Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings
    Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:14
Originally posted by Decebal

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I can agree with you with most of the stuff. Some pagans are pretty crazy(like Satanists), but it does seem that non-religious are usually way more moral than religious people.

But then you could argue whether Satanists are actually pagans. I would say that they are in fact a warped version of monotheists. Most of their ideology can actually be considered to be an Abrahamic heresy. I generally agree with the statement made above. Of course, there's also exceptions, but paradoxically, atheists and agnostics seem to have more moral restraint than  the people who preach it under the Abrahamic umbrella.

Sorry, I meant the wierd teenage Gothics(some are actually pagan), not Satanists.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:45
Originally posted by Tobodai

Because all organized religions are against free will.  They say that because you can do anything you have free will, but if you say that beleiving something else condemns you to hell but you can still do it is basically saying, no debate, no introspection just beleive or die. 

Tends to stifle self examnination and questioning of authority, which are two traits I find absolutely essential in the making of a smart, indipendant human being.

Choices have consequences, whether they be in the here or the hereafter. We can freely choose to try and better ourselves; likewise, we can freely choose to do evil. As for death, it is an inevitability.

Once again, how does Christian morality stifle self-examination any more than any other belief system? Much to the contrary it gives us a proper context in which to examine ourselves. It also gives us a proper check against false authority. Since all human beings have belief systems, and indeed all recognize authority (even if they recognize themselves), I fail to see how the Christian interpretation of free-will either precludes freedom of choice or hinders self-examination.

-Akolouthos

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:47
Nazism - Hitler promised a state of happiness after he had killed over half the world.

Christianity - promises a heaven on earth after it has caused (still is) suffering to people probably on the amount that the carcasses could cover Earth with ten layers of dead people. We have followed that Hitler for 2,000 years by now, and still keep our fingers crossed.

Atleast Hitler was a real person, God is an imaginary tenfold Hitler and we love him more than anything. Twisted, grotesque.

And yes, i would never join a cult(christianity) that says i will burn in hell if i don't join.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:50
Originally posted by Pieinsky

And communism counts as a religion Loknar.  Ive seen Mao's tomb and how he is worshipped.  The communist movement has prophets, blind followers and everything else.  Indeed, politics is a religion of sorts which is why I say never trust anyone with an non practical ideology.

Then what doesn't count as a religion? Who is to decide? What is the difference between the practical and the non-practical. I believe this treads dangerously close to relativism, which is, in itself, a form of absolutism in this context.

Yea exactly, they get you when youre a little lamb, right when you see adults as wise knower of the world and when you lack a substantial amount of concepts to see their ideology flaws.

Addressed in a previous post.

-Akolouthos

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:55

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Nazism - Hitler promised a state of happiness after he had killed over half the world.

Christianity - promises a heaven on earth after it has caused (still is) suffering to people probably on the amount that the carcasses could cover Earth with ten layers of dead people. We have followed that Hitler for 2,000 years by now, and still keep our fingers crossed.

Atleast Hitler was a real person, God is an imaginary tenfold Hitler and we love him more than anything. Twisted, grotesque.

And yes, i would never join a cult(christianity) that says i will burn in hell if i don't join.

I'd be a bit more interested in engaging in a conversation regarding your original post and my response than in listening to you compare Christianity to the NAZI movement.

-Akolouthos

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 19:00
"Choices have consequences, whether they be in the here or the hereafter. We can freely choose to try and better ourselves; likewise, we can freely choose to do evil. As for death, it is an inevitability."

And God knows we are faulty, christians make faults, atheists make faults, maybe even chimpanzees make faults, and still God watches us suffer and make faults just like we did 2,000 or 6,000 or more years ago. Nothing has changed before or after christianity - God seems more and more like a massochist as he knows already by logical conclusion that it is impossible for a man to change. The experiment has lasted for millenias and millenias, we are still the same as we ever were, dieing, raping, murdering, mutilating, molesting children, committing genocide. You could actually say that genocide is a pretty new thing on large scale so we are deteriorating. God could just pull the plug if he/it had any mercy. When you look at life past the white picket fence where being a christian is a very, very comfortable habit, you'll see that redemption is going further and further on extreme levels.

