Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images of Muhammad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images of Muhammad
    Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 13:58

Happiness is largely a reflection of ignorance. A wise man once said "religion is the only reason why the poor do not kill the rich".

In any case let's not go off-track; this is not a general value debate beyond how it impacts the topic at hand; the historical illustrations of Muhammed on Wikipedia.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:05
Infact, I do not care what wiki do but I just dont understand aim of it. I mean, is wiki a freedom fighter or an organization who can respect his customers.

Respect is not unknown word to world. Sure, wiki can do whatever It want. but why dont show respect to others.

I have freedom to spit street but I dont do this because of respect to society. why is wiki trying to show She is free.

Should I spit to street to show I am free. I am freeeeeee. Hark, Puu.

Only thing I will do is, not enter wiki because She dont respect my feeling. Why should I respect her work?

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:29
Originally posted by Gharanai

No you shouldn't tolerate Suicide Bombers instead stand against your government for invading others nations,
Speaking for the US, protests happen all over the US in a large numbers against the War. A new Congress was elected, choosing mostly the Democrats and they were elected mostly due to Americans not supporting the War.
Now, I can't say I've seen to many moderate Muslims protesting the bad side of the Islamic community which infact does stage protests, but they call for death and are anything but sounding peaceful. Why aren't the moderates who are the majority calling the segment out that gies them a bad name? We discussed this in another thread on the forum recently about the Muhammed Cartoons.
you have a problem with people execution (done by Taleban) we have problem with your public SEX (done in most part of west),
Do you mean strip bars? Adult stores? They are behind closed doors, hell in the last couple of years I found out I lived by one and it's been there since I've been a child. You could go by these buildings and never know about them. Even then, just the idea of these businesses moving into a neighborhood are usually ment with protest.
On the other hand, killing someone for and offense against a Religion can not be compared to the example of Sex since, atleast in the US it's mostly behind closed doors and is usually mutual and if it isn't there is a penalty that can come in any form such as bad press, protests, and fines.
bombarding innocent lives for doing nothing (at least those women killed has a case to be killed [ADULTERY, which is also forbiden in Christianity, Jewism, Hindusim, Sikhism and many other religions]) and than just putting an apology for the entire mass killing
No one likes war, and many in the West have protested and specificly pointing out what you just said. But you can not defend the idea of killing a women for having sex with a man other then her husband. It maybe against their Religion, but I believe many in those Religions don't believe in giving the ultimate punishment and should be left for their god to decide if anyone.

I understand you were making this arguement against Richard, but I wanted to answer it because it just doesn't seem comparable to me, especially when people in the West have gone against many of the examples you said, again atleast in the US.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:32

Just curious how many people killed as muslim countries for adultery and because she-he found guilty and how many people killed at western country because of abortion.(I am not saying because they are found guilty, how can a child become guilty.)

So crime and rights can change one culture to another culture. No need to discuss this.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:41
Firstly, the termination of a fetus cannot be compared to the stoning to death of a grown woman. Think about it.

Secondly, let's get this thread back on track and discussing the petition to wikipedia - because we have gone way off the subject. If anyone wishes to start a new thread on these other topics, be my guest.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:45
Sorry Constatine, posted after you, I'll delete this message. My fault for taking it off course.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 07-Mar-2008 at 14:46
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:56
Firstly, the termination of a fetus cannot be compared to the stoning to death of a grown woman. Think about it.

why? Fetus can feel.(It is not a stone) So you are terminating someone who have capacity to feel. So age is so much important? At india, people are killing female fetus more than male fetus. So no problem for you?  After all it is fetus.

Okey, Lets turn topic back. Someone can defend it for the sake of true knowledge.But pictures have no relation with true knowledge about Muhammet(SAV). They are not teaching anything about Muhammed(SAV). So I cannot see any reason to put this pictures and I do not think I should repeat why Wiki should not put this pictures.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:02
Originally posted by Mortaza

why? Fetus can feel.(It is not a stone) So you are terminating someone who have capacity to feel. So age is so much important? At india, people are killing female fetus more than male fetus. So no problem for you?  After all it is fetus.

