Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romanian ethnic identity and language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romanian ethnic identity and language
    Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 01:23
Originally posted by Anton

For Constantine the Greate it is said that once he wrote a book in his home language. Which cannot be Latin or Greek as in this case it would be specified.

Actually his home language was a proto-Vlah, a proto-Romanian.
The same with Justinian.

As a matter of fact the Greeks perceived the Latin speakers of the Balkans as another kind
of Romans, different then those of Rome.

Procopius, when he mentions the event when soldiers hear the military order "torna, torna, fratre"
turn around and run afoul, describes these soldiers as natives, in a derogatory manner,
similarly as Justinian or Constantine are described as speaking their native tongue.

Which leaves you without the argument that Constantine spoke something else than Latin
(or a derivate of it).

Edited by schiau - 11-Jun-2008 at 01:36
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 01:34

Signs of presense of nonassimilated Thracians at the time of arival of Slavs are quite many. Biblia Bessika, 

How about a Biblia Bessika written in a proto-Vlah?
Do you know that Vlahs consider the Bessi as forefathers?

As a matter of fact, the first time Vlahs are mentioned by the Greeks, they call them Bessi or Dacian.

Edited by schiau - 11-Jun-2008 at 01:34
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 01:49

Actually until some time they were written exclusively in Bulgarian. Church slavonic, I repeae, does not propose phrases like "pes da ebe materi mu i zhenamu" (let dog f..cks his mother and wife). This is not something Vlachs knew in churches.   

Now I get what you are saying (or what you don't understand, or refuse to understand).

In your mind, the Valah ruler, Alexandru Aldea (a son of Mircea the Older) was a very educated
person, able to write in Cyrillik, able to talk Bulgarian, and so on.
Nice.

You have a very good opinion about the Valahian rulers.

You know that during those times, most of the rulers were illiterate. They used to surround themselves
with educated persons capable of writing, capable of speaking, reading, and writing of foreign languages,
such as Bulgarian.

Therefore, the ruler Alexandru Aldea, talks to his scribe, speaks in his own tongue, and the
writer translates.

Based on a fallacy you build a theory: Valahia was a country ruled by Bulgarians.
Or, you are saying: the ruling class was Bulgarian.
Or, I don't know what you are saying.

Anyway, you avoid the most important point: Ohrida and Via Egnatia, and the fact,
that around 1774, the Turks destroyed (plundered) the biggest Vlah city in the vicinity
of Ohrid, which at that time had a population of 70 000 people (all Vlah).

Edited by schiau - 11-Jun-2008 at 01:53
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 02:33
"there was never a ancient germanic laguage which did not derive from thracian (unless it was gothic or finno-ugrian). all the most ancient north central europeans were descended from danubian migrants. those danubians who remained on the danube became the thracians. [obviously someone who is V'lakh is in the legion.] there was an ancient danubian language which divided along cultural and economic differences long before the romans ever took control of their city from the etruscans. the three groups of dialects from the original danubian were; "

I was speaking of the term Vlach itself. It is derived from Germanic meaning latin speaker. "Germans" may have migrated from the Danubian space many years ago as the ice caps melted but i'm speaking of the Germanic migrants tribes.

Slavs and Thracians are two different groups. One did not come out of the other unless you are refering "way back when" but at that point we might as well just discuss about how we all come from the same source. Does nothing for this discussion.

"Actually until some time they were written exclusively in Bulgarian. Church slavonic, I repeate, does not propose phrases like "pes da ebe materi mu i zhenamu" (let dog f..cks his mother and wife). This is not something Vlachs knew in churches. "

So one can learn whatever language is needed. This doesn't mean the entire population was subject to Bulgarian influence in this aspect. There were influences of course, going both ways.

"The whole story of drop of Turkic blood in the sea of Slavs is overestimation."

Funny, not even a drop of Bulgar blood and yet you kept their name?

