Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Dravidian Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dravidian Problem
    Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 01:34
Aishwarya Rai is from South India: Karnataka. She does not look like a dravidian though.  Indian actors are indeed a heterogeneous mix. Yes, Rao, a dravidian can be identified by physical features alone, because their features are unique. Just like people from China and eastern asia are classified as mongoloids because of their obvious differences.
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 13:42
well i heard her mom side is some where from north india or atleast has north indian links in her family, i think shimla or somewhere and her family migrated to south india.
ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 06:52
Originally posted by Kashmiri

most of those actors have links with north india. thats why they dont look south indians.

I am sorry to say Kashmiri, but your answer is nothing but hilarious. I dont know that looks could change by having connections with a place. Moreover, I also think you have given a though on who these actors were. let me explain to you a bit...

Aishwarya Rai, - Belongs to a race called Coorg. They are in the heart of Karnataka. Born and brough up in Bangalore. As per your definitions, looks Aryan.

Hemamalini, - A South Indian Hebbar Iyengar born and brought up in Chennai. As per your definitions, looks Aryan.

Shipa Shetty, - Belongs to Karnataka based Shetty Clan (also found widely in Maharshtra). As per your definitions, Aryan

Ashish Vidyarthi,  - Belongs to Uttar Pradesh and brought up in Delhi. As per your definitions, looks Dravidian.

Rani Mukherji,  - A complete bengali. As per your definitions, Dravidian.

Manoj Bajpai, - Belongs to Bihar and studied in Delhi. As per yoru definitions, Dravidian.

Usha Uthup, -  A Tamil Iyer settled in Calcutta. As per your definitions, Aryan.

Johny Lever,  - Speaks Fluent Punjabi and marathi, but born and brought up In Andhra Pradesh as John Rao. As per your definitions, a Dravidian.

Sunil Shetty,  - A thorough Kanndiga Shetty born and brought up in Mumbai. As per your definitions, Aryan.

Ravi Shastri (Cricketer). - A Kannadiga brahmin born and brought up in Mumbai. As per your definitions, Aryan.
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote AP Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 08:02

One of my Brahmin friend  told me that the most of the Brahmins in Bengal are from Kannauj and must have gone in Bengal with the forces of Gurjar Pratihars . Many of these Brahmins were established as rulers of Bengal after the Palas were defeated and during Muslim period. During Muslim rule, when defeated these brahmins were also converted to Islam. Later they re-converted to Hindu religion again, did not take their original gotras of the Brahmins but started writing titles like Mukherjee, Chatterjee, Chattopadhyaya, Mukhya Upadyaya etc.

In that scenario the Chakravorty Brahmins were invited from South India to perform the priestly services. This was reason cited by my friend to have common surname of Chakravorty/Ckakraborty in south India and  in Bengal. 
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 11:57
look all i am saying is that these actors looks more north indian then south indian, i guess largerly because of their skin colour. i dont know the exact reason behind why they have fair skin and why some south indians have fair skin
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 12:22
None of those actors or actresses even look North Indian onscreen. Perhaps NorthWest Indian in some cases, but even then it's pushing it.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 09-Apr-2007 at 12:23
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 12:56

what do you mean by north west indian? and yeah true their features are actually not north indian, like hema malini or shilpa and ash their features are pretty south indian. and oh yeah if you look at old movies of some of these actresses in their regional languages their preety dark skinned, i guess they used some kind of method to become fairer to get roles in bollywood.

K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 21:32

The Dravidian Problem

Kashmiri 07-070-2007: anyways back to the topic, i disagree with some people saying that there is no difference between the races in north and south india today. Like places of my homeland of kashmir or even further south lets say punjab, today we are a mixture of so many races because of so many invasions of north india that occured in the last 1000 years or so. South india was the least effected by the invasions.

The point is now, the racial interpretation of history is not acceptable, as race has been considered myth.

When you admit that we are a mixture of so many races, it amounts to miscegenation and then there is no question of claiming any purity.

When you say that south India is least effected by the invasion, are you not disagreeing with AIT?

One cannot go on take different stands.

History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 16:42
what do you mean when u say race is a myth? surely there are differences in so many people around the world, let alone india.
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 19:55

Race as perceived, conceived and propagated as

N     exclusive royalty or nobility for a religion,

N     exclusivist ideology for a language,

N     parochial claim for superiority, and

N     above all We are the only pure, chosen people on the earth etc., is a myth.

There are sites on it: http://sitesled.com/members/racialreality/indo_europeans.html,  with connected other sites (just for example). The race scholars posed as anthropologists have brought out hypotheses not with any definite finality. They always write, -

It is believed.

According to the theory.

The spreaders of are traditionally considered.

thus, safely concluded..

