Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God
    Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 05:47
Originally posted by Tobodai

Because by the admission of even my Muslim proffessor who studies the religion of Islam, much was written after the fact, as it was indeed not written down for some time. Furthermore predicting a winner of a war is always a 50-50 bet.  And many pre modern cultures thought differently than we do now.  One can find a billion cultures with a billion ideas of how mountains are rooted.  I know for example that many Native American cultures viewed mountains as havinf very deep roots.  Many other cultures dont think that at all.  You have a million different folk tales about something origins and eventually youll find a few that happen to be right.

I don't know who your professor was, but that is just wrong. The Koran was narrated by Muhammed (pbuh) to his literate compainions over a 20 year period. Before Muhammeds (pbuh) death, it was double checked twice for errors and has not changed since. If you find  Koran from 700CE, 1500CE or today, they would be identical.
Predicting the winner of that war in 616 was much more a 95-5 bet, in favour of the persians. The romans had been completely smashed, as you would need to be if you were to loose the bulk of your territory and population.
If it is a coincidence that the Koran accurately describes mountains, what about the development of the embyro. The Koran accurately describes the development of the embryo (in the 7th centuary!) this has been confirmed by canadian embryologist Dr. Moore (who converted on that evidence)*
Or the Hadis (saying of the Prophet) that says
If a fly falls into your drink, push it under before removing it.
Counter-Intutive? A study by the University of Cario found that when a fly is completely submerged it releases an anti-bacterial. So Muhammed (pbuh) must have had knowlede of embryology, history, biology, geology, and the future just based on a handful of things I've said
Originally posted by

]
Dr. T.V.N. Persaud, professor of Anatomy, University of Manitoba, Canada says:

"You have an illiterate person (Prophet Muhammad) making profound statements that are amazingly accurate, of a scientific nature...I personally can't see how this could be mere chance, there are too many accuracies and like Dr. Moore, the embryologist, I have no difficulty in my mind reconciling that this is a divine inspiration or revelation which lead him to these statements".*

*http://www.understanding-islam.com/related/text.asp?type= rarticle&raid=200&sscatid=4

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I dont know about the Koran, but the people who wrote the Bible thought the Earth was flat and that the sun revolved around it. How is it logical to believe that they knew sensitive information about an omnipotent God when they clearly knew nothing of something as comprehendible as our own world?  So, if they clearly knew nothing of how earth functioned, how is it feasible that they knew how God functioned? That's one of the things I can't seem to stomach.

This actually leads to the difference between Islam and Christianity. Muslims beleive that Jesus (pbuh) was a Prophet and that the religon he preached was the same as Islam. The bible however was written in 325 CE in the 1st occumencal council of Nicea, which was chaired by the Emperor Constantine, who never truely converted to Christianity.* He mearly joined it as he would join the temple of Jupitor or Venus. That means that there was 300 for other beliefs to enter christianity before it was finally written down. One of the things they did was to adopt  Aristotiles teachings that the world was flat. Jesus never said the world was flat.

*George Ostrogorsky, "History of the Byzantine State"

Originally posted by Kubrat

So, what if God created the Universe old?  With fossils, developed life, and an ecological system?

Although possible that God created the universe old I disagree that it is necessay at all. God says that he created the world in 6 days, but a day unto Allah may be 50000 years unto us. Or a 600000, or a billion. The timescale isn't important more that it is 6 great epochs. On the 7th day Christian say He rested, but the Koran says that God enshrined himself over the Laws that govern the Universe. This I believe is the first mention of the fact that Laws govern the Universe, and it is early muslims who are considered the pioneers of modern science.

Originally posted by Ahmed the Fighter

I want from you to prove it like a theory.

