Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich is the strongest muslim country at

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the strongest muslim country at
    Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 06:06
That's why I didnt give any importance to the nuke bombs assembled by Pak over the economy & fighting capability of some other countries.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 06:15
Originally posted by Pacifist

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Iran is ore self reliant & a better economy than the Turks, bigger country, with the backing of Shias worldwide. Just one point of difference. 
Totally rubbish. Turkey has a stronger economy than Iran (do I really need to explain this?) and Turkey does not even possess any natural resources.

Secondly, the stuff Iran makes is "third world" crap, thus utterly useless against modern militaries. And Iran is not a "bigger" country than Turkey either, I don't know where you get your information from mate. :) 

Indian military HQ Big smile 
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Pacifist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 06:24
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Desimir, Ottoman Empire of 1900s was really weak and it was clear that she was collapsing, It would be abnormal if you couldn't have defeated her
Well, the same goes for the Byzantine Empire when the Ottomans conquered it. No excuses please. :D

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 06:33
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Originally posted by Pacifist

Iran is ore self reliant & a better economy than the Turks, bigger country, with the backing of Shias worldwide. Just one point of difference. 
Totally rubbish. Turkey has a stronger economy than Iran (do I really need to explain this?) and Turkey does not even possess any natural resources.

Secondly, the stuff Iran makes is "third world" crap, thus utterly useless against modern militaries. And Iran is not a "bigger" country than Turkey either, I don't know where you get your information from mate. :) 

Indian military HQ Big smile 

Yes indeed, Indian HQ.  Whatever I have mentioned so far is fully correct. I had already rated Turkey at the top, if you care to look at my first list, which started this debate.

I also maintain that Iran is a close no. 2. & much more experienced than turkey, more accepted in the Islamic world, A leader of the Shias. An oil rich country. Having home grown nuclear technology as opposed to the pakistani collection & assembly. All these are strong factors which make iran very near to tureky in my list.

And my claim regarding the size of the country is correct. Go to google & search.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 06:34
Well first for pakistan army: I don't find them strong enough to be in the first 3 positions. Look the army quarrel in Afgan borders with the tribes. 348 dead pakistan soldiers in what... 2 months? Fighting rebels. This is not strong army. I believe Turkey has strong army. At least one of the biggest... second in NATO after USA. None knows about Iran. Only speculations...but according to my opinion Egypt has a very good organised and strong army. I think Egypt, Iran and Saudi & Turkey are the strongests. Saudi Arabia spends the year 16 bilion dollars for weapons!!!!

As far as Tsetsens is for laghing.

ps. The strongest navy marines (underneath water)in mediteranean are Greeks. Also the best trained tank divitions in the region are the Greek Black beres. For air force Turkish air force is good only for fighting Kurds. Because we all know what is happening in Aegean. Thats way Turkish air force come in agreement with Israelis for mutual air force training. But it is True that Turkey has really strong ground forces. They are well trained in mountains of Kurdistan.
They have evolved a lot since Cyprus.

Edited by perikles - 18-Sep-2006 at 06:35
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 06:42
Perikles, Pakistan Army isnt using it's full might. It deliberately took things very easy in Waziristan so not to end up killing too many people - Waziris are Pakistani citizens after all.

Someone mentioned tactical nukes before. I dont know the exact definition of one, but would imagine the Pak missile Babur could be deployed as one.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 18-Sep-2006 at 06:51
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 07:06
Originally posted by perikles

Well first for pakistan army: I don't find them strong enough to be in the first 3 positions. Look the army quarrel in Afgan borders with the tribes. 348 dead pakistan soldiers in what... 2 months? Fighting rebels. This is not strong army. I believe Turkey has strong army. At least one of the biggest... second in NATO after USA. None knows about Iran. Only speculations...but according to my opinion Egypt has a very good organised and strong army. I think Egypt, Iran and Saudi & Turkey are the strongests. Saudi Arabia spends the year 16 bilion dollars for weapons!!!!

ps. The strongest navy marines (underneath water)in mediteranean are Greeks. Also the best trained tank divitions in the region are the Greek Black beres. For air force Turkish air force is good only for fighting Kurds. Because we all know what is happening in Aegean. Thats way Turkish air force come in agreement with Israelis for mutual air force training. But it is True that Turkey has really strong ground forces. They are well trained in mountains of Kurdistan.

Guess you are right Perikles. They had to deploy their entire availaible army to fight them & the baloochis. Why  the baloochis even claim that the paki army had used chemcal weapons to attack the ailing infirm balooch leader bugti hiding in a cave.

Also most of the power of the pak army comes from the numerous afghan tribes who are a powerfull & mean fighters. they are the most numerous in the pak army too. All this Afghans have more sympothy for thier motherland Afghanistan rather than Pak, but find themsemlves on the wrong side of the border due to the durand line.

In any eventuallity most Afghans would simply prefer Iran or Turkey or saudis for that matter, leaving the pak military virtually dissolved.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 07:18

Guess you are right Perikles. They had to deploy their entire availaible army to fight them & the baloochis. Why  the baloochis even claim that the paki army had used chemcal weapons to attack the ailing infirm balooch leader bugti hiding in a cave.

