Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Determinism vs. Free Will

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Determinism vs. Free Will
    Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 01:05

and that I believe is an act at least somewhat based on free will.

Oh, of course I do to, as much as I believe in free will, but I feel that anything that exists or has ever existed, only does so at the whim of God. Let's just be happy that with the coming of Christ he's a loving and forgiving god, instead of the demanding and judging god of the old testament.

With that I feel that Hope you and I are just going around in circles so unless something new comes up I'll refrain from posting here. As always it's been a pleasure discussing with you and I'd like you to know I see your point and respect it, just as I'm sure you do mine.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 01:49
my problem is that i enelieve that you should discuss things with evidence based on science, and based on reasonably proven fact. Now a bible. Im not having a go at religion, its great. but its not evidence for anything.
And it seems that the aethiest are the only people who can make an argument based on fact. but lets not get into it.
Viva La Vida!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:57
Originally posted by JanusRook

and that I believe is an act at least somewhat based on free will.

Oh, of course I do to, as much as I believe in free will, but I feel that anything that exists or has ever existed, only does so at the whim of God. Let's just be happy that with the coming of Christ he's a loving and forgiving god, instead of the demanding and judging god of the old testament.

With that I feel that Hope you and I are just going around in circles so unless something new comes up I'll refrain from posting here. As always it's been a pleasure discussing with you and I'd like you to know I see your point and respect it, just as I'm sure you do mine.

Of course, I respect your point of view, and I notice we have quite a lot in common. It's also been very interesting having this debate. However, I agree, let's quit the circles and move on.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 06:00
Originally posted by HistoryPoi

my problem is that i enelieve that you should discuss things with evidence based on science, and based on reasonably proven fact. Now a bible. Im not having a go at religion, its great. but its not evidence for anything.
And it seems that the aethiest are the only people who can make an argument based on fact. but lets not get into it.

I understand that, but as long one has in mind that Religion is about beliefs, then it is no problem.

However, Atheists are not able to produce evidence better than religious people. Atheists claim there is no divinity, but they can't prove that, can they?
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 13:30
Originally posted by Hope

However, Atheists are not able to produce evidence better than religious people. Atheists claim there is no divinity, but they can't prove that, can they?

What evidence do they need to produce?  Evidence is about something being not about something not being. They say there's no evidence of God so there's no God.
The religious people mostly produce what they think of as being the best evidence: their textbooks and religious legacy. The problem seems to be that not everyone accepts those as evidence.
So if you want evidence that Allah exists (I'm not getting anti muslim, just making an example) you should read the Quran, that, according to muslims, is sufficient. If you don't get convinced/converted, that's another story...
On the other hand, the fact that there is no evidence (totally accepted) of God's exitence doesn't necessary mean that the big guy is not. I guess I've read this somewhere: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by Cezar

What evidence do they need to produce?  Evidence is about something being not about something not being. They say there's no evidence of God so there's no God.
The religious people mostly produce what they think of as being the best evidence: their textbooks and religious legacy. The problem seems to be that not everyone accepts those as evidence.
So if you want evidence that Allah exists (I'm not getting anti muslim, just making an example) you should read the Quran, that, according to muslims, is sufficient. If you don't get convinced/converted, that's another story...
On the other hand, the fact that there is no evidence (totally accepted) of God's exitence doesn't necessary mean that the big guy is not. I guess I've read this somewhere: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

The point here is that divinity can not be proven, and it can not be proven wrong. In other words, Atheists can't prove there is no God just as little as Christians, Muslims, Jews or others can prove to non-religious people that God exists.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 14:07

The point here is that divinity can not be proven, and it can not be proven wrong. In other words, Atheists can't prove there is no God just as little as Christians, Muslims, Jews or others can prove to non-religious people that God exists.

