Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BEST WARSHIP OF THE WORLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST WARSHIP OF THE WORLD
    Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 19:00

Well Giordano, if you seek the truth you might discover that truth is not what you thought of being truth.

I've given you some sources, but as you have noticed some are impossible for me to share with you. It's not really bothering me to give sources it's just that you seem not to have an oppinion or bring arguments into discussion. Or facts.

This is a discussion forum after all. Not a "post some links" or "where did you get that?". I'm not a MOD or ADM to settle the rules but you can certainly ask them if you want to know what this forum is about.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 05:59
Peter II from Russia
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by Laelius

Currently the best warship in the world would be this beauty
[IMG]height=217 src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b0/USS_Nimitz_1997.jpg/290px-USS_Nimitz_1997.jpg" width=290>

But as consistent with the rest of this thread I'd have to go with this warship

[IMG]height=374 src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1f/Uss_wisconsin_bb.JPG/300px-Uss_wisconsin_bb.JPG" width=300>

Is that ship the USS Ronald Reagan?

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 23:02
Says Nimitz on the link. Though the Reagan is a nimitz class that carrier has F-14's on the back of the deck. The Reagan uses 4 wings of hornets. So its probably the Nimitz
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
pogy366 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pogy366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 13:39
... in terms of overall impact on tactics in the 20th century, it has to go to the aircraft carrier.

In the end battleships were more political extensions of their country and were outdated the minute carriers became operational. Huge capital ships represented a form of naval warfare from the previous century and there were only a rare handful of surface engagements during WWII that actually happened - the very type of surface engagement that the admirals had been training for since the battleship slid down the ways.

Battleships were eventually used to provide support for carrier or transport formations rather than being the center piece for their navy.

Of course, from my perspective, the best warship of the world is no skimmer. Wink Hands-down its the submarine. It's military and political impact can't be ignored or overshadowed by the battlewagons, who have always gotten more attention.

The other vessel that put 20th century naval tactics and doctrine on its ear was the Type XXI u-boat. It represented a vast change in underwater warfare and ASW for all ocean going nations.

"Better to be a geek than an idiot. "
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 00:54
Originally posted by pogy366

Of course, from my perspective, the best warship of the world is no skimmer. Wink Hands-down its the submarine. It's military and political impact can't be ignored or overshadowed by the battlewagons, who have always gotten more attention.

It's because you can't see them most of the bloody time...LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 00:16
The key issue about the Dreadnought which rendered all previous battleships redundant, (there are numerous examples from WW1 of Pre-Dreadnought battleships being easily destroyed by Dreadnoughts), was that they replaced a mixed armament of a few larger guns, plus numbers of medium sized guns with the 'All Big Gun' battleship.

In addition, the various barbettes and turrets, or central batteries of the Pre-Dreadnought were replaced with a rationalised turret arrangement that could be effectively controlled through superior fire direction technology.

With superior or equivalent speed through the use of oil fired turbines they could choose the range at which they would engage at.

A Pre-Dreadnought with 2-4 9.2" guns would be hugely disadvantaged vs a Dreadnought with 6-12 9.2" or larger. The Dreadnought could simply remain beyond the effective range of the Pre-Dreadnought's smaller guns and pound it to bits.

The change in tactics this effected was to change the range of engagement, from a fairly close range of broadside to broadside (the British Navy was still performing boarding drills as late as the 1890's), to a genuine 'duel' of individual ships or ship lines. This also nullified the Torpedo Boats (early destroyers) which some French Naval Theorists of the 'Jeune Ecole' (Young School) thought would make all battleships redundant.

(The Monitor style warship (Merrimac and Virginia of the American Civil War) - heavily armour plated and steam propelled didn't change the style of warfare, it was just better armour plating.)

The German High Seas Fleet had a second-line squadron of Pre-Dreadnoughts, (2nd Battle Squadron) consisting of the best of it's pre 1906 designs, and this took a battering at Jutland in 1916, losing Pommern.

