Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Popes, Patriarchs, Turks and Religious Repression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popes, Patriarchs, Turks and Religious Repression
    Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 02:08

It will be far easier if the patriarchate would bother to learn Turkish, like all other religious minorities in their host countries.

So palestinians should learn Hebrew?

I do not think the Cyprus issue bears any direct relevance to the patriarchate.

The point I was making was that the rest of the world (at least the Orthodox world) considers the Patriarchate an ecumenical body, irregardless of whether Turkey considers it as such. The international recognized government of Cyprus is a sovereign state and (theoretically) encompasses the whole island. Thus Turkey should have no interest whatsoever in the island (since they don't own it) if they think the Orthodox world should have no interest in the Patriarchate.

The Patriarchate is a legitimate international body, Turkey's not recognizing this as so doesn't make Turkey appear stronger in the world, it makes them look like an ass.

Besides why should religious minority matter? I thought Turkey was a secular republic anyway.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 02:18
Originally posted by bg_turk

1) The Patriarchate is a Turkish institution set up by and for Turkish citizens.

Wrong.
The fact that forummers from all accross the world are involved in this topic proves that it is not just Turkish citizens that care about the patriarchy.
2) Only Turkish citizens can be patriarchs.

You'd better give citizenship to anyone who wants to be patriarchy then.

Are you even a turkish citizen, mr bulgarian?

3) The Patriarchate has to use the Turkish language among all others so that Turkish Christians can understand it.

That is up to the Church to decide not anyone else.

When it comes to your demands and complaints, there is no legal basis for the Turkish government to follow them. You may go and complain at the ECHR if you so wish, I doubt that you will find a sympathetic ear.

The guy who makes to law gets to decide whats legal and whats not.

Turkish should be one of the languages it uses - currently its website is only in Greek and English. How are Turkish christians supposed to read it?

Why do I suspect that turkish christians can speak greek?

1) I think Turkey's long term goal of integrating its Christian community  is far more important than some tourist dollars.
2)With regard to Greeco-Turkish relations, the patriarchate should bear no relevance as it is a Turkish institution, and therefore strictly an internal Turkish affair.
3) I do not see how the points I have laid above are in any way unjust or in contravention to anybodies human rights.

1) Excuse me mate but I think I am in a better position to understand "integration" of religious minorities than you are.
If you give people a sense of security, equality and respect they'll integrate if you pick on them and threaten then they'll fight you.
2) This is complete rubbish. Religions do not follow national boundaries
3) Your loss, you can't know the meaning of justice or human rights.
Originally posted by Janus Rook

I think the Gagauz might have something to say to that Omar......

I meant turks from the Turkish Republic, not turkic peoples.
Originally posted by BG turk

No thank you. It will be far easier if the patriarchate would bother to learn Turkish, like all other religious minorities in their host countries

Ha! This statement stinks of so much ignorance you deserve to get exiled to cambodia (or similar country where you don't speak the language). I damn well bet his turish is better than yours.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 07:08
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Ha! This statement stinks of so much ignorance you deserve to get exiled to cambodia (or similar country where you don't speak the language). I damn well bet his turish is better than yours.

Well I live in a country where the official language is very different from Turkish, and I did learn to speak Bulgarian. If the patriarch speaks Turkish well, which as a Turkish citizen he should do, then it should be no big deal to use Turkish as one of the operational languages so that people with inferior Turkish like me can better understand him.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 07:19
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

1) Excuse me mate but I think I am in a better position to understand "integration" of religious minorities than you are.
If you give people a sense of security, equality and respect they'll integrate if you pick on them and threaten then they'll fight you.

Then how come you do not understand that learning the language of the host is the most important part of integration?

In the Balkans they do.

3) Your loss, you can't know the meaning of justice or human rights.

Care to cite which one of the clauses of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is being violated?

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 09:51

[QUOTE=Omar al Hashim]

In the Balkans they do.

[quote]
This is your personal opinion because i live in Balkans and i think that the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights  applied also in Balkans.
If you are interest to read it here is the site

Edited by Antioxos - 03-Dec-2006 at 09:52
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 10:14
Originally posted by Antioxos

This is your personal opinion because i live in Balkans and i think that the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights  applied also in Balkans.
If you are interest to read it here is the site

I am very well aware of the Universal Declaration of Human RIghts and II have never stated that it is not applicable in the Balkans.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 10:28
 "this genocide must be inscribed in the memoirs of everyone,
and the tragic fate of the Armenian people must serve as a lesson for the youth.
No one should forget the Armenian will to survive,
so that everyone will know that the Armenian people do not belong to the past, but they are a part of the present and will be here in the future."

