Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Caliph Harun Al Rashid and Constantinople

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caliph Harun Al Rashid and Constantinople
    Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 15:19

from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harun_al-Rashid

(Hārūn ar-Rashīd "Aaron the Rightly Guided") (Arabic also spelled Harun ar-Rashid, Haroun al-Rashid or Haroon al Rasheed; English: Aaron the Upright; ca. 763 March 24, 809) was the fifth and most famous Abbasid Caliph. Ruling from 786 until 809, his reign and the fabulous court over which he held sway are immortalized in The Book of One Thousand and One Nights.

In military matters, Hrn was an excellent soldier and showed this ability at a young age when his father was still caliph. He later commanded an army of 95,000 Arabs and Persians sent by his father to invade the Eastern Roman Empire, which was then ruled by the Empress Irene. After defeating Irene's famous general, Nicetas, Harun marched his army to Chrysopolis (now skdar in Turkey) on the Asiatic coast, opposite Constantinople. He encamped on the heights in full view of the Roman capital.

The Empress saw that the city would certainly be taken by the Muslims. She therefore sent ambassadors to Harun to arrange terms; but he sternly refused to agree to anything except immediate surrender. It is reported that then one of the ambassadors said,

The Empress has heard much of your ability as a general. Though you are her enemy, she admires you as a soldier.

These flattering words were pleasing to Hrn. He walked to and fro in front of his tent and then spoke again to the ambassadors.

Tell the Empress that I will spare Constantinople if she will pay me seventy thousand pieces of gold as a yearly tribute. If the tribute is regularly paid Constantinople shall not be harmed by any Muslim force.

The Empress agreed to these terms. She paid the first year's tribute; and soon the great Muslim army set out on its homeward march. The tribute of gold that the Empress Irene agreed to pay Hrn was sent regularly for many years. ..........

In 802 Nicephorus usurped the throne of the Eastern Empire. He sent ambassadors with a letter to Harun to tell him that the tribute would no longer be paid. The letter contained these words:

The weak and faint-hearted Irene submitted to pay you tribute. She ought to have made you pay tribute to her. Return to me all that she paid you; else the matter must be settled by the sword."

As soon as Hrn had read these words, the ambassadors threw a bundle of swords at his feet. The caliph smiled, and drawing his own sword, or scimitar, he cut the Roman swords in two with one stroke without injuring the blade or even turning the edge of his weapon. Then he dictated a letter to Nicephorus, in which he said:

"Hrn ar-Rashd, Commander of the Faithful to Nicephorus, the Roman dog: I have read thy letter. Thou shalt not hear, thou shalt see my reply."

Hrn was as good as his word. He started that day with a large army to punish the emperor. As soon as he reached Roman territory he ravaged the country and took possession of everything valuable that he found. He laid siege to Heraclea, a city on the shores of the Black Sea, and in a week forced it to surrender. Then he sacked the place. Nicephorus was now forced to agree to pay the tribute.

However, scarcely had the caliph reached his palace in Baghdad when the emperor again refused to pay. Hrn, consequently, advanced into the Roman province of Phrygia in Asia Minor with an army of 15,000 men. Nicephorus marched against him with 125,000 men. In the battle which followed, the emperor was wounded, and 40,000 of his men were killed. After this defeat, Nicephorus again promised payment of the tribute, but again failed to keep his promise.

Hrn now vowed that he would kill the emperor if he should ever lay hands upon him. But as he was getting ready to march once more into the Roman provinces, a revolt broke out in one of the cities of his own kingdom; and while on his way to suppress it he died of an illness which had long given him trouble. He is said to be buried in Tus.

The map of Abbasids Caliphate Under Caliph Harun Al Rashid ( Aaron the up right)

below is a Persian painting of Caliph Harun Al Rashid.

below Julius Köckert's painting of Harun al-Rashid receiving the delegation of Charlemagne demonstrates the latter's recognition of Hārūn ar-Rashīd as the most powerful man of his culture

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 17:16

wonderful!

thanks for the info.

did the next caliph invade roman territory to get the revenge?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 17:25
Azimuth didnt a caliph died during the siege of Constantinople? If yes, whasnt that guy named "Eyyub" or something?

