Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is Jesus Christ, Really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is Jesus Christ, Really?
    Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 20:23
You were there :) We all were we just passed through a veil so we forgot things we knew. It is so we rely on faith to get us through this mortal sojurn
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 20:28
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

In the end if Jesus existed it makes no difference, he might have been just some random Palestinian speechman who had spent too much time in the sun and began preaching. Most likely no one even listened him. All theories are equally valid because there is no way to prove anything.

One thing that makes it hard to say what Jesus is like is that the main parts of his story from the bible are taken from the Zoroastrian myth Mithras, which was a while before Jesus. Mithras, the son of God, born on December 25 to a virgin. He later was crucified.

Sounds very similar to the Christian Jesus, eh?

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 20:31
Originally posted by Le Renard

You were there :) We all were we just passed through a veil so we forgot things we knew. It is so we rely on faith to get us through this mortal sojurn

Rely on faith? Why should a person have faith whenever the thing you are having faith in you cannot see, talk to and get a response from, or even hear? There is no evidence that we ever knew anything about a higher power, so why should I believe in that being?

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 03:26

Can someone explain to me or direct me to a good website that explains more about the Apocryphal Gospels, such as the Gospel of Thomas, Mary Magdalene, and Judas.
Why were these Gospels not included in the New Testament? And and what exactly was the influence of IRENAEUS in this whole matter?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 07:35
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

In the premortal existence there was a great meeting in Heaven where God presented his plan unto his children (us).

Really? Why wasn't I invited then?

Your e-mail bounced.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 07:37
I can't see how Christianity got started without someone to start it. Which is my reason for believing Jesus existed.

Nobody ever started a religion with a committee.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 08:23
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Can someone explain to me or direct me to a good website that explains more about the Apocryphal Gospels, such as the Gospel of Thomas, Mary Magdalene, and Judas.
Why were these Gospels not included in the New Testament? And and what exactly was the influence of IRENAEUS in this whole matter?

Haven't got time to explain it all, but the existing canon of the New Testament as accepted now by all mainstream Christian Churches was fixated at the end of the 4th century, the main influence was St. Anasthasius of Alexandria, as a selection of all the gospels and other texts that were circulating ( and there were numerous) at the time, as those that were representing most and best the then official doctrins of the Churchs.
All other texts were excluded and many anathematised.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 08:38
Originally posted by Komnenos

Haven't got time to explain it all, but the existing canon of the New Testament as accepted now by all mainstream Christian Churches was fixated at the end of the 4th century, the main influence was St. Anasthasius of Alexandria, as a selection of all the gospels and other texts that were circulating ( and there were numerous) at the time, as those that were representing most and best the then official doctrins of the Churchs. All other texts were excluded and many anathematised.

True, although it was more characterized by adding in things (usually by supposedly unknown authors) than excluding things. The early lists of synodical canon were generally shorter than the present one, which is one of the longest.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 08:57

One thing that makes it hard to say what Jesus is like is that the main parts of his story from the bible are taken from the Zoroastrian myth Mithras, which was a while before Jesus. Mithras, the son of God, born on December 25 to a virgin. He later was crucified.

Really??? What about Islam???

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 13:55
When you search back will you get a connection between christianity and myths from the stone age, basically it had to have come from the cave religions. It would be fascinating to get a connection between some animistic myths from let's say 10,000BC and Abrahamic religions.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 16:02

When you search back will you get a connection between christianity and myths from the stone age, basically it had to have come from the cave religions. It would be fascinating to get a connection between some animistic myths from let's say 10,000BC and Abrahamic religions.

There are probably some striking similarities.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 16:02
Originally posted by machine

Really??? What about Islam???

They probably took parts from both myths.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 04:36

The  pool of "Ur-myths" is probably quite small, and determined by the eternal hopes, fears  and questions of humans.
Resurrection, Virgin birth, divine descent, self-sacrifice, the whole scope of miracles attributed to Jesus, and so on, are ever recurring themes in human intellectual speculation, and Christianity is no exception.
Not necessarily as the product of being informed or influenced by other religions, but as an expression of inherent human imagination.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 09:56
Originally posted by Komnenos

The pool of "Ur-myths" is probably quite small, and determined by the eternal hopes, fears and questions of humans.
Resurrection, Virgin birth, divine descent, self-sacrifice, the whole scope of miracles attributed to Jesus, and so on, are ever recurring themes in humanintellectual speculation, and Christianity is no exception.

Not necessarily as the product of being informed or influenced by other religions, but as an expression of inherent human imagination.

The thing is that there are very clear parallells which go far beyond simple vagueries.

For instance, in one myth, a sacred paradisical garden is created, called Dilmun, for the delight of the goddess Ninhursag. A man named Adapa is put in charge of the garden, but he becomes too curious and eats seven plants. Ninhursag becomes enraged and strikes him with a pain in his rib, whereupon the other gods suggest she should have mercy. So she creates a woman - Ninti ("Lady of the Rib") to heal him. Adapa is also identified in other writings as the first human. In another myth, Adapa angers the gods and is called to heaven to answer for himself. There, one of the gods predisposed to favour him greets him and warns him not to eat of the food for it may have been poisoned by some of the more vengeful gods. Later, among the rest of the gods, a serpent-god offers Adapa some of the food, stating that the food of the gods is the source of immortality.

Other tales feature trees in sacred gardens inhabited by problematic serpents, holy tablets of instructions, an apocalyptic flood featuring a ship filled with animals, and so on.

There is also the minor fact that Abraham himself says that he's originally from Ur.

Edited by edgewaters - 29-Jun-2006 at 09:59
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:55
He was a prophet or you can say embassador of god.

But he was just a human like all of us. or like all other prophets.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 22:49
Jesus is simply this:

Our lord and saviour who has died for our sins so that we can reach eternal glory with him in heaven and will come again to judge us to either we will go to heaven or hell. Praise be upon his name!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 23:36
Just another example of Christ bashing on an islamist owned site. The rewriting of history and the defilement of the beliefs of good people and for what? Do you really think you will win hearts and minds by hiring some turncoat intellectuals to write blasphemey? If you want to belittle Jesus take on his words.
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 23:38

He was human,  not like any other , a soul who knew and study everything.  He knew what would happen not only to himself on his mission, but  of the future of the whole human race. 

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 23:43
Originally posted by Spinnwriter

Just another example of Christ bashing on an islamist owned site. The rewriting of history and the defilement of the beliefs of good people and for what? Do you really think you will win hearts and minds by hiring some turncoat intellectuals to write blasphemey? If you want to belittle Jesus take on his words.

Wow, I didn't know when I had become one of the conspirators of an islamist owned site!?! Thank you so much for your insight, Spinnwriter. It is going to lend so much credibility to whatever you say in the future (if you still bother to come to such blasphemous site).
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 23:57
Even when I was a believer, I always had a lot of problem with the awkward way the concept of the Holy Trinity was presented to me and defended by those who talked it. As a result, even while I was leading Bible study groups, I always secretly wished no one would ask me detailed questions on this concept because I wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about. As far as I know, the concept of "Trinity" is one of the most key concepts in Christianity that do not have a clear scriptural basis and it is definitely a subsequent theological "add-on".

Can anyone enlighten me on this issue (even just for discussion's sake, not for reconverting me to Christianity Wink  ). Akolouthos?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>