Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strongest Ancient Asian Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strongest Ancient Asian Empire
    Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 15:06
China was too advanced for a medieval age, Japan did with feudalistic rule, and it was nt very good.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 16:00

I think this poll demonstrates the proportion of Chinese and Koreans on this board rather than actual opinions on which of these regimes were powerful.  Just look at the numbers.  =)

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 17:03
MengTzu has a good point
Grrr..
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 17:11

well... I am well versed in Chinese culture but I still voted for the Ancient Corean.  Because in Sui and Tang dynasty, the Coreans did kick some ass.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 19:05

"well... I am well versed in Chinese culture but I still voted for the Ancient Corean.  Because in Sui and Tang dynasty, the Coreans did kick some ass."

Korea was eventually occupied by the Tang. At least at some points of history. It's true that it won some wars after Tang's decline but Tang definitely had superior power over the Koreans.

It's like the Vietnam war. The US definitely was a stronger country but it still lost the war. The difference is Tang actually occupied part of Korea before its decline in power in the 9th century.

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 19:17
Originally posted by coolstorm

Korea was eventually occupied by the Tang. At least at some points of history. It's true that it won some wars after Tang's decline but Tang definitely had superior power over the Koreans.

Eh..I don't see the point...

Shinla immediately kicked out Tang and Barhae(Bohai) came pretty quick...and in terms of Tang dominating I tenatively agree....they were a dominating power in ASia...although that doesn't justify how some textbooks show korea as part of Tang lands...

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 19:33

It's true that it won some wars after Tang's decline

I thought the only war between Tang and Korea after Tang's decline was Palhae's taking of Liaodong around year 800.. the rest happened while Tang was on the rise..

---

btw i voted for Manchu empire.. the poll question is 'who will win?'..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 19:42

When we talk about the power of an empire, you have to evaluate everything which includes the level of advanced science, cultural influence, military etc. Winning one or two battles isn't an indicator for anything. Both Japanese and Korean cultures were under the influence of the Tang, agree?

I know some patriotic koreans might not agree but it was true.

The Japanese language is based upon the Chinese language and uses Han Chinese characters. That's why when Chinese people read Japanese, they can at least get the meaning and when Japanese people read Chinese, they can get the meaning of the text as well.

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 20:15

When we talk about the power of an empire, you have to evaluate everything which includes the level of advanced science, cultural influence, military etc.

then why does your poll question say 'who will win?'

Both Japanese and Korean cultures were under the influence of the Tang, agree?

wrong way to say it.. both Japan and Korea accepted some aspects of Tang culture..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:00

"wrong way to say it.. both Japan and Korea accepted some aspects of Tang culture.."

Wrong way to say.. both Japan and Korea were under Chinese cultural influence. Not Tang but Chinese. But accepted but were under influence. Check any western history text and it will say the same thing with the same wording.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:20

The Japanese language is based upon the Chinese language and uses Han Chinese characters. That's why when Chinese people read Japanese, they can at least get the meaning and when Japanese people read Chinese, they can get the meaning of the text as well.

I get what your're saying here..but the way you said it was incorrect.  Japanese was not based upon the Chinese language...it borrowed from it...
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:24

"I get what your're saying here..but the way you said it was incorrect.  Japanese was not based upon the Chinese language...it borrowed from it..."

It is based upon it in terms of structure, character, and the origin of the Japanese language itself. The Japanese language was developed from the Chinese language. Check any western texts, it will say the same thing.

Ancient Koreans also used Chinese but modern Korean is from another language family similar to that of Manchurian, Mongolian.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:26
The Japanese language "IS" still based upon the Chinese language as of today!
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:29

The Japanese language "IS" still based upon the Chinese language as of today!

Umm...okay...there is no proof that Japanese belongs to any language group...I agree that Japanese borrowed many words from Chinese, but it's situation is similar to Korean...It's roots are presumed to be in the Tugustic or Austrnesian families
battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:29
no, first time i heard that. they're not even in the same language family. you're talking about kanji? thats a writing system that they use among 2 other writing systems. the language itself is NOT based on chinese.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:44

"but it's situation is similar to Korean...It's roots are presumed to be in the Tugustic or Austrnesian families"

true for korean but wrong for japanese. japanese is based upon chinese and is the same family as chinese. so is tibetan.

Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 22:10

Actually, historical linguists don't generally agree on the origin of the spoken Japanese language, and have a few different theories.

1. Japanese is a relative of the Altaic language family. Other languages in this group include Mongolian, and Turkish. Evidence for this theory lies in the fact that like Finnish, Estonian, Turkish, and Korean, Japanese is an agglutinative language, with two (phonologically distinctive) tones, similar to Serbian/Croatian and Swedish. This tonal system is often referred to as a pitch accent in linguistics. Additionally, there are a suggestive number of apparently regular correspondences in basic vocabulary, such as ishi "stone" to Turkic da, yottsu "four" to Turkic drt.
2. Japanese is a relative of other Asian languages. This theory maintains that Japanese split from - or had large influences from - other East Asian languages such as Korean (and possibly the Sino-Tibetan languages). Phonological and lexical similarities to Malayo-Polynesian languages have been noted.
3. Japanese is related to southern Asian languages. Some researchers have suggested a possible relationship between Japanese and Tamil, a member of the Dravidian language family spoken in southern India.
4. Japanese is a kind of creole, with an Altaic grammatical substructure, and core Austronesian vocabulary.
5. Japanese is a language isolate, unrelated to any other known language except other Japonic languages (notably Okinawan).

Edited by Bryan
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 22:21
the difference between Japanese and Chinese even more obvious  than between English and Chinese.
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 22:46

yeah i know there are a few theories on origins of japanese...related to korean, related to altaic (and also korean), related to both altaic and polynesian etc....so far as i know Mandarin or Cantonese are not even among candidate languages.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 00:52

"yeah i know there are a few theories on origins of japanese...related to korean, related to altaic (and also korean), related to both altaic and polynesian etc....so far as i know Mandarin or Cantonese are not even among candidate languages."

Please explain why the structure of Japanese is basically the same between Chinese and Japanese? I am talking about writing structure.

And all Chinese and Japanese people can understand each other's writing and get the core meaning. Please explain how that could happen.

Maybe one day you could show a Japanese script to a Turkish and ask him what it means.

All the signs and names in Japan are in Chinese. Maybe one day you can set up some Chinese traffic signs or toilet signs in Turkey and expect the Turkish to use them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>