"Actually I do not remember a single mention of Bulgars more esatern than north of Pontus (there were some later mentions of bulgars in Caucassus but it was when they played much role in Balkans). "

Perhaps you forgot the Bulgar Khannates north of the black sea?

"No I do not want to argue this. Neither do I want to argue that Romanians ae slavs. Waste some energy reading the whole thread. I aleady expressed my opinion on the question. "

Then what is the discussion about? Romanians used Church Slavonic for the same reason Hungarians and Poles used Latin. End of story.

"Which one? "

The one concerning the language of the Romanians.

"Vlach and Thracian are kinda different nations existed in different points of time. "

Vlach is simply a term used by Slavs when speaking of Romanized Thracians.

" "Church slavonic language" is an artificial language created on the basis of mostly Bulgarian dialect of Macedonia initially by the great brothers nd then by their disciples who somehow were Bulgarians. "

Actually for the Moravians. Its similarity isn't due because it is silimar to Bulgarian, but because it is a slavic language, and Bulgarian is also a slavic language.

"Cool point me to one self determination of  rulers of Second Bulgarian kingdom after first generation of Assenides and I will agree that I am wrong. "

I don't have to it is simple logic. If the fathers were "Vlachs" then their children were at least in part Vlachs as well.

"Actually Kaloyan in his letter to pope declared continuity with First Bulgarian Kingdom."

Obviously political.

"They are population of people who left many customs and linguistic substrate in languages of Bulgarians, Romanians and Albanians and probably Serbs and other Yugoslavian nations. Not to forget Greeks. 
I hope I didn't disapoint you too much."

Let me put it this way. By the time the Slavs arrived, all the Thracians were already Romanized. Maybe some free Dacians roamed about in the north of Romania, but other then that it was all mostly Romanized.

"He was Thracian."

True, and the sub group of Dacian, not Illyrian. Nissius was Dacian and he took the title of Dacius Maximus.

"
Look above as well as in other threads where it was discussed earlier. In some of them you already made some posts as I found. The fact that you didn't mention this discussion probably means that you in fact didn't read them. There you can find citations of chronicles, citations of Jurecek linguistic analysis, Florin Curta's ideas about  Slavs, particularly interesting fact about how Bulgarians call Philippopolis etc. "

Nothing i've read mentions any un Romanized Thracians in Thrace or the Balkans.

"Your theory is an antimaghiar theory, evolved during the XVIII-th century in
Transylvania, as a reaction against the maghiar feudal inspired nationalism."

Really? I think it is more accurate to say that the rossler theory evolved from the Romanians in Transilvania who wanted their independence from the opressive Hungarian rulership.

"It is called the daco-romanian continuity theory.
As the name says, it is only a theory."

Except this theory has many proofs to which I listed several.

"

The fact that you wear bluejeans makes you American?

The fact that you drive a Toyota makes you Japanez?

The fact that people north of Danube used the potter's wheel makes them

Latin (vulgar Latin, neo-Latin) speakers?"

The fact that other then the Romans there was no other people in Dacia that could have used a pottler wheel makes the people using the potter wheel there Romans, more accuratly Daco-Romans. Who else was using the potter's wheel if not them? SOMEONE had to. The only people that could were Romans.

"Goths, Huns, Avars, Gepids"

Nope. They didn't have a potter's wheel at the time.

"not at all relevant on the sujbect: Daco-Romanian continuity."

If you would read the whole quote you would see that it would. The king used the term jude over a germanic one because the people he ruled over were latinesque at jude was a relative term to them instead of something germanic.

"

PACURAR   means in Banat, Crisana (western part of Romania) shephard,

exactly the same work used by the Arumanians/Vlahs of the Balkans."

Pacura and Pacurar aren't the same thing. You're confusing two terms.

"when the Romans start occupying the Balkans, the first thing they did was to build

strategic roads. A very important one was Via Egnatia. Along these roads,

veterans were endowed with land. The whole Balkan became a Roman

land."