I agree. I'm up for a rational debate.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 07:21
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Or the Hadis (saying of the Prophet) that says
If a fly falls into your drink, push it under before removing it.
Counter-Intutive? A study by the University of Cario found that when a
fly is completely submerged it releases an anti-bacterial. So Muhammed
(pbuh) must have had knowlede of embryology, history, biology, geology,
and the future just based on a handful of things I've said

Are you serious? That could be common knowledge - you do NOT have to know about bacteria to learn something like that empirically. There numerous "folk medicines" from old times that work as well as modern medicines - that certainly does not mean they had the knowledge of bacteria, virus and whatnot.
Furthermore a discussion is pointless since you believe Mohammed wrote it all, and I don't believe that for a second, so ther is nothing to base a debate on.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 08:13
According to Wikipedia, the Quran as we know it was compiled in its modern form by Caliph Uthman c. 650 CE:

One of Uthman's actions, controversial at the time, is now the act for which he is remembered. He headed a committee that established the basic text of the Qur'an. Various Muslim centers, like Kufa and Damascus, had begun to develop their own traditions for reciting and writing down the Qur'an. Uthman feared that the nascent Islamic empire would fall apart in religious controversy if it did not have a sacred text recognized by everyone. Sometime during the end of his reign, the committee produced a text. Uthman had it copied and sent copies to each of the Muslim cities and garrison towns, commanding that variant versions of the Qur'an be destroyed, and only his version used. Many devout believers believed that his actions were high-handed and accused Uthman of tampering with the sacred book.

It also mentions that some non-Muslim scholars suggest it was compiled in an even later date, but this position is strongly controversial.

Some recent findings of old Qurans point in the direction that it was actually homogenaized by Uthman, as the divergences are the same ones that the Muslims of that time whined about.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 10:29

I never had access to the Koran so I can't say something about it. But the arguments I saw here lead me to the conclusion that the same inconsitency that the Christians show goes with the muslims too. Something like "Islam is not against science". Well, Christians don't say that they are against science, they just say that the Bible (OT, NT, both, whatever) is right. Bassically there are no differences here, the same concept: "I believe in God so God must exist".

Both God and Allah seem to be identically iresponsible. They created this Universe and mankind and didn't even bother to make certain that we are sure about this. Such kind of Gods are like our former Ceausescu, his political speech was about freedom, progress, happines, devoution, equity, etc., yet he was a ruthless dictator.

This kind of Gods, if they exist, are to be challenged, defeated and punished for the suffering they've let the people endure, when they could have stopped it.  To have the power to spare innocents from pain yet not to do it makes me think of them as some kind of sofisticated sadistic demons.

A Deist God, I might accept, a Theist one, never.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 13:43

I have some questions for all the devout types out there:

1. If God is omnipotent and omniscient, and supposedly above human emotions, then why should he care whether we worship it or not?

2. If God created the universe, and God is omnipotent and omniscient, then why is the universe imperfect? Why are humans imperfect, expecially if we "are created in his own image"?

3. Most religions are oriented around the central notion of sacrifice. Worship more often than not consists of either making a sacrifice (an offering of money, food, an animal, even a human), or celebrating a sacrifice (the crucifixion of Jesus for example). Why is a sacrifice necessary? Why should God demand a sacrifice?

4. Why should God choose to reveal him/her/itself through such a convoluted means as revealing himself or inspiring some chosen persons to write a sacred text (the Bible, Koran, Torah, Bhagavad Gita, etc.) at only one point in time, and then have those people preaching the message to everyone else? If God is omnipotent and concerned with the humans worshipping it, why wouldn't he/she/it choose a more direct way to reveal his/her/its message, to a large audience and continously for that matter? Why choose a way which is subject to distortion and interpretation?

5. Why is one form of worship better than another for God? Refer to question #1.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 14:18

1) An image created by religions, or perhaps he's just an ego-maniac like the rest of us

2) You don't think the universe is perfect enough? It follows set laws after all (which if you refer to my last post is what science is, the study of those laws). I believe him to be the creator, not a controller, of course he could if he wanted to, but he remains the creator.

3) I don't think it's nessesary, it's just nice to be thankful every now and then

4) I see this as the differences in ways people percieve him. Do they all not teach the same thing? But as i sad before, im not sure whether religion is merely a culture or not,  but hey, to each his own.

5) refer to 1)

Kynsi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kynsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

The thing about believers of God is that you can't rationalize with
them. You can discuss science with some of them and they are more or
less fine about that but whenever you say there is no God, he brings
you nonsense arguments like "If you haven't seen God, how can you say
he isn't real." and then he grins you in the face and walks away like
bloody Aristotle, attaching himself to that thin line of absurdity.

