Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Determinism vs. Free Will

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Determinism vs. Free Will
    Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 02:30
guys, please stop, your confusing me. Plus were trying to find a link between Free  Will and Determinism. I agree with what your saying, people are more likely to do something, or atleast it seems that way. But that sort of information is a given in this cercumstance.
we want to know why something occures, not what it looks like the chances are. sorry. Anyway, going by what people are saying, if you want to no the choice someone is about to make, you can take every atom from their body and near them, shove it in a computer with every mathamaticall equation for the entire universe and you can work it out. then it takes out most of the probabilities (dahm Haizenburgs). I take it you know what i mean.
Viva La Vida!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 12:45
Originally posted by Ovidius

Originally posted by Hope

Originally posted by Ovidius

Oblivius?

Ok, individual disagreements? You say that free will causes you to react to something within society. Basically, I'd argue that you are influenced mroe strongly by things around you than you might think. Be it your parents, you friends, something you read that morning yada yada, those disagreements have been developed by something - They don't freely form within peoples brains.

I think you will find that your actions are shaped more strongly by your personality, which is not always controlled by you conciouss mind. Lets face it, how many women get moody during their period? This is merely an example of how little control we have over our actions.

Sorry, my bad, my mind must have been elsewhere, my apologies.

However, I don't disagree with what you say about influences, but that does not mean we're not in the possession of a free will. It only means that the potential of the free will is reduced, consequently; our will is not absolutely free, but then again, I've never claimed it to be.

No, it means that those decisions are made within a framework, based on a cultural construct and a significant amount of development. Hence why thought processes are so different within different communities/cultures.

Which, basically, in my opinion means that Free will is something we assume exists, but really doesn't. We do not make 'free choices', we make choices based on fairly strict rules, its merely that these rules are very diverse and difficult to understand.

I disagree, Ovidius. Cultural influences and cultural framework both influences our minds, but that doesn't mean free will does not exist. It means that the free will, which humanity had prior to culture, has been anaesthezised by numerous different influences and impressions. Of course our actions are influenced by events and cultures, as is our conscience, but let me give you an example.

I'm taking a stroll and suddenly I approach a crossroad. I'm familiar with the terrain and knows that both roads will lead me where I want to go. What makes me choose the road I eventually choose? Not my culture, for the culture is quite indifferent in this question. And I am alone so I have only myself to debate with. The answer is: Free will.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by Knights

No, it is not HistoryPoi.
We can choose to go against or go along with the 'set of rules' you speak of, and endless variations in between. This is free will. We do not have to follow any 'set of rules' even if they are there, we choose for ourselves what to do.

Exactly what I've been trying to say, thank you for explaining it better.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 19:23
1)Goes against everything weve been saying about causation, which i9s pretty much unassiable.
2)The thing that made you choose which road you are going to go down the road is ONLY things from ur past, and ur current state. That is clear. Thus there is no free will. If you made a dicision out of nothing, then u are esentually changing the laws of the universe.
3) Back up what ur saying.
Viva La Vida!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 20:14
Okay, to get my opinion straight:

Humanity is in possession of free will. This free will has been influenced by culture, yet it has not disappeared. It is free will that makes us act in different ways, yet of course, this free will also is influenced by experiences and society.

Additionally, we have a conscience telling us what to do, and regardless of influences, we would not need a conscience if we had no free will, because without a free will we would be slaves anyway.

Also, we have this human development period that can be called pre-cultural, meaning before culture evolved. In those days, we had no cultural influences to back up our decisions, only experience, and therefore there must have been a free will in that period. This free will has never disappeared, but its powers may have been decreased during the millenniums.

The free will causes us to choose, as we always have options. Of course, again we find influences, but we can also choose not to follow the influences, thus revolting what currently is called mainstream.

Revolutions need not be violent or major affairs, just a difference in the way of thinking. Such revolutions are counterreactions, yet they can not be ignited without the existence of the free will.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 22:37

However, with determinism saying that everything was meant to happen, the idea of a good and just God, an image i firmly believe in, is very hard to maintain.

But if everything isn't determined then that just means that God is either not omniscient or not omnipotent. Because if God knows everything that is to happen and God has the power to change anything, this means that everything that happens God knows about it before it happens and since he's timeless any changes in the action are done before it has occured. (Sorry if that doesn't make any sense let me try to arrange how that came out).

God knows everything that will happen and thus knows all of your "free will" choices. If somehow you make a decision that God doesn't know about (your interpretation of free will) then he isn't omniscient which makes him less than God.

But again, if everything was predestined, free will would be a mere illusion because regardless of our actions, the archaic scheme would be maintained.

I don't disagree with that, I don't see life so much as a test where there are those who pass and those who fail, but more as a journey where we all will eventually reach the same destination.

Of course, human condition may exist without free will, but that would makes us mere slaves, and that would in turn cause everybody on earth to believe in the same God. The fact that humans disagree in this matter, is a great evidence of the existence of free will.

Who's to say we don't all believe in the same God, yet know him by different names? Just like how a nation can have different parties representing one government, can't the Nation of God have different factions representing Him.

In the Old Testament (or perhaps the Book of Revelations, I can't remember where) and according to Jewish teachings, only a certain number of people, 144 000 or something like that (please correct any mistakes) are allowed to enter Heaven. This idea, which I refer to when talking of predestination, makes every effort to do right and follow the Bible unnecessary.

This is the problem when people translate the Bible literally, 144,000 is a symbolic number which isn't a defining amount but has deeper meaning, this is one of those things that "gets lost in translation". It's the reason I find it hard to agree with Fundamentalist christians.

Finally, I just