Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BEST WARSHIP OF THE WORLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST WARSHIP OF THE WORLD
    Posted: 15-May-2006 at 10:45

We've got one on tanks, why not have one on ships?

I like warship from all ages (Ironclads onwards), but i've been really into WW2 ones from last year. I'm actually working on a model battleship at the moment, about two third complete, though i think i'll postpone it's completion indefinitely now that i can't be bothered getting back to it.

I'll first post two rather famous ones:

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 08:37
The Von Bismark is famous because it has sunk the HMS Hood, before being sunk itself by the British fleet. The Hood itself was poorly built and was plagued by problems all along its construction, there were supposed to be lot more built but they were cancelled because of repeated problems on the design.

The Von Bismark was a 41,000 tons warship and couldn't be built bigger because of restriction on Germany. It had 8 360mm canons.

Often totaly understimated was the Richelieu class. 2 were built, 2 more were under construction when WWII broke, they were 48,OOO tons warship and showed among the most reliable, their ton speed was 30 knots which was the fastest back then for those type of ships they had 8 380mm canons (compared to the 360mm of the Bismarck) adding to the fast those could fire at the lower point of the ennemy's ships due to their uncommon arrangement.

At Dakar, despite the fact the Richelieu was damaged by air raid it routed 2 British destroyers (the HMS Barham and the HMS Resolution) the Richelieu then joined the free French forces and fought in the pacific the Japanese fleet along with the American, it was in Tokyo when Japan signed the surrender.

The sistership the Jean Bart wasn't finished when WWII broke and sailed to Casablanca with 25% of it uncomplete and with only one of its 4 canons turret installed, although unfinished it engaged the American ship USS Massassuchets while being bombed by the aircraft carrier "USS Ranger". After several bombs the Americans thought it was done yet it still managed to open fire on the USS Augusta after being too damaged too keep fighting the ship surrendered to "Free France". After the war it was completed in France.

Both of those ship then took action in the Suez Crisis.

Back side

Although the Japanese Yamato class was bigger and more powerful the Richelieu class is often considered among the most powerful battleship ever built.

Edited by Exarchus - 16-May-2006 at 08:44
Vae victis!
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 10:06
    Yes yes French and Italian ships in WWII are often overlooked probably because their career wasn't as illustrious as those from other major navies...I know I have totally ignored Italian ships in the past...until I stumped across the Roma...which is just as beatiful as their Ferrari...Wink

Edited by babyblue - 16-May-2006 at 10:07
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 10:09
why is the new left/right scrolling function so lame?
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 11:27
HMS Agincourt, probably the biggest dreadnought during the WW I.

HMS Agincourt was ordered by Ottoman Empire before WW I and built in the British docks in order to be sold to Ottoman Empire.Ottoman Empire paid all the money to buy the dreadnought.The money was provided very hardly, by benevolent donations of folk, women even giving away their golden necklaces,bracelets...

But,as the handover date came,and Turkish crew went to England to take the ship, the WW I had begun, and after Churchill's orders, the handover of the ship was halted and decided it would be used in services of Royal Navy. The money wasn't given back to Ottoman Empire.The Turkish name for the ship was Sultan Osman.

This ship, among with HMS Erin(Reshadieh), which also hasn't been handed over to Ottomans,had formed one of the main reasons of Ottoman entrance to the war together with the Central Powers.

Finally,during the WW I, this ship had left the British northern naval bases for several times, and fought in the famous Battle of Jutland, but the ship had balance problems..When its huge cannons were roaring, the ship was terribly swinging, so it had been inactive in the later episode of naval war and the problem couldn't be fixed.It had later been a scrap and probably turned into thousands of razorbladesSmile

Edited by Kapikulu - 16-May-2006 at 16:54
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 11:31
Originally posted by babyblue

Yes yes French and Italian ships in WWII are often overlooked probably because their career wasn't as illustrious as those from other major navies...I know I have totally ignored Italian ships in the past...until I stumped across the Roma...which is just as beatiful as their Ferrari...Wink

When you used the word "Illustrious" in a sentence about Italian navy, another fact came to my mind :)

The name of the British carrier,which made an attack on Italian naval base of Taranto and severely mauled the Italian navy, was HMS Illustrious.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 12:56
The Italian navy was pretty darn good and they had by far the best  frogmen. French navy in WW2 was either taken into the Royal Navy or destroyed to prevent it falling into Vichy hands by a British fleet.
As for the HMS Agincourt-Kapikulu, sorry but what was Britian going to do. As far as the British view went they would hold onto the ships and if the Ottomans stayed neutral or joined the Allies they would have been given back. But handing over some very nice ships to an enemy which was highly likely to join your opponents would probably earn a top 10 dumb war time moves. They didnt actually immediately seize it and induct it into the RN until the Ottomans had declared war.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 14:36
don't like the Bismarck at all it is really just famous for sinking an outdated ww1 ship, at least the Scharnhorst did sunk a British carrier, though the U-boats also managed to do both things. Italian battleships were really crap, no comparison, even the newer Vittorio Veneto class was outclassed by all other new battleships of other countries. my personal favourite is the Richelieu of course, even though the Iowa and perhaps the Yamato were stronger. the Bismarck had 380mm though, not 360mm.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 15:19
My choice would be the Iowa class and the Missouri in particular. I got to visit the "Mighty Mo" as a child and was impressed by the size of it's 16" shells which were taller than I was at the time.