The Dreadnought genuinely changed the course of history by rendering every other battleship obsolete overnight for fleet duties. The man responsible for the innovation, First Sea Lord of Great Britain 'Jackie' Fisher, (although the original designs were by an Italian Naval Architect), was condemned, because he had made British Naval Superiority (of numbers) disappear as other navies scrambled to build Dreadnoughts of their own.

For a view of the naval race of the early 20th Century and the Dreadnought, try 'Massey' "Dreadnought".

regards

Admiral
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 11:44

For me, one of the best ship designs was the New Jersey class battleships.

Nine 16" guns were backed by excellent armour speed, radar and optics.   The only Battleships with bigger guns were  Yamato and Mushashi.  Both of these were clumsy giants lacking effective radar.  In addition, I think that 18"  guns were very inefficent for  rate of fire, traverse times, recoil etc.  

jacobtowne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote jacobtowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 13:07
Actually, New Jersey was an Iowa class ship.

Off topic, but  the next class, Montana, is the battleship that never existed.

With an intended standard displacement of 60,500 tons, they were nearly a third larger than the preceding Iowa class, four of which were the final battleships actually completed by the United States. The Montanas were intended to carry twelve 16" /50 caliber guns, three more than the earlier class.
Now that would have been a battleship to marvel at, but the events of December 7th, 1941, and the subsequent Battle of Midway six months later brought down the curtain on the era of big gun navies.

JT

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 19:45
Originally posted by jacobtowne

Ooops, thanks for the correction.   I  guess I asumed that because New Jersey is better known, she must have carried the Class designator as well Embarrassed.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 21:52
Originally posted by jacobtowne

Off topic, but  the next class, Montana, is the battleship that never existed.

With an intended standard displacement of 60,500 tons, they were nearly a third larger than the preceding Iowa class, four of which were the final battleships actually completed by the United States. The Montanas were intended to carry twelve 16" /50 caliber guns, three more than the earlier class.
Now that would have been a battleship to marvel at, but the events of December 7th, 1941, and the subsequent Battle of Midway six months later brought down the curtain on the era of big gun navies.

JT

Wow. Those would have been magnificent ships. I think one should be built anway. There is not much more awe inspiring than a battleship.
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 09:12
The Dreadnought genuinely changed the course of history by rendering every other battleship obsolete overnight for fleet duties. The man responsible for the innovation, First Sea Lord of Great Britain 'Jackie' Fisher, (although the original designs were by an Italian Naval Architect), was condemned, because he had made British Naval Superiority (of numbers) disappear as other navies scrambled to build Dreadnoughts of their own.

For a view of the naval race of the early 20th Century and the Dreadnought, try 'Massey' "Dreadnought".

regards

This is incorrect, other Navies were working on their own "all big gun" warships well before the Dreadnought was launched, the Japanese Satsuma was laid down in 1904 and plans for the South Carolina were presented at the beginning of 04 and wasn't laid down until 06.  In fact I would argue that the Dreadnought was itself was made obselete two years later with launching of the South Carolina class with its classic centerline gun arrangement.  Though I think it commendable that the British Navy moved so quickly on their in developing such a vessel based upon the experiences of the Russo-Japanese war and the theories of a number of Naval strategists I fail to see how the Dreadnought 'revolutionized' Naval warfare.
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:08
Originally posted by Laelius

regards

This is incorrect, other Navies were working on their own "all big gun" warships well before the Dreadnought was launched, the Japanese Satsuma was laid down in 1904 and plans for the South Carolina were presented at the beginning of 04 and wasn't laid down until 06.  In fact I would argue that the Dreadnought was itself was made obselete two years later with launching of the South Carolina class with its classic centerline gun arrangement.  Though I think it commendable that the British Navy moved so quickly on their in developing such a vessel based upon the experiences of the Russo-Japanese war and the theories of a number of Naval strategists I fail to see how the Dreadnought 'revolutionized' Naval warfare.