I know what you mean.
From another forum I plagiarize a comment which sums it perfectly: "Debating with a christian is like playing chess with a pigeon. First he knocks down all the pieces. Then he craps on the board and flies to tell he's friends that he won the game"

(this is hjuumour)
If you keep one eye on the past then you are blind in one eye, but if you
forget the past then you are blind in both eyes -old russian saying
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 14:49
Originally posted by Mila

Originally posted by strategos

[QUOTE=Fort Brooklyn]

One thing I really love about Islam is the way that science continuosly works to prove the Qu'oran correct. I've often heard arguements between atheists and christians, where the atheists are trying to use science to disprove God, and have thought that not one of the arguements they are using does anything except to strenghten Islam.

And how does science do this? What does atheists trying to disprove Christianity have to do with strenthening Islam?

Evolution, for example.

The Bible says God created the world in 7 days, and man was simply created as he was. Science suggests otherwise.

The Koran says God created man from water, in various stages. Which many interpret to mean evolution.

There are hundreds of little...at the very least circumstantial...points like this.

The Koran says God created the universe suddenly and it is still explanding - big bang? And we know the galaxies are growing farther apart.

Little things like that.

Definetly the Qu'ran is full of scientific fact. 

Beside that I love that avatar - Anes aka Komsiluk Boy send me that pic earlier lol.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 14:53

Originally posted by Kynsi

I know what you mean.
From another forum I plagiarize a comment which sums it perfectly: "Debating with a christian is like playing chess with a pigeon. First he knocks down all the pieces. Then he craps on the board and flies to tell he's friends that he won the game"

(this is hjuumour)

Can't say it better myself!!! And it's hilarious too

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:08

Originally posted by Fort Brooklyn

Not a believer in any man-made faith,

lol. Me neither. I'm a muslim.

Edited by gcle2003
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:12

Originally posted by Maju

According to Wikipedia, the Quran as we know it was compiled in its modern form by Caliph Uthman c. 650 CE:

One of Uthman's actions, controversial at the time, is now the act for which he is remembered. He headed a committee that established the basic text of the Qur'an. Various Muslim centers, like Kufa and Damascus, had begun to develop their own traditions for reciting and writing down the Qur'an. Uthman feared that the nascent Islamic empire would fall apart in religious controversy if it did not have a sacred text recognized by everyone. Sometime during the end of his reign, the committee produced a text. Uthman had it copied and sent copies to each of the Muslim cities and garrison towns, commanding that variant versions of the Qur'an be destroyed, and only his version used. Many devout believers believed that his actions were high-handed and accused Uthman of tampering with the sacred book.

It also mentions that some non-Muslim scholars suggest it was compiled in an even later date, but this position is strongly controversial.

Some recent findings of old Qurans point in the direction that it was actually homogenaized by Uthman, as the divergences are the same ones that the Muslims of that time whined about.

dont see whats your point there, the Quran was written in different methods but not in a one book when prophet Mohammed was Alive, he memorized it and never forget anything from it so people didnt think of putting the Quran in one book, and when the prophet sends Governors to the new states entered Islam he sents people who memorized the Quran as a whole to teach the people.

when the Prophet died the first Caliph Abu Baker ordered the collection of all the written papers, leathers , stones ..etc of the different chapters of the Quran, and kept these as reference for the future ( he as most of the Prophet companion did memorize the Quran from the time of the prophet and they didnt need a written reference)

the Secon Caliph Omar expanded the Islamic Empire and covered Egypt and persia and syria and palistine many of the Quran memorizers died the Thrid Caliph Uthman thought of putting all the chapters in One book to save it for the Future , so he asked the Prophet's Companions who memorized the Quran to gather to Ensure that the Quran will be put in one book exactly as the prophet said it without having anything less or anything more added to it.

when the book was completed with the complete texts of the Quran, the remaining fragments which some states had ( some aren't complete) were ordered to be destroyed by burning to avoid any confusions that may accure in the future from people not knowing the Complete version of the Quran.