At over 45,000 tons, 33 knots, 9- 16"/50 guns with modern radar and fire control and many AA guns the Iowas were very capable BBs.

Oops
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 16:41
For mid XIX cent. I would say the Fench ironclad battleship Solferino, the only two-decked broad side ironclad, which give him impressive firepower

Well even all those ships above are quiet heavy and had big guns they are far from the best right now, they all are easy meat for modern lighter missle cruisers 

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 16:55
Originally posted by Temujin

don't like the Bismarck at all it is really just famous for sinking an outdated ww1 ship, at least the Scharnhorst did sunk a British carrier, though the U-boats also managed to do both things. Italian battleships were really crap, no comparison, even the newer Vittorio Veneto class was outclassed by all other new battleships of other countries. my personal favourite is the Richelieu of course, even though the Iowa and perhaps the Yamato were stronger. the Bismarck had 380mm though, not 360mm.

I agree, Italian battleships were not really competitive comparing to others...This quality difference showed itself in battles against the Royal Navy in Mediterranean.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:01
Originally posted by Dampier

The Italian navy was pretty darn good and they had by far the best  frogmen. French navy in WW2 was either taken into the Royal Navy or destroyed to prevent it falling into Vichy hands by a British fleet.
As for the HMS Agincourt-Kapikulu, sorry but what was Britian going to do. As far as the British view went they would hold onto the ships and if the Ottomans stayed neutral or joined the Allies they would have been given back. But handing over some very nice ships to an enemy which was highly likely to join your opponents would probably earn a top 10 dumb war time moves. They didnt actually immediately seize it and induct it into the RN until the Ottomans had declared war.

I don't really accuse the action, I was giving general knowledge about the shipSmile

But truly, I wouldn't give the ships either, but somehow,a detaining strategy could have been used effectively
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:02
The Iowa class was modernized in the 80s as a response to the Kirov class and had Harpoon and Tomahawk ASMs to strike ships as well as phalanx and SeaSparrow for protection against air attack.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:21

I am not that good with Navy, but I would say that either japanese Yamato, or US Missouri, they were the biggest and I would say the most powerful, I might be wrong though.

Edited by Russian - 17-May-2006 at 00:23
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 09:24

Only about WWII warships.

The battleships I like most are the IJN Nagato class. The best one I think is the USN Iowa class.
I also like heavy cruisers, most of all IJN Mogami class. The Italian Heavy's are also very good looking ships.

An useful link for those interested: www.combinedfleet.com
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 09:48

check this out...Nagato, Musashi and Yamato...all in the one picture!!(though the quality of the photo is pretty shocking...

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:36
Currently the best warship in the world would be this beauty

But as consistent with the rest of this thread I'd have to go with this warship

Edited by Laelius - 18-May-2006 at 15:33
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 16:54
Battleships are so great, so much sexier than aircraft carriers.  I think in overall functional ability the iowa class is undisputably the best.  But I think the Richeleu and Yamato classes are much cooler looking.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote bleda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 17:33
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 17:40
The best in the world? it has to be the capital ship that made all others obselete the day it entered service!!  HMS Dreadnaught the first real battleship.  Bismark, Iowa, Yamato, all fine ships but just improvements on the original concept.  Aircraft carriers? ok the latest US Navy carriers are fantastic but the first carriers did not change Naval warfare overnight.  Submarines? again the latest are magnificent but the first submarines in service did not alter Naval History.

The day HMS Dreadnaught entered service she changed Naval History, changed Naval thinking and concepts, and made every capital ship on the planet obselete.  One hell of a claim to fame and unmatched anywhere in the world I think.

HMS Dreadnought (Battleship, 1906-1922)

HMS Dreadnought, an 18,110-ton battleship built at Portsmouth Dockyard, England, represented one of the most notable design transformations of the armored warship era. Her "all-big-gun" main battery of ten twelve-inch guns, steam turbine powerplant and 21-knot maximum speed so thoroughly eclipsed earlier types that subsequent battleships were commonly known as "dreadnoughts", and the previous ones disparaged as "pre-dreadnoughts". The swiftness of her construction was equally remarkable. Laid down in October 1905, she was launched in February 1906, after only four months on the ways. Dreadnought was commissioned for trials a year after her keel was laid and was completed in December 1906. Her building, trials and early service were closely watched by the World's naval authorities, including the U.S. Navy's Office of Naval Intelligence, the source of all of our photographs of Dreadnought.

The Picture and article above are from a US publication hence the incorrect spelling!!   It's DREADNAUGHT  not DREADNOUGHT.

Edited by aghart - 17-May-2006 at 17:45
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>