Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is Jesus Christ, Really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is Jesus Christ, Really?
    Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 08:57
I didn`t say Jesus cleansed the world of its sin,  however the law of forgivenss was put into man`s conscious.

How many times have you heard  nations or people asking other nations and peoples  forgiveness for  past aggressions.Maybe it don`t mean much in this world,  but who knows in the spiritual world .:)
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 01:11
Originally posted by docyabut

I didn`t say Jesus cleansed the world of its sin,  however the law of forgivenss was put into man`s conscious.

How many times have you heard  nations or people asking other nations and peoples  forgiveness for  past aggressions.Maybe it don`t mean much in this world,  but who knows in the spiritual world .:)

Are you suggesting forgiveness was an inexistent concept prior to the coming of Christ?

Buddhist scriptures were referring to forgiveness even before Jesus was a sperm (I meant Holy sperm Big smile)

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 16-Jul-2006 at 01:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 03:57
Originally posted by Atourian

No matter how much anybody belittles Jesus himself, his massive influence on much of humanity cannot be ignored. He's simply the best.

I agree with you..Wink Jonathan Edwards, one of the greatest theologian of the 18th century commented on Jesus with admirable conjunction of diverse excellence. He stated that in the person of Christ do meet together infinite glory and lowest humility, infinite majesty and transcendent meekness, deepest reverence towards God and equality with God, infinite worthiness of good, and the greatest patience under sufferings of evil, an exceeding spirit of obedience, with supreme dominion over heaven and earth, absolute sovereignty and perfect resignation and in Christ do meet together self-sufficiency, and an entire trust and reliance on God.
He is the best indeed! No man in history can surpass the excellence of Jesus Christ.

Edited by Bugay2 - 16-Jul-2006 at 03:59
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 19:40
He is the best indeed! No man in history can surpass the excellence of Jesus Christ.

I lament.
Then were all dommed.

Originally posted by docyabut

Really so somehow the human speices survived all the way up to jesus's dawn. So that must mean that the kids in the different family units must have never had quarrels, oh no, without forgivness there that would mean disastor. As if they could not forgive these vendata's would keep building up untill the tower topples.The same function would have to be applied on grander scales in this deffinatly hpothetical world.

And i am sick of jesus being put higher in valour then all other humanbeings. It's a discrace. there are so many people out there that dedicate  themselfs to contributing in paramout morale ways to the world. Many i am sure far more then this jesus.

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 23:43

Buddhist scriptures were referring to forgiveness even before Jesus was a sperm (I meant Holy sperm Big smile)

Recently an important archaeological discovery was made, consisting of the earliest known Buddhist manuscripts, recovered from somewhere near ancient Gandhara in northwest Pakistan. These fragments, written on birch bark, are dated to the 1st century and have been compared to the Dead Sea scrolls in importance. Donated to the British Library in 1994, they are now being studied in a joint project at the University of Washington[1].

Today they still know him and love him and worship him as St. Issa. their 'buddha'

Himaya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Himaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 03:57
Ahem! im just observing you guys, how you respond to this topic i post. thanks for sharing wonderful insights about this person Jesus.

Himaya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Himaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 04:24
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

In the end if Jesus existed it makes no difference, he might have been just some random Palestinian speechman who had spent too much time in the sun and began preaching. Most likely no one even listened him. All theories are equally valid because there is no way to prove anything.

One thing that makes it hard to say what Jesus is like is that the main parts of his story from the bible are taken from the Zoroastrian myth Mithras, which was a while before Jesus. Mithras, the son of God, born on December 25 to a virgin. He later was crucified.

Sounds very similar to the Christian Jesus, eh?

Does Christianity really borrowed its story from Mithraism?

After some research iv'e found this answer to you, emperor.

" Mithraism was one of the major religions of the Roman Empire which was derived from the ancient Persian god of light and wisdom.  The cult of Mithraism was quite prominent in ancient Rome, especially among the military.  Mithra was the god of war, battle, justice, faith, and contract. According to Mithraism, Mithra was called the son of God, was born of a virgin, had disciples, was crucified, rose from the dead on the third day, atoned for the sins of mankind, and returned to heaven."

Very similar to Jesus' story, isnt it.