I know during besiege of Constantinople by Fatih Sultan Mehmed, his teacher "Akshemseddin" saw a dream about that guy above there, and by his dream they found the place he died, on the place he died Fatih Sultan Mehmed did let made a "turbe" (grave) for him.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 19:36

Iranian41ife

Harun had an Arab wife and a Persian wife, his son from the Arab wife was the older one and his name was Al Ameen, and the son from the Persian wife was a bit younger and his name was Al Mamoon.

iam not sure but i think Harun did arrange that the brothers succeed eachother.

Al Ameen became Caliph and immidetly sent Al Mamoon far away to govern a persian provence, and there were rumors that Al Ameen will make his son a crown prince and will not give the Caliphate to Al Mamoon.

AlMamoon with the support of his uncles the persians came back to Baghdad and took controle of the Palace and killed his brother and Became a new Caliph.

from the above there were some internal problems they had to deal with and dont think at the early years after Harun's death there has been much conflicts with the romans.

maybe Al Mamoon did something iam not sure will have to check for this.

but Al Mamoon's Era was one of the Greatest periods Scientific wise that the translations and other scientific studies were funded by the Caliph.

---------------------

DayI

no Harun came close to Constantinople only once and was able to take it and that was when his father was a Caliph and he was just a general, from the story above you can see that the Empress agreed on paying sum of gold and signed a peace treaty to prevent Harun from taking the city.

the last time when he decided to take constantinople he died when preparing the Army.

Harun died in today's Iran and his tomb is there, he was born in Iran too i think.

the one who was buried in today's Turkey was from the first or the earliest Islamic leaders who went to conquer Constantinople,

i think he was one of the Prophet's companions or Companion's Companion and was sent in the early years of the Al Rashidin's time or early years of Umayyads.

so its from years 600s AD or early 700s AD. Harun's time was in 800s AD.

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 13:05

Azimuth, al-Ma'mun was a bit elder than al-Ameen but al-Ameen succeeded his father first,al-Ameen  was a foolish young manunlike al-Ma'mun the wise,al-Ameen had the treasury,troops and all province except Khurasan and al-Ma'mun had nothing except brilliant leaders like Harthma bin A'yan,Tahir bin Husein(founder of Tahirid dynasty) and his vizer al-Fadhal bin Sahal.

al-Ameen ordered to his troops under Ali bin Isaa bin Mahan to march toward Khurasan, a huge army (40000 men) defeated by Tahir near Nisaphur with less than 5000 men,the people in Baghdad didn't beleive the news but they beleive it after they saw tha army under Harthma and Tahir besieged the city.

al-Ma'mun led many campaigns against Byzantine he died in Tarsus during his campaign.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 13:47
Originally posted by azimuth

the one who was buried in today's Turkey was from the first or the earliest Islamic leaders who went to conquer Constantinople,

i think he was one of the Prophet's companions or Companion's Companion and was sent in the early years of the Al Rashidin's time or early years of Umayyads.

so its from years 600s AD or early 700s AD. Harun's time was in 800s AD.

The name you're looking for is Abu Ayoub al-Ansari, the Prophet's (peace be upon Him) companion and host in Medina.

He's known in Turkey as Eyup Sultan.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 13:53
Too bad the Persians did not conquer Constantinople. Its corruption, filth, and vileness had to keep living on. IF they conquered Constantinople it would have been for the better
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 14:17
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Too bad the Persians did not conquer Constantinople. Its corruption, filth, and vileness had to keep living on. IF they conquered Constantinople it would have been for the better

Are you bashing the Turks, indirectly?

Had the Persians conquered Constantinople, the city would have had a different character, of course.  The art and architecture would have been different, but nonetheless beautiful.  But you never know - the city might have become like any city in Iran today, and what you all hate about Iran ("so-called" Islamic culture) might have been prevalant.

Persian culture has its own, incomparable beauty.

