Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why didn't the Ottomans convert people?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why didn't the Ottomans convert people?
    Posted: 25-May-2008 at 21:32
Everyone, the original topic of the thread was on whether or not the Ottomans converted people in the context of their early modern era empire.  Please return to that topic.  If you are going to post sources, make sure they pertain to points you are making (on topic) and that you sufficiently comment on them yourself.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 25-May-2008 at 21:33
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 01:35
Eagle Cap#s article has nothing to do with the post, I think it should be a new topic or removed from this post.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 03:42
Originally posted by Parnell

What do you mean by that?

My friend eaglecap is notorious for indulging in right wing islamophobia influenced media.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 05:00
Originally posted by Bulldog

Eagle Cap#s article has nothing to do with the post, I think it should be a new topic or removed from this post.

All the participants in this thread can do their parts and return to the original topic as I suggested above.  Please do this for now and there should be no problem.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 06:15
Here is the english translation of the oath of Mehmet II to Bosnian Christians dated to 1463.

Ahdnama Of The Sultan Mehmet II El Fatih

Mehmet The Son Of Murat Khan, Always Victorious!
The command of the honorable, sublime sultan's sign and shining seal of the conqueror of the world is as follows:

I, The Sultan Mehmet - Khan inform all the world that the ones who possess this imperial edict, the Bosnian Franciscans, have got into my good graces, so I command:

Let nobody bother or disturb those who are mentioned, not their churches. Let them dwell in peace in my empire. And let those who have become refugees be and safe. Let them return and let them settle down their monasteries without fear in all the countries of my empire.

Neither my royal highness, nor my viziers or employees, nor my servants, nor any of the citizens of my empire shall insult or disturb them. Let nobody attack insult or endanger neither their life or their property or the property of their church. Even if they bring somebody from abroad into my country, they are allowed to do so.

As, thus, I have graciously issued this imperial edict, hereby take my great oath.

In the name of the creator of the earth and heaven, the one who feeds all creatures, and in the name of the seven Mustafas and our great messenger, and in the name of the sword I put, nobody shall do contrary to what has been written, as long as they are obedient and faithful to my command.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by es_bih

What do you mean by that?

My friend eaglecap is notorious for indulging in right wing islamophobia influenced media.

you mean Islamorealism- look at current events.
I would add that the globalist elite are probably the biggest threat to the world and not Islam and that would make a great thread. I will honor the request and remove the post I did since the focus is the Ottomans. Spero Vyronis covers this in detail and yes I am a right winger. Ottomans it is!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 19:27
Originally posted by Bulldog

Bulldog - out of respect for you I deleted it and will keep with the Ottomans. It is true that most Christians were not forced but life under Islamic rule for no Muslims was not good and eventually producded the Greek revolutions and freedom for other Balkan people. This does not mean there were not some forced conversions. I brought up the Roman Catholic Church only to point out that Islam is not the only religion to do this but this does not make me a Catholic hater.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 23:40
If it was that terrible it would have produced this in the actual early days not in the late days when the Empire was disintegrating and Nationalism was taking root in the Balkans and rest of the world. The fact is that there were plenty of Christians - noblemen - fighting with the Ottomans and partaking in the aristoracy. Thus it was not that bad for such individuals would rather have focused their energies at ousting the Ottomans. They were not an oddity in 15th or 16th ct politics. Except in the West where a sort of Catholic hegemony had been rooted for several centuries at that point. Anyway you seem to choose sources that have something to gain from misinterpreting facts rather than a neutral source on the subjcet. Reading Finkel's book on the Ottomans I did not get that notion; nor from some primay sources I read a while back from Westerners visiting the court and noticing the actual diversity and merit based system, etc...

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 02:24
honestly, chill with the censorship. There is no need to 'enforce' how a discussion should occur on a thread.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 02:32

honestly, chill with the censorship. There is no need to 'enforce' how a discussion should occur on a thread.

I am assuming you are talking about my suggestion from above?  When it deviates too far from the original topic and encourages flame wars, it is necessary.  Also, how is that censorship?  The Mods did not remove the off-topic article; Eaglecap did out of his own free will. 

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 16:23
Ah, sorry for that then.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 20:22
Byazntium; its Internal History and Relations with the Muslim world by Spero Vyronis covers this in good detail in his chapters:

"The 'Conditions and cultural significance of the Ottoman Conquest in the Balkans"

"Seljuk and Ottoman Deshirmes."

"Isadore Glabas and the Turkish Devirme."

I am reading this now so I will add comments later but this is a touchy subject for those of us with Greek/Balkan heritage. I know there were periods in which the Muslim Turks and Christians got along beautifully and in some cases the Muslims prayed to Orthodox saints for healing. But, along came the most extreme religious people and suddenly things would go ill for the Christians for a period of time- like a cycle. I believe this was the case throughout much of Ottoman history and the Christian and Muslim peasants lived peacefully until some fanatic would come along and say you are not a true believe if you are friends with the Christian infidel.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:58
One example of forced conversion by the Ottomans
The Devshirme or the system of taking a male child, forcing conversion and using them in Adminstrative duties or as a jannisary warrior was found only amongst the Ottoman Turks. Spero Vyronis states that it was not accepted amongst many non Turkish Muslims- especially forced conversion as a child. I will put his quote in later. Vyronis does demonstrate that a system similar to the Devshirme began with the Seljuk Turks.

Some cities were exempt from this horrible human tax usually because they surrendered their city or community to the Ottoman Turks. Some Christians embraced it as a way for their children to move up the social ladder but Vyronis seems to indicate that most resented it. Some even wrote to the west for support, sent their children to a sanctuary city or even across the border to Christian lands. Some even revolted with bad consequences.

Edited by eaglecap - 02-Jun-2008 at 22:08
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2008 at 00:07

Sorry about causing a contraversy guys Embarrassed and thanks Eaglecap.

Regarding the Seljuks, I'm not familiar with them having a Devsirme policy?

Also don't forget that the Greek aristocracy had quite a privaledged existance and had religous freedoms with their patriach in the capital.

The poor Greeks like their muslim counterparts didn't have as many rights.

There was more a class division, the working class Greeks and Turks mainly uneducated peoples had more of a folk religion in which customs crossed over, it was possible to find Turks praying to Greek saints and Greeks praying at Turkish shrines and saints, there were also wandering dervishes preaching that the two religions were really similar and so forth.

The wealthy Greek families didn't have to give families to Devshirme, although poor Turkish families wanted their kids to be sent there.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 22:13
No? The points of conflicts were Papist vs mahomedan vs Orthodox etc. The Bulgarians and Romanians and the Serbs and the Greeks didn't really hate each other. Romanians helped the Serbs for example in 1389 for example and they liberated several cities south of the Danube during some of the years.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 22:15
Maybe not forced directly but made some people an offer they couldn't refuse.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 22:53
That initself is not forced though. And for some reason people find it hard to believe that a lo of people may just be converting for the sake of converting as in actually liking the theology and the religion. That also did happen. I find it too cynical to think that everyone who ever converted to Islam or Christianity for that matter too just did it out of some economical gain.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 23:45
I think a lot of people in the Roman Empire converted to Christianity as a fad, and I say this as an Orthodox Christian myself. That doesn't befall any judgement on me or my faith. Likewise with Islam in the Balkans. Many people simply converted because it was easier to live that way. I'm sure some people coverted because they liked the faith, but generally when someone attacks you and takes you over most people don't generally just convert simply out of human nature. The Serbs in Bosnia (Because Bosnians are Serbs) converted to Islam I think in large part for several reasons. One of which was that many people in the Bosnia region were bogomils. The other part is that that region fell to the Turks before Serbia proper did officially. And i'm sure it was easier to convert and not to deal with the sentiments that a minority usually finds in an Empire during those times. Alot of the Muslims of Bosnia up until the last 60 or so years even called themselves Turks proudly. More recently it was a minority movement let by people such as Alija Izetbegovic but we won't get into that here. Look forward to a discussion about that later.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 01:56
First of all Bosnians are not Serbs. Second of all there were almost barely any Orthodox Christians within Bosnia proper, there were Orthodox Christians within Herzegovina at the time. Orthodox Christians were moved into Bosnia proper only after the Ottoman conquest of Bosnia as a milita in the north. Most of those were Vlachs not Serbs, other Slavic Orthodox were moved in too throughout time. Just a question where did you get this fallacious conclusion that Bosnians are Serbs? The mainland was Catholic - and Krstjani - a breakaway Christian sect influenced both by bogomils and Catholicism. Thus in a long shot you could say they were Croats, but that would be too something fallacious. To actually summarize the Slavic incursions into Serbs and Croats is oversimplifying a migration that took two or more centuries and happened in hundreds of waves. From a few families to larger groupings. As far as your claims that Bosnians called themselves Turks - that too is fallacious. Sevdah - or sevdalinke - the local folk music popular throughout Yugoslavia - and in origin attributed to Bosnians and about Bosnia in general would prove you wrong. That is a primary source as those songs were written in the period and are reflections of state of affairs often. Usually the ones that are attributed to events such as the wars in the region - where Bosnian men were conscripted - those songs affirm a strong Bosnian identity. Aside from that there was a Bosnian dictionary compiled in the 17th century. Furthermore, a set of Bosnian writers who wrote in Turkish and Persian and their native Bosnian affirm a longing for that place, but also their identity.
What is true is that there was a blending of Turkish culture and genetics with Bosnians counterexamples to provide you with the modern day "Bosnia" culture and peoples. I have Turkish heritage in the fact that parts of my family moved to Bosnia from Turkey and were Turkish. However, Bosniaks as a whole share a common culture with Turkey, but to denote them all calling themselves Turks is asinine.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 01:58
PS - Alija Izetbegovic had no such movement of Turkification. Rather reafirmation of Bosnian identity.

I am not a fan of his thus you can take that as a neutral statement.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>