But as i have observed, Mithra existed later than the old testament. the old testament was written about 2000 bc and was completed about 400 bc, which proves that it is an earlier record
than myth of Mithra. if we are careful to examine the old testament, most, if not all of major events in Christ story is already prophesied. His followers dont need to borrow a story from a myth 'cause their scipture has already told it. if they did borrowed from Mithra, then mithra must also borrowed fromthe old testament which is a proven early manuscript.

if you are interested, i would like to refer you read this few verses from the old testament and new testament.

1.      ascension of  Jesus to the right hand of God: Psalm 110:1 with matthew 26:64, Ephesians 1:20

2.      Jesus is the Begotten son of God : psalm 2:7 with Acts 13:33, He 1:5

3.      Crucifixion : psalm 22: 11-18, Zechariah 12:10 with Luke 23:33-38

4.      Incarnation of God:

a.       Exodus 3:14 with John 8:58

b.      Isaiah 9:6 with Hebrews 1:8, 1:1-3, Colossians 2:9

5.      virgin birth: Isaiah 7:14 with Mathew 1:25

6.      resurrection of Christ: Psalm 16:9-10, 49:15, Isaiah 2619 with John 2:19-21

7. and many more...Smile

Himaya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Himaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 04:43
Originally posted by flyingzone

Even when I was a believer, I always had a lot of problem with the awkward way the concept of the Holy Trinity was presented to me and defended by those who talked it. As a result, even while I was leading Bible study groups, I always secretly wished no one would ask me detailed questions on this concept because I wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about. As far as I know, the concept of "Trinity" is one of the most key concepts in Christianity that do not have a clear scriptural basis and it is definitely a subsequent theological "add-on".

Can anyone enlighten me on this issue (even just for discussion's sake, not for reconverting me to Christianity Wink  ). Akolouthos?

I hope i have time to discuss this with you, flyingzone.

perhaps St. augustine can help.

This is how he illustrated trinity in his book "de trinitate" < does it spell like that?Sleepy>, which he wrote for about 20 years. This is how i understood his introduction:

God is love. And love in order to exist must have three elements: the lover, the beloved and the love that binds them. In the Godhead, the Father is the lover, the Son is Beloved and the Holy Spirit isthe love that binds them.Smile. Quite hard to understand, isnt it? Maybe that makes the Christians to believe it because you cant explain it. God is a mystery. Anyone who can explain God is also God, they say.

I have heard one say, commenting on Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not in your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path," that you dont need to know evrything in order to trust God.Sleepy

Maybe, next time i can give you some biblical and historical suports, the Christians claim about this issue. se yah next.
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 09:40
Originally posted by Komnenos

If we accept that he actually existed,( which by no means is certain but probable) then all we know is that he was one of the many Jewish sectarian preachers that populated Palestine during the reign of Emperor Tiberius.
Everything else is a simple figment of imagination, depending what you choose to believe in. Neither his life, his deeds nor his words can be historically authenticated.  Jesus really is what you make of him.

Originally posted by gargoyle

Remember People, belief in Jesus is a question of Faith and not a question of Historical Reality.

Ermm

Jesus was God incarnate.  He proclaimed himself as such on countless occasions.  He was the only prophet or religious leader (from the 5 main branches/sources of religion, ie Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity) to have professed/claimed himself as "God".

Matter of fact, Buddha, Mohammed, Confucius, Zoroaster, etc., never claimed to know God personally, never claimed they could give eternal life, never claimed they were able to grant forgiveness at a future judgement (even though they all believed in a future judgement), none of them claimed their teachings was meant for all peoples of all nations, in all ages.

I think most of us are guilty of being 'misinformed', 'misguided' and 'ignorant' of knowing who Jesus was exactly, and you won't know who
he was exactly or really (as the topic states) until you've 'actually' read
the bible.. (something i have only recently done myself).. otherwise it's
like giving a book review on a book that hasn't been read... how will you essentially know about the characters/figures depicted in them.

There is overwhelming evidence that the New Testament is an accurate and trustworthy historical document, but many people are still reluctant to believe what it says unless there is also some independent, non-biblical testimony that validates its statements.

This is "probably the most important reference to Jesus outside the New Testament."  Reporting on Emperor Nero's decision to blame the Christians for the fire that had destroyed Rome in A.D. 64, the Roman historian Tacitus wrote:

Nero fastened the guilt on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, (latin form of Christ) from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty (ie crucifixion) during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome
(Tacitus, Annals 15.44, cited in Strobel, The Case for Christ, 82.)