Yes but you obviously missed the linguistic point. Batran means old man. But this does not corespond with the latin word for old man. For example the Italians, French and Spanish don't use anything similar to Batran, but "vecki" or something of that sort. We have that word too but we don't use it for people, only things. So we got our terminology via Roman veterans. That was the point.

"Everywhere in the Balkans Bistrita is a common name. But the Vlahs in the Balkans use

for the same river the name Repedea."

This showed that they lived together based on linguistics. You're missing the point again.

"Barsa is of Kuman origin."

Says you. I'll go with Sextil.

"In fact it is a Hungarian name."

Proof? Source?

"Most of the Serbian and Bulgarian arheologist agree that the number of cemeteries, the
number of toponomies that include the suffix "dava" increased south of Danube after the
Aurelian retreat."

Show us. In any case i didn't say nobody withdrew from Dacia, just that not everyone or even most people withdrew.

"Signs of presense of nonassimilated Thracians at the time of arival of Slavs are quite many. Biblia Bessika, Thracian names in Greek inscriptions and nongreek epitaphs, mistakes in those inscriptions that can be done only by nonnative speakers, presence of name Pulpudeva for Philippopolis, findings of Thracian hero in completely different style as Greek one etc. "

Inscriptons should be dated. They could be of any age. It doens't mean they were written then and there.

"Bulgars went to Volga only after Kubrats death or even later. You kinda show ignorance in Bulgarian history which is fine untill you try to speak about it. Thracian names and ethnonyms are met up to 6th century at the time when Slavs were settled in Balkans.   "

The volgar river is very long. I am speaking of when they migrated from the east. Or are you saying Bulgars were always in Thrace?

"For Constantine the Greate it is said that once he wrote a book in his home language. Which cannot be Latin or Greek as in this case it would be specified."

Latina vulgaris maybe?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 08:51
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

So one can learn whatever language is needed. This doesn't mean the entire population was subject to Bulgarian influence in this aspect. There were influences of course, going both ways.
Both ways of course. Any examples of the influence of Vallachian population on Bulgarian culture?

Funny, not even a drop of Bulgar blood and yet you kept their name?
Funny thing is that Bulgar burrials were around 30% i Moesia didn't look like Turkic in any characteristics at all and yet they didn't live a single Turkic word at all.

Perhaps you forgot the Bulgar Khannates north of the black sea?
Funny discussion! I tell you I do not remember any Bulgars more east than north of Black Se and you tell me how about Bulgars North of Black Sea. Do you actually read what am I writing?

Then what is the discussion about? Romanians used Church Slavonic for the same reason Hungarians and Poles used Latin. End of story.
No. Not at all. You have plenty of inscriptions in Polish whereas you don't have a single one in romanian earlier than 16-17 century. So, the story just begins. 

The one concerning the language of the Romanians.
Which is?

Vlach is simply a term used by Slavs when speaking of Romanized Thracians.
Romanized Thracians are simply Romans especially at the times of Constantine or Justinian. 

Actually for the Moravians. Its similarity isn't due because it is silimar to Bulgarian, but because it is a slavic language, and Bulgarian is also a slavic language.
They had differences at that time. Most of church texts were done in Bulgaria already by  
Constantine of Preslav, Kliment ofOhrid and others.

I don't have to it is simple logic. If the fathers were "Vlachs" then their children were at least in part Vlachs as well.
Simple logic does not work. Especially if you cannot really prove their fathers were Vlachs really. 

Obviously political.
Really? Obviously for who?

Let me put it this way. By the time the Slavs arrived, all the Thracians were already Romanized.
No, at the arrivals of Slavs there were many non assimilated Thracians. Their names and inscriptions says so.

Maybe some free Dacians roamed about in the north of Romania, but other then that it was all mostly Romanized.
Fairy tales. Those ones would be killed first of all. 

Nothing i've read mentions any un Romanized Thracians in Thrace or the Balkans.
This just shows how well you read what was written. 
Inscriptons should be dated. They could be of any age. It doens't mean they were written then and there.
Inscriptions ARE dated. And in some cases they mention contgemporary events.  

