Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most sucsesfull empire in world history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: What do you think is the most sucsessfull empire in history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
6 [12.77%]
1 [2.13%]
15 [31.91%]
6 [12.77%]
4 [8.51%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
6 [12.77%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.26%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most sucsesfull empire in world history
    Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 03:53
Originally posted by Penelope

Originally posted by Knights

Exactly, though it can be a sign of success, sheer size is not all that culminates to make a "successful empire". There are many, many other aspects we need to examine to determine successful empires. Regardless, the Achaemenid Empire's size is a testament to the initial success of its leaders, paving the way for a prosperous and powerful dynasty.

EDIT: Penelope, Alexander's empire wasn't larger than the Achaemenid one under Darius I. But you mentioned it being larger than when under Cyrus - is this the case? I'm always on the look out for a map showing the extent of Cyrus's empire. Smile Thanks.

Yes, the empire under Darius The Great was much larger, expanding northward into the Caucasus mountains, encompassing both Thrace and Macedon, Armenia, Egypt, and northern Libya. The Black Sea nearly became a Persian "lake" under his reign as well. Now as for Cyrus and Alexander..Cyrus' empire lacked Thrace, Macedon, Greece, Egypt, and Pakistan, yet it encompassed Armenia. Where as Alexander's empire encompassed Macedon, Greece, Thrace, Egypt, as well as Pakistan, but lacked Armenia. I think that we should start a new thread on the matter, so as to not ruin this one by going off topic. lol

Cyrus' Empire did have a significant portion of Pakistan, all the way to the Indus River.
What is the officer problem?
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 04:10

Exactly, though it can be a sign of success, sheer size is not all that culminates to make a "successful empire". There are many, many other aspects we need to examine to determine successful empires. Regardless, the Achaemenid Empire's size is a testament to the initial success of its leaders, paving the way for a prosperous and powerful dynasty.

EDIT: Penelope, Alexander's empire wasn't larger than the Achaemenid one under Darius I. But you mentioned it being larger than when under Cyrus - is this the case? I'm always on the look out for a map showing the extent of Cyrus's empire. Smile Thanks.

Yes, the empire under Darius The Great was much larger, expanding northward into the Caucasus mountains, encompassing both Thrace and Macedon, Armenia, Egypt, and northern Libya. The Black Sea nearly became a Persian "lake" under his reign as well. Now as for Cyrus and Alexander..Cyrus' empire lacked Thrace, Macedon, Greece, Egypt, and Pakistan, yet it encompassed Armenia. Where as Alexander's empire encompassed Macedon, Greece, Thrace, Egypt, as well as Pakistan, but lacked Armenia. I think that we should start a new thread on the matter, so as to not ruin this one by going off topic. lol

I do not agree with the "Black Sea nearly became a Persian "Lake" statement.

The%20Achaemenid%20Empire%20under%20Darius%20I

-Looks to me like the Black Sea's coast is only about 1/2 on Persian soil. Wink
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 04:27
I would say the most successful empires were the ones who left an affect on the region today. Having said that the Portuguese, Spanish and British empires were the most successful. After that one I would say the Ottoman Empire. And after that I'd say Roman Empire, though I might even put Roman empire up there with the Portuguese, Spanish and British, just because that is where Europe really started and to a certain extent the roman catholic world of today could be seen as a successor to the Roman Empire, which still exists today. :P
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 06:37
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

It nearly became a Persian "lake", only becuase Darius had envisioned it, but he ended up abandoning the supposed campaign. Also, i urge you to be carefull when dealing with most "historical" maps, since they tend to be very inaccurate.

Edited by Penelope - 07-Nov-2007 at 06:43
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 14:36

-Some more Achaemenid Persian maps

I think you are talking about the Scythian campaign . . . please elaborate.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 18:12

-Some more Achaemenid Persian maps

I think you are talking about the Scythian campaign . . . please elaborate.
As i suggested earlier to Knights, i think that it would be best to start a new thread, so as not to continue to ruin this one by going off topic.
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 21:22

It nearly became a Persian "lake", only becuase Darius had envisioned it, but he ended up abandoning the supposed campaign. Also, i urge you to be carefull when dealing with most "historical" maps, since they tend to be very inaccurate.

...I guess YOUR statement was not off topic. Not that I have good memory but I think you protested against the Achaemenid Empire and the title of "Most succesfull empire in world history". But again, I might be incorrect.

That map was taken off Wikipedia.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 07-Nov-2007 at 21:25
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 13:15
The Roman army had discipline and could usually defeat if not have higher kill ratios thean enemies that outnumbered them. The Romans failed because of The aristocracy and Christianity- which led to many Romans to not care about their empire and future, but more of themselves and whether or not they would be saved or forsaken.

Edited by Sun Tzu - 08-Nov-2007 at 13:17
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 13:49
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

The Roman army had discipline and could usually defeat if not have higher kill ratios thean enemies that outnumbered them.

In the battles of Carrhae and Cannae the enemies of the Romans were outnumbered and the Romans were defeated 
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 18:25

...I guess YOUR statement was not off topic. Not that I have good memory but I think you protested against the Achaemenid Empire and the title of "Most succesfull empire in world history". But again, I might be incorrect.

You are incorrect, becuase i in fact, protested FOR the Achaemenid Empire when i stated that it was definately a successful empire. I suggest you read peoples statements thoroughly before you type something. And yes, "wicked" pedia, is known for having "wicked" maps.Wink
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 23:31

You are incorrect, becuase i in fact, protested FOR the Achaemenid Empire when i stated that it was definately a successful empire. I suggest you read peoples statements thoroughly before you type something. And yes, "wicked" pedia, is known for having "wicked" maps.Wink

Whatever the case, that statement was completly irrelevent. I never said I relied on the map either, nor did I state if I use wikipedia or not. I guess in a way you need to read what I have posted also.

Kind regards,

Darius
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 23:55

Whatever the case, that statement was completly irrelevent. I never said I relied on the map either, nor did I state if I use wikipedia or not. I guess in a way you need to read what I have posted also.

Kind regards,

Darius

Good deal. My regards also.Smile
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 10:41
I would say the most succesful empires were the ones that brought the most prosperity to the most people. For that, it would be a toss-up between the British Empire and the Roman Empire.

I'd venture a couple of other unusual contenders too. Soviet Union for one. It didn't last long, and it didn't by any means raise the standard of living among its people to parity with its peers. But ... one has to consider the nature of its territories and the level of wealth and advancement in some of those territories when it was founded. Vast swaths of its Western territories had not changed much since the Middle Ages. Portions of its most remote northern and eastern territories hadn't changed much since the Iron Age! The USSR brought the modern world to these places, airports, highways, telephones, schools, and so on. This was an incredible achievement considering the starting point.

My other unusual contender would be the PRC, during and since Deng Xiaoping. He took a country that had been through more than a century of unbelievable hardship and humiliation, and made it a contendor on the world scene - possibly even laid the foundation for a nation to rise from the bottom right to the top. Time will tell.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 12:00
Not that I was going to vote for it, but where is Ottoman Empire? I protest this poll.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 12:06
The poll is really meaningless as such. 'Successful' was never given any measures by the proposer against which any Empire can be measured.
i.e. what in this context is the meaning of successful ?
Deano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 01:20
Originally posted by Peteratwar

The poll is really meaningless as such. 'Successful' was never given any measures by the proposer against which any Empire can be measured.
i.e. what in this context is the meaning of successful ?

I dont know google it!
I AM FARTAKUS!
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 09:24

Surprised more haven't mentioned China.  The empire is over 2000 years old and still expanding.

While there have been numerous civil wars and invasions over that period, what empire hasn't had these and China has always bounced back stronger than before.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 12:12
Originally posted by Patch

Surprised more haven't mentioned China.  The empire is over 2000 years old and still expanding.

While there have been numerous civil wars and invasions over that period, what empire hasn't had these and China has always bounced back stronger than before.

yes but there has been many different empires over the time
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 12:26
Yeap. It is the same case that saying that the Egypt of today exists since 7.000 years ago because there is continuity of people living in that land. Nonsense
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 04:28
The Roman Empire is over rated. Eurocentrism gets on my nerves so much.
Karadenizli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>