This confirms much of what the Gospels tell us about the death of Jesus.

Evidence from Pliny the Younger (Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor)

Early Christianity can be found in his letters to Emperor Trajan. In one of his specific letters, dated around AD 112, he asks Trajan's advice about the suitable way to conduct legal proceedings against those accused of being Christians.  Pliny says that he needed to consult the emperor about this issue because a great multitude of every age, class, and sex stood accused of Christianity.
(Pliny, Epistles x. 96, cited in Bruce, Christian Origins, 25; Habermas,
The Historical Jesus, 198). 9) (Ibid., 27).

They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to do any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver
it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble
to partake of food--but food of an ordinary and innocent kind.

(Pliny, Letters, transl. by William Melmoth, rev. by W.M.L. Hutchinson (Cambridge: Harvard Univ. Press, 1935), vol. II, X:96, cited in Habermas, The Historical Jesus, 199).

Josephus (a first century Jewish historian)

On 2 occasions in his Jewish Antiquities, he mentions Jesus.  The 2nd, less revealing, reference describes the condemnation of one "James" by the Jewish Sanhedrin.
"This James was the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ"
(Josephus, Antiquities xx. 200, cited in Bruce, Christian Origins, 36).

In the "Testimonium Flavianum" declares:
"About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he wrought surprising feats.  He was the Christ. When Pilate condemned him to be crucified, those who had come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared restored to life.  And the tribe of Christians has not disappeared".
(Josephus, Antiquities 18.63-64, cited in Yamauchi, "Jesus Outside
the New Testament", 212).

Evidence from the Babylonian Talmud

The earliest period of compilation occurred between 70-200 AD.
(Habermas, The Historical Jesus, 202-03)
The most significant reference to Jesus from this period states:

(The Babylonian Talmud, transl. by I. Epstein (London: Soncino, 1935),
vol. III, Sanhedrin 43a)
On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged.
(Yeshu/Yeshua = Jesus in hebrew)
(hanged = can function as a synonym for "crucified." For eg, Galatians 3:13 declares that Christ was "hanged", and Luke 23:39 applies this term to the criminals who were crucified with Jesus).

For forty days before the execution took place, a herald cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy".
(The cry of the herald may simply indicate that the Jewish leaders were planning to have Jesus stoned, but Roman involvement changed their plans)
(sorcery = in reference to the Pharisees' accusations that Jesus cast
out demons)
(Apparently Jesus' miracles were too well attested to deny, so the only alternative was to ascribe them to sorcery! Likewise, the charge of enticing Israel to apostasy parallels Luke's account of the Jewish leaders who accused Jesus of misleading the nation with his teaching. Such a charge tends to corroborate the New Testament record of Jesus' powerful teaching ministry. Thus, if read carefully, this passage from the Talmud confirms much of our knowledge about Jesus from the New Testament).

Lucian of Samosata (2nd century Greek satirist)

"The Christians worship a man to this day--the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account... [It] was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods
of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws".

( Lucian, The Death of Peregrine, 11-13, in The Works of Lucian of Samosata, transl. by H.W. Fowler and F.G. Fowler, 4 vols. (Oxford: Clarendon, 1949), vol. 4., cited in Habermas, The Historical Jesus, 206.)

It implies the belief that Jesus was more than human. Since they denied other gods in order to worship Him, they apparently thought Jesus a greater God than any that Greece had to offer!

In summary;

1. Both Josephus and Lucian indicate that Jesus was regarded as wise.
2. Pliny, the Talmud, and Lucian imply He was a powerful and revered teacher.
3. Both Josephus and the Talmud indicate He performed miraculous feats.
4. Tacitus, Josephus, the Talmud, and Lucian all mention that He was crucified.
    Tacitus and Josephus say this occurred under Pontius Pilate.
    And the Talmud declares it happened on the eve of Passover.
5. There are possible references to the Christian belief in Jesus' resurrection in both
    Tacitus and Josephus.
6. Josephus records that Jesus' followers believed He was the Christ, or Messiah.
7. Both Pliny and Lucian indicate that Christians worshipped Jesus as God!