Divinity is proven by the religious people. The proof itself is a little bit confusing.
Again,  atheists don't need to prove anything, they just state that there is no proof of divinity therefore there's no divinity.
The believers prove their issues constantly and what amazes them is that not everybody accepts their proofs. They can prove that divinity exists, they just can't make the proof work for anybody. Not to mention what happens when two different proofs are contradictory....
You know, if divinity cannot be proven it might be just as well as if doesn't existis. Who should care about something that is something that nothing is certain about?
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 17:56

Divinity is proven by the religious people. The proof itself is a little bit confusing.
Again,  atheists don't need to prove anything, they just state that there is no proof of divinity therefore there's no divinity.
The believers prove their issues constantly and what amazes them is that not everybody accepts their proofs. They can prove that divinity exists, they just can't make the proof work for anybody. Not to mention what happens when two different proofs are contradictory....
You know, if divinity cannot be proven it might be just as well as if doesn't existis. Who should care about something that is something that nothing is certain about?

Because religion is a matter of faith, and faith can't be convinced through evidence, but through experience. This is why Atheists never can prove the non-existence of divinity and also why religious people can't prove divinity.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 21:17

Yet this just goes to prove the illusion of free will. Are your choices really separate from God's plan? If you reach a crossroads do you turn right because you chose right or because it was pre-ordained you would choose right? You could have chose left but you didn't which means that turning right is the only reality.

A Jansenist?!? Shocked I had no idea they still existed!
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 00:07
Timotheus I believe you are confused on Jansenist belief, their beliefs on free will had to do with a persons salvation, my beliefs on free will are that there is no difference between our experience of it and God's experience of ourselves.

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 01:38
Nah, I was confused on what you were saying. never mind.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 11:43

Because religion is a matter of faith, and faith can't be convinced through evidence, but through experience. This is why Atheists never can prove the non-existence of divinity and also why religious people can't prove divinity.

Religion is mostly a matter of education and environment. Experience is not required to get faithful, you simply have to rely on what you are told. Experience is certainly what non religion is about.
You constantly keep on saying that atheists can't prove the non-existence of divinity. That's a nonsense since to prove the absence of something is impossible. They don't say there is proof of the non-existence of divinity they say there's no proof of divinity. Atheists are generally on the consistent side of logic ant reason, they won't say "there's evidence of absence".
On the other hand, when, finding impossible to show an acceptable proof ov divinity the final statement of the religous is something like "there's something and there is no possible evidence of it". Which is quite inconsistent, not to mention confusing.

Such as this thread, why should determinism conflict with free will. If determinism is seen as a program initiated by a divinity, then there's no much room for free will. If determinism is only a characteristic of the Universe, then free will is one as well (at least for that part of the universe that is our mind). The fact that motivations for acts are caused doesn't mean that those acts were designed (well, not all of them, people can be manipulated, but maybe they also freely decided to let themselves be manipulated).
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 19:14

Religion is mostly a matter of education and environment. Experience is not required to get faithful, you simply have to rely on what you are told. Experience is certainly what non religion is about.
You constantly keep on saying that atheists can't prove the non-existence of divinity. That's a nonsense since to prove the absence of something is impossible. They don't say there is proof of the non-existence of divinity they say there's no proof of divinity. Atheists are generally on the consistent side of logic ant reason, they won't say "there's evidence of absence".
On the other hand, when, finding impossible to show an acceptable proof ov divinity the final statement of the religous is something like "there's something and there is no possible evidence of it". Which is quite inconsistent, not to mention confusing.

Such as this thread, why should determinism conflict with free will. If determinism is seen as a program initiated by a divinity, then there's no much room for free will. If determinism is only a characteristic of the Universe, then free will is one as well (at least for that part of the universe that is our mind). The fact that motivations for acts are caused doesn't mean that those acts were designed (well, not all of them, people can be manipulated, but maybe they also freely decided to let themselves be manipulated).

Firstly: When dealing with divinity, it all really comes down to semantics anyway, and religious people never can convince Atheists of the existence of it. I get your point, and I don't disagree too much about it.

However, when speaking of experience, I don't agree at all. Some people have what we call an awakening, an experience where they feel that God exists. This experience is what makes people to convert, and people do convert. Also people who are brought up with a religion may not stick to it forever, but if they have a sort of experience, an awakening or whatever you call it, the faith will grow stronger. I'll say that experience, in this sense, is very important in matters of faith.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 12:12
That awakening, or revelation, is what makes the religious people not to learn any more from experience (experience as in the sume of everything experienced). The revelation/awakening is what makes them stop. They only use their experience to other things than religion. That moment is sufficient, they don't usually need anything else to get their religion functional. It might be considered a result of experience but still I think of it as being a moment when what makes a human mind being useful gets in loop that threatens it to become useless.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 18:57
Personally, I disagree very strongly with what you say about the awakening or revelation if you prefer. You don't forget or throw away the experiences of your life prior to the awakening when you have experienced it.