So Caliph Uthman didnt write the Quran all he did is putting it in one book.

the Shiea branch of Islam do belive that the Quran is missing one chapter which they belive its the Chapter God appoint Ali as the successor after the prophet. other than that AFAIK all muslims belive that the Quran is the same from the Prophet time and it was not changed. and God saving it from corruption.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

1) An image created by religions, or perhaps he's just an ego-maniac like the rest of us

2) You don't think the universe is perfect enough?

Nowhere near. I could think of a stack of ways of improving it if I had the power to do so. An omnipotent God would have the power, so could do it easily. An omnipotent God could so arrange things that it was unnecessary for anyone to have cancer, just for starters.

God, in the  Abrahamic religions anyway, is supposed to be omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent. All-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving.

The existence of suffering demonstrates the impossibility of it being all three. 

And, going back to the start of the thread, the idea that Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu, or Ahura Mazda and Ahriman, or Set, Amun, Ptah, Osiris and Isis, or Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca, Ometecuhtli and Omecihuatl, let alone Baron Samedi and his crowd, are all 'really the same God', seems to me ridiculous.

(Though incidentally all of those religions have no difficulty with the existence of evil and suffering, since they don't conceive of an all-powerful god, let alone an all-loving one.)

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by Decebal

I have some questions for all the devout types out there

I'm not exactly devout but I will try to answer anyhow:

1. If God is omnipotent and omniscient, and supposedly above human emotions, then why should he care whether we worship it or not?

"He" actually doesn't care. The only thing, if any, that can benefit God somehow and only in regard to our material plane is that we, as individuals and as collective, are better. The problem comes when we try to define what's "better", so let it be.

In the case of the lesser religions, worshipping is a mean for the people to control the sects to gain power over the believers: if God is to be worshipped and obeyed, they, who are somehow closer to God in their sect's scale, will have more preeminence over the masses and even the "earthly" powerful ones.

Priests and equivalents just get power from all that. With this I don't mean that there is no honest speiritual seekers among them but they also gain power and power corrupts.

2. If God created the universe, and God is omnipotent and omniscient, then why is the universe imperfect? Why are humans imperfect, expecially if we "are created in his own image"?

In fact God didn't create the Universe: God is/was/will be the Universe. The Universe is perfect, just that you see it through partial eyes: you are a manifestation of God but you are not a total manifestation of God but a partial one. God can be understood to be pure only in the very small (essence) and the very big (whole) but in the intermediate scales, significatively our 3+iD Universe and particularly your subjectve perception of it, you may feel it unperfect because it is like the white light when it breaks up in the rainbow: is is fractioned: it is everywhere and nowhere in it. You as "red" maybe don't like much "green" or "purple" but you are essentilly one with them anyhow.

We aren't imperfect, just fractal.

3. Most religions are oriented around the central notion of sacrifice. Worship more often than not consists of either making a sacrifice (an offering of money, food, an animal, even a human), or celebrating a sacrifice (the crucifixion of Jesus for example). Why is a sacrifice necessary? Why should God demand a sacrifice?

I don't believe in the notion of sacrifice, at least in the Abrahamanic sense of it. Anyhow, making symbolic offers may have a deep meaning for the person performin the rite and may be a form of self-discipline that can also yield fruits. What I think is wrong is to believe that the greater the sacrifice the greater the reward: it's not about outer rewards but about inner rewards, if any.

Killing animals is part of the sort of sacrifice that a pastoral society would do. Hence is significative that the Abrahamanic god, the tribal god of a sepherd nation, is pleased with the meat offered by Abel but offended by the vegetables offered by Cain.

But I like more the sacrifice that Tibetans do, freeing a yak in the wilderness. That's more valuable and accord with the true meaning of sacrifice, which after all is nothing but a personal pledge to what is greater than oneself (society, nature... embodied in the concept of divinity).

4. Why should God choose to reveal him/her/itself through such a convoluted means as revealing himself or inspiring some chosen persons to write a sacred text (the Bible, Koran, Torah, Bhagavad Gita, etc.) at only one point in time, and then have those people preaching the message to everyone else? If God is omnipotent and concerned with the humans worshipping it, why wouldn't he/she/it choose a more direct way to reveal his/her/its message, to a large audience and continously for that matter? Why choose a way which is subject to distortion and interpretation?

I fully agree with that. Yet I think that some people can maybe have some sort of personal revelations, not as a message from outside but as an awakening to a previously unknown reality. The people who hear voices are just schizophrenic.

5. Why is one form of worship better than another for God? Refer to question #1.

It is not. In fact that's a common misunderstanding. Green is not better than red, blue, purple or orange... they are just diferent shades and we must learn to live with that. Even if one would be better than the other, how would we know for sure, how would we know if this or that doctrine is better for each specific person? With what reference, knowing as we know that nothing beyond this life is actually known?

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by gcle2003

(Though incidentally all of those religions have no difficulty with the existence of evil and suffering, since they don't conceive of an all-powerful god, let alone an all-loving one.)

This reminds me of a "theory" that a friend of mine once told me. He believes "god" may in fact be "satan" or the source of all evils ... Don't stone me. I cannot take any credit for that theory.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:31
Originally posted by flyingzone

Originally posted by gcle2003

This reminds me of a "theory" that a friend of mine once told me. He believes "god" may in fact be "satan" or the source of all evils ... Don't stone me. I cannot take any credit for that theory.

That's a good one. Your friend my be on something.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:33
Originally posted by azimuth

the Shiea branch of Islam do belive that the Quran is missing one chapter which they belive its the Chapter God appoint Ali as the successor after the prophet. other than that AFAIK all muslims belive that the Quran is the same from the Prophet time and it was not changed. and God saving it from corruption.

Come on Azimuth you begin again, I won't enter an endless argument with you,where is your sources(from shia please).

(( )) [ : 9] 

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:50

Originally posted by Kubrat

So, what if God created the Universe old?  With fossils, developed life, and an ecological system?

My point is, science can't disprove the existance of a God.  Not right now, anyway.

And it never will. It doesn't even try. Science demonstrates that 'God' is an unnecessary hypothesis, as Laplace admirably summed it up. (Or, at least, is credited with having said.)

Belief in God does not help one iota in understanding the universe and demonstrating that understanding by increasing our ability to predict it and control it. Small as that ability still is, it comes from science, not faith in God.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:56

i dont have a source but i've seen a book written by a pakistani scholar saying that.

but since you are a Shie muslim and you deny that then he might be wrong or its only a small group of shiea who do belive in that.

Fort Brooklyn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Fort Brooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 16:24
Originally posted by Kian_the_great

Originally posted by Fort Brooklyn

I am not particularly a believer of a God, per say. To me, death is an lifetime mystery, until I reach it of course.

It could mean the end of your life. Or it could mean the start of a new one. I won't know till I reach it.

Not a believer in any man-made faith, I'm all for science. But no one can debunk what REALLY happens after death, can they?

nerd alerrt

Oh thanks for that. I'm already aware of this.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 16:35

Because it supports their faith many Muslims on this forum seem to have forgotten human nature (although religion is usually a denial of the strengths that make us human).  Because they have been told the Koran was written by Muhammad it must be true, because of several things in history this must be true.  Any real history major like myself knows that any primary source religious or not is usually faked, wirtten later and used for propogandastic purposes.  How can the Koran know events in the near future?  Because by the time it was revised/written/comppiled into one book those events were now in the past.  Christians will claim the Bible is as old as the stories it tell, when in fact we now know most of it was written in the Hellenistic era, long after.  The Koran needingo to be combined by religious and government authorities in an era where many where illiterate should be seen as the suspicious act that it is.

DO you beleive Ramses II when he says he personally won a battle or is a god? No, you wouldnt.  You must be objective with historical sources regardless of if the religion is dead or not.

Furthermore, lets say your god did exist, what would it mean? Would a god that hates women and heretics as much as the Abrahamic god does, even if he could be proven to exist, be worth following?  Would a god be regarded as good whose religions when combined with human government always produce the worst things man can imagine?

Muslims are right to point out that their religion is more relevant to science.  But then theyt must wonder, if that is the case, why was Europe able to pull ahead so drastically? The answer is that Europeans got rid of their religions influencing their governments. 

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>