Other 1st century anti-Christian historical writers who confirm significant details of the New Testament claims, include Roman Emperor Tacitus, Suetonius and Mara Bar-Serapion.  They all confirm that Jesus and his followers claimed he was God.

Mormons believes he and Lucifer(Satan) are brothers.

Originally posted by Le Renard

That is correct. Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.

sorry, but that's got to be the most ludicrous thing i have ever heard/read. Shocked
also, i wouldn't mind some bible quotes to support this comment/belief??
ps and from a reliable bible source thanks.. none of these modified versions, that have
been cut down to size or modified to their liking or to suit their own desires. *rolleyes*

Jesus was God (and i can give more proof/evidence regarding this)...
God created Lucifer, so putting God's creature on an equal par with Him, is just unacceptable/laughable, really.

Originally posted by Le Renard

In the premortal existence there was a great meeting in Heaven where God presented his plan unto his children (us).

Lucifer was cast off from the presence of the Lord. 1/3 of God's children followed him. The 2/3 that stayed with God are the ones who have come down to earth and will come down to earth.

Confused *huh* Again, wouldn't mind some bible references on this?
i think you are confusing "man" with "angels".. Man has never pre-existed in Heaven.  You seem to be describing the 'fall' of the angels, who then became demons.

Old Testament prophecies foretold the life and mission of Jesus Christ
hundreds of years before He was born.  There are 2000 specific prophecies which have already been fulfilled.  This is particularly astounding considering when we recall that there are no such prophecies in the 'scripture' of any other religion.

Just to name a few;
1.  The Messiah would be preceded by a messenger.
2.  The Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.
3.  The Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah.
4.  The Messiah would enter Jerusalem on a colt.
5.  The Messiah would be betrayed by a friend.
6.  The Messiah would be sold for 30 pieces of silver.
7.  The Messiah would be spit upon and beaten.
8.  The Messiah would be wounded by His enemies.
9.  The Messiah would be silent before His accusers.
10. The betrayal money thrown in the temple and given for a potter's field.
11. The Messiah would have His hands and feet priced.
12. The Messiah would be crucified with theives.
13. Prophet Daniel predicted when an anointed one would be rejected.
14. Isaiah foresaw the virgin birth of Jesus.
15. God promised another prophet like Moses.
16. God's salvation would reach the ends of the earth (spread of Christianity.
17. God's servant would be buried in a rich man's tomb.
18. Jesus' resurrection was foreshadowed in the Old Testament.

This link goes into more detail, including Old and New Testament comparisons... there's overwhelming evidence.
http://www.konig.org/messianic.htm

There's more to follow, esp if anyone's interested ??

"Very truly I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and does not come under judgement but has passed from death to life"

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 10:05
Ellin, there is no overwhelming evidence that the New Testament is real. There are four, let me say it again, four different accounts of Jesus's life. How can they all be true? Also, did you ever hear of Mithras? He was the Son of God, born on December 25 to a virgin, and was later crucified. This was a myth created before Jesus Christ. Sound a little familiar? What about the New Testament's various statements about God? Where is the proof of that? Nowhere except in the book. You still are confusing evidence with faith.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 10:30
Originally posted by Ellin

Old Testament prophecies foretold the life and mission of Jesus Christhundreds of years before He was born. There are 2000 specific prophecies which have already been fulfilled. This is particularly astounding

Not, if you regard it as dress rehearsal for the creation of a myth. If Jesus never did exist but was a composite of people and events, mixed with myth, then it's hardly surprising that the legend was created as having satisfied all these prophecies.

Josephus (a first century Jewish historian)

On 2 occasions in his Jewish Antiquities, he mentions Jesus.

Oh heck no. Josephus mentions nineteen completely different people named Jesus. Four of them were High Priests of the Temple (Jesus ben Phiabi, Jesus ben Sec, Jesus ben Damneus and Jesus ben Gamaliel).

The Jesus who is mentioned as being the brother of James, is Jesus bar Damneus, who Agrippa installed as High Priest after executing the former High Priest, who had accused James of something or other.

There are so many Jesuses in Josephus, they form gangs and throw stones at each other over the High Priesthood:

"And now Jesus, the son of Gamaliel, became the successor of Jesus, the son of Damneus, in the high priesthood, which the king had taken from the other; on which account a sedition arose between the high priests, with regard to one another; for they got together bodies of the boldest sort of the people, and frequently came, from reproaches, to throwing of stones at each other."

Jesus was God incarnate. He proclaimed himself as such on countless occasions. He was the only prophet or religious leader (from the 5 main branches/sources of religion, ie Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity) to have professed/claimed himself as "God".

Hardly! There is nothing in any of the scriptures that has Jesus proclaiming himself to be God incarnate.

The story of Jesus's claims to Messiah-hood are not at all unusual for the time. There were dozens upon dozens of religious zealots in Judea known to have proclaimed themselves the Messiah during the turbulent period from about the 2nd century BC to the early 2nd century AD. The notion of an individual with direct relationship with God go back thousands of years in Hebrew mythology.

Edited by edgewaters - 18-Jul-2006 at 01:31
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 11:02

Jesus was God incarnate.  He proclaimed himself as such on countless occasions.  He was the only prophet or religious leader (from the 5 main branches/sources of religion, ie Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity) to have professed/claimed himself as "God".

As quoted, I do believe that Jesus existed as well, but I never would use a whole army of tertiary sources to prove that, as much I never would use a highly selective reading and fanciful interpreting of Old Testamentary texts as  retrospective evidence.
As for the trustworthiness of the New Testament, the texts were written decades after Jesus' assumed death, by writers who had never met the man and had to rely on second-hand accounts by adherents of the, by then rapidly speading, cult, who were hardly unbiased, but on the contrary were trying to explain and justify their beliefs.
Nevermind that the official New Testament is nothing more than a collection of texts that confirmed to the doctrines of the Orthodox church hierachy in the 3rd century, who discarded equally valid ( or not) texts that gave a different interpretation of Jesus' live , the nature of his being or the contents of his teachings.
None of the New or Old Testamant can actually prove that he existed, nevermind that he was God or the son of God, or both and so on.
If you choose to believe so, that's fine with me, but in forum dedicated to history, it unfortunately won't do.

I believe in Jesus'existence because I believe I can deduct the probabilty of it by the genesis of Christianity as a religion based on a personality cult.
The possibilty that Christianity arose without having posessed an actual Christ is rather small.

As for Christ being the only one claiming to be God or Son of God, there have been countless instances of claimants who pretended to be such incarnation. If he really did so, and again there is no proof, Jesus was just lucky that found enough to believe him.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 01:33

The possibilty that Christianity arose without having posessed an actual Christ is rather small.

Not really, syncretism can just as easily account for it, especially considering the time period and the prevalence of syncretic religions in Judea and throughout the Classical world during that period.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 04:43

If we accept that he actually existed,( which by no means is certain but probable) then all we know is that he was one of the many Jewish sectarian preachers that populated Palestine during the reign of Emperor Tiberius.
Everything else is a simple figment of imagination, depending what you choose to believe in. Neither his life, his deeds nor his words can be historically authenticated.  Jesus really is what you make of him.

Originally posted by gargoyle

Remember People, belief in Jesus is a question of Faith and not a question of Historical Reality.

Ermm

Where does he proclaim himself to be God? I can't find it in my copies of the Gospels.

That apart, how does someone proclaiming himself God prove that he is? Lots of other 'prophets' have made the same claim (though I agree not from what you call the 'five main' religions).

Matter of fact, Buddha, Mohammed, Confucius, Zoroaster, etc., never claimed to know God personally, never claimed they could give eternal life, never claimed they were able to grant forgiveness at a future judgement (even though they all believed in a future judgement), none of them claimed their teachings was meant for all peoples of all nations, in all ages.

Well, that was honest of them, wasn't it? And much to their credit, surely?

Actually, though, they all - except the Jewish prophets and some Hindus - claimed their teachings were 'for people of all nations and ages'; Confucius didn't believe in a future judgement and to infer that the doctrine of Karma implies a judgement completely misunderstands it.

I think most of us are guilty of being 'misinformed', 'misguided' and 'ignorant' of knowing who Jesus was exactly, and you won't know who
he was exactly or really (as the topic states) until you've 'actually' read
the bible.. (something i have only recently done myself).. otherwise it's
like giving a book review on a book that hasn't been read... how will you essentially know about the characters/figures depicted in them.

You should speak for yourself. I think most of us - in the West at least - have read the Bible extensively. What you apparently should do is read a lot more about other religions before you write about them.

