Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God or Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God or Allah?
    Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 15:37

Over centuries, we have seen that people are called by their name, whether he is in Asia, Europ, Africa or Americas the name still will be the same for example if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world, same goes with an Arab named "Ahmad", he would be called "Ahmad" all around the world.

My point here is to discuss the name of the one and only Allmighy "Allah".
Most of the times I have come to see the word "God" used for "Allah", My question from my fellow muslim brothers and sisters is whether it is right to use "God" instead of "Allah" or not?
(To me: It's a sin to use it.)

We (muslims) do believe that there is Only one Allah and no one but Allah and who don't has any gender, and is made of light (noor).

Below are the meanings for both of the words, now it's upto you all to decide whether to use it or not and whether it's a sin or not.

Allah:
The personal name of the one true creator in Islam. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. From the 112th sura of the Qur'an Sharief: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Say (O Mohammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone." Reference:

God:

1. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity (as Goddess could be used for a femal type) thought to control some part of nature or reality.
  2. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
  3. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
  4. A very handsome man.
  5. A powerful ruler or despot.

Reference:

Now my dear muslim brothers and sisters do consider on the bold and underlined words and phrases above, then let me know of what you think.

Isn't it best to use "Allah" instead of "God" ?

Edited by Gharanai

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 15:47

Is this April fools too? Seems like ur being serious.

In Iran they say Khoda. doesn't matter, for religious people it isn't a name, god does not have a name, they are words used to refer to the entity that is god/allah etc, for people of an abrahamic persuasion at least.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 16:46
It really isn't an april fool at all, I know that different people calls Allah with different names as in pashtu we call "Ceshtan" but what I want to clearify is that why not to use the word "Allah" nothing else.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:13
Well, Allah is in Arabic, God in English, Deus in Latin, jainkoa in Basque, Tien in Chinese... it's just words, you know. Or are you one of those Muslims that worship words too? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Maju

Well, Allah is in Arabic, God in English, Deus in Latin, jainkoa in Basque, Tien in Chinese... it's just words, you know. Or are you one of those Muslims that worship words too? 

I am agree with maju. there are just names refering to one thing. you can use whichever you want.

BTW, Garanai what does your signature means" khepelvaki ....ghazni"?

Anfører
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:40
Yep, the terms are equivalent. The only difference is the difference in language.

It would be like saying that we should use "Deus" rather than "God."

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 19:33
Come on we all now that Allah, God, Khoda, Jehova, Paul, Deus ect are just colloqualisms for the dieties one true name - Google. Which is the same in all language. (except Thai, then it's Googan)

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
No Sir View Drop Down
  Quote No Sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 21:35

Originally posted by Paul

Come on we all now that Allah, God, Khoda, Jehova, Paul, Deus ect are just colloqualisms for the dieties one true name - Google. Which is the same in all language. (except Thai, then it's Googan)

My Turkish friend pronounces Google as Gog-Lay.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:43

I agree with all of you but my point was that God could be used to any one with something extraordinary like just take an example of a cricketer "Sachin Tendulkar" he is said to be a god of cricket. what do you get by that then.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:54

Originally posted by sirius99

BTW, Garanai what does your signature means" khepelvaki ....ghazni"?

Dear Sirius99,
In reply to your question my signature "Da khepelvaki satandoa Gharanai" means "Savior of Independence, Mountainous".

khepelvaki = Independence
Satandoa = Savior
Gharanai = Mountainous

And that is not ghazni but Gharanai (my name)!!!

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:57
Or you may translate it in persian as "Negahban Aazadi, Kohi" it means our independence is saved by our nature, our Mountains.

My View View Drop Down
  Quote My View Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 07:12

Originally posted by Gharanai

I agree with all of you but my point was that God could be used to any one with something extraordinary like just take an example of a cricketer "Sachin Tendulkar" he is said to be a god of cricket. what do you get by that then.

