Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pakistani Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pakistani Identity
    Posted: 26-May-2007 at 00:10
I don't think being alone makes me wrong necessarily does it? If everyone beleived 2+2=7 and I didn't so what?

Okay so guess what I'm moderator too-on Pakhub.I have chased out a quite a few Islamists out of there by deleting their racist comments.But the fact is being a moderator on a forum doesn't mean you can be free of mistakes or lack of knowledge on a subject.Like I lack knowledge in many things.

But bottom line let' not pull out the moderator or administrator card.You just might end up pulling it out on the wrong person who himself is a mod or admin.So let's not get into "I know it cause I'm this..." whn the person you're telling it to might be just the same thing.

I mean Muhajirs say "Jinnah was indian" Quadeer khan:Indian."  At the same time they claim to be Pakistanis when they've looted and destroyed the country.

And no Pakistanis don't have "al" in their last names.Only Arabs do.And specificly Arabian Gulf Arabs not even Medditerenan Arabs have "al" usually in their names.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 06:21
Originally posted by Distel

I think I caught you off guard.I definately did NOT mention the INDUS RIVER I stated the indus stretched till Turkmenistan.
But when you realised I caught you off guard and you didn't know that you then pretended I reffered to the river indus.I certainly did not mention the river nor the civilization.But you then sought an excuse to hide the fact you were caught not knowing that so you decided to pretend I was reffering to the river which you knew I was not since we've been discussing the civilization and NOT the river the whole time.

Confused
caught of guard?

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The Indus is a river, it doesn't have coloneys. If you were talking about the Indus valley civilisation then make it clear.

in response to

Bad geography? Say did you even know the indus had colonies going all the way to Turkmenistan? You didn't know that did you? And now you come here to claim the indus for india when you don't even know the limits of it's (the indus) colonies.

'the Indus' is a river. if your talking about a Indus civilization, then specify it, and while your at it which one (harrapan, kushun etc)......duhErmm

After all the histories of all these countries are not recorded from modern days but from ancient times.Persian history is given for Iran.
Ancient Rome is given for Italy.
Roman is Roman and it would be unfair to say it is simply Italian ( a modern identity). Much like your own Pakistani identity which is also quite modern as opposed to ancient everything before might not fit under that particular label, but its a part of your history anyway.

I do not believe you are Pakistani.Sounds like a Muhajir to me.And never heard of a South Asian Muslim with an Arabic name.

I mean Muhajirs say "Jinnah was indian" Quadeer khan:Indian."  At the same time they claim to be Pakistanis when they've looted and destroyed the country.
  Your president is an Indian?Shocked

Omar background has nothing to do with his opinion. No matter what he is, his opinion counts, as does every other member. I was labeled a Muslim by an Indian member, for what? being objective. Now grow up and read below carefully.

(this is an offical warning) your breaking the rules of the forum for bigoted remarks on a particular ethnic group. I will quote and link the rules for your benefit, there is nothing in there that is unreasonable, it is here to make everyone feel welcome including you. Want respect, then show it.

6. Nationalism, derogatory remarks to national or ethnic groups, jingoism, bigotry, racism, political propaganda. (see appendix below)

8. Negative attitude; tone of confrontation, annoyance, or contempt; disrespectful toward other members.

Appendix

Definition of unacceptable nationalistic remarks:

This category of violations has been perhaps the most troublesome to deal with. The definition is that remarks are unacceptable if they have the intention of disparaging, belittling, or insulting another ethnic or national group. Unacceptable remarks can take the form of direct messages disparaging a national group, indirect messages overly promoting one's national group, and/or a more implicit attack, written against a particular political, cultural, or historical aspect of that national group. An acceptable remark is one that is objective and presents facts without a certain element of tone in the message. A criticism merely points out a problem, whereas an insult implies inherent inferiority. In order to make the forum less susceptible to these problems, topics regarding modern politics can only be posted in the "Intellectual discussions" section. Moderators and Administrators reserve the right to delete threads or comments that are controversial.
CoC

Edited by Leonidas - 26-May-2007 at 06:33
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 14:53

First off the use of "Paki nationalists" is a direct insult from Omar.The word is offensive and I don't care who said it.It is clearly a racial slur.

Second I couldn't really care of being banned from a silly forum.I am a mod on Pakhub and I am active on many forums so no sweat.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:42

Pakistan is a political union based on religion. The inevitable shift in power from Muslims of the pre-colonial era to hindus in the post-colonial era meant that the Muslims of the sub continent had to deal with a new set of realities. The options open to pre partition Muslims of British India were two:

1. A political minority in a secular political union.
2. A political majority in a separate Muslim political union.(hence partition)  

For majority Muslim areas No.2 was possible. For minority Muslim areas no.1 was the only plausible course. The post partition map reflects just that. The Pakistani Identity is a result of this zeal. There was however a sizable minority from all faiths sternly against any form of partition.  IVC can not be attributed directly to a particular 'ethnic' group from Pakistan, but it's inheritors are none the less people that have inhabited those lands from time immemorial. These people belong within present day Pakistan and from the Punjabi, Sindhi, Seraiki groups. The only extension would be parts of the Punjab delta that due to partition politics is now placed in India. Another area that was directly influenced by the IVC's was the Western Gujarat. Which may have been initially settled by IVC people via Kutch, much like the Greek settlements around the Mediterranean.

We must not therefore confuse the national identity bourne out of a percieved political necessacity of Indian muslims with the more rooted historical identities, like punjabis, sindhis, etc. The fact
SpartaN117 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:54
Its funny how you go into long explanations about this, and yet without any logic, agree that it should be called Indian.

I have said countless of times before, Pakistan is not being referred to as a Political entity, just like India isnt, when Ancient India is mentioned. I am pretty sure the people of IVC didnt call themselves Indian either.

Pakistan has much more to do with IVC than India, all these wishful theories stating that the people of IVC conveniently settled east of the border annoy me since they have no evidence to support them.

Pakistani history belongs to Pakistanis more than it belongs to Indians. According to your logic, even though my Great Grandparents always lived in the lands of Pakistan, and never called themselves Indian, I have to call them Indian and not Pakistani. While you may argue that calling them Pakistani would me "misleading" (as if calling them Indian wouldnt) but you are also saying that associating them with Pakistan would be totally wrong. So much logic and facts is being presented, yet people here use weird counter logic to disprove this, and then they dont even feel the need to justify labelling everything Indian.

Its already taking action. Pakistan is reclaiming words like Harappa and Indus Valley to be associated with Pakistan. What will Indians do? Fight the natives of the lands of Indus for their Identity and their history? Sorry to say this, but your reasoning is based on national pride. It causes more offence to Pakistanis than it makes sense.

@Omar, every Comment I have read from you has been somewhat anti Pakistan. While you may be a Pakistani, you certainly dont seem like it, so I personally found you using the "paki" expression as offensive.
I would be happy to debate this topic with you, but you have shown that no amount of logic and facts will change your opinion. You are intent on labelling everything Indian, whether it was Indian or was ever even referred to as Indian. I guess you are happy with the fact that Pakistanis were "created" in 1947, and have no distinctive history before this.

And I feel that Distel question was a valid one at that. It was a simple question, and you took offence. It would be equally appropriate for you to get a warning for the "paki" statement.

Edited by SpartaN117 - 27-May-2007 at 11:57

PakHub.Info
Reclaiming Pakistans Identity
Join Us
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 22:03
If it should be  called Pakistani or Indian civilzation, Pakistan has better cards.

Its true that in some cases geography alone does not matter. For example : Al -Andalus was in Spain but still, even Spaniards dont call it a Spanish empire/polity because these people are clearly linked to non Spaniards.

This aint the case with IVC though. Its in Pakistan and and Indians do not seem to have more to do with it than people from Pakistan.

Edited by Sander - 27-May-2007 at 22:31
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 23:00
Thankyou i appluad your last post.
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 23:02
Pakistan is no more political than India (actually it's less articificial as it has lesser cultures than India) or Iran, Afghanistan or the Russian Federation or China or countless other countries on this Earth.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 02:17
@Omar, every Comment I have read from you has been somewhat anti Pakistan. While you may be a Pakistani, you certainly dont seem like it, so I personally found you using the "paki" expression as offensive.
I would be happy to debate this topic with you, but you have shown that no amount of logic and facts will change your opinion. You are intent on labelling everything Indian, whether it was Indian or was ever even referred to as Indian. I guess you are happy with the fact that Pakistanis were "created" in 1947, and have no distinctive history before this.

I have never claimed anything for anyone including and especially india. When you first came here I actually agreed with your argument. All I have tried to do is correct your history. Your not going to win any arguments on a history forum with bad history.
~And I don't even understand why paki is supposed to be offensive
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 08:52
Originally posted by SpartaN117

Pakistani history belongs to Pakistanis more than it belongs to Indians. According to your logic, even though my Great Grandparents always lived in the lands of Pakistan, and never called themselves Indian, I have to call them Indian and not Pakistani.

Italians cant say Rome was Italian, though Italian history is proudly inclusive of almost all of Roman history. Italy cannot claim Rome just for herself as it touched so many other countries. The legacy is regional not country specific. Only fascists like Mousilini will try turn such a inclusive period of history into something exclusive.

All these South Asian civilizations influenced, conquered and traded with each other, lines are not neatly defined into Indian or Pakistani. Is the Greko-Bactrian kingdoms simply Pakistani, or Mughal simply Indian? No, but it is a part of the region's history and the countries created within it. Your borders only split the physical countries, not the history.

Its already taking action. Pakistan is reclaiming words like Harappa and Indus Valley to be associated with Pakistan. What will Indians do? Fight the natives of the lands of Indus for their Identity and their history? Sorry to say this, but your reasoning is based on national pride. It causes more offence to Pakistanis than it makes sense.
well the hindu's that left that area and shared that same history, have the same rights as those that stayed. No one has more rights over a history that was shared in the first place. It is never as black and white as you would like

Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 11:37
@Leonidas

I didnt deny the shared history but here we go again, you are happy with it staying as "Indian". No compromise on your part.
You have to understand that these kingdoms didnt call themselves Indian either, and in most cases the ethnicities involved are isolated to Pakistan.

The migration is a very bad excuse to label anything Indian. They are minorities in India, and this still doesnt affect ancient history, but only history post 1947.

Since you keep coming with the old arguments, let me put it into other words.

Consider Ghandaran kingdom. It was a Pashtun Kingdom. They never called themselves "Indian", but Ghandrian, or Pashtuns.
Now consider this:
There are 28 million Pasthuns in Pakistan (not including Afghan immigrants)
There are 12 million in Afghanistan.
There are 13 000 in India.

Do you see a problem calling Ghandara, Indian? It is not located in India, the people didnt call themselves Indian, and the people still dont call themselves Indian in modren times.

And it doesnt even make sense to call it an "Indian" kingdom. The Kingdoms coexisted. How can Kingdoms Coexist??? Obviously they were not united, so grouping them all as "India" is wrong on so many levels, and is only used for Indian nationalist purposes.

I have yet to hear one argument from you for why it should be known as "Indian" history. You keep debunking Pakistani arguments but dont question Indian claims whatsoever.

The only Indian argument I have heard which even makes the slightest sense, is that by "Indian" history, they mean Indian subcontinental.

This is another nationalist excuse. If this was the case, they wouldnt associate Indian flag with the history, and even for kingdoms entirely within Pakistan, they refuse to go into detail of the location, but just insist on calling it Indian.
I mean, why not group the entire worlds history and simply call it Earthian history. Would be much easier.
The Indian subcontinent has been united for a minimal amount of time to group its history, and even if this was the case, a more Neutral name should be given, like South Asian.

I am all for calling the kingdoms by their Oringal names, like Ghandara, Sindh, Indus Valley, and Kushuns empire.
But all these empires and kingdoms form Pakistani history, not Indian. Hence its Pakistani identity.

The term India is relatively new, and comes from "Indus". Alexander referred the region of Pakistan as "Indus" , so technically it should be called Alexanders invasion of Indus, not India. India is what the Brits labelled "Hindoostan", and they randomly used the ancient greek word to derive it.
In 1947, India claimed the name. Surely we are not short sighted enough to give India the history of Pakistan, because of a misused name?.

To summarise, "Indian" history is defined by Hinduism, not the people who call themselves Indian.
This is the main problem.

Edited by SpartaN117 - 28-May-2007 at 11:41

PakHub.Info
Join Us
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 14:51
To Leonidis next time don't post me bogus warnings accusing me of "biggotry" when your own friend Omer is guilty of biggotry and racism by using the term "Paki."

Edited by Distel - 28-May-2007 at 14:53
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 14:54
Look, the word India has many separate meanings.

According to the British Raj, India was the name used for all lands encompassing what is now Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bangladesh. When they left, British mentality was still very prevalent. Therefore, the lands that represented 70% of British India retained the name, "India."

Furthermore, most indology was constructed during the time of the British Raj. Therefore, British terminology was still used.

When historians say "India," they understand its connotations, and the fact that it is a British mindset.

If you were keen, you would spend your time and energy into spreading awareness for the different connotations of the word "India," and help people understand the inherent differences in the names, Republic of India, and India. One is a modern construction. The other is a older British creation.

As for ancient kingdoms, i agree with Omar on this: they don't belong to anyone. The Sumerians are no more Iraqi than the IVC is ____ian.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 15:55
There are so many names to use apart from India, including the ORIGINAL names.

What do you have against the original names, or names which show where the civilisation is and who it is related to?

Why India, India, and India?

PakHub.Info
Join Us
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 16:06
Because it's convention.

If you really want change, you need to take things one step at a time.

First, push (not quite sure who,) to get people to understand the key differences between the post partition and pre partion usages of the word "India." You need to get people used to the idea of separate definitions.

Once people are able to understand the various definitions, you have try to get people to recognize ethnicities belonging to the pre partition definition. You could say things like, "pre-partition Indian states of _____." Or, when talking about ancient civilizations, be sure to include adjectives that distinguish clearly what definition you are using. ie, "the classical Indian kingdoms of the Mahabharata were centered around the north west regions of what is now the Republic of India."

After that, half the battle's done.

You can't just come in, swords drawn, and expect everyone to stop saying "Ancient Indian." It doesn't work like that. Especially not with history. It's my belief that Historians are some of the most stubborn people on the planet.

Take things slower. You'll win eventually. Like Ghandi :)
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 19:13

Consider Ghandaran kingdom. It was a Pashtun Kingdom. They never called themselves "Indian", but Ghandrian, or Pashtuns.
Now consider this:
There are 28 million Pasthuns in Pakistan (not including Afghan immigrants)
There are 12 million in Afghanistan.
There are 13 000 in India.

Do you see a problem calling Ghandara, Indian? It is not located in India, the people didnt call themselves Indian, and the people still dont call themselves Indian in modren times.

How can it be called a Pashtun kingdom when the Pashtuns had not even made it out of the Sulayman mountains into any part of Gandahar yet?
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 22:01
I believe we are winning.Many people are reffering to Pakistan even before it's pre-47 period just like my history teacher.

Iran was officially named in 1935 with it's borders, however iranians have proudly made "ancient Iran" a valid term.Afghanistan was created in 1747, today nobody says "what is now Afghanistan" they reffer to the land by it's current name so will it be with Pakistan in years to come.

Indian fundamentalists will stop at nothing to prevent that but Pakistanis seem to be pushing for it so it will happen but it will take time that's fer sure.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 01:26
Firstly why do people keep calling Bharatis Indians all the time? Can't deprogram yourself or what? Anyway, Bharatis have not stolen the history of Pakistan all by themselves: it was thrown away by pakis and they just took it! In fact it is the religious fanatics of Pakistan who are responsible for letting this history be lost. They have been trying to empty the heads of every single pakistani of every historical fact except for their own choice of religious fables.

These religious fanatics are in fact more responsible than Bharatis are for producing prideless, culturless dumbed down zombies who obsess over religion and toss away real history and important historical facts. People need to turn at least a part of their anger and indignation at the overgrown cancer of religion that has been chewing away at pakistani society and destroying history that should not have been touched and which needs to be revived before its completely ripped off by Bharatis.
Distel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Distel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 01:41
But where did these religious fanatics come from is the question? Islamic fundamentalism was not there till many Bharati immigrants came and enforced it on the Pakistani population.

I don't mean to generalize, since there are many productive Muhajirs out there who care about Pakistan, but the fact is most of the Islamists have been Muhajirs.Today it's slightly beyond that.

But yes Maqsad does make the point Islamists are amongst the biggest problems for Pakistan by selling it's history and causing political and economic setbacks.
kshtriya-Mer View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote kshtriya-Mer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 07:23

You can not say that the ancient cultures like the Indus vally  belong to just pakistain because the people that used to occupy the Indus are not the same people that are in pakistain today.

Their has been so many invasions and conversions of religion on that area more then any other of India that the modern day pakistaini is likely to have more Mongolian and arab blood then ancient Indian.

never mind thousands of years I doubt the same people inhabit pakistain that did 2 or 3 hundred years ago.

The only two most well recorded ancient inhabitants of Pakistain are the Meds and Jatts and maybe an other few inhabitants. The other clans that came to Pakistain when Islam became more powerful in that area because Muslims saw this and migrated towords Sindh and other areas of modern day Pakistan. Just like some of the hindu sumra rulers left the state after they lost power and sultans started taking over.

I see modern day Pakistain as just a etemted Islamic state that started molding after the sumras aligned with the Islamises (arabs) and muslim population grew and during partition the transition was complete.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>