Okey, Lets turn topic back. Someone can defend it for the sake of true knowledge.But pictures have no relation with true knowledge about Muhammet(SAV). They are not teaching anything about Muhammed(SAV). So I cannot see any reason to put this pictures and I do not think I should repeat why Wiki should not put this pictures.

If someone wants to open another topic on whether aborting fetuses is worse than killing grown adults, I will respond to your first point.

Regarding the second point. Let's say I want to find some information on how Persian Muslims understood Muhammad centuries ago. Pictures such as the ones shown on wikipedia would help me gain greater knowledge and understanding of the Islamic world, because such a picture is an Islamic attempt to express the ideal of Muhammad.

I don't think wikipedia is attempting to insult Muslims at all. I think they are doing what they have always tried to do: open up a world of knowledge to people everywhere. And doing that can only help create understanding between peoples, which is a very good thing.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:11

Infact, I do not care what wiki do but I just dont understand aim of it. I mean, is wiki a freedom fighter or an organization who can respect his customers.

Respect is not unknown word to world. Sure, wiki can do whatever It want. but why dont show respect to others.

I have freedom to spit street but I dont do this because of respect to society. why is wiki trying to show She is free.

Only thing I will do is, not enter wiki because She dont respect my feeling. Why should I respect her work?

Because you expect respect to the point where it not only protects your emotions but also impacts others and forces them to read an encyclopedia that is censored to comply with a religious doctrine that isn't even their own.

These images were made by Muslims, they are a part of the Islamic heritage and therefore belong in an encyclopedia for all who to see, should they want to. To draw an analogy we could imagine that me and some friends established a cult worshipping some historical figure and banned all depictions of him; would it be acceptable for us to say that no one else had a right to look at depictions of this person, and that if they did they were being disrespectful towards our religion? This is hypersensitive to the extent that it oppresses others.

Okey, Lets turn topic back. Someone can defend it for the sake of true knowledge.But pictures have no relation with true knowledge about Muhammet(SAV). They are not teaching anything about Muhammed(SAV).

It teaches the truth about artistic traditions.

Edited by Reginmund - 07-Mar-2008 at 15:13
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:12

Regarding the second point. Let's say I want to find some information on how Persian Muslims understood Muhammad centuries ago. Pictures such as the ones shown on wikipedia would help me gain greater knowledge and understanding of the Islamic world, because such a picture is an Islamic attempt to express the ideal of Muhammad.

And then open a topic about this. It has no relation with prophet.  As you said, It has relation with islamic world and persian expression about prophet. do It has any relation with real Muhammed (SAV).

I don't think wikipedia is attempting to insult Muslims at all. I think they are doing what they have always tried to do: open up a world of knowledge to people everywhere. And doing that can only help create understanding between peoples, which is a very good thing.

They are doing it very rude and This is not creating understanding between peoples but She is harming my feeling without a good reason.

I am not waiting that they should follow my religion but I can wait some respect. If someone does not show respect to me, I reply same way.

So no need to try to show muslims, protesting Wiki is wrong.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:16
I still don't understand the tried and true tradition of walking away from something that can't possibly hurt someone. You in this post above won't even call it a picture of Muhammed, if thats the case, why let it bother you? You obviously believe it doesn't give a true representation, yet the picture is still History and show a tradition and style of the past. Wikipedia is ment for learning, it doesn't mean it's going to be PC all the time, if it was then we'd never get the facts of history.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:18
These images were made by Muslims, they are a part of the Islamic heritage and therefore belong in an encyclopedia for all who to see, should they want to.

Yes, they are belong to islamic heritage. They are not belong to Muhammed (SAV). Noone is protesting persian images about prophet. If they are pictures of real Muhammed, I can understand this but they have no relation with real one.(SearchandDestroy I think, this is an answer for your argument too.)

Noone say, ignore this pictures or censor them. Just show them at appropriate place and do not show your freedom with treating rude to me.