However, I'm sorry if I don't get you straight here, so bear over with me. But first you say they don't learn any more from their experience, then you say they use the experience to other things than religion, thus saying they still have and utilize the experience prior to the revelation.

Also, you claim that after a revelation, the revelated human mind is useless? Or rather, is in danger of becoming useless. I don't think that's correct.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 23:06

Except religious people don't say that, the intelligent ones anyway.

Religious people believe that there is ample evidence, it's just that non-religious people don't believe that the evidence is either relevant, unbiased, true or any combination of the three. So don't say the argument is inconsistent, since "we have no evidence" isn't something a religious person would say.

That awakening, or revelation, is what makes the religious people not to learn any more from experience (experience as in the sume of everything experienced). The revelation/awakening is what makes them stop. They only use their experience to other things than religion. That moment is sufficient, they don't usually need anything else to get their religion functional. It might be considered a result of experience but still I think of it as being a moment when what makes a human mind being useful gets in loop that threatens it to become useless.

I would say that sometime after my fifteenth birthday, I had such an awakening, that feeling that God exists and he loves me. And did that make me stop learning about religion even though I had found it. Of course not, in fact it was a driving force to get me to learn even more about my faith and the faiths of others. So I don't agree with you on that.

Also I have always been a very inquisitive mind and have always dabbled into many different intellectual pursuits. My own revealation hasn't changed that aspect, so I don't see how I've stopped my experiences of life.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 06:46

Religious people believe that there is ample evidence, it's just that non-religious people don't believe that the evidence is either relevant, unbiased, true or any combination of the three. So don't say the argument is inconsistent, since "we have no evidence" isn't something a religious person would say.

I would say that sometime after my fifteenth birthday, I had such an awakening, that feeling that God exists and he loves me. And did that make me stop learning about religion even though I had found it. Of course not, in fact it was a driving force to get me to learn even more about my faith and the faiths of others. So I don't agree with you on that.

Also I have always been a very inquisitive mind and have always dabbled into many different intellectual pursuits. My own revealation hasn't changed that aspect, so I don't see how I've stopped my experiences of life.

Very well put, Janus. Thank you for producing a better reply than what I came up with. Personally, my faith is a result of an evolution that has been going on my entire life, so I have not had an awakening in the sense that I suddenly experienced faith, it was more that I became more and more certain of this faith as I grew older. However, an awakening does not mean you put all intellect behind you, it means you see things from a different angle than before.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 09:36

If you read my previous posts you will notice that I stated that religious people can prove the existance of their god. The evidence is the problem, because it should be irefutable and it is not. Eventually, religious people do get to say that there is no irefutable evidence. In fact they  believe there is evidence, they can't produce the evidence. Yet they sustain that there is evidence.
If I say "I believe there is proof of a fraud" can I get a person convicted?

You mustn't take literally what I said, or maybe I must be more explicit. I don't think that when the revelation happens the religious people get dumb or lose any interest in anything. Usually they don't. But the revelation itslef and the result of it is basically a dead end. You can't get out of the faith. You can enhance it, using experience if you want, but still you're not going further. You found the niche, you settled in it, you're now just making it more comfortable. And no matter how inquisitive your mind is you can never go further than "there is God". More than this, if only very clever and peaceful people would get religious, it would not be very bad, but there are to many who prefer to let themeselves brainwashed and turned into fanatic zombies in order to fulfill "God's will". And by doing this they influence all those who share their religion, because they all must know something about their divinty's will.
Both sides have people who die for ideals like freedom, justice, etc. (usually, when those ideals are "good" religious people will declare that their religion is what spawned them). Those ideals are mainly directed at the people, they know that to reach them means to live better. The religious are the only ones who sacrifice their lives and the life of others, either coreligionaries or not, to something that's undefinable and there's no irefutable evidence of. Their faith, their destiny, if you like, is defined by their divnity. So, indeed, they may not experience what free will is, not after they become believers.

Edited by Cezar - 06-Apr-2007 at 09:42
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 10:55
You call revelations a dead end, personally I consider it a doorway. Finding faith isn't just finding faith, it's much more. An awakening can do different things to different people, but often it is a very good thing and some might change their lives to something better thanks to that revelation.

And when you say "going further than there is God", what exactly do you mean? Of course, they are convinced that God exists, but that doesn't stop their intellect from thinking, they just emphasize other subjects, which need not at all be negative.

There is a difference between believers and fanatics. Fanatics are believers, but not all believers are fanatics.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 11:59

If I say "I believe there is proof of a fraud" can I get a person convicted?

Actually it depends upon the legal system in question. Let's say that there is fraud but that person destroyed all the records of their involvement in it. If you can prove that that person was responsible for eliminating records than you will probably be able to get a jury to convict them on fraud.

Likewise in religion, the evidence that suggest God's direct involvement in the world isn't acceptable to nonbelievers, but the evidence of God's indirect involvement, is acceptable to nonbelievers. Take this discourse with Richard Dawkins, the Prophet of all the nonreligious.

COLLINS: Certainly science should continue to see whether we can find evidence for multiverses that might explain why our own universe seems to be so finely tuned. But I do object to the assumption that anything that might be outside of nature is ruled out of the conversation. That's an impoverished view of the kinds of questions we humans can ask, such as "Why am I here?", "What happens after we die?", "Is there a God?" If you refuse to acknowledge their appropriateness, you end up with a zero probability of God after examining the natural world because it doesn't convince you on a proof basis. But if your mind is open about whether God might exist, you can point to aspects of the universe that are consistent with that conclusion.

DAWKINS: To me, the right approach is to say we are profoundly ignorant of these matters. We need to work on them. But to suddenly say the answer is God--it's that that seems to me to close off the discussion.

TIME: Could the answer be God?

DAWKINS: There could be something incredibly grand and incomprehensible and beyond our present understanding.

COLLINS: That's God.

DAWKINS: Yes. But it could be any of a billion Gods. It could be God of the Martians or of the inhabitants of Alpha Centauri. The chance of its being a particular God, Yahweh, the God of Jesus, is vanishingly small--at the least, the onus is on you to demonstrate why you think that's the case.

As you can see he rejects the direct belief in God, but he feels there is enough evidence to suggest something out there. Such as in science we have no direct proof that black holes exist, yet there is strong evidence to suggest the phenomena.

Usually they don't. But the revelation itslef and the result of it is basically a dead end. You can't get out of the faith. You can enhance it, using experience if you want, but still you're not going further. You found the niche, you settled in it, you're now just making it more comfortable. And no matter how inquisitive your mind is you can never go further than "there is God".

So taking your logic if suddenly I had a realization that the Big Bang Theory was true, then I would cease to learn about the beginning of the universe since I all ready had the answer.

Just because I had an awakening, doesn't mean that I can't go beyond "there is God", since I do not know the fullness of God I can't be certain that I know the true God or just an aspect of him.

And I'm a bit sceptical of your suggestion that 'there is no God' is a more advanced concept than 'there is God'. Since you state that there is no advancement past belief in God, you suggest that a non-belief in God allows further advancement. What if a belief in God is a dead end, but one that is at the highest state we can achieve. In other words what if a non-belief in God was a street that went for a kilometer in a circle but a belief in God is a dead end street that goes on for 10 km.

Also just because someone is religious or not, doesn't mean that they are fanatics. Just look at the actions of Green Peace a nonreligious fanatic group and see how much damage they have done and how many people have died as a result of their actions. Have they done good things, of course, but like all organizations there are good acts and bad acts done, such is the nature of mankind.

Their faith, their destiny, if you like, is defined by their divnity. So, indeed, they may not experience what free will is, not after they become believers.

I don't believe that you can say that people who are nonreligious have true free will and people who are religious experience determinism, because this takes away from God or is irrelevant. If God does not exist than you cannot have determinism, unless the world we live in violates our known laws of nature. If God does exist than nothing exists outside his domain so even those that don't believe in him are merely doing what God know's they will do and allows them to do it, so I cannot see how free will can exist in our understanding of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>