Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Iranian community in the Arab states

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Iranian community in the Arab states
    Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 08:53
How large is it, where, and for how long?

Why i want to know?
I just saw a very large (and seemingly very wealthy) persian wedding DVD from the UAE. The brides father had the arab gear on, but is persian, his family has been there for more than one generation was the explanation i got.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 08:58
They're probably naturalized citizens of the UAE, who are either from Persian origins or descendants of mixed marriages.  We have a lot of both.  I'm an 'example' of the second category.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 19:17

the are lots of arabs of iranian/persian origion in arab countries:

bahrain (second largest ethnic group after arabs)

kuwait

UAE (the combined ajami [arabs of iranian/persian descent, and iranian immigrants is more than the emirati population itself)

iraq (many iraqi are actually of iranian/persian descent and up to the as late as the 70's persian was stilll spoken in many parts of baghdad)

yemen (the community here is small, but there are arabs of iranian/persian origion that still live in yemen, and are known as Farsi's IIRC)

Oman

its not surprising that there are so many arabs of iranian/persian descent in these countries when you think about it, look at these maps:

Achaemenid Persia

Parthian Persia

sassanid persia

(also included yemen, egypt, all of the middle east, and parts of anatolia at one point)

as you can see, iran has had a prescence in the region for many many years.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 23:32
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

UAE (the combined ajami [arabs of iranian/persian descent, and iranian immigrants is more than the emirati population itself)

Hmmm ..

This is partially true. 

'Ajam, or 'Ajamis does not only refer to the Arabs of Iranian descent, but also to immigrants of Arab origines, who came in from Iran.  So even if a tribe was originally Arab, but settled in Persia for some time and intermarried with the local community and then returned to Arabia - they're referred to as 'Ajam.  It's not derogatary or discriminatory, as many like to believe.  I can assure you that, being an 'Ajami myself.

It is not true, however, that the 'immigrant' population (and I'm not really sure what immigrant is, since we all are basically) is predominant.  You're talking about 7 emirates.  It is more accurate to say that the concentration of people who are of Persian origin, or have mixed blood is higher in one emirate than the others.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 23:49

o, i didnt know that ajamis also include iranian arabs, thanks for the info.

i thought that the ajami population plus the iranian immigrant population (those fleeing the iranian regime, those coming to dubai for work, etc... just like the iranians in USA or Europe) outnumber the emirati population...

is that true?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 00:27
The Emirati population includes the naturalized citizens of Persian origins and "Iranian Arabs," as you call them.  Yes, Emiratis make up 20% of the entire population.
Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 00:34

United Arab Emirates

Ethnic Groups     
Pie chart of ethnic groups in Turkey

Religions     
Pie chart of religions practiced in Turkey

Ethnic Groups     
Pie chart of ethnic groups in United Arab Emirates

Religions     
Pie chart of religions practiced in United Arab Emirates

Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 00:39
Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 00:43
More Maps
United Arab Emirates
flag of The United Arab Emirates
On Dec. 2, 1971, six small Arab states formed the United Arab Emirates, and a seventh state joined on Feb. 11, 1972. The flag took its colors from the Arab Revolt flag of 1917. The colors are included in a 13th-century poem which speaks of green Arab lands defended in black battles by blood-red swords of Arabs whose deeds are pure white.
United Arab Emirates

Location of The United Arab EmiratesEthnic Composition

Official name: Al-Imarat al-'Arabiyah al-Muttahidah (United Arab Emirates).

Form of government: federation of seven emirates with one appointive advisory body (Federal National Council [40]).

Chief of state: President.

Head of government: Prime Minister.

Population (1998): 2,744,000.

Population projection: (2000) 2,844,000; (2010) 3,399,000.

Natural increase rate per 1,000 population (1994): 21.6 (world avg. 15.7).

Gross national product (1996): U.S.$44,370,000,000 (U.S.$17,400 per capita).

Land use (1994): forested, virtually none; meadows and pastures 2.4%; agricultural and under permanent cultivation 0.5%; built-on, wasteland, and other 97.1%.

www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/nytmaps.pl?un...

Edited by Perspolis
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 02:44
Originally posted by Perspolis

United Arab Emirates

Ethnic Groups     
Pie chart of ethnic groups in Turkey

Religions     
Pie chart of religions practiced in Turkey

Ethnic Groups     
Pie chart of ethnic groups in United Arab Emirates

Religions     
Pie chart of religions practiced in United Arab Emirates

These figures don't look accurate at all to me.

First - I'm sure we have Turkish and Kurdish residents, but their respective ethnicities have nothing to do with the UAE:  United Arab Emirates.  (I think I must also clarify that "Arab" is not an ethnic grouping that is passed down through blood; it's a linguistic one.  The "Father of Arabs," Ishmael son of Abraham (peace be upon Them) was not an Arab, but he married into the Arab tribe of Jurhum, and spoke Arabic.  Therefore, Arab is a linguistic designation, not an ethnic one.)  In any case, UAE nationals are not "ethnically" Turks or Kurds.

Second figure claims that 99.8% are Muslims.  While I would have loved for that to be true; it is not.  Islam is the state religion and all citizens must be Muslim.  However, nationals don't make up the majority, nor do those of Arab or Muslim backgrounds.

We have a huge Asian/South Asian community here, and most of them come from India, Phillipines, China, Pakistan and Bangladesh.  Not all Indians are Muslims.  We have Hindus, Sikhs and Christian Indians.  The Muslims from India are usually Keralites (from Kerala,) and they aren't many.  Filipinos and Chinese are not Muslims.  The Asian community is the largest expatriate group in the UAE.

Then we have the rapidly growing North American + European community.  They, of course, are mostly non-Muslims, too.

Non-UAE Arabs, Iranians, Turks ... etc. are mostly Muslims (although we have Christians from Lebanon, Palestine, Egypt and elsewhere) and they do not make up the majority.  Whether they're Sunni or Shia is irrelevant.  They are all Muslims.

Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 02:53
right map are for emirate and left maps are for turkey. sorry for mistakes.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 08:36
thankyou Mira and Iranian41ife. 
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 08:39
Always welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply