Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Countdown to Iran attack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Countdown to Iran attack
    Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 04:41
Originally posted by Zagros

A coup by whom?  The military? Forget it, the gaurds' primary purpose is to thwart such a thing. 

Musharaff bolstering his position by invading Iranian baluchistan? Please elaborate.  How would this be achieved?

Militarily speaking (and only militarily) we have 3 corps (I, II and XII) available if Musharraf wants to take such an action, while the Iranians have only a brigade on the Eastern Frontier, in addition the all these corps are "heavy", so the capability is there.  Politically of course, its out of the question.

As for Waziristan, well he has pretty much got it where he wants, the militants are hiding in the mountains.

Edited by Sparten - 23-Sep-2007 at 04:46
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 06:44
I cannot think of major military operations between the pakistan region and Iran region through Baluchistan ever. I think Alexander the Great was the last big troop movement.
The subcontinent and Iran have only gone to war in Afghanistan.

Basically I am wondering what the americans are smoking if they think attacking Iran is a good idea. There is a very good chance in my books that the US will come off 2nd best.
They will be facing a front from Mosul to Jalalabad, Irans forces won't disintegrate like Iraqs did. The whole persian gulf will be closed to civilian shipping. The US will piss off every oil importing country, and the rest of the oil exporting countries will probably see fit to profiteer.

Most probably the end result will be the reunification of Iraq and Iran, possibly with parts of Afghanistan as well, and a shattered US economy and probably military.
How are they supposed to withdraw from Iraq with Iran able to fire missiles across the middle east?
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 08:18
It looks like this one is going down to brinksmanship after all.
Unify All Countries!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 10:12
I don't doubt the ability of the US armed forces to destroy the Iranian militrary. If I was in Tehran as a planner, I would concentrate on closing the Hormuz, that would have far greater strategic impact than destroying a few tanks or shooting down a few aircraft.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 12:52
But that's because you don't really know anything about the Iranian doctrine or order of battle.  Serbia saw one of the most intensive bombing campaigns against its territory at the close of last century, yet all they lost were a few aircraft and about 30 vehicles, so the americans bombed civilian trains, TV stations and foreign embassies instead.  I think a US IRanian war would be a larger scale rerun of Israel vs Hezbollah.  Tito had a lot of forsight in building all of those underground bunkers...  Iran's are not just under the ground, they're inside mountains as well and all over the country. 

I think Iran's large naval assets would get destroyed without much problem, a sizeable portion of the airforce, since Iran knows it is at a significant disadvantage here it will stow its air assets in unknown and numerous underground facilities.  Land assets would pretty much be left unscathed on the scale of things.

Edited by Zagros - 23-Sep-2007 at 13:06
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 13:02
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I cannot think of major military operations between the pakistan region and Iran region through Baluchistan ever. I think Alexander the Great was the last big troop movement.
The subcontinent and Iran have only gone to war in Afghanistan.

Basically I am wondering what the americans are smoking if they think attacking Iran is a good idea. There is a very good chance in my books that the US will come off 2nd best.
They will be facing a front from Mosul to Jalalabad, Irans forces won't disintegrate like Iraqs did. The whole persian gulf will be closed to civilian shipping. The US will piss off every oil importing country, and the rest of the oil exporting countries will probably see fit to profiteer.

Most probably the end result will be the reunification of Iraq and Iran, possibly with parts of Afghanistan as well, and a shattered US economy and probably military.
How are they supposed to withdraw from Iraq with Iran able to fire missiles across the middle east?

I think that's going too far in the other direction.  You can't just annex land these days and the last thing Iran needs is Afghani territory.   As for Iraq, I really think they (Shias) want to be as much a part of Iran as they like being under American occupation.  A solid alliance? yes, that will happen either way, but a reunification?  uh uh.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 14:10
US urged to free Iranian 'guest'

Mr Talabani said he was "dismayed" by the arrest by US troops
Iraqi President Jalal Talabani has called for the immediate release of an Iranian official detained by US forces in the semi-autonomous Kurdish north.
Mr Talabani said the US had humiliated the Kurdish authorities by ignoring their laws and failing to consult them.

US officials said the man belonged to Iran's Revolutionary Guards and that he was involved in smuggling explosives.

Both the Iraqi Kurds and Tehran insist the man was an Iranian trade official in Iraq on the invitation of the Kurds.

US-led forces seized the man in a hotel in the Kurdish city of Sulaimaniya on Thursday.

I want to express to you our dismay over the arrest by American forces of this official civilian Iranian guest

President Talabani

In a angry statement, Mr Talabani - who is himself a Kurd - said the arrest was made without the knowledge or co-operation of the Kurdish regional government.

"This amounts to an insult and a violation of its rights and authority," said the statement, quoting from a letter Mr Talabani had sent the top US commander in Iraq Gen David Petraeus and US Ambassador Ryan Crocker on the day of the arrest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7008610.stm
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-09-22-voa26.cfm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First BlackWater is reinstated. Now they decide to pick up anyone they want.

Iraq is no soverign nation. Its a vassal of the American Empire.
Mughal e Azam
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 15:30

Hello to you all

It seems that Sparten is more confident in the US Army than some of the retired generals thmselves.
If Americans think they can topple a regime where 30 million of its citizens showed their support for the regime by voting then they need to check n their mental health. Yes, the regime is not popular with a large segment of the Iranian people but one thing that the American neo-cons is the zealous patriotism of Iranians. Despite some discrimination that existed against the Arabs of Khuzestan and their provice being and still is one of the poorest in Iran desite it has most of Irans oil, they were the first to rise against Saddam in 1980. Over 90% of the population regardless of political affiliation support a peaceful nuclear program and it was during the Shah that Iran persued a military nuclear program. 
The infuence of Iran in Iraq is so huge that in my opinion, based on accounts of aquantances in Iraq, is totally underestimated. One account says that Iran has set up intelligence bases their that are so big that some have their own detention facilities. The other day in saw in Time Magazine the body of an Iraqi pilot during the 80-88 war with the message "this is what happens to the one who dares to bomb Kharag Island" and over 500 pilots thus lost their lives until now and nobody need to figure out who was responsible. And finally, remember those four American soldiers who were kidnapped after an Iranian council was arrested and their bodies found in a ditch near Karbala. The coolly entered the base, kidnapped the soldiers and the Americans got the message releasing the council. The Badr traitors numbering over 20000 trained men fought with Iran against their own country back in the 80-88 war and once a traitor always a traitor. They will join Iran and open an entire front behind the Americans which will make the current insurgency a blessing.

Finally, Iran has a weapon that is far more potent than any the Americans have, except nuclear weapons, and that is suicide bombs.  Having hundreds of useless planes, If they launch intense Kamikazi attacks on American carriers in the deep Arabian sea and succeed in striking them, the Americans won't just lose the 200 or so fighters on those carriers, They will lose 20 000 men dead in only hours and imagine the response.
As for economic problems of this war, the fragile American economy will suffer from sever and crippling inflation coupled with a general recession. The oil prices could shoot as high as 120 dollars and the already hard pressed monetary system will suffer a blow. The Amercan economy will not collaps but things will get pretty rough.
As for the performance of the Iranian forces well the summer war between Israel and Hizbollah is a microversion of the coming war since Iran will begin to attack Iraq not the other way around. Israel lost over 30 tanks and over a 100 soldiers.
War is coming there should be no doubt about it. The question is when. My guess is either in Nov or Dec. Conventional wisdom says a major war happens every 100 years or so in the region. it happened early in the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries and the reason is that the old political order has reached its limit and change was necessary. The region is filled with historcal an geopolitical error,s like Israel, the Kurdish problem, the water resources problem, the situation in the caucasus etc. and a new order is desperatly needed. Only a major war unfortunatly is the way to do that and my guess is that this is the war.

Al-Jassas ibn Murrah

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 18:24
Although, I feel, that your assessment does not have its head lost in the clouds, like some others, I still think you exaggerate Iran's power.

The Badr traitors numbering over 20000 trained men fought with Iran against their own country back in the 80-88 war and once a traitor always a traitor. They will join Iran and open an entire front behind the Americans which will make the current insurgency a blessing.

With this statement you are merging Saddam's regime with America (which when you come to think of it, is not that far out ). Badr are as much traitors as the French Resistance were - America installed Saddam's fascist, racist dictatorship and America destroyed it (Nazi Germany: Vichy France).  Are you saying that if America fights Iran and Badr side with Iran then they are traitors?  America is occupying their country and has overseen the direct and indirect murder of up to and over a million of their countrymen <--- 21st century holocaust and that is not to include the toll they suffered during the imposed war which, yes you guessed it, America, Saudi and other Arab brothers instigated by pulling their semi-controlled puppet, Saddam's, strings (how much did Saudi, UAE et all pay him to invade?).  Indeed, Badr would be doing their nation a great and glorious service in aiding Iran in any future conflict. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 20:01
Iran Army ORBAT

A 10 Div army, based on Sov doctrine, emphaises teeth over tail, and shock attack. The main shortcoming of Sov based armies are their lack of long term fighting capabilities, main advantage being that they are more potent in the short run.

This faced against the US and up to six divisions, (and a US division is about 3 times the size of a Sov one), well they have problems.

As I said, Iran would be better off closing the Hormuz, fighting the US and giving the odd formation a bloody nose, may be more emotionally satisfying, but the closure of the straits would have a great strategic impact.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 22:28

Hello to you all

Comparing French resistance with Badr brigade is an isult to the former. The members of Badr volunteered to fight against their own country for pure ideological and sectarian reasons despite that the regime at that moment has not changed it skin and was not sectarian. They treated Iraqi POWs, especially Shia ones, far worse than the Iranians did especially in the Kermanshah camps. The french resistance on the other hand attacked only German interests and refused to accept the surrender that the vichy government, which was largely a Nazi puppet.

As for the point made out by Sparten, well here is the problem. What does America really want from Iran. Does it want regime change, this can come only if the entire country was occupied by them and even with half a million soldies that is doubtful. There are 70 million Iranians living over 1 million sq Km and Iran has half a million soldiers and millions of reserve. Tehran is 1000 km away from any point of invasion and in any case American will have an uphill battle to cross the Zagros range. Does it want to end the nuclear program, well, even inthat case Iran must compensate for such a loss and this might come either from Iraq or even Azerbaijan where the Shia majority government their might take aggressive action towards Iran prompting the latter to invade that country not to mention taking revenge against the Americans in any way possible which will turn the war into a regional conflict. 
Finally in regards to the military aspect, well, the Iranians have many advantages that will ake do more than a bloody nose. The borders with Iraq is over 800 km and not protected and Iran can launch a double or triple flank invasion and dissipate any advantage the Americans have. Also, it is the size of the attack helicopter squadrons that will determine if the Americans will succeed. Iran has numerous attack helicopters including the terrible Mi-9. If you remember, Saddam effectively used them in the camaign of 88 against Iran in Al-Fao as well as against the rebels in the march uprising, he crushed the uprising in less than 2 weeks depite that they controlled 80% of Iraq. Americans used Apache waves to soften resistance and destroy what was left of the Iraqi Army in the Last war. Iran with its state of the art anti-tank weapon systems, provided by Russia which wants to see how effective they are against the americas, will pry on the armoured division and if played right and with good military command they might even win such battles. Finally, the suicide factor must not be taken out, even if Iran failed to attack carriers there are still plenty of targets good for Kamikazi attack and we all know how pathetic american SAM systems are compared with those of Russia.

Al-Jassas
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 04:50

What's your source Sparten?  Because even according to the latest info (1998) available on the internet, you're out.

You didn't take IRGC into account.

Nor the Basij.

But in any case: the Iranians are explicitly aware of the American's technical advantages and, like I have said have geared themselves up for a potential confrontation since Kuwait in 1991, something which takes into account these advantages and would not see Iran's assets nicely organised into columns for American target practice.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 05:01
Al-Jassas, how many pilots do you think iran has that are 1. marked for kamikaze attacks and 2. actually willing to do a suicide attack? Pilots are well educated people and are not stupid enough to fly their planes into ships.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 06:08
also the US SAM defenses aren't pathetic, if anything they will be more of danger to their own aircraft.

Iran's strength is in its geography and the conviction of its personal. It is not on a level of technology, despite what Tehran tells it own people, which is just to reassure them. They will not fight the US in a conventional way, they are to smart for taking on the US where they are weakest. Asymmetrical attacks is what we can expect. So in saying that, i don't think we cant really guess what they will do until it all starts. Nothing is more unpredictable and hard to defeat than a well motivated and lead force that uses its brains to find advantages and exploit relative strengths and weakness.

Edited by Leonidas - 24-Sep-2007 at 06:20
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 21:38

Hello to you all

First of all Zagros of course an Iranian pilot that the country spent millions to train will not be sacrificed on the altar of Mars for possible not certain gains, but I bet you there are tens of thousands of Martyr wannabe's who will and only need to be trained on how to fly an airplane and aim it not do complex maneuvours. Remember, most Kamikazi pilots and torpedoes used specially designed vessles and were mostly of Samurai or otherwise army personnel not trained pilots. as for flying planes into ships I would put the scheme above at the top of my priorities if I were an Iranian commander. The amount of losses as well as the horrendous death toll which could result will be a severe blow to the enemy moral as well as a masterful blow in strategic terms since not only the enemy will lose much of it domination but also will give much needed advantage in the sea as well as giving time for other military operations.

Also dea Leonidas, you really do not know the slightest thing about the regime in Tehran. Well, remeber that Saddam supported by much of the international community and the huge chaos that was gripping Iran in 1980 and he barely won the war, the later phase of it that is. Iran when this war happn will behave like Samson. It will look for the biggest pillar and will bring the entire temple down on everybodys head. One thing you must be shore of is that Iran WILL not stop until it gave a powerful response and more than a bloody nose. It will not invade Iraq immedeatly but it will make the life of americans there hell. If the US tries to invade which is a great possibility, they might intiate an invasion and things will just flare up.
By the way the helicopter I was referring to is Mil Mi-8, Mi-14 and Mi-24 all in service in Iran.
Al-Jassas

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 10:04
I think suicide jets are a ridiculous notion, not least due to their expense but especially since Iran has a  sophisticated drone (UAV) programme for that kind of anti ship operation.

Pehpad.

This is the latest model which is reportedly stealthy and travels at 500mph, remote controlled.  The picture is from a few days ago.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 11:41
Originally posted by Zagros

I think suicide jets are a ridiculous notion, not least due to their expense but especially since Iran has a  sophisticated drone (UAV) programme for that kind of anti ship operation.

Pehpad.

This is the latest model which is reportedly stealthy and travels at 500mph, remote controlled.  The picture is from a few days ago.

Zagros thats a picture of an Israeli drone/UAV known as a Harpy.

I posted on it in the Turkish militray thread here

Edited by Leonidas - 25-Sep-2007 at 11:48
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 12:08

My mistake, the article I read was using that as an example of a drone rather than saying it was the Iranian drone, I assumed that it was.

This isn't the new model, but it seems to be something similar:
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 12:23
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Also dea Leonidas, you really do not know the slightest thing about the regime in Tehran. Well, remeber that Saddam supported by much of the international community and the huge chaos that was gripping Iran in 1980 and he barely won the war, the later phase of it that is. Iran when this war happn will behave like Samson. It will look for the biggest pillar and will bring the entire temple down on everybodys head. One thing you must be shore of is that Iran WILL not stop until it gave a powerful response and more than a bloody nose. It will not invade Iraq immedeatly but it will make the life of americans there hell. If the US tries to invade which is a great possibility, they might intiate an invasion and things will just flare up.
I would imagine their response will be as big as they can throw, expect them to try and pull in Israel and launch punitive counter strikes to the region. But the way they will do this is not through suicide planes or flying boats for that matter. They're not as stupid or as 'fanatical' as that. The fanatics are on the ground, attacking invaders and hitting the US behind their lines in Iraq or Kuwait or even Bahrain.

Comparing this scenario with the war against Saddam is inaccurate. BTW Iraq (Saddam) played a big part in their own loss and to make the comparison you would have to guess that the US would do what saddam did.

Irans use of their air force against Iraq was different then; Iran was better armed and trained at the start of that war. Now we are talking about a old fleet against a vastly superior force. Even if they can re-engineer, re-manufacture and improve 1960/70's planes and have good pilots, this is just not enough to challenge the USA in the air.

Originally posted by Al Jassas

By the way the helicopter I was referring to is Mil Mi-8, Mi-14 and Mi-24 all in service in Iran.
meh they wont be flying anything if they cant secure the airspace. expect these to be grounded and hidden.

Edited by Leonidas - 25-Sep-2007 at 12:26
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 13:16

Iran was better trained and armed at the start of the war? That's not the account of men on the ground at the time and the fact that most capable commanders and pilots were either locked up, in exile or dead.

There is a very good reason why the US invests so much in psychological warfare because without defeating the enemy's morale/fighting spirit  you have little chance of winning a war on his soil no matter how much the technical odds are in your favour.  Shock and Awe = the American version of the Nazi Blitkrieg propaganda.

If Iran didn't use "suicide tactics" at its most desperate time at the beginning of the 80s then it will not do so now, it scarcely needs to - did you hear of Hezbollah or Shia militias in Iraq  using such tactics? No, these tactics are reserved for those without any hope or any other means or just plain lunatics like Wahhabis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>