Also most of the power of the pak army comes from the numerous afghan tribes who are a powerfull & mean fighters. they are the most numerous in the pak army too. All this Afghans have more sympothy for thier motherland Afghanistan rather than Pak, but find themsemlves on the wrong side of the border due to the durand line.

In any eventuallity most Afghans would simply prefer Iran or Turkey or saudis for that matter, leaving the pak military virtually dissolved.

Nope, Pakistan Army was fully deployed in 1965 when it beat the Indian Army. Since then it's never been fully deployed.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 08:03

Originally posted by malizai_

Based on the will to fight and a geography to support such a will. I would say.

For the top three:

Based on a fanatical sacrificial fighting absorbing all sorts of casualties.
TURKS
Based on a entrenched long term fighting, on the basis of an underlying deeprooted sense of hostility due to nationalistic pride
IRANIANS
Based on the above by using religion as the primary motive.
PAKISTAN

Pakistani military isnt strong because of religion. It's just got good equipment and according to the Americans are amongst the best pilots in the world training wise. From Yahya Khan to Mush, they've all been pretty moderate, and it more or less pervades through the ranks, as the incident with the fighter pilots recently showed.

Military might in terms of armament alone is not enough, The WILL to fight and SACRIFICE is a what keeps armies going. U can see it in Vietnam, present day Afghanistan, Iraq.

I find that the turks find this strength to maintain morale and unity through the sense of turkish nationhood. The Iranians through self view through the prism of historical greatness and  sense of nationalism. Pakistan can sustain that nationalism through the sense of muslim unity as for the purpose of its creations by invoking their sense of muslim pride and duty. It is a nation of numerous ethnicities incorporating Altaic, iranic, indic and semite groups as well. Religion is the thread that keeps all of them together. The support of the people is paramount in the sustainability of any conflict.

The list in not in a particular order. It also depend on the stimuli for any conflcit affecting these countries.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 08:13
I dont really agree Malizai. Will to fight comes from being in the right as a famous Chinese military tactician once suggested. It's far more important than nationalism or bonding between people.

Iraqis feel they've been invaded. Afghanis the same. It's not religion that motivates them to fight. It's the presence of foreign troops on their soil. Iraqis are fighting a much stronger adversary now than the Iranians, but they're not giving up as easily. 

Pakistan is a classical nationalistic scenario. The nationalism comes from the Indian threat. It's odd, but this threat has benefitted Pakistan quite a bit.  this is what binds the nation in my opinion - anti Indian nationalism, and if it goes, I would worry about the existence of Pakistan.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 08:24

Nope, Pakistan Army was fully deployed in 1965 when it beat the Indian Army. Since then it's never been fully deployed.

Funny. Their are several pictures on the net of Indians standing guard outside Pak bases after conquering them.

Infact I know one person who was in the plattool that blasted its way through the Ichhogil canal & was waiting withing 5 Km of Lahore for oders from the Indian politicians to invasde & capture Lahore. They had destroyed all Paki defences in the line. He says they needed only 8 hours to capture the Assemblu in lahore because they was no one left to obstruct them. But the Indian politicians as always wanted to place peacekeeper game & called them back.

And who doesnt remember Khem karan, bangladesh to name a few, where the paks were utterly routed or the Bangladesh where 90000 pak soldiers were at the mercy of Indians.

Or the fact that the pak has still been unable to annexe Kashmir & has to resort to terrorism & wasting the lives of its Afghan population & using them.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 08:32
Khemkaran was won by Pakistan.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 08:41
You are tight dear, All wars were won by Pakistan. Only thing is that after winning the khemkaran war, the pakistani government, to recover its war expenses, sold hundreds of Patton tanks desttroyed by Indians  to Indians for a princely sum & the Indians put those tanks at one place and turned the battlefield ointo a tourism spots.

One of those Patton tanks (its remains) also stands at my college displayed as a monument of the bravery of Pak soldiers who won the Khemkaran battle.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 09:02
[QUOTE=perikles]Well first for pakistan army: I don't find them strong enough to be in the first 3 positions. Look the army quarrel in Afgan borders with the tribes. 348 dead pakistan soldiers in what... 2 months? Fighting rebels. This is not strong army. I believe Turkey has strong army. At least one of the biggest... second in NATO after USA. None knows about Iran. Only speculations...but according to my opinion Egypt has a very good organised and strong army. I think Egypt, Iran and Saudi & Turkey are the strongests. Saudi Arabia spends the year 16 bilion dollars for weapons!!!!

I would like you to first reserch properly before making any more ignorant statements like the one above. First, the fighting was for 2 and a half years.  There were two phases. In the South, its was a short bitter struggle against foreign militants. The total casulties there were 340, and that means killedm, wounded, missing etc. Not just fatalities. The second phase was in the north, which was a local rebellion by Afghani Taliban comprised of people who had moved to Pakistan after 1979 and have become the majority there.

The Losses total were about 1000, KIA and WIA. Boths ops. Finally it was not Pakistan Army which was deployed (except for commando and artillry units and IIRC 10 Cavalry) it was paramilitary.