The volgar river is very long. I am speaking of when they migrated from the east. Or are you saying Bulgars were always in Thrace?
OK, bother to show any archeological evidences of Bulgars staying in Volga prior to 4-5th centuries? 

Latina vulgaris maybe?
Latina vulgaris is Latin.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 08:54
Originally posted by schiau

Actually his home language was a proto-Vlah, a proto-Romanian.
The same with Justinian.

You can only speculate about this. You do not have any proofs really.

Which leaves you without the argument that Constantine spoke something else than Latin
(or a derivate of it).
Probably. However there are plenty of arguments that Romanization of Thracians were not signifficant at his time, so it is logically to propose that it was actually Thracian.  
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 08:56

How about a Biblia Bessika written in a proto-Vlah?

protovlach is simply Latin at those times.

Do you know that Vlahs consider the Bessi as forefathers?
As a matter of fact, the first time Vlahs are mentioned by the Greeks, they call them Bessi or Dacian.
I doubt this. This might be something that came after Romanian national revival.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 09:33

I was speaking of the term Vlach itself. It is derived from Germanic meaning latin speaker. "Germans" may have migrated from the Danubian space many years ago as the ice caps melted but i'm speaking of the Germanic migrants tribes.

In that theory, the German word is Walh/Walechen (foreigner or non German), however, it was used for Celts and Latin speakers in general not specifically Latin speakers of the Balkans.

However, may I add some more etymologies I've found from other Vlach sources?

- from Egyptian "Phelach" which means farmer
- from Greek Vlichi (att.) or Vlacha (Dor. with accent on the second a) which is the process of bleating.
- From the Celtic tribe known as Volcae which became latin speaking and with that name the Germans called most of the latin speakers. (personally I never understood the connection)
- From the words Vale (valley) and aqua (water)  = Valaqua, which describes the characteristics of the occupation of the Vlachs.

Edited by Flipper - 11-Jun-2008 at 09:33

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 14:42
Well, for short, the romanian language is considered ( alongside sard dialect of italian language ) the most close to ancient latin, and the folklore of romanians is considered mostly from dacian origin ( with presence even oldest, from neolithic ), so is not a big debate here, about daco-roman theory.
 We can argue as well about the fact that danubian region, region between Carpatian and Balkan mountains, with an extention to north of Black Sea was the region where the civilization begin in Europe, and the region from where so called indo-european peoples start to migrate, so this can be an answer of a suposedly close between dacian and latin language, how was for example phrygian with greek and armenian ones. However, in my opinion, dacian ( getians - north thracians ) was the bigger part of thracian peoples, if you look at their teritories.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 14:51
[QUOTE=Anton
  . Any examples of the influence of Vallachian population on Bulgarian culture?

[QUOTE]

Well, from what i know, we have the "Martisor" celebration, wich i heard bulgarians have to ( Martenitsa, or something like that )

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 15:03
Originally posted by diegis

Well, from what i know, we have the "Martisor" celebration, wich i heard bulgarians have to ( Martenitsa, or something like that )

Martenitsa/Martisor custom is considered to be of Thracian origin.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 15:32

the folklore of romanians is considered mostly from dacian origin

this has nothing in common with reality. It is fiction.

t
this can be an answer of a suposedly close between dacian and latin language,

this is more than fiction, it is called Napoleonism (some people call it DacoMania,
and it is a theory promoted by a dentist well connected with the communist Securitatea).
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 15:41

You can only speculate about this. You do not have any proofs really.

Probably. However there are plenty of arguments that Romanization of Thracians were not signifficant at his time, so it is logically to propose that it was actually Thracian.  

Everything what you are saying is 100% full proof.
It fits very well the nationalist vision promoted by the Balkan nations.

According to this vision, the Albanians are the followers of the Illyrians, the Bulgarians are
the followers of the Thracians, the Croats are the followers of the Illyrians, the Serbs are
the followers of the Dardanians, and so on.