Francois Mitterand - January 6, 1984

-->Hm...Isn't good for a signature ? LOL
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 13:42
There is no minority religous leader in europe that has one tenth the importance of the patriarch, and even if there was a "they don't do so why should we?" attitude is completely Wrong and childish. "We" should do the Right thing regardless of what anybody else does or thinks.
right thing? right thing for who?  Absolutely not Turks.

(interestingly, since I think islam is essential to turkish identity, I think if a turk leaves islam he is no longer a turk either)

It is still generally accepted idea, but I think This is true for converted christian turks. Not gagavuz or older christian Turks. I should also add, this thing is dying, but still christianity and turk dont come together much.

Why should it only have one offical language? Turkish should probably be an official language, so probably should greek, bulgarian and
russian.

Lol you called every langauge that should not be offical langauge. Maybe You should say, Kurdish, zaza langauge, armenian, laz, bosnian, arabic and albanian.

There are three good things for turkey,
1) A source of tourist dollars,

Not much money, I think. Orthodox world is not so rich, and they prefer to go antalya, not Aya sofia.(At least russian ones)

2) A source of stability in Greeco-Turkish relations, and muslim-christian relations.
I think both country care, eagean, cyprus issue more. Also Turkish minority and their leaders are also not treated so fine.

3) A chance to be on the side of justice

Indeed, but Ottomans did not gain anything from this.

1) The Patriarchate is a Turkish institution set up by and for Turkish citizens.

It is not, Patriarchate is for greek minority. He is leader of greek minority. He is not leader of armenian or turkish christians.

Acording to lousane. I think this is not much important also, If patriarch benefit is harm to Turkey, He would do it. Not much matter If he is turkish citizen or not.

3) The Patriarchate has to use the Turkish language among all others so that Turkish Christians can understand it.

Turkish christians have no relation with Patriarch. I should also add It is not our job to decide his langauge. He has no relation with Turks or armenians, so he can use his own langauge. Greek one.

Besides why should religious minority matter? I thought Turkey was a secular republic anyway.

Secular republic, that suppress muslim. Why do you think she would to treat better to greek or armenian christians? I should also add, Patriarch have political power.

"this genocide must be inscribed in the memoirs of everyone,
and the tragic fate of the Armenian people must serve as a lesson for the youth.
No one should forget the Armenian will to survive,
so that everyone will know that the Armenian people do not belong to the past, but they are a part of the present and will be here in the future."

change your nick to brainlost, this has no relation with topic. Just dont destroy topic.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by Mortaza

It is not, Patriarchate is for greek minority. He is leader of greek minority.

Who are after all Turkish citizens.

Acording to lousane. I think this is not much important also, If patriarch benefit is harm to Turkey, He would do it. Not much matter If he is turkish citizen or not.

The patriarchate is not "harmful". The Turkish citizenship requirement is important precisely in order to eliminate the threat of foreigners spreading separatist ideologies to Turkish Greeks and other Orthodox Turkish citizens.

Secular republic, that suppress muslim. Why do you think she would to treat better to greek or armenian christians? I should also add, Patriarch have political power.

If you think the Turkish republic is "suppressing" Moslems, you havent got the slightest idea of what real oppression is. And the current human rights irregularities against Christians and Alevis in Turkey are far more serious than your imagined "oppression".
I personally think the Alevis preach a very tolerant version of Islam and I do not understand why they are shunned so badly by the Turkish state.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 21:06

See, I'm sure that if you talked to Turkish christians they would say that they are the ones being oppressed and the muslims are getting it easy. That's not the point I'm making though. It sounds to me as if Turkey might be using religious differences to divide it's population so that there attention is drawn elsewhere. If the christians and muslims allied for greater religious freedom instead of blaming each other and being divisive then Turkey would be able to become a more internationally friendly place.

I also agree that the Patriarch has political power, it's just he has no political authority within the Turkish state. Although I believe the Patriarch neither wants nor expects political authority, just to keep his political power.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 21:11

Care to cite which one of the clauses of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is being violated?

Um...actually, yes. The emphasis is mine:

Article 2
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 6
Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Article 7
All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 12
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 17
(1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

Article 19
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 26
(3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

Article 30
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

Well, there you go. And the fact that some of these injustices manifest themselves in the West as well do not make it right in Turkey; these Western injustices only make it more important to address the issue, wherever it rises, honestly, openly, and on a prioritized basis.