Other navies may have been developing "Dreadnaught" style battleships but there are no prizes for coming second or third!!  Dreadnaught was the first of it's type to enter service and did render all earlier battleships obselete overnight.  It was a new concept in Battleship design, The South Carolina's and indeed all subsequent class of battleships up to and including the Yamato and Iowa class ships were simply improved Dreadnaughts!!  No single warship has ever had that kind of impact on the entire world before or since. 
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 21:35
Other navies may have been developing "Dreadnaught" style battleships but there are no prizes for coming second or third!! 

Let me ask you this, did the Dreadnought affect US and Japanese ship design?

Dreadnaught was the first of it's type to enter service and did render all earlier battleships obselete overnight.

It did, but so what, other navies were in the process of developing newer battleships based upon the theories of prominent naval strategists and events in the Russo- Japanese war.  Dreadnought did not have the dramatic effect you claim and her entry into service was not revolutionary, she was merely an improvement. 

aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 18:42
 QUOTE:
Other navies may have been developing "Dreadnaught" style battleships but there are no prizes for coming second or third!! 

Let me ask you this, did the Dreadnought affect US and Japanese ship design?

Dreadnaught was the first of it's type to enter service and did render all earlier battleships obselete overnight.

It did, but so what, other navies were in the process of developing newer battleships based upon the theories of prominent naval strategists and events in the Russo- Japanese war.  Dreadnought did not have the dramatic effect you claim and her entry into service was not revolutionary, she was merely an improvement. 
 QUOTE:

Prior to Dreadnaught, Battleships all over the world were a mismash of different designs based on different views and needs. After Dreadnaught battleship design was standardised ( based on Dreadnaught) all over the globe and all subsequent Battleships right up to the Iowa class were simply improved versions of this one design. So Dreadnaught was revolutionary and everything after her were the improvements!!

The link provided shows that the rest of the world including the USA followed the building of Dreadnaught with a keen eye so it is pretty safe to say that Dreadnaught did influence US Battleship design even if it was to confirm that they were on the right track!!

As for Japan, Britain built an improved Dreadnaught  (Kongo) for Japan and then sold the blueprints to them so they could build their own!!,  so yes I suggest that Dreadnaught did influence Japanese Battleship design.

We are all entitled to our opinions but for you non believers simply look in any book or web page about Dreadnaught and they all say the same, "revolutionary design"  "put Battleship design on a new level" etc etc.

have all these naval historians got it wrong?

Edited by aghart - 30-Oct-2006 at 17:08
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Heliopolis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Heliopolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 08:40
Originally posted by aghart

[snip]

have all these naval historians got it wrong?

As the owner of the site linked above, I just want to make clear that I, for my part, am not a naval historian.  I just went to a school whose mascot was a dreadnaught.  And I like big ships with bigger guns. Smile  Thanks for the nod, though!
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 18:30
Sorry for the long delay but Aghart, in a word and in a sense... yes

look I'm not trying to say that the Dreadnought wasn't remarkable but I firmly believe that you are overstating the ships significance, even if it did revolutionize battleship design its impact on history I am sorry to say is utterly unimportant and negligible.  Its influence lasted no more than perhaps 40 years when the last 'battleships' were built and perhaps 35 years in which they were still the lords of the sea. 

As to its influence on battleship design, I'll concede that she forced a number of navies to adapt and build dreadnought like ships of their own.  Yet she influenced US ship design no more than US ship designs, such as the South Carolina, influenced the later Super Dreadnoughts of the Orion class with its centerline gun arrangements.  The weakness of your position in, my opinion, is that you're ascribing far too much importance to a single ship when most navies in the world were moving towards building all big gun warships of their own.  Following the battle of the Tsushima Straits the writing was on the walls What Dreadnought really did was demonstrate the excellence and determination of the Royal Navy to remain the finest in the world. 

If youre argument is based on the Dreadnought being the most effective ship at sea between 06-08 well then Id agree you.  Yet if youre looking for a truly revolutionary ship then Id have to go with the English race built galleon. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234