Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God or Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God or Allah?
    Posted: 16-May-2006 at 18:23
Originally posted by erkut

İn islam Allah has 99 names. And to many muslim do not use them. Sometimes they could call Allah in their own language whit differnt words. İt doesnt matter. The important thing is to beliwe ''The Creator''.

There are also several extra 'true' names for Christian and Judaic God. Of course seeing as God=Allah=Yahweh its a bit pointless.

Oh and the difference for  a "god of cricket" and "God" is a capital letter, or at least thats how its taught in English.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 19:10
I thought the Arabic Allah and Latin Jehovah were derived from the Hebrew Yahweh: the God called "I Am"
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2012 at 19:08
Was the Latin Deus derived from the Greek Zeus? The Christian God does share a few characteristics with his pagan counterpart: a bad temper, ability to impregnate young virgins, taste for burnt flesh, and willingness to destroy sinners with fire from heaven
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 08:24
Originally posted by Nick1986

I thought the Arabic Allah and Latin Jehovah were derived from the Hebrew Yahweh: the God called "I Am"

There is no connection between Yahweh and Allah in terms of etymology. Allah is simply the Arabic counterpart of God in English. Al (the) Ilah (god) which gets compressed and a stress added to convey majesty.

Timidi mater non flet
sharwina_7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 08:49
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

There is no connection between Yahweh and Allah in terms of etymology. Allah is simply the Arabic counterpart of God in English. Al (the) Ilah (god) which gets compressed and a stress added to convey majesty.

i guess this is correct
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 09:52
Latin "DeUS"=Devine mouth presents,Zeus had had different phonemes DzE...Dze mouth presents!ALaH=Victim-like wing arrows!(He)I believe it is combined God&God of Time presentation even if there are more than one possibility of voices:ALLaH=Victim-like spark wings arrow!(He decide about your death and arrow that follows it?!?)All Presentations of God we have shared long time ago from the very beginning of human kind.Especially Med Sea cultures people.
P.S.
Dze are footprints of Goddess on "stone sky" above and we knew it as Sun God!

Abudhar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Abudhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 10:37
Seek Knowledge from the Cradle to the Grave-Prophet Mohamed(P.B.U.H)
Abudhar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Abudhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 10:42
THANKS Brother GHARANAI for such high inspiring issue as Muslims we have the 99 names of the Exalted Allah according to the teachings of the holy Quran which stress:

"And to Allah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.Holy Quran (180), but still other God's Names & Attributes such as God in Latin , or KHUDA In Farsi are welcomed as long as they are intended to invoke the SOLE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!
Seek Knowledge from the Cradle to the Grave-Prophet Mohamed(P.B.U.H)
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 11:09
GOD is GOD. Call him what you will. Doesn't matter to him...only to those who wish to reinvent him later for other then honorable theological convictions or differences of the same.

But beware..... for he has neither need for reinvention nor does HE suffer fools who think they need to do it.

And the crowed roared it's approval with a thunderous ''AMEN''...cept for the atheists and the lost agnostics.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by medenaywe

Latin "DeUS"=Devine mouth presents,Zeus had had different phonemes DzE...Dze mouth presents!ALaH=Victim-like wing arrows!(He)I believe it is combined God&God of Time presentation even if there are more than one possibility of voices:ALLaH=Victim-like spark wings arrow!(He decide about your death and arrow that follows it?!?)All Presentations of God we have shared long time ago from the very beginning of human kind.Especially Med Sea cultures people.
P.S.
Dze are footprints of Goddess on "stone sky" above and we knew it as Sun God!

Wasn't the sun god Apollo? Zeus was the god of thunder
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 16:11
Apollo is essentially known as a sun god only after the 3rd Ce. BC. Prior to that he is and continues as a representation of light.. truth... prophecy...healing...bringer of sickness and plague... music and poetry.

During the aforementioned he superseded Helios.

Zeus was the chief of gods in the pantheon and is the ruler of the sky and thunder... but not entirely of storms or wind; he sub-let that responsibility to others....complex shitt. No doubt they were either drunk or high when they attempted this ideological-theological creation. Not buying a etymological relationship between Greek and Arabic and Zeus and Allah or Apollo and Allah....to many sme's disagree.

See the link.

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 19:06
Originally posted by Abudhar

THANKS Brother GHARANAI for such high inspiring issue as Muslims we have the 99 names of the Exalted Allah according to the teachings of the holy Quran which stress:

"And to Allah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.Holy Quran (180), but still other God's Names & Attributes such as God in Latin , or KHUDA In Farsi are welcomed as long as they are intended to invoke the SOLE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!

Names of Allah in the Quran do not refer to his ACTUAL name the same way Yahweh to Jews refers to his actual name which is why it is prohibited for them to mention it. This concept simply means that Allah has names referring to his abilities and attributes which are infinite: The Merciful, the Holy, the King, All-Powerful.... etc

These are only names that allow us humans to refer to God and understand him more. Allah is not his personal name and best proof of this is the fact that Arab Christians call him Allah although the Old Testament sayis his name is YHWH.

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:26
According to this translation, God's real name is not "I Am" but Ahyh: "I Will Be." It's also been suggested he was called Elohim
http://www.yhwh.com/godsrealname.htm
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 21:29

According to this translation, God's real name is not "I Am" but Ahyh: "I Will Be." It's also been suggested he was called Elohim

I thought it was Yihyeh Asher Yihyeh "I shall be whom I shall be"
Timidi mater non flet
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 00:39
Originally posted by Gharanai

Over centuries, we have seen that people are called by their name, whether he is in Asia, Europ, Africa or Americas the name still will be the same for example if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world, same goes with an Arab named "Ahmad", he would be called "Ahmad" all around the world.

My point here is to discuss the name of the one and only Allmighy "Allah". Most of the times I have come to see the word "God" used for "Allah", My question from my fellow muslim brothers and sisters is whether it is right to use "God" instead of "Allah" or not? (To me: It's a sin to use it.)

We (muslims) do believe that there is Only one Allah and no one but Allah and who don't has any gender, and is made of light (noor).

Below are the meanings for both of the words, now it's upto you all to decide whether to use it or not and whether it's a sin or not.

Allah: The personal name of the one true creator in Islam. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. From the 112th sura of the Qur'an Sharief: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Say (O Mohammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone." Reference:

God:

1. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity (as Goddess could be used for a femal type) thought to control some part of nature or reality.
  2. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
  3. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
  4. A very handsome man.
  5. A powerful ruler or despot.

Reference:

Now my dear muslim brothers and sisters do consider on the bold and underlined words and phrases above, then let me know of what you think.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=6>Isn't it best to use "Allah" instead of "God" ?

The ancient Hebrews or Jews had many names for their God but really the word God is just a title. One name was so sacred that a Jew would not utter it, Yahweh or often rendered Jehovah. You can find this in the Torah or Old Testement.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:57

Doesn't that mean the same thing: "I am" in the future tense?
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 14:31

Doesn't that mean the same thing: "I am" in the future tense?

exactly, that was pretty much my point.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 19:37
So if Yahweh "will be" God in the future, was this the creator God referring to his own immortality, or was it actually his son Jesus communicating with Abraham?
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 08:16

So if Yahweh "will be" God in the future, was this the creator God referring to his own immortality, or was it actually his son Jesus communicating with Abraham?

I think it's meaning is simply that God is Lord of the future as well as present for which reason he shall be as he is now. But you might be right as per Christian theology.
Timidi mater non flet
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 09:15

No one on this forum (or any other for that matter) can adequately address that with any real veracity.
My recommendation? Contact one of the two I have highlighted in your post.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>