The most widely accepted theory places

So in such type of pre-conceived or pre-determined research, where is finality? Why every 5 or ten years, they change their stand?
History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:10

there are clear three types of races in the world, Africans, Causcasians and Mongolied. There skull structure is the main thing that differs.

Edited by mughal - 15-Apr-2007 at 13:12
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 08:35
I have already pointed out in my paper about everything.

However, in the literature of "Dravidians", they did not consider them so.

It is only the westerners and others call them "Dravidians".

Edited by K. V. Ramakrishna Rao - 17-Apr-2007 at 08:36
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 17:07
True but the reason westerners call them dravidian is basis on that the southern indian lanuagages are different then north india.
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:16
For sample, I have posted the comparative study of Tolkappiyam and Manusmriti to show that though languages are different, the subject matter dealt with by the so-called "Aryans" and "Dravidians" is the one and the same.

Therefore, such created myth has no historical basis.
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 13:31
Indians spend billions in bleach creams to lighten their skins. Indian actors are not really FAIR, they have tons of lights, cameras and bleaching products and lightening makeup to cover up their dark shades. India is infamous for the bleaching industry, with billions of consumers. http://www.iht.com/articles/1998/04/24/light.t.php
Consider actress Shilpa Shetty, she is known to have a nose job (in the late 80s early 90s) and she still does NOT look northern. Aishwarya's family looks SriLankan, you have no idea what extreme measures they take to look like what they look today. They still do not match true features of northerners.

-- Albert Einstein
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 13:45
AISHWARYA RAI  10 buckets of Make-up
RANKI MUKHERJEE

SHILPA SHETTY

-- Albert Einstein
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 15:05
I think you need to get over the whole issue of defining race in India.

Skin color is but one factor in determining race. Skin pigmentation in an individual is more affected by the natural surroundings than by genetics. Though it's true that an acquired pigmentation can not be passed down genetically, chances are that the offspring will be raised in the same type of environment, and therefore will appear similar in color to to the parents.

In the summer time, i can become a whole two shades darker than in the winter. (http://www.joiedevie.com/joiedevie/about%20Joy_files/StickShades1.jpg) (i go from a "rich bronze" to a "dark coffee" and even an "ebony brown" in the face and lower arms)

Skin bleaching can change the appearance of a person, but not to the extent you may think. Several years of bleaching would lighten a person's skin to the same extent a good tan would darken someone.

I also find this accusation of skin bleaching odd, because every time someone brings it up, they accuse the Indian population of someone trying to imitate or look like someone else. It is after just skin. Are the millions of American women who go to tanning salons to bronze themselves trying to imitate Indians?

I mean, if you want to accuse Indians of trying to be something they are not, why pick on skin color? Why not say Indian people are trying to whiten themselves with a short buzz cut? Or by wearing jeans? Or by putting blond highlights in their hair? Or by dressing up in a tuxedo?

Why this obsession with skin?

Skin alone does not determine anything. To try to determine the race of a person solely based on skin color will accomplish nothing.

Neither will posting up pictures of celebrities who have changed their appearance. They could afford it. They think it looks good. To accuse an entire population of being racially self-hating based on what a few rich celebrities do with their nose, eyes, or otherwise is criminal.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but north indians and south indians are racially similar. In fact, to call someone a north or south indian based on anything other than geographical location is plain stupid. Their is no "north indian" look that is different from any "south indian" look. If you want to talk ethnicity, go ahead. If you want to compare a guy from Rajasthan to a guy from Gujurat, go ahead. But you can't just divide India into "north" and "south" like that. It's too homogeneous.

By the way, i hope you don't think that last picture of shilpa shetty is "light skinned" or anything like that. Besides being a horrible picture (sleepy w/ one eye shut?), almost every Indian auntie i know looks as dark as her. Her skin color is not out of the norm for an Indian, especially given our diverse genetic makeup and diverse lifestyles.

Edited by AlokaParyetra - 19-Apr-2007 at 15:14
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 17:20

actually there are differences in facial structure of south indian and north indians in general not just skin colour.

Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 07:51
I think Mughal is unnecessarily diverting the issue.

He is not appreaciating the Tamil evidences pointed out.

He goes on harping upon racial features and morphological traits.

Posting cine-actresses has marred the "Dravidian Problem," posting.

I would have been more happy, had he posted some historical evidences.

I request that the discussion should be serious and academic.

I have posted a photograph of a Sangam period ring, where a Tamil couple have been depicted.

Let anyone tell, how they are looking - as Aryan or Dravidian?

Edited by K. V. Ramakrishna Rao - 20-Apr-2007 at 09:01
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 07:53

I do not know why the photo is not appearing?

Edited by K. V. Ramakrishna Rao - 20-Apr-2007 at 07:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>