General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 09:25
Good points Sparten. I knew the judgement of Pak Army on the basis of Waziristan was daft, but I didn't realize how quite so much. It was more a guerilla war there from what i can tell anyhow, which are always a bit messy, unless you want to flatten the place of course.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 09:39

I dont really agree Malizai. Will to fight comes from being in the right as a famous Chinese military tactician once suggested. It's far more important than nationalism or bonding between people.

Iraqis feel they've been invaded. Afghanis the same. It's not religion that motivates them to fight. It's the presence of foreign troops on their soil. Iraqis are fighting a much stronger adversary now than the Iranians, but they're not giving up as easily. 

Pakistan is a classical nationalistic scenario. The nationalism comes from the Indian threat. It's odd, but this threat has benefitted Pakistan quite a bit.  this is what binds the nation in my opinion - anti Indian nationalism, and if it goes, I would worry about the existence of Pakistan.

Most of what u say is not far from what i am theorizing.

Yes the Chinese man is right also, but the will to fight also comes from an existential threat werther perceived or actual (especially in case of external threat). Pakistani nationalism is based upon a religious identity much like the Israeli one, that is what binds a baluchi to pathan or punjabi. The indian threat is as much a Hindu threat to a muslim Pakistan. I am not generalizing but being specific to each of the three countries.

I used the examples of Iraq and Afghanistan in the context of lesser armed group sustaining warfare against a better armed one on the basis of will and sacrifice. I did not discuss the basis of their will.  I did for the other three countries, where each one draws on a different source to strengthen their resolve.
i.e, I hypothesize that if u were to listen to the poets of the three groups they would each try to stir the passions of their troops with verses that may begin something like this:

Turks: O turks ye son of warriors.....
Iranians: O ye sons of sassanians......
Pakistanis: O ye the vanguard of islam.....
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 09:55
Malazi, my generation especially is beginning to see a Pakistani identity, compleletly seperate from islam.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 10:09
Originally posted by Sparten

Malazi, my generation especially is beginning to see a Pakistani identity, compleletly seperate from islam.

Funny you say that, because that is exactly what the Israelis are hoping to achieve too. But if u ever want to rent asunder a country then nationalism on the basis of ethnicity is the most explosive force around. Identities can be constructed as well as deconstructed.Wink
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 10:12
Originally posted by malizai_

Most of what u say is not far from what i am theorizing.

Yes the Chinese man is right also, but the will to fight also comes from an existential threat werther perceived or actual (especially in case of external threat).

This is what I'm saying above. Foreign threat gives the will to fight, pride or religion or fanatical historical pride only gives some temporary impetus but not a basic will to fight. Being proud of your history won't for example help you attack another country if you don't feel it's right.

Pakistani nationalism is based upon a religious identity much like the Israeli one, that is what binds a baluchi to pathan or punjabi. The indian threat is as much a Hindu threat to a muslim Pakistan. I am not generalizing but being specific to each of the three countries.

I disagree with this. It's true that Pakistan was formed as a safe haven for Muslims, however Pakistani nationalism is in my opinion, in no way based on religious identity. A Baloch or a Pathan is bound more to someone from Afghanistan on the basis of ethnic and religious identity than to a Punjabi. This disproves the notion that the what binds the people of Pakistan is religious identity. What binds the Pakistani Pathan to the Pakistani Punjabi is the existence of India - ironic but very true. If you ask a tribesman from the frontier, tribal district who his enemy is, he will say immediately that India is, and then a couple more. This is what a Punjabi would say also, and this is what binds them together.

I used the examples of Iraq and Afghanistan in the context of lesser armed group sustaining warfare against a better armed one on the basis of will and sacrifice. I did not discuss the basis of their will.  I did for the other three countries, where each one draws on a different source to strengthen their resolve.
i.e, I hypothesize that if u were to listen to the poets of the three groups they would each try to stir the passions of their troops with verses that may begin something like this:

Turks: O turks ye son of warriors.....
Iranians: O ye sons of sassanians......
Pakistanis: O ye the vanguard of islam.....

I know what you're saying, and I don't agree is all. What motivates a Pakistani is the threat from India, it's not Islam. This might have been the raison d'etre for Pakistan, but that was the theory, in principal it's worked out much differently. To stir the passions of the troops, Pakistan only would need to mention - India is attacking Pakistan. You can see this in the national anthem of Pakistan. Count how many times it mentions "land" and how many times it mentions Islam.

Blessed be sacred land,
Happy be bounteous realm,
Symbol of high resolve,
Land of Pakistan.
Blessed be thou citadel of faith.
The Order of this Sacred Land
Is the might of the brotherhood of the people.
May the nation, the country, and the State
Shine in glory everlasting.
Blessed be the goal of our ambition.
This flag of the Cresent and the Star
Leads the way to progress and perfection,
Interpreter of our past,
glory of our present,
Inspiration of our future,
Symbol of Almighty's protection.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 18-Sep-2006 at 10:16
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 10:16
Originally posted by Sparten

Totally agree again Sparten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>