-Akolouthos

-Akolouthos
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 23:28
I know that the situation with the Christian community within Turkey, as with other religious minorities such as the Alevi, is not rosy at the moment, and the violations that you have stated above are legitimte concerns that should be looked into and corrected. Property confiscations, vandalism attacks and insults against the patriarchate are of course unacceptable.

But the turkish citizenship requirement, the need to use the Turkish language, and the non-recogntition of the ecumenical nature of the Patriarchate as far as I can see are not in violation of any of the articles you cited and shall remain in place.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 23:58
I can, to some extent, understand the reasoning behind the Turkish citizenship requirement, although I vehemently disagree with it. I do think it is meddling in the concerns of a private organization.

As for the non-recognition of the ecumenical nature of the Patriarchate, I wouldn't even qualify that as religious repression. I think it is a bit petty and unrealistic, but I would not deny the Turkish government the same rights that I believe the Patriarch deserves.

I do not understand the need to use the Turkish language. I would, in all honesty and humility, appreciate an explanation. Personally, I think it is kind of foolish of the Patriarchal see to not use Turkish, as that would seem to be the best way to communicate with the citizens of the nation in which it finds itself, but I fail to see the reason behind a need to demand it.

-Akolouthos
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:11
They have minority rights, including to know and use their langauge freely, and they are far from becoming Turkish. It is stupid greeks claim turks as muslim greeks, and It is not more sensible to call greek as turk. They must not speak Turkish. It is their preference to learn or not..
The patriarchate is not "harmful". The Turkish citizenship requirement is important precisely in order to eliminate the threat of foreigners spreading separatist ideologies to Turkish Greeks and other Orthodox Turkish citizens.

Realy? we have 2000 greek, and Turkish orthodox are more nationalist than MHP. I dont see these guys can try to divide istanbul which have more than 15 million people.

f you think the Turkish republic is "suppressing" Moslems, you havent got the slightest idea of what real oppression is

Realy? so you can teach me what is oppression? Sorry but, It is my family who is oppressed, not yours. So you dont need to teach me what is oppression..I know better than you.
the current human rights irregularities against Christians and Alevis in Turkey are far more serious than your imagined "oppression".
You are right about christians, but wrong about alevis. State is only ignoring them. I wish state also ignore us.
personally think the Alevis preach a very tolerant version of Islam and I do not understand why they are shunned so badly by the Turkish state.

They are just ignored, by the way, You just showed your double face again, when you are protecting alevis, you are against of sunnis. Just because you have more common with alevis. Anyway, when double standart comes from you, I wont become much angry.

See, I'm sure that if you talked to Turkish christians they would say that they are the ones being oppressed and the muslims are getting it
easy.

That is true, Christians are oppressed worse, we are getting it easy. At least we have right to buillt mosques, but state appoint our imams.

That's not the point I'm making though. It sounds to me as if Turkey might be using religious differences to divide it's population so that there attention is drawn elsewhere. If the christians and muslims allied for greater religious freedom instead of blaming each other and being divisive then Turkey would be able to become a more internationally friendly place
Tell this to christians and muslims, Infact majority of them support oppression to each other.

I also agree that the Patriarch has political power, it's just he has no political authority within the Turkish state. Although I believe the Patriarch neither wants nor expects political authority, just to keep his political power.

I have not that much trust to patriarch.

But the turkish citizenship requirement, the need to use the Turkish language, and the non-recogntition of the ecumenical nature of the Patriarchate as far as I can see are not in violation of any of the articles you cited and shall remain in place.

Stop to become an asimilator fasist.both greeks and armenians have right to use their own langauge. Forcing Turkish over greek or armenians is totally violation of their rights.

Infact forcing Turkish over kurdish or other people too. If you dont know this, dont talk about violation right.

It is absurd you accuse bulgarians, because they tried to change your names and langauge. Your double standarts are becoming boring, and disgusting.

They have their right from lousane treatry, is this realy too much difficult to understand? It is sad, you are more fasist than Turkish goverment. Noone asked them to change their langauge, except you..

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:19
I am glad you understand my points.
As far as the ecumenical nature of the patriarchate is concerned, I think the patriarchate should be free to use that title at its own discretion, but the Turkish government cannot be expected to recognize such a title for the reasons described above.

Regarding the language issue, I think it is important for the Patriarchate to start using Turkish in order to facitiliate the dialogue between it and the rest of Turkish society - it would be an important step to overcome the distrust and animosity.

Just came accross a nice movie on youtube which in the end also features the patriarchate:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YAvfxA6a94

I believe the Patriarchate is a great addition to the religious and cultural richness and diversity of the Turkish nation.