Similarly, north of the Danube, the Romanians are the followers of the Dacians.
The funniest part is that according to this theory, the Hungarians are the followers of the Huns.

Obviously this is a nationalism of the worst quality.
I call it junk nationalism, which, during the communist period, was inflated to huge proportions,
beyond science fiction, becoming national-communism, similar to Hitler's vision,
the national-socialistic vision of pure Aryans.

Why don't we look at history, at the facts surrounding the Balkans events up to the year
600 to understand better the reality? Why do you exhibit this kind of fallacies which lead us to
nothing, but bullshit?

Edited by schiau - 11-Jun-2008 at 15:41
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 16:17

Everything what you are saying is 100% full proof.
It fits very well the nationalist vision promoted by the Balkan nations.

According to this vision, the Albanians are the followers of the Illyrians, the Bulgarians are
the followers of the Thracians, the Croats are the followers of the Illyrians, the Serbs are
the followers of the Dardanians, and so on.

Similarly, north of the Danube, the Romanians are the followers of the Dacians.
The funniest part is that according to this theory, the Hungarians are the followers of the Huns.

Obviously this is a nationalism of the worst quality.
I call it junk nationalism, which, during the communist period, was inflated to huge proportions,
beyond science fiction, becoming national-communism, similar to Hitler's vision,
the national-socialistic vision of pure Aryans.

Why don't we look at history, at the facts surrounding the Balkans events up to the year
600 to understand better the reality? Why do you exhibit this kind of fallacies which lead us to
nothing, but bullshit?

I have nothing more to say.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 17:40

I have nothing more to say.

Exactly.
What is the point of talking nationalism (pure national-communistic propaganda)
on a history forum?
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 18:54
"Both ways of course. Any examples of the influence of Vallachian population on Bulgarian culture?"

Aren't we talking about Romanian ethnicity and not Bulgarian one? Start a thread.

"Funny thing is that Bulgar burrials were around 30% i Moesia didn't look like Turkic in any characteristics at all and yet they didn't live a single Turkic word at all."

Orkhon script? Forgot about that?

"Funny discussion! I tell you I do not remember any Bulgars more east than north of Black Se and you tell me how about Bulgars North of Black Sea. Do you actually read what am I writing?"

How about Bulgars in the central asian steppe?

"No. Not at all. You have plenty of inscriptions in Polish whereas you don't have a single one in romanian earlier than 16-17 century. So, the story just begins."

What does that count for?

"Which is?"

I already discussed it. IT was about the letters using latin.

"Romanized Thracians are simply Romans especially at the times of Constantine or Justinian."

Yea Romans of Thracian origin. No doubt.

"They had differences at that time. Most of church texts were done in Bulgaria already by  
Constantine of Preslav, Kliment ofOhrid and others."

Point still stands.

"Simple logic does not work. Especially if you cannot really prove their fathers were Vlachs really."

The Asen brothers were Vlachs. Why would Bulgars raise up in rebellion over taxes on shepherds?

"Really? Obviously for who?"

Obvious for me. If you want to lead a rebellion you try to link yourself to the previous regime that fell to give yourself some weight.

"No, at the arrivals of Slavs there were many non assimilated Thracians. Their names and inscriptions says so."

Show us. Because like that I can say there were Korean names and inscriptions.

"Fairy tales. Those ones would be killed first of all. "

Fairy Tales? No, there are proofs of the free Dacians that weren't conquored by the Romans still harrassing and attacking Roman lands later onward. Why is that a fairy tale? Why is it a fairy tale that Dacians that didn't get conquored continued to exist but Thracians living under the Romans, well there was no way they didn't get assimilated according to you? You're contradicting yourself.

"This just shows how well you read what was written. "

Or how poorly you made your point.

"Inscriptions ARE dated. And in some cases they mention contgemporary events.  "

Show.

"OK, bother to show any archeological evidences of Bulgars staying in Volga prior to 4-5th centuries?"

