Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Army of Maurya

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Army of Maurya
    Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:34
I found that Gorkhali posted this on heavengames a few years back and im sure he wouldnt mind me copying it onto this forum:
Originally posted by Gorkhali

The Mauryan empire was the first empire that managed to unite all of India. This was partially because of their complex army structure.

Like most ancient Indian armies, the Mauryan army had 4 types of troops- elephant (gaja), chariot (ratha), cavalry (turanga), and infantry (pada).

The army was broken into many units. The smallest unit was called a patti, and had 1 chariot, 1 elephant, 3 cavalry and 5 infantry. The elephant and chariot would typically be in the center with the cavalry and infantry surrounding them. Three patti made up a Sena mukha, and three Sena Mukha made up a Gulma. Other divisions were the Gana, Vahini, Pratana, Camu and Ani kini, each of which was three times as big as the one preceding it. The Aksauhini was composed of ten Ani kini, and was the largest unit in an army.

The Mauryan army had multiple Aksauhini's. The standing army had three-quarter million troops, one of the largest armies in the world at the time.

A variety of formations were used in the Mauryan army. Formations were known as vyuha, each one had a center, two flanks and two wings. There were thirty main vyuha used, divided into four main categories. One example of a vyuha would be the Padma vyuha or lotus formation.

It would be easy to visualise the 'padma vyuha' if it is imagined as a six pointed star. The Deputy Commanders-in-Chief would be placed at each outer point of the petals and at the inner end, where each end of lotus petal joins with the other, to form an inner-circle resembling the corolla of the lotus, the Commanders-in-Chief would be stationed. The space between any two 'petals' is the only access to reach the centre of the 'lotus' where the Supreme Commander was placed. If a contingent of enemy soldiers moved between any two petals for this purpose, the petals would close in and crush the invader like the powerful tentacles of a crab.

The Garuda Vyuha or eagle formation was another commonly used formation.

The Garuda Vyuha had a 'beak' where the best elite Kshatriya soldiers would be placed in tight wedge formation. The 'head,' behind the beak had a small contigent of reserves, also of good quality. Often, war elephants would be placed in the beak and head. Two broad 'wings' would sweep out behind the head, with the swiftest troops- the chariots and cavalry at the outside. Behind the wings, the body, would consist of reserves.

Some other formations:

Suchi Vyuha- Needle formation

Chayana Vyuha- Hawk formation

Mala Vyuha- Garland formation

Karuncha vyuha- Heron formation

Makara vyuha- Fish formation

Padma vyuha- Lotus formation

Kurma vyuha- Turtle formation

Trishula vyuha- Trident formation

Chakra vyuha- Wheel or Discus formation

Garuda vyuha- Eagle formation

The Mauryan army was composed of people all over the subcontinent. In addition, Chandragupta Maurya did not discriminate against different castes, as he was of low caste himself (reputedly he was the son of a peacock tamer ). As a result, there were soldiers in his army from all castes, making the army very diverse.

The core of the army was composed of Uttarapathian warriors, from central and western India. Uttarapatha had many militaristic peoples like the Kambojas, Yavanas, Sakas and Vardas. Other peoples in the Mauryan army were the Maghadas, Assamese, and Cheras. Even the Nagas (literally serpents, because they worshiped cobras), a mystical people to the east, were incorporated into the army.

Mauryan commander

Edited by Anujkhamar - 04-Jun-2006 at 12:38
Hehe View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hehe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 18:33

Mauryan Empire in Videogame:

Originally posted by Prof

MAURYAN EMPIRE

From WIKIPEDIA....

The game begins in 220 BC so the actual ruler of the Mauryan Empire is Bindusara....

MAURYAN UNITS

Sainika

Dhana dirgha Sainika

Ksipati Sainika

Ghandara Sainika

Ksatrya Asva

Ksatrya Rhata

Yuddha Rhata

Yuddha Gaja

Gaja Rajha

Ksatrya

Ghada Ksatrya

Edited by Hehe - 04-Jun-2006 at 18:34
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 19:04
Thanks alot for the input Hehe, the reason i chose Gorkhali was becasue this was his original writting, and he was once a member of this forum (still to date the most knowledgable person i've met on Indian history).

Your pictures (Prof's pics) are a brilliant addition. I'm going to look for other writtings by him on this topic too and post it here, im sure he wouldn't mind. Infact i'll submit it under his name, as it is what he would want.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 01:05
I think the Mauryas did not conquer most of Balochistan and the Frontier province.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 09:52
could you post a source? I was under the impression it expanded upto the Hindu Kush.

The above map may be exagarated, however it shows the maximum possible extent.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 15:51
yeah what ever happened to Gorkhali? i've seen a couple of posts of him here but he seems to have dissapeared?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 16:03
Last time i asked he mentioned College commitments. I'm sure one day he'll be back, but it's been a year already.

The dorum just isnt the same without him.
 Post Reply Post Reply