Find another way. (Infact this is becoming boring, treating rude and then saying this is freedom, bla bla bla.)

By the way, I agree aim of Wiki(Unlike the newspaper) is not disrespect to muslims but this is still what she is doing.

Edited by Mortaza - 07-Mar-2008 at 15:24
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:27

And then open a topic about this. It has no relation with prophet.  As you said, It has relation with islamic world and persian expression about prophet. do It has any relation with real Muhammed (SAV).

Yes, I can open a topic on it because I'm a member of All Empires. But what if the person needing information doesn't know about our forum? What if they want the information now, instead of waiting days for people to respond? What if no one on the forum has enough knowledge about medieval Persian artistic depictions of Muhammad to respond?

And the topic in question is medieval Persian artistic representations of the prophet. So an online wiki would be an excellent and quick source of information, besides a proper art history book. And illustrations are often very useful in helping that understanding.

They are doing it very rude and This is not creating understanding between peoples but She is harming my feeling without a good reason.

I am not waiting that they should follow my religion but I can wait some respect. If someone does not show respect to me, I reply same way.

So no need to try to show muslims, protesting Wiki is wrong.

I realise that some Muslims feel sensitive over this issue. But just how much sensitivity is too much?

About 10 years ago, an artist in Australia created a work of art called pissed Christ. It was a picture of the Crucifixion, but it was painted with urine and faeces. Naturally enough, the Christian community was horrified that their God was being displayed in such a way. The painting went up in a museum. People protested, and one person even attempted to destroy the painting. In the end, the painting was allowed to remain.  Pissed Christ was a genuinely offensive piece of art, and yet Christians in the end managed to get on with their lives and rise above that paiting, confident in their own faith. I would honestly have thought Muslims are capable of the same over the much less offensive activity of wikipedia.

Now is displaying a piece of medieval Persian art (which actually displays Muhammad as a good person doing good things), is that really such a bad thing? Every now and then people see something they don't like. While I respect others' right to protest something they don't like, I simply don't see the Persian artwork as truly offensive. And I don't see how wikipedia has intended to offend Muslims. I think the protest to its display is simply oversensitivity on the part of the protesters.

Edited by Constantine XI - 07-Mar-2008 at 15:31
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:37
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Yes, I can open a topic on it because I'm a member of All Empires. But what if the person needing information doesn't know about our forum? What if they want the information now, instead of waiting days for people to respond? What if no one on the forum has enough knowledge about medieval Persian artistic depictions of Muhammad to respond?

And the topic in question is medieval Persian artistic representations of the prophet. So an online wiki would be an excellent and quick source of information, besides a proper art history book. And illustrations are often very useful in helping that understanding.

I mean open a topic at wikipedia. It is weird to show persian art at Muhammed topic. Why dont you find some christian depictions about Muhammed too? So we can see european arts at topic about Muhammed too. IIRC there are some  pictures which show Muhammed as satan.

Originally posted by Constantine XI

I realise that some Muslims feel sensitive over this issue. But just how much sensitivity is too much?

It looks like.

Personaly, I dont care much. Only thing, I will do is not to enter Wikipedia but we should not try to hurt someone feeling without a good reason.

By the way, It is not persian art which is offensive. It is offensive to show this picture under the topic of Muhammed.

I am sure noone will care, If they show this as persian art.( Their right places.)

Edited by Mortaza - 07-Mar-2008 at 15:41
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:45

Why dont you find some christian depictions about Muhammed too? So we can see european arts at topic about Muhammed too. IIRC there are some  pictures which show Muhammed as satan.

Yes I am sure there are lots of openly offensive pictures that have been drawn over time. But the ones we are talking about don't fit into the category of intentionally offensive.

By the way, It is not persian art which is offensive. It is offensive to show this picture under the topic of Muhammed.

I am sure noone will care, If they show this as persian art.( Their right places.)