Did I say that? No i simply said that they originated from the east. You aren't direct in your points. Are you saying Bulgars are indengenious to Thrace?

"Latina vulgaris is Latin."

Wrong, it's common latin popular especially in the balkans.

"Probably. However there are plenty of arguments that Romanization of Thracians were not signifficant at his time, so it is logically to propose that it was actually Thracian."

Thrace was under Roman control for how many hundreds of years? No one is buying that Bulgarians are the non Romanized non Hellenized Thracians. This is at best speculation, and more reasonably, national propaganda with territorial interests, which we both know.

"protovlach is simply Latin at those times."

No it is latina vulgaris, common latin mixed in with some other vocabulary words. But the grammar remained the same, even to this day.

"In that theory, the German word is Walh/Walechen (foreigner or non German), however, it was used for Celts and Latin speakers in general not specifically Latin speakers of the Balkans."

It was used for Romanized populations like the Welsh and the Walachs. But Vlach itself was from the slavs refering to latin speakers. There are two terms. Valah, and Vlach, which are related but slightly different in context.

"Martenitsa/Martisor custom is considered to be of Thracian origin."

Romanians = Thracian origin. Salut :)

"this has nothing in common with reality. It is fiction."

Based on what?

"this is more than fiction, it is called Napoleonism (some people call it DacoMania,
and it is a theory promoted by a dentist well connected with the communist Securitatea)."

I don't think the communists reached that far back in time.

While I believe within our own history we need to make the correct balance between the Dacian element and the Roman element we can not ignore either one. Both play vital roles. You seem to be a reactionary against one element or another and I don't think this provides us with an accurate discussion of our history. Even though the communist regime in all the countries made nationalistic propaganda, I believe the Romanians did the least fabricating of all. And I say this living in America since I was 7, discovering my roots from the outside.

"I have nothing more to say."

Nothing much to reply to the truth is there?
GoldenBlood View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote GoldenBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 19:07
Originally posted by Sarmat12

There are some interesting words in Romanian language which probably came as a part of Turkish influence, like for example Dushman for the enemy. AFAIK it's actually a Persian word. But most likely it came with the Turks.

Dushman is ancient greek (Dusmanis) word not turkish, in XIV century had one albanian tribes, Dushmani...even later Leke Dushmani foght along Skanderbeg againt Othomans.

Edited by GoldenBlood - 11-Jun-2008 at 19:11
Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 19:15

Orkhon script? Forgot about that?

It is not exclusively Turkic and unfortunately for many Bulgarian inscriptions can hardly be read using this script.

How about Bulgars in the central asian steppe?
Any sources?

That is Latin text.

Yea Romans of Thracian origin. No doubt.

But not Vlachs. 

The Asen brothers were Vlachs. Why would Bulgars raise up in rebellion over taxes on shepherds?

Because Assenides didn't get titles from Conctantinople. Personal offense.

Obvious for me.
That says a lot.

Show us. Because like that I can say there were Korean names and inscriptions.

Few examples -- Bessian language in Sinai Mountain in 7th century and mention of Thracian language by John the Lydian in 5th. Mention of Bessi from Thrace by Procopius and John the Lydian. Bulgarian name Plovdiv comes from Thracian Pulpudeva rather than Greek Philippopolis.

Or how poorly you made your point.
OK. I poorly made my point. You won. 

"Inscriptions ARE dated. And in some cases they mention contgemporary events.  "
Show.

V.Beshevliev. "Prouchvaniya na lichnite imena u trakite".

Did I say that? No i simply said that they originated from the east. You aren't direct in your points. Are you saying Bulgars are indengenious to Thrace?
So show me any evidence that they originated more east than north of Pontus.  

Wrong, it's common latin popular especially in the balkans.
 Wishfull thinking.

Thrace was under Roman control for how many hundreds of years? No one is buying that Bulgarians are the non Romanized non Hellenized Thracians. This is at best speculation, and more reasonably, national propaganda with territorial interests, which we both know.
Nobody is selling this point apart from you.  I waste my time.