I think the Turkish conquering of Constantinople was the best thing that ever happened to that city.  Today, Istanbul is beautiful and enchanting.
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 16:32

Hello everybody

I think the  achievement of Harun Al Rashid is not this that was described

by azimuth. Harun Al Rashid was the protector of art and culture.

Baghdad was the place that all the scientists ,intellectuals and philosophers  were protected by the Caliph.

Especialy his son Al-Ma'mun's  translate from ancient hellenic to arab

Aristotelis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotelis) Platon Plotin Theophrastos and others philosophers and with this way

he saved all these masters. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Mamoun)

Later in 11 and 12 century Averroes (Ibn Rushd) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Rushd) and his philosophy

system  (Averroism) became known to the western Europe from the

Spanish schools (Toledo).Pope was teriffied because in this way  was imported

the forbidden mean of logic as instrument to find the truth  .

I think this contribution to the humanity of Harun Al Rashid ,Al-Ma'mun's  and the other Caliphs is the most important than other achievements of them.

I upload a map of 1000 AC or 390,1 with  the Muslim date.

My regards to everybody I m waiting for replies  

chemas-microsoft-com:vml" />hapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" opt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> troke joinstyle="miter">troke>ath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f">ath>chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />hapetype>hape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 414.75pt; HEIGHT: 221.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75">hapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" opt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> troke joinstyle="miter">troke>ath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f">ath>hapetype>hape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 414.75pt; HEIGHT: 221.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75">hape>hape>

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 17:15

Originally posted by Mira

Had the Persians conquered Constantinople, the city would have had a different character, of course.  The art and architecture would have been different, but nonetheless beautiful.  But you never know - the city might have become like any city in Iran today, and what you all hate about Iran ("so-called" Islamic culture) might have been prevalant.

I think the Turkish conquering of Constantinople was the best thing that ever happened to that city.  Today, Istanbul is beautiful and enchanting.

It was beautiful and encanting even before Turks conquered it, so if this is the best thing ...

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 17:17
Originally posted by Antioxos

Pope was teriffied because in this way  was imported

the forbidden mean of logic as instrument to find the truth  .

Which pope, just curious to know ...

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 18:30

Is this a way of provoking the few descendants of the eastern Romans left on this world?

@Azimuth
If Harrun was so able as the Arab historians describe him then he would have captured the city.The fact that the Byzantiens paid for some years tribute to him doesn't  tell me anything about his ability to capture the city.As for Eyup he died together with other Arabs in the 7th century during the first siege of the city by the Arabs(614-618 i think).

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:14

to Ahmed and Mira

thanx for your contributions. although Ahmed i think these ideas about Al Ameen were made up later to show that he was the bad guy and Al Mamoon was the good one.

the Abbasids did the same wiith the Umayyads history.

-

to Antioxox,

Thanx for the addition about Harun's achievements, i was not saying the close capture of Constantinople is his great achievements. actully it is one of the events that is not known to many people so i wanted to point out these events in  particular that i noticed there are many people overrate Constantinople and its capturing by the Turks in another subject.

Harun and his son's period were the Golden Age of the Abbasids Caliphate in mostly everything and specially science.

----

Romios

well he was a teenage General sent by his father to conquer anatolia and didnt try to go ahead to take the city that the Empress acted wisly before that happens.,as per the story above

"The Empress saw that the city would certainly be taken by the Muslims. She therefore sent ambassadors to Harun to arrange terms; but he sternly refused to agree to anything except immediate surrender. It is reported that then one of the ambassadors said,

The Empress has heard much of your ability as a general. Though you are her enemy, she admires you as a soldier.

These flattering words were pleasing to Hrn. He walked to and fro in front of his tent and then spoke again to the ambassadors.

Tell the Empress that I will spare Constantinople if she will pay me seventy thousand pieces of gold as a yearly tribute. If the tribute is regularly paid Constantinople shall not be harmed by any Muslim force. "

also when got fed up with the new Emerors lies , Harun decided to go and capture the city without any negotiations or treaties. lucky for constantinople he died while preparing the army.

and as i mentioned above there were in-stability in the Caliphate after harun's death. so the army he prepared was not used for the purpose he wanted.