"Once again, how does Christian morality stifle self-examination any more than any other belief system?"

I don't know about you, but God made me this way, i can't change my way of being or thoughts. I can't ruin Gods work.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 19:10
And as we see christianity differently i also must add that most of you christians may also burn in hell. What if the only true way of christ is of some cult with ten members in an Alabama barnhouse and the leader wrote a new Bible himself. The official Bible is a piece of literature of parts which were selected by random people after Jesus' death and from which many parts were left out because these apostels were prejudiced to some writings. So the lottery might be that only about ten people end up in heaven. Gods ways are mysterious.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 19:33

I was actually referring to the point by point post on the first page, but this will do as well.

The experiment has lasted for millenias and millenias, we are still the same as we ever were, dieing, raping, murdering, mutilating, molesting children, committing genocide. You could actually say that genocide is a pretty new thing on large scale so we are deteriorating. God could just pull the plug if he/it had any mercy. When you look at life past the white picket fence where being a christian is a very, very comfortable habit, you'll see that redemption is going further and further on extreme levels.

And when you create a universe you may govern it as you will.

Seriously though, you do raise some very important issues. Why doesn't God always intervene on behalf of the oppressed? Part of it is as a consequence of the fall and the continuing disobedience of man--insofar as that is the cause of suffering, etc. Part of it is simply incomprehensible, for God Himself is incomprehensible.

An early Church Father once asked an Angel why some were wealthy, some poor, some strong, others weak. The angel replied that the answers the monk sought belonged to the incomprehensible ways of God, and that it was not to the monks profit to learn of them. I realize this seems unsatisfactory to the uninitiated, but I think it may give you some idea how we Christians can make it through a day without killing ourselves.

I don't know about you, but God made me this way, i can't change my way of being or thoughts. I can't ruin Gods work.

I think you should probably read the rest of the post you cited and the post I wrote in response to your initial assertions. Part of your creation was the gift of free-will, which you apply every day. I do take your point though (or at least I hope it was your point): When misinterpreted, the Christian doctrine of free-will can lead to fatalism and a shirking of responsibility.

The official Bible is a piece of literature of parts which were selected by random people after Jesus' death and from which many parts were left out because these apostels were prejudiced to some writings.

You actually seem to have a more tolerant view toward the canon than many atheists I have encountered. Most believe that it was a simple set of political goals that inspired the formation of the Canon.

The true basis for the Canon lies in Christ's promise of the Holy Spirit, which was to lead the Church into truth in all things.

So the lottery might be that only about ten people end up in heaven. Gods ways are mysterious.

Aptly put. A sobering thought, is it not? Still, we know for sure that Enoch and Elijah are there...and there were twelve apostles.

-Akolouthos

Sherzod View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sherzod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:26

I CAN ONLY ADD THESE:

-I AM ALHAMDILLLAH MUSLIM

-CHRISTTIANITY HAS MANY FAULTS(CAUSE IT HAS BEEN CHANGED AND NOT THE ORIGINAL VERSION, AND ALSO IT IS OUTDATED)

-BUT,BEING AN ATHEIST AND NOT BELIEVING THE WHOLE IDEA OF EXISTANCE OF THE CREATOR - GOD IS MUCH, MUCH WORSE

-I JUST WONDER, HOW COME YOU CAN TAKE SUCH A RISKS, JUST ACCORDING TO YOUR LIMITED AND SMALL VIEWS COMPARED TO THE GOD'S, EVEN IF YOU ARE 10 TIMES ENSTEIN?

-REMEMBER, HELL IS FOREVER (MEANING NO END EVER AND EVER!!!)

-JUST IN CASE, COMPARE - AVERAGE LIFE EXPECTANCY SAY 70 YEARS, AFTERWARDS 50%HEAVEN FOREVER OR 50%HELL- NOT FOREVER(IF YOU JUST BELIEVE IN THE EXISTANCE OF GOD)

IF BEING IN YOUR CASE, DEATH IS THE END50%, OTHERWISE HELL 50% FOREVER (SORRY, NO HEAVEN FOR YOU GUYS)

TAKING A 50/50 RISK OF BURNING FOR ETERNITY, ISNT THAT JUST THE MOST STUPID THING THAT A HUMAN CAN DO?

EVEN, HOW MUCH GENIOUS YOUR ARGUMENTS COULD BE, YOU ARE IF LOGICALLY THINKING TAKING THE MOST STUPID RISK TO OF BURNING IN HELL FOR THE ETERNITY

THINK, CAREFULLY

"Power is in fairness...!" - Amir Temur (1336-1405)
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:41

Originally posted by Sherzod

-CHRISTTIANITY HAS MANY FAULTS(CAUSE IT HAS BEEN CHANGED AND NOT THE ORIGINAL VERSION, AND ALSO IT IS OUTDATED)

A mischaracterization. Not quite sure how to have the "Christianity is not final revelation/not pure in form --VS.-- Islam is a Christian compound heresy" debate without it degenerating into an inevitable flame war, however. So I will simply refer to the sentence immediately preceeding this one, which states the two points of view.

-Akolouthos

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:43
If somebody comes up to you and tells you "Believe in what I say, or you stand a 50% risk of burning in hell forever, no matter how illogical my arguments are." Would any sensible person do that? Of course not. This argument that you say is ridiculous. Every religion is illogical, as it presents not one shred of scientific evidence to support it. It is not stupid to "risk" "burning in hell", it is logical.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:56

Every religion is illogical, as it presents not one shred of evidence to support it.

I think you have a point, but am a bit worried by the semantics.

Firstly, there is evidence to support religious systems of belief (and not just my own). They are the Scriptures, miracles, traditions, and tales of religious groups all over the world. It is up for each individual to decide whether or not to accept this evidence. If you had inserted the word "scientific" in front of evidence, I would have no problem with it. Sorry about the nitpickyness, but I do feel these issues are very important.

I also don't feel that it is entirely accurate to say that religion is illogical. True some of the Christian belief contravenes logic, but to say that it is illogical--implying that it is devoid of, or does not observe the principles of logic--I feel, is too strong. After all, much of the Trinitarian and Christological debates, as well as issues of Church governance, sacramental theology, etc. is steeped in logic. I think where we disagree is the degree to which logic can be helpful to us. Thus, I feel illogical is too strong a term.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:59
Sorry, I will add scientific evidence.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:08

Sorry, I will add scientific evidence.

I agree with you.

-Akolouthos

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:17

If somebody comes up to you and tells you "Believe in what I say, or you stand a 50% risk of burning in hell forever, no matter how illogical my arguments are." Would any sensible person do that? Of course not. This argument that you say is ridiculous. Every religion is illogical, as it presents not one shred of scientific evidence to support it. It is not stupid to "risk" "burning in hell", it is logical.

Religion is a political structure created to control the lives and minds of the gullible. Religion for religions sake  has nothing to do with Belief in a greater power, rather your belief turns to the system itself.

One can believe in a greater power without including heaven or hell in ones belief system. Believing a power great and vast enough to create the universe would be concerned with the destiny of beings as inconsequential as ourselves is illogical.

Why worry about hell, being fettered and tied to an irrational and inflexible artificial structure during ones life would be punishment enough. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sherzod View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sherzod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:26

Why worry about hell, being fettered and tied to an irrational and inflexible artificial structure during ones life would be punishment enough. 

who knows? maybe you'll find out why to worry about hell, when you will be taken there?

but, unfortunately your findings would be too little, too late by then!

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:36

Hell is not in my system of beliefs, you apparently need fear as a controlling element in your life, I do not.

Religous conflicts have caused the deaths and suffering of millions, I cannot think of a more insane and destructive force.

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:46
Fellas fellas please, nobody is right and nobody is wrong. What we as indivduals concieve to be real, is real for each and everyone of us. Sherzod believes there is a hell, red clay believes there is no hell. You can both be right. It is just simple faith that guides us in the end. Faith in God, or faith that only you can decide for yourself if there is or is not a higher being.
Sherzod View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sherzod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:52
even if you are right and I am wrong(which is not true), I still after death have more chance of being better off than you do! that's as simple as this!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:53

Friend ponce- 

there is no fuss, just an exchange of opinions.   Nothing that a good tomato sandwich can't handle

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>