Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Etymology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suevari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Etymology
    Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 05:17
Does any one have any good websites giving the roots of words in any language but specifically Turkish and other Turkc words?

Kokenbilim as it's called in Turkish is interesting so I wonder if anyone has any good sites to share about the roots of words in modern Turkish/Turkic.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 03:05

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/index1.html

I lost the address of a very good site that had etymology dictionaries for lots of languages that Julia on http://forum.atlan.org/ (unable to access last couple months) gave me but it might be same as one above?

I have been studying the etymology of deity names so if that is part of your interest then I could give some of my findings tho I don't have quite as many Ural-Altaic ones as some other lang families.

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 13-Jun-2006 at 03:11
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 03:44
English cow/kine/bovine, Egyptian kaui, Sumerian gud, Hebrew goyim, Arab kujata, Celtic bo, Indian go/gauh, Iran gosh/geus, Minoan (lost), German kuh, Maori kahui, Dravidian kan-iyal/kana/gomeda, Greek bous, Latin bo(vi)s.

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 13-Jun-2006 at 03:51
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 13:59
Actually, "Vous" in Greek means "Ox".
"Cow" is "Alef".
CARRY NOTHING
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 01:14
in comparative linguistics you will find that words not only can change spelling but also meaning.
the oirginal lnguage would not have had more  than one word  for exactly same thing, but would have had different words for slightly different things like say ham, bacon and pork. so change in meaning would be most likely between these slightly different/almost same words. hence ox, cow, vitelus, urus, bull, aleph, steer, etc. (is vous actually the same as bous?)
Grk alef would rather be Hebrew aleph, Chaldee lu(p)?, Chinese lu(p)?, Malay lombu/lembu, Eddic arfi, Sumer-Akkad alpu, Engl elephant?, etc.

Egypt neka, Hebrew nachash, American (na)chan, Italic anguis/anguilla, English snake/snail, India naga, Sumer nuk, Maori neke/nakahi/ngeangea/ngunu/ngoi/ngoki/ngaweki.

Sumer-Akkad (t)sir/sir(rush), English serpent/-saur, India sarpati, Malay serpa/siput, Italic serpere/serpens, Hebrew seraph(im), Egypt ser.

ps: the g/k/c interchanging with the b does seem a little difficult but it is  verifiable (eg giris/boreas), and as it is one has to accept that bovis and cow are cognate.

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 16-Jun-2006 at 01:21
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 04:51
Alef (grk written "ΑΛΕΥ") is the original word for "cow" in greek.
Alef has actually given its name to the letter too, Alfa, the first letter of the alphabet, which is an ideogram and if seen upside-down it is the head of a cow.
Vous (grk "ΒΟΥΣ") is the ox and it is pronounced vous, because the letter B in greek is pronounced V. The greek language inherently does not include the sound "B" as in the word ball; it rather uses two letters for a similar sound, "M-P" and it is pronounced like this too, although as speech goes faster there is a tendency to consolidate it to a phthongue sounding like "M-B".

Serpent comes from greek "erpeton" from the word "erpo" (grk "ΕΡΠΩ"), meaning "I crowl".

Letter "g", or rather "Γ" (gamma), in greek is pronounced either as a throaty "w" or as a sharper "y", depending on the following letters, and not as the latin sound "g". So there is actually no interchanging with "b" which, as I explained before, goes not really exist in the greek language.

Edited by Menippos - 17-Jun-2006 at 04:57
CARRY NOTHING
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2012 at 12:01
Turkish Language Association has many dictionaries. These two can help who is interested in this subject
*Büyük Türkçe Sözlük (Big/Main Dictionary) http://tdkterim.gov.tr/bts/
(this is the largest one)

*Türkçede Batı Kökenli Kelimeler Sözlüğü (Dictionary of words which come from Western languages)
http://www.tdkterim.gov.tr/bati/

tips: Alm= German, Fr=French, İng=English, İt=Italian, Rum=Greek

and Mr. Nişanyan has one too. His dictionary is here (Turkish Etymologic Dictionary)
http://www.nisanyansozluk.com/

also he is managing a project which is about origin of the settlements' names: Index Anatolicus
http://www.nisanyanmap.com/

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply