Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion a human right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abortion a human right?
    Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 15:16
Thread re-opened.

As a reminder please remember that insidiously flattering one another with personal attacks will only end up in a dreaded warning, otherwise please continue with the debates and keep your heads cool.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 18:20
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by gcle2003

...As King John pointed out, advocating the morning after pill instead of abortion is sheer hypocrisy or ignorance. It is an abortifacient (when it works).  

That's false. We had that debate here long ago, and it acts against the implant of the fertilized egg on the womb. For people that believe the egg is not really a fetus before it implants, there is no problem of concience.

And it works.
IF life starts at conception a fertilized egg is a human being and should not be terminated by anything either the morning after pill or an abortion (proper).  When you make the argument that life begins at conception then supporting the morning after pill is hypocritical.  It is hypocritical in this way; when the egg is fertilized something starts growing in it before it even implants on the wall of the uterus taking a pill that kills the fertilized egg by not allowing it to implant, and thus expelling it from the body, is the same as letting it implant and grow a little more and then getting an actual procedure.  In short can you tell me how one is ok and how the other is evil, when both have the same effect of terminating a pregnancy?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 18:45
Moreover the pill sometimes results in the rejection of an implanted egg.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 19:04
In regards to the religious aspects of the abortion debate I have done a little research.  I am Jewish as many of you know, so I researched what my religion says on the issue.  What I found seems to be split.  Halacha (Jewish Law) defines when a fetus becomes a human being, it happens once the head emerges from the womb.  It is interesting to note that modern-Judaism takes the position that abortion is permissible under a certain set of circumstances.  Those circumstances are: abortions are permissible to save the mother's life or health and each case must be decided individually with a rabbi well-versed in Jewish law.  According to the Talmudic tradition the fetus is seen as part of the mother and subhuman.  The Talmud actually contains this expression ubar yerach imo (the fetus is as the thigh of its mother).  Also found in the Talmud is this expression lav nefesh hu, meaning "it is not a person."  The basis for these two statements is Exodus 21:22-24.  In this chapter and verse what is described is causing a miscarriage while fighting, Exodus says if no injury is caused to the woman but she gives birth prematurely/miscarries the man who struck her only has to pay a fine to the husband of the woman.  As you can see here an unborn child in the Jewish Tradition is part of the mother and not a human being.  The Talmud goes on in two other passages about abortion, both passages imply that the fetus is part of the mother and not a separate entity.  The first passage says if a man buys a cow and that cow is pregnant then he owns both the cow and the fetus.  The second passage says if a pregnant woman converts to Judaism, her conversion applies also to the fetus.

I will do more research on the subject but it seems to me that Judaism does not see abortion in the same light as Western Christianity.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 21:30
Islam seems split even amongst the schools.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 22:10

Indeed as Sparten said, there is a huge difference between different legal schools in Islam about abortion.

Each school has its own different views that conflict from the very liberal to the very extreme. For example I just looked two fatwas from two major scholars here in Saudi Arabia. both are considered on the right but one is more liberal than the other. The more liberal guy calls it murder and forbids abortion at all especially after 4 months where he calls it muder.

The other guy, who is in general more extreme, is the opposite. He consider it murder only after 120 days and before that he allows it in case of rape and medical reasons but forbids it if the woman wants abortion just for abortion's sake.

In other schools like the Hanafi school most scholars allow abortion with or without any reason as long as it happens in the first 40 days. Some even go as far as allowing it for the first 120 days even.

All in all, most scholars see no major problem in abortion in the first 40 days, between 40 and 120 is debatable and are unanimous in prohibiting abortion after 120 days.

Recent trends however tend to prohibit abortion completely not for any reason other than "why should we be so liberal when other people from other religions are extreme?"

Al-Jassas
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 11:24
Originally posted by gcle2003

When the situation changed in the US I don't know, but there would necessarily be 9th Amendment issues involved. The Roman Catholic position only changed to considering life beginning at conception in 1869 (Pope Pius IX), until then life - 'ensoulment' was assumed to begin, as in England and the medieval and early modern world generally, when the fetus quickened.

Early Christianity, probably because of the influence of some Jewish thinkers, banned abortion, and as I udnerstand it, the Orthodox tradion kept to that, but St Augustine, St Jerome, Pope Innocent III and St Thomas accepted the Aristotelian concept of abortion being legitimate in the early stages - i.e. prior to ensoulment.

Majority Jewish thinking however takes the position that the fetus only becomes fully human on emergence from the womb: however, various schools interpret abortion as unacceptable, particularly after a quickening period, as being a interference with the emergence of a potential human. Abortion to save the mother is on the whole seen rather as self-defence on the part of the mother.

Well, as far as I know the canonical prohibition against abortion has always held in both the East and the West, and that separate from the debate over the moment of ensoulment. Whether or not it has been considered "murder" has been the subject of discussion in the West on several occasions. Generally among the earliest fathers -- and here I am speaking from memory, so forgive me if I am mistaken -- the child was thought to be a separate human being from the moment of conception. Augustine did represent a shift in that, while still condemning the practice of abortion, he asserted a distinction between an animate and an inanimate child in the womb. Still, he suggested that the inanimate child may yet be given a place at the resurrection of the dead. Eventually, Thomas Aquinas drew further distinctions -- between several different stages of soul development -- vegetative, animal, and rational. Still, these distinctions had more to do with whether or not abortion and murder were the same criminal act; both affirmed that abortion was an offense against human life. The question of ensoulment is generally not discussed as much in the East, which does not view it as directly pertinent to the question over whether or not abortion constitutes murder. Saint Basil explicitly affirms that no "subtle distinction" is to be made between a formed and an unformed fetus, and that in both cases an abortion is a murder. Interestingly enough, Eastern theology holds an exception for cases in which a mother's life is at stake -- and suggests that she and her family should seek the counsel of her spiritual father, while keeping in mind that two lives are at stake. The Roman Church generally only holds an "exception" in cases where the principle of "double effect" would apply (eg. in the case of an ectopic pregnancy, if the fallopian tissue were already destroyed, it could be removed, which would have the result -- but not the goal -- of killing the child). Forgive me, but I am less familiar with Roman canon law post-Schism than I should be.

Generally, the advent of modern genetic research has resolved the vestigial remnants of the debate over ensoulment, and it is now almost universally held in East and West that the soul is present from the moment of conception -- the East generally did not address the question with the same degree of philosophical sophistication; the West has come full circle on this, as the earliest fathers and apologists in both East and West tended not to speculate all that much about Aristotelian notions of ensoulment (cf. Tertullian, although, forgive me, I can't recall where).

As for why the early fathers were so convinced, in contrast to some Jewish and Greek philosophers, that ensoulment took place at the moment of conception, I'm not entirely sure, but I could propose a hypothesis and an explanation of where it came from. From Apostolic times the Church has been opposed to what is often translated as "sorcery" in English editions of the Bible (as in Galatians 5: 19). The word is φαρμακεία, and it describes a wide variety of practices, of which administering abortofacients is one. Coupled with this is the fact that the early apologists found it necessary to affirm the Church's stance on abortion as a refutation of the charges of cannibalism and infanticide that were constantly levelled against the early-Christians by their pagan and Jewish critics. Thus, the principle that the child is ensouled from the moment of conception serves as a demonstration of the absurdity that Christians, who prohibited even the destruction of the child while yet in the womb, were would kill the child once it had been born, or to feast on human flesh during agape meals. I hope that adds a bit of perspective; feel free to ask me to clarify once I'm back with my books. Smile

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 15-Jun-2009 at 11:28
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 13:37

Abortion a human right?

No, its a civil right in most modern secular countries.

The religious part is personal. This is not really about ethics as much as access to safe and clean facilities for women to make their choice. Make it illegal and you will force the desperate ones, that will do it anyway, into harms way. Such facilities should never be easy access points, but they must be made available.

Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 13:48
Akolouthos:  "Coupled with this is the fact that the early apologists found it necessary to affirm the Church's stance on abortion as a refutation of the charges of cannibalism and infanticide that were constantly levelled against the early-Christians by their pagan and Jewish critics. Thus, the principle that the child is ensouled from the moment of conception serves as a demonstration of the absurdity that Christians, who prohibited even the destruction of the child while yet in the womb, were would kill the child once it had been born, or to feast on human flesh during agape meals. I hope that adds a bit of perspective; feel free to ask me to clarify once I'm back with my books. Smile
-Akolouthos "

It is a bit ironic that today some Christian missionaries are accusing Native Americans in the Amazon region for infanticide. Also many times earlier missionaires has accused diverse indigenous peoples for cannibalism.
In the case of the infanticide charges, missionaries in Brasil are now acting for a law that makes it possible to remove native children from their parents. This is a part of a western tradition in removing children from their indigenous parents to gain control over their upbringing and education that earleir has been executed in both the US and in Australia.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 19:23
Originally posted by Carcharodon

What do you think, is abortion a human right or is it something bad that should be forbidden?

neither. why do Sith, i mean people, always think in absolutes?
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 19:57

What do you think, is abortion a human right or is it something bad that should be forbidden? 

Abortion is not a human right, but a cultural right of some nations. A nation can choose to forbid or restrict abortion due to religious or cultural grounds. This nation is not guilty of "violating human rights" anymore than Islamic countries violate human rights by restricting or banning alcohol.  

The efforts of some "progressive" nations to define abortion as a fundamental human right is an example of cultural imperealism. Unfortunatly, the cultural view (abortion) that is being exported is nihhilism.

Originally posted by pinguin

Pinguin, though the image you had provided (which has been removed) was fitting for your argument it was a CoC violation (graphic images). I hope you do understand.
Strange, what could be so graphically offensive about a collection of cells and tissues?  Or was the picture showing something else.....

Edited by Cryptic - 15-Jun-2009 at 20:03
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 20:10
Take my word on it - something else was the case. 
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 22:04

Akolouthos:  "Coupled with this is the fact that the early apologists found it necessary to affirm the Church's stance on abortion as a refutation of the charges of cannibalism and infanticide that were constantly levelled against the early-Christians by their pagan and Jewish critics. Thus, the principle that the child is ensouled from the moment of conception serves as a demonstration of the absurdity that Christians, who prohibited even the destruction of the child while yet in the womb, were would kill the child once it had been born, or to feast on human flesh during agape meals. I hope that adds a bit of perspective; feel free to ask me to clarify once I'm back with my books. Smile
-Akolouthos "

It is a bit ironic that today some Christian missionaries are accusing Native Americans in the Amazon region for infanticide. Also many times earlier missionaires has accused diverse indigenous peoples for cannibalism.
In the case of the infanticide charges, missionaries in Brasil are now acting for a law that makes it possible to remove native children from their parents. This is a part of a western tradition in removing children from their indigenous parents to gain control over their upbringing and education that earleir has been executed in both the US and in Australia.

Don't see what that has to do with the discussion, but okay. LOL

On a serious note, I am not familiar with the situation to which you have referred, but yes, that is a part of the Western tradition -- though it is not part and parcel of Christianity. Generally, as we have said before, the Catholic and Orthodox Churches have been fairly respectful of indigenous cultures, even incorporating those local traditions that can be incorporated into a Christian framework. Historically, Protestant missionaries have been less so; take the situation that existed among Alaskan natives until fairly recently. As far as the irony goes, I don't see it (at least not a great deal of it); the situations are quite historically distinct.

-Akolouthos
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 22:07
Originally posted by Seko

I believe you. What was probably shown was the graphic murder of a human being.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 22:17
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Seko

I believe you. What was probably shown was the graphic murder of a human being.

While I agree with your stance on the issue, and while I think that people need to be exposed to these images, this is not the place in which to do so. The CoC specifically prohibits graphic images in general. Most people on this forum are aware of what these images look like, even if some try not to think about the reality -- for those who are not aware, I would encourage them to look at some of the images. That said, we cannot post them on this forum anymore than we could post graphic pictures of any other murder, a war-zone, etc.

-Akolouthos
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 22:31

^

I agree, such photos should not be shown here.

I just had to point of the irony, a fetus is claimed by many to be simply a collection of cells yet photos showing abortion remains are considered graphic and similar to showing photos of murder victims.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 08:44

Recently, in connection with the election to the EU parliament, a female politician here in Sweden said that she thinks that the right to abortion is a human right and should be considered so also internationally. Many women (and also men) here in Sweden agree with her point of view. But some people also disagree, especially religios christians.

If i may ask, was it Gudrun Schyman that called that a human right? She's the only one i can think of using those words.

I wouldn't call it human right but a necessity for some people. If i personally had a problem with unexpected pregnancy, i would simply swallow it and take responsibility for my actions. It would really kill me, to think that i've killed an embryo just for a f*ck. And i'm not christian to take it to some theological theory. For me it's a matter of ethics and responsibility.

On the other side, some very young people are standing with a dilema of being a parent while not being able to take care of themselves (personaly and financially). In that case a child might bring chaos in their lives and the option of keeping the baby requires nerves of steel and an "express growup".

Some might say that back in the days youngsters became parents and grew up wonderful children and therefore people today should do the same. However, in our times the standards are different. You don't bring a child to the world if you can't provide it a quality of living, meaning that you have a job and you can support yourself. In such cases i understand the choise of some people that were "unlucky" or had "an accident" let's say.

However, I strongly condemn people who frequently do not take precautions and are predetermined that if a child arrives they will make an abortion. Those are pittyful and usually they've done it more than two or three times in their lives.

What is worrying is that someone in Sweden with influence said that and some people tend to take such things as a dogma ("Det är en mänsklig rättighet att göra abort!" some will claim with passion). The abortion rate is already high and i'm afraid if the term "human right" is passed to the people the rate will explode.

PS: I lost a brother when i was a kid, that had never the chance to get born (for physical reasons not abortion) and that's why i feel i have a sentimental view on this subject and i know an unborn human is still a human with the difference we've never seen him/her.

Edited by Flipper - 16-Jun-2009 at 08:51

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 20:41
FlipperIf i may ask, was it Gudrun Schyman that called that a human right? She's the only one i can think of using those words.

Yes, it was indeed Gudrun Schyman. Here you can hear her debating this issue with Chatrine Pålsson Ahlgren from KD:

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 20:55
AkolouthosDon't see what that has to do with the discussion, but okay. LOL

On a serious note, I am not familiar with the situation to which you have referred, but yes, that is a part of the Western tradition -- though it is not part and parcel of Christianity. Generally, as we have said before, the Catholic and Orthodox Churches have been fairly respectful of indigenous cultures, even incorporating those local traditions that can be incorporated into a Christian framework. Historically, Protestant missionaries have been less so; take the situation that existed among Alaskan natives until fairly recently. As far as the irony goes, I don't see it (at least not a great deal of it); the situations are quite historically distinct.

-Akolouthos

Both Protestants and Catholics in different countries have now and then taken away indigenous peoples children just to raise them as Christians and to "civilize" them.

Edited by Carcharodon - 16-Jun-2009 at 20:57
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 21:58

AkolouthosDon't see what that has to do with the discussion, but okay. LOL

-Akolouthos

Both Protestants and Catholics in different countries have now and then taken away indigenous peoples children just to raise them as Christians and to "civilize" them.

Yes, I was drawing a historical generalization -- a valid one, I think. Incidentally, would you believe that the practice of taking children from their parents as a means of eultural domination predates Christianity? Wink

-Akolouthos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>