Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Berbers from North Africa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berbers from North Africa
    Posted: 03-May-2006 at 15:42

Hey everyone im readiing a book on Morocco and it says the Majority of the population are Berbers not Arabs or Africans.  From as much as ive read they have bin in North Africa since the dawn of History so im thinking at least 4 to 5 thousand years.  Anyway what i havent read in the book is Where the Berbers original came from (all it said that they are mostlikly from Europe or western Asia).  So if you guys can answer my question Where did the Berbers originate from?  And what race are they?  Are they possibly Ayrans from Europe or one of the old Spanish Tribes or possibly Bask in origin?

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 15:58
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

Are they possibly Ayrans from Europe or one of the old Spanish Tribes or possibly Bask in origin?

For the umpteenth time, "Aryans" do not come from Europe, have never been there, or will ever get there.

The term "aryan" applies to an Indo-Iranian linguistic family (languages spoken in Iran, India and surroundings), and nothing else.

As for the Berbers, apparently as Wikipedia explains they just were there, having come as you so rightly put it, in the "dawn of time".

While population genetics is a young science still full of controversy, in general the genetic evidence appears to indicate that most northwest Africans (whether they consider themselves Berber or Arab) are predominantly of Berber origin, and that populations ancestral to the Berbers have been in the area since the Upper Paleolithic era. The genetically predominant ancestors of the Berbers appear to have come from East Africa, the Middle East, or both - but the details of this remain unclear. However, significant proportions of both the Berber and Arabized Berber gene pools derive from more recent migration of various Italic, Semitic, Germanic (Vandals, I presume), and sub-Saharan African peoples, all of whom have left their genetic footprints in the region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:13
Hi,

The fact that Berbers are the majority not only in Marocco but in the all
Maghrib is no surprise as the area as often been conquered but only by
very small groups of soldiers and never by huge ethnical invasion waves.
The main invaders are: the Phenicians, the Romans, the Vandals, the
Arabs, the "Senegalese" (Almohads but most of them were in fact berbers
all right), Spanish, Turks, and finally French. This constantly invaded
situation leads to a stronger proportion of "original" roots in the
mytocondries than is their male counter parts (just like in Europe).

To get a good idea of what the berbers might have been a long time ago
(if you follow as I do the Ibn Khaldun civilisation scheme) you should
focuse not on those who are known nowadays as the Kabils but on the
nomadic Touaregh tribes in the Sahara desert.

Where do they come from is of course uncertain but one interesting
theory for their strong genetical originality is that during the last ice age
they were locked in some "hot pocket" more or less separated from the
rest of the world by whatever geographic obstacle for a fairly long period
of time.

Bye Hafifi.
I am a free donkey!
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 13:42

thanks for the Info guys.

Post Reply Post Reply