/Masis/Baris (Akkadian), Judi/Djoudi (Arab/Muslim), Parnassus (Greek).

Ararat might be relate to either: Urartian? Alarodian (Herodotus)? Aratta? Arsareth (Esdras)? Araxes? Aryana-vaejo? Araret (5th/6th dyn, Bey)? Arctic/Antarctic? Aralu/Arali? Agartha/Agarthi? Anatolia? Alalakh? Arzap? a_rata? Aranzah(as)? Eridu (Oannes)? La-ra-ak? Allatu? Arfaday (Moriah)? Uauat? Uluru? Altai? Atlas?

A geologist said to me that Noah wouldn't have had enough lumber to build and ark, and couldn't have cut it with obsidian tools, etc. Gopher might not be wood.

I couldn't find a free transliterated version of the epic of Gilgamesh but in the English translation it implies he built it from his reed hut material.

The Hebrew says atzey-gofer (atzey "tree/firmness/wood/sticks", gopher/gofer "to house in, a kind of tree/wood (as used for buildng), cypress?")

Greek has xylon tetragonon "square timber"
Latin has lignis levigatis "smoothed/planed wood"
Aramaic has qadros "cedar"
Syriac has arqa "box"

Gopher has been suggested to be similar to either:
Egyptian Khepera/Khepri/Khopri "cement, dung"
Aramaic/Syriac kaphar/kophra "tomb"
Greek kopron "dunghill"
Babylonian gushure is erini "cedar beams"
Assyrian giparu "reeds"
Greek kuparisson "cypress"
Hebrew kofer/kopher "pitch(ed wood)"
English/Indoeuropean coffin.

Hebrew g = Egyptian kh, e.g. Negev/Negeb & Nekhab.

NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>