Ok I think I have a better idea of where you are coming from. So you would be comfortable if, under the Persian picture of Muhammad, it said "A medieval Persian depiction of Muhammad". ?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:51
Yes, they are belong to islamic heritage. They are not belong to Muhammed (SAV). Noone is protesting persian images about prophet. If they are pictures of real Muhammed, I can understand this but they have no relation with real one.(SearchandDestroy I think, this is an answer for your argument too.)
These are images that the artist made of Muhammed in their interpretation, so it's fitting that they go in the article on Wiki.
On top of that, these images are going to exist and are going to be said to be of Muhammed whether Wikipedia has them on their site or not. And education is very valuable, and there isn't any good reason not to have them up there.
I just can't rape my mind around this problem because it's not forced upon anyone. It's a educational site, and if you want raw informing education, there is going to be things that may offend you. If you can handle the idea behind that, then don't use the tool, because in the end thats all that wikipedia is, a tool for education.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 15:52
Yes I am sure there are lots of openly offensive pictures that have been drawn over time. But the ones we are talking about don't fit into the category of intentionally offensive.

what is the difference? Persian or French(or whichever nation) art, We should not afraid from past should we? If you see french picture offensive, I see both french and persian picture offensive or maybe you are over sensitive about french picture?

Ok I think I have a better idea of where you are coming from. So you would be comfortable if, under the Persian picture of Muhammad, it said "A medieval Persian depiction of Muhammad". ?

Yep. They can open a new topic about these pictures. I do not thing this is problem. Because Shia was drawing pictures of Muhammed at last 1000 year. We can not just ignore this.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 16:02

what is the difference? Persian or French(or whichever nation) art, We should not afraid from past should we? If you see french picture offensive, I see both french and persian picture offensive or maybe you are over sensitive about french picture?

Sorry but I don't understand. I don't know which French picture you are talking about. What exactly are you trying to say here?

Yep. They can open a new topic about these pictures. I do not thing this is problem. Because Shia was drawing pictures of Muhammed at last 1000 year. We can not just ignore this.

Then it looks like we are in agreement here. Wikipedia should say "this is a Persian depiction of Muhammad, it is not a contemporary or reliable image" under the Persian picture. That is more accurate than simply saying "Muhammad" underneath it.

I think if they did that, then it would be ok for it to remain on the wikipedia page about Muhammad. Afterall, no one has idea what Hannibal looks like and wikipedia writers have included artwork on him in his wikipedia page. So long as they mention the picture is made with artistic license rather than being a realistic portrait, it should be ok.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 17:21
Sorry but I don't understand. I don't know which French picture you are talking about. What exactly are you trying to say here?

Infact, I do not know If It is realy french or not, but there are european pictures depicted Muhammed as satan. So Wiki can put them too but of course this pictures will offend muslims so wiki did not use them.

But Infact, any pictures of Muhammed offend muslims. (So It would not be much different.)

So It is unnecessary to put Muhammed picture at this page. After all, my aim was to learn Muhammed not to see his depictions.

Of course, wiki can put these picture at the page about Muhammed. Yes, She have this freedom but this is realy a bad cooperate governance. They are giving me a product that may offend me.

If She realy want to show these pictures, She should find a way that does not offend muslims.

Then it looks like we are in agreement here. Wikipedia should say "this is a Persian depiction of Muhammad, it is not a contemporary or reliable image" under the Persian picture. That is more accurate than simply saying "Muhammad" underneath it.

I think if they did that, then it would be ok for it to remain on the wikipedia page about Muhammad. Afterall, no one has idea what Hannibal looks like and wikipedia writers have included artwork on him in his wikipedia page. So long as they mention the picture is made with artistic license rather than being a realistic portrait, it should be ok.

Infact, I prefer wiki remove these pictures from Muhammed page. I agree that wiki is using pictures of other people too but this is a special case. Of course, wiki can just ignore this but well, If she ignore my feeling, I will just use another product.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 17:54

LOLLOL Mortaza, I'm dying here.

Even though my laughter has no bearing on the contents of this topic I still felt the need to share my excitement under my limited spam quota. Please continue the discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>