Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pirooz The Last Sassanid Shahanshah in China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vespasian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vespasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pirooz The Last Sassanid Shahanshah in China
    Posted: 26-May-2006 at 21:06
Ok, so if I may make an in-topic post...

This seems to be very interesting. Here's a question, though...could have Pirooz have retaken his empire? Even with Chinese help, it seemed like a up-hill battle.

Edited by vespasian - 26-May-2006 at 21:06
Is someone going to tell Triple H that someone beat him to the title "King of Kings"?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 04:57
what do you "could", he already tired to do so and Failed.
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:48

Azimuth i heard the story that Yazdgard III being killed by Persians was made up by the Arabs.  I think he was definetly beheaded by the Arabs not killed for being mistaken as a theif.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 02:09
why made up by Arabs? whats the point?

if Arabs are the ones who killed him they would've said so proudly,

also his killing story mentioned in many old historical books written by Arabs and the ones written by Persians.

i wonder whats the sources you have that makes you Definite?

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 21:53
great story, is there any more information about them exp Wiki article ?
Anfører
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 12:13
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

Azimuth i heard the story that Yazdgard III being killed by Persians was made up by the Arabs.  I think he was definetly beheaded by the Arabs not killed for being mistaken as a theif.

Every source I've ever read has said that Yazdegerd fled from city to city and was killed in Merv. Most sources agree that he was killed by someone who was trying to pick his pocket, not the other way around. Anyway, who can be sure?

Azimuth is right though, if arabs had killed him, they would have proudly proclaimed it.

Just slightly off topic, the story of Pirooz's sister and Ali is a nice one too, not sure if it's historically accurate.

Originally posted by Wikipedia

When returning to Madinah from their famous victorious battle against Persia, Omar's army brought with them many prisoners. Many of them were women. Among the prisoners captured at Ctesiphon were members of the Persian royal family, including the princess and her sister. People flocked in masses to see the captured daughter of the fallen mighty King of Persia.
Omar the caliph soon arrived and demanded the daughter of the King of Persia to be shown to him. The soldiers brought her to Omar. Omar then approached her and reached out to lift her veil to see the woman. The princess pulled herself back and cried out in Farsi: "The face of Hormoz darkens from indignity!" ("Vay! Rooye Hormoz siyaah shod!")
Omar, thinking that the princess had offended him, angrily shouted: "This woman insults me!" and pulled his sword out to behead her. Ali intervened and said: "You do not know her language. She called on her ancestor and did not insult you."
Omar then declared that he who paid the most will have her as a slave. But Ali again interrupted and said: "You do not have that right!" The crowd fell silent under Ali's aura. Ali then asked the princess: "Do you wish me to find you a husband?" The princess did not reply. Trying to prevent the auction from taking place, Ali said: "Her silence is a sign of approval." Facing Omar, Ali continued: "Why don't we let HER choose a person from amongst this crowd as a husband, and we will pay for her dowry from the public treasury?" Omar agreed.
Scanning through the crowd around her, the princess suddenly stopped and froze as her eyes fell on a man amongst the crowd. "I have seen this man in a dream before" she reportedly said. Tracing her look, the entire crowd turned around and looked at Hossein, son of Ali. Ali went up to Hossein and said: "Oh Hossein! From this girl, the most noble of humans shall be born."
Ali, then came up to the princess and asked: "What is your name?" The princess replied: "The daughter of Jahan-shah". Ali said: "and so Shahr-Banuyeh you will be called" ("the bride of the land").
To prevent the rest of the prisoners from being sold as slaves in the auction, Ali then declared: "These Iranians are respected and learned people... I, along with the Bani Hashem tribe have decided to set them free." Omar replied: "Ali today went forward and nullified my decision about the Iranians. So be it."

"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 13:07
did the chinese realy gett that far I never heard of a conquest of uzbekistan
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 02:03
yes if i am not wrong it was in han dynasty that they reach to that area. I am sure thay were there in tang dynasty era.
Anfører
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 03:44
Originally posted by sirius99

yes if i am not wrong it was in han dynasty that they reach to that area. I am sure thay were there in tang dynasty era.

The Tang China did reach Central Asia and set up Anxi Protectorate during its Prime time to govern the place.

Edited by Killabee - 01-Feb-2007 at 03:50
MING-LOYALIST View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MING-LOYALIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 00:16
Tang held sway over Samarkand and Tashkent briefly after putting an end to both east and western gok-turk khagnates and put garrisons all the way to the border of persia to protect trade routes.

here is a short article on Tang dynasty and the silk road.

Another thing unique about Tang dynasty was its openness, there were many foriegn traders in china at the time and chinese back then liked and copied anything from persia or central asia. Very different from the later Song, Ming and Qing dynasties when chinese were more isolationist and nativists.

Another thing was Tang imperial family had no problems with mixing with others, the emperors had dancing girls from tashkent as wives as well as daughters of turk khans, Tang also married many of its princesses to turk khans and tibetan kings and as well as central asian rulers.
Completely different from later chinese dynasties when the emperor only married chinese and marrying princesses to other peoples were seen as a humiliation.

Edited by MING-LOYALIST - 04-May-2007 at 00:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12