Edited by bg_turk - 04-Dec-2006 at 00:22
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:20
I do not understand the need to use the Turkish language. I would, in all honesty and humility, appreciate an explanation. Personally, I think it is kind of foolish of the Patriarchal see to not use Turkish, as that would seem to be the best way to communicate with the citizens of the nation in which it finds itself, but I fail to see the reason behind a need to demand it.

Infact It is stupidy to want patriarch to speak Turkish. Why should we put Turkish christians under patriarch? should we reinforce patriarch?
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:40

They have minority rights, including to know and use their langauge freely, and they are far from becoming Turkish. It is stupid greeks claim turks as muslim greeks, and It is not more sensible to call greek as turk. They must not speak Turkish. It is their preference to learn or not..

If they do not speak Turkish how are they to function and communicate within society? One single language is necessary to ensure the smooth functioning of the state, and all ethnic minorities within Turkey are required to learn Turkish in order to be able to take advantage of their right and fulfil their duties as citizens.

Realy? we have 2000 greek, and Turkish orthodox are more nationalist than MHP. I dont see these guys can try to divide istanbul which have more than 15 million people.

I strongly doubt that Turkish orthodox christians are MHP supporters. Where did you read that?

f you think the Turkish republic is "suppressing" Moslems, you havent got the slightest idea of what real oppression is

Realy? so you can teach me what is oppression? Sorry but, It is my family who is oppressed, not yours. So you dont need to teach me what is oppression..I know better than you.

Just because you cannot wear the headscarf you feel you are oppressed? Maybe you would feel less oppressed under Sharia, where you will be lashed for having sex, and where all will have to cover their face?

Stop to become an asimilator fasist.both greeks and armenians have right to use their own langauge. Forcing Turkish over greek or armenians is totally violation of their rights.

Infact forcing Turkish over kurdish or other people too. If you dont know this, dont talk about violation right.

It is absurd you accuse bulgarians, because they tried to change your names and langauge. Your double standarts are becoming boring, and disgusting.

They have their right from lousane treatry, is this realy too much difficult to understand? It is sad, you are more fasist than Turkish goverment. Noone asked them to change their langauge, except you..

I challenge you to quote exactly where I said that minorities should change their language, or appologize for your distortion and lie of me being an "assimilator fascist".  Asking people to learn the official language, is not the same as asking them to change their language. Requiriing minorities to speak the official language of the state in which they live is not in any way fascist, on the contrary it is a common practice in most European states.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:41

Infact It is stupidy to want patriarch to speak Turkish. Why should we put Turkish christians under patriarch? should we reinforce patriarch?

The Patriarch is the spiritual leader of all Turkish citizens professing the Orthodox faith, regardless of their ethnic origins.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:51
If they do not speak Turkish how are they to function and communicate within society?

That is their problem not our.

One single language is necessary to ensure the smooth functioning of the state, and all ethnic minorities within Turkey are required to learn Turkish in order to be able to take advantage of their right and fulfil their duties as citizens.

That is also  their decision not us,  do you think  we should teach every new comer to turkish? Most of them use english.

I strongly doubt that Turkish orthodox christians are MHP supporters. Where did you read that?

I follow them from newspaper, be sure they dont like patriatch, not accept his authority, and they are nationalist.That is why they are only one who get permit to built a new church.
Just because you cannot wear the headscarf you feel you are oppressed? Maybe you would feel less oppressed under Sharia, where you will be lashed for having sex, and where all will have to cover their face?

ghost of sharia? My friend, we are talking about Turkey, not so called dark and theocratic state. So talk about turkey, and her suppression. dont change topic.

I should also add, I will not problem with sheria, but because other will have problem with seria, I do not support it, and I do respect their right.

what I want is same, respect my rights.

And covering their face has no relation with sharia, dont lie.

I challenge you to quote exactly where I said that minorities should change their language, or appologize for your distortion and lie of me being an "assimilator fascist".  Asking people to learn the official language, is not the same as asking them to change their language. Requiriing minorities to speak the official language of the state in which they live is not in any way fascist, on the contrary it is a common practice in most European states.

You said, Patriarch should change his langauge, but patriarch is leader of Greek minority. So you is talking about changing langauge of  greek minority.

Also learning somebody elses langauge is not a fasist way, but forcing them to learn this langauge is facism. So requirement for Turkish is fasism. I dont care If european country do this or not, Infact I think european countries are respecting minority right  less at every new day.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 00:58
The Patriarch is the spiritual leader of all Turkish citizens professing the Orthodox faith, regardless of their ethnic origins.

Offf, tell this to Turkish orthodox. If there is a conflict between  your ideas and reality. You should change your ideas not try to change reality. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>