Dear Gharanai it's all a matter of perception.I am not a muslim but have many muslim friends.In India generally a muslim won't use the word God instead of Allah unless he considers English his mother tongue.If you wish I will explain more.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 10:15
Originally posted by My View

Dear Gharanai it's all a matter of perception.I am not a muslim but have many muslim friends.In India generally a muslim won't use the word God instead of Allah unless he considers English his mother tongue.If you wish I will explain more.

Got what you wanted to tell, but still I would insist on using the word (Allah) , I guess it's up to ones' thinking!

Right Sir View Drop Down
  Quote Right Sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 10:18

Got what you wanted to tell, but still I would insist on using the word (Allah) , I guess it's up to ones' thinking!

Yes Dear Gharanai.Each to his way.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 15:20

Or you may translate it in persian as "Negahban Aazadi, Kohi" it means our independence is saved by our nature, our Mountains.

thanks
Anfører
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 11:35

Originally posted by Maju

Tian was used by the Zhou dynasty. Before that, the Shang used the term Di. As Diin HuangDi(the yellow emperor)&/orHuangDi(emperor).

But, Chinese term Dioriginally referred to ancestor. For example, In Shang oracle bone inscriptions, later Shang sovereigns would call WuDing(a famous Shang King) as Di Ding.

The character Diin its early form looked like a pistil & a stamen of a plant, its probably the result of an agricultural society, in which it symbolized fertility, thus to have a flourishing population, and to have a generation come down to the next.

It might had been entitled to those most important HuaXiachieftains, such as legendaryfive Dis, and the Yellow&Fire emperors(HuangDi&YanDi).It was a reference to ancestry and linage during Shang dynasty, Dias paramount godsin ancient China meant ancestors.

The Zhou was one of most important vassals of the Shang dynasty. From some Zhou inscriptions of their divination practice, the Zhou also worshiped Shang gods, demonstrates strong cultural link between the two. Nevertheless, when the Zhou came to rule, they replaced the word Diwith Tian(literally means sky) was because they are situated to far west. Whereas the Shang in the central plain could get abundance of tortoise-shells for their oracle bone writings as they are the overlord.

But, Zhou as a vassal state to inland western province of ShannXi would hardly get those materials. So the Zhou developed a way by using astronomy(Tian) and calculation(Shu, threads made of plans to count) for those divination practices. Its because of this special emphasis of Zhou culture, that the concept of Tianreplaced Diwhen they came to rule.

The Character Tianin its pictographic form, looked like a man stands facing front, with a round object on his head. As if worshiping it.

Edited by The Charioteer
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 13:54
Wao, Very nice information included dear The Charioteer, really didn't know about it before.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 14:35
So you say charioteer that I was wrong when using Tien for God in Chinese and that I should have used Di instead?

(Notice that your characters are seen strange for those of us that don't have a Chinese font loaded, you may prefer to use images instead).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 14:42
if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world

Not necessarily, for example, John in English becomes Jan in Dutch, Johan in German and Juan in Spanish

Anyways, isn't Allah supposed to have like 99,000 names or something?
Arrrgh!!"
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 16:41

Originally posted by Cywr

if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world

Not necessarily, for example, John in English becomes Jan in Dutch, Johan in German and Juan in Spanish

Anyways, isn't Allah supposed to have like 99,000 names or something?

Dear Cywr,
First of all I would like to say that whether it's English, Dutch or any other language, the position of alphabets could change or even there could be some addition or substraction of charecters, but still the name will not change, you see John, Jan, Johan, and Juan.

What we are talking about is Allah and God, which looks to me completly different and what I realy meant was that the word "God" is not proper as it has plural form along with a option of gender (Goddess) and where Allah is one and no one knows whether Allah is male of female.

Secondly there are 99 (not some un-factfull number 99,000) names showing attributs of Allmighty Allah.

Hope I have clearified you, with this response otherwise your comments and questions are most welcome.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>