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:02
Originally posted by azimuth

to Ahmed and Mira

thanx for your contributions. although Ahmed i think these ideas about Al Ameen were made up later to show that he was the bad guy and Al Mamoon was the good one.

Azimuth,I didn't make al-Ameen the Bad guy,but I meant the disable,weak and incapable guy that is the reason why he was defeated by his brother depite his superior in all directions.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 10:58

Too bad the Persians did not conquer
Constantinople. Its corruption, filth, and vileness had to keep living
on. IF they conquered Constantinople it would have been for the
better

Had the Persians conquered Constantinople, the city would have had a
different character, of course. The art and architecture would
have been different, but nonetheless beautiful. But you never
know - the city might have become like any city in Iran today, and what
you all hate about Iran ("so-called" Islamic culture) might have been
prevalant.

I think the Turkish conquering of Constantinople was the best thing
that ever happened to that city. Today, Istanbul is beautiful and
enchanting.

I never thought about bashing the Turks indirectly, but thanks for pointing that out I never thought about it. (SOrry to ze Turks ) But I am talking about Constantinople itself and what it had become after the 2nd century. It has become so corrupted and it has torn itself from its old Roman values. It is just a shadow of its former glory, a infestation that has to be wiped out from the world. ALthough it was finally conquered in the 15th century it was already a place of death and decay to its fullest. But destroying it earlier when it boasted a high population would have eradicated all the filth and evil that protruded from its walls. Only because of its luck, its protection geographically, and a few "good kings" did it manage to breath one more breath of air. The Persians and/or the Arabs should have destroyed them. It is a pity that they have failed
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 11:47

I never thought about bashing the Turks indirectly, but thanks for pointing that out I never thought about it. (SOrry to ze Turks ) But I am talking about Constantinople itself and what it had become after the 2nd century. It has become so corrupted and it has torn itself from its old Roman values. It is just a shadow of its former glory, a infestation that has to be wiped out from the world. ALthough it was finally conquered in the 15th century it was already a place of death and decay to its fullest. But destroying it earlier when it boasted a high population would have eradicated all the filth and evil that protruded from its walls. Only because of its luck, its protection geographically, and a few "good kings" did it manage to breath one more breath of air. The Persians and/or the Arabs should have destroyed them. It is a pity that they have failed

What you have written is only BS 

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 15:43
I know that many people may not agree with me but that is what I truly think. i have read books on Constantinople and what they have done to go so far from their old values. Nobody wanted to be controlled by that city, the city itself was the reason why there was a land mass called Byzantium. The city was full of corruption and evil at the highest order. It should have been wiped off the map
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 03:59

what persians has to do with this thread?

Harun alrashid was an Arab not persian.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 06:24
Sorry but I simply don't believe that Harun al-Rashid was able to conquer Constantinople. To do that you needed to have control of the seas, the efficient Byzantine navy with their weapons of Greek fire prevented the Arabs from ever taking the city. All Harun al-Rashid could do was ravage Byzantine Anatolia. Without dominance at sea he was not in a position to take Constantinople.

When the Byzantines approached him, they lathered him with compliments when they wanted him to withdraw. This was standard Byzantine diplomacy, get your enemy off-guard so as to ensure the best negotiations you can with him. It was not a sign the Byzantines thought they were going to be annihilated.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 07:14

we dont know what wouldve happened if he did march toward Constantinople aiming to conquer it without negotiations.

its always the Byzantinian Emperor/ess diplomacy (and lies) that stopped Harun in a good time not to continue toward constantinople.

but paying that amount of Gold in yearly bases to is more than diplomacy. i think they did thought of the possibility of conquering constantinople would happen if Harun marched toward it.

note he reached that close when he was a 17 years old general sent by his father.

when harun became a Caliph he didnt go that far, each time he marches toward Constantinope the Emperor announces that he will resume the peace treaty and will pay the agreed amount.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>