"Martenitsa/Martisor custom is considered to be of Thracian origin."
Romanians = Thracian origin. Salut :)
Exclusively Romanians=Thracian origin, I suppose? LOL Who is repeating "national propaganda with territorial claims after all?

"I have nothing more to say."
Nothing much to reply to the truth is there?
Bye.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 19:46
"It is not exclusively Turkic and unfortunately for many Bulgarian inscriptions can hardly be read using this script."

It has turkic in it. Bulgars were Turkic and that element is still in the Bulgarians today. You still kept the name even!

"Any sources?"

Though I don't make a habit of quoting wiki, it's a starting point.

"That is Latin text."

And what is Romanian derived from? What did Romanized populations speak? What did Vlachs speak?

"But not Vlachs."

Vlachs = Romanized Thracians.

"Because Assenides didn't get titles from Conctantinople. Personal offense."

Pure speculation. I've never heard this before.

"V.Beshevliev. "Prouchvaniya na lichnite imena u trakite". "

Doesn't answer a thing.

"So show me any evidence that they originated more east than north of Pontus."

Already did. I'm asking again to be sure. You say Bulgars are indegenious to the Balkans? Thrace specifically? Could you show me some chronicles or quotes through out history, medieval age and all stating such a thing? Because to me it seems like under the communist regime archeologists found all of this gold and treasure. And they knew they had no relation to it historically, so the communist government made up the propaganda to link them to the land saying Bulgarians are really Thracians, or that Bulgars are indengenious to the lands.

"Wishfull thinking."

This isn't a point to be made. Latina Vulgaris is like Koine Greek. The common tongue of the people in their respective regions. That translates to "vulgar latin".

"Nobody is selling this point apart from you.  I waste my time."

Really? Because you've continued to make this exact point with every post.

"Exclusively Romanians=Thracian origin, I suppose? LOL Who is repeating "national propaganda with territorial claims after all?"

I didn't say exclusive but probably the most. Serbs and Croats have Thracian linnage in them but most of their genetic composition is slavic, just like the Bulgarians. I'm not making territorial claims. I don't want the former Yugoslavia. What are your opinions on Dobrogea btw?

"Bye."

Thought so.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 19:54

It has turkic in it. Bulgars were Turkic and that element is still in the Bulgarians today. You still kept the name even!
"Any sources?"

Though I don't make a habit of quoting wiki, it's a starting point.

As a starting point see archeological evidences about Bulgars by Rasho Rashev.

"Because Assenides didn't get titles from Conctantinople. Personal offense."
Pure speculation. I've never heard this before.

You keep showing your ignorance.

"V.Beshevliev. "Prouchvaniya na lichnite imena u trakite". "
Doesn't answer a thing.
Read the book and you will find many examples.

Already did. I'm asking again to be sure. You say Bulgars are indegenious to the Balkans? Thrace specifically?
No you didn't. Bulgars were not from Balkans. However modern Bulgarians are mostly local. By genetics, culture and to some extent even language. They are result of mix of local population with upcoming tribes. Exactly as other Balkanese including Romanians. The fact that your countrymates usually nationalistically refuse to admit.

Could you show me some chronicles or quotes through out history, medieval age and all stating such a thing? Because to me it seems like under the communist regime archeologists found all of this gold and treasure. And they knew they had no relation to it historically, so the communist government made up the propaganda to link them to the land saying Bulgarians are really Thracians, or that Bulgars are indengenious to the lands.
Now this starts to be ridiculous.  

"Exclusively Romanians=Thracian origin, I suppose? LOL Who is repeating "national propaganda with territorial claims after all?"

I didn't say exclusive but probably the most. Serbs and Croats have Thracian linnage in them but most of their genetic composition is slavic, just like the Bulgarians. I'm not making territorial claims.

Yeah and who is repeating communist nationalistic propaganda after all? LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>