There is overwhelming evidence that the New Testament is an accurate and trustworthy historical document,

Balderdash. I'd agree a lot of the Old Testament is as trustworthy as a one-sided account can be. And I generally accept that Acts and the Epistles are probably reliable statements of Peter and Paul's journeyings and teachings, but there is certainly not 'overwhelming evidence' that they are.

But not the Gospels, which is actually the important part.

The rest of what you say is elementary and has been rehashed here many, many times. There is overwhelming evidence for the fact that Christians existed in the Roman Empire, and for the fact that they believed what they believed. So much so that no-one disputes it.

That is not the same as evidence that what they believed is or was true.

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 09:48
 qoute-Even when I was a believer, I always had a lot of problem with the awkward way the concept of the Holy Trinity was presented to me and defended by those who talked it. As a result, even while I was leading Bible study groups, I always secretly wished no one would ask me detailed questions on this concept because I wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about. As far as I know, the concept of "Trinity" is one of the most key concepts in Christianity that do not have a clear scriptural basis and it is definitely a subsequent theological "add-on".

I think they got from  john 17
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeConcordance and Hebrew/Greek LexiconList Audio, Study Tools, Commentaries
HymnsVersions / TranslationsDictionary Aids
Jhn 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeConcordance and Hebrew/Greek LexiconList Audio, Study Tools, Commentaries
No Images or Hymns AvailableVersions / TranslationsDictionary Aids
Jhn 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

To me
The trinity is god ,jesus and the holy spirit ( us) all having the same mind  perfected into one
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 14:36
To me, Jesus Christ was just an ordinary human MAN who once existed and became famous for being outspoken and daring to go against the grain of society at that time. He was probably a well-spoken, intelligent salesman and was able to mesmerize the weak and vulnerable, the disabled, and all those who needed someone to speak on their behalf. Just as occurs in our society today, upon attaining too much notoriety, he was, ultimately, crushed by the very same people who placed him on the pedestal. He must have been a great communicator and obviously had great marketing skills. I would have loved the opportunity to interview him. I think of his disciples as his press agents, and may I add what a great job they all did! Keeping in mind how superstitious society was back then, Im sure all his disciples greatly used that to their advantage in their awe-inspiring tales.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 21:43

Originally posted by gcle2003

Where does he proclaim himself to be God? I can't find it in my copies of the Gospels.

That apart, how does someone proclaiming himself God prove that he is?

Ironically, it is precisely the declaration that "He Is" that was often cited as one of the claims that Jesus is God. It is an allusion to the "I Am" of the Old Testament. Also, as I recall there is something in there about "All the things that the Father has are mine," as well as the passage in John where Christ prays for the Apostles to abide in Him as He coabides with the Father, which docyabut cited. Whether or not we believe it is a matter of faith (or choice if you prefer).

I don't have my bible with me, so I hope you'll forgive me for not providing verses. I you like, I could pm them to you the next time I am on. On a side note, I apologize for although I don't know when that will be.

Sorry, but I just ducked in and scrolled down to that particular quote. I don't have time to give this discussion the thought it deserves at present (as evidenced by my shoddy paraphrasing. Here's to praying for more hours in the day! Wink

-Akolouthos

A Quick Addendum: The Trinity was always implicit in Christian theology, and was dogmatically proclaimed by the first two Ecumenical Councils, Nicaea (325) and Constantinople (381), as a response to the Arian, Anomoean/Eunomian (more Arian than Arius), and Pneumatomachian heresies. New heresies arose in the course of the discussions--Appolinarianism (more Nicene than Nicaea*), Homoeism, etc.

The Nicene creed, which many believe to be adopted from the baptismal formula of the Church of Jerusalem, elaborates on the call of Christ to baptize in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

*I took that phrase from somewhere, and I forget the exact source. Perhaps John Behr?

Edited by Akolouthos - 18-Jul-2006 at 21:45
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 00:25
qoute- as well as the passage in John where Christ prays for the Apostles to abide in Him as He coabides with the Father, which docyabut cited.

it was not only the Apostles alone but the future believers.

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
Jhn 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
Jhn 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
Jhn 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 00:32

John 17-20

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;.
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 00:38
And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
Jhn 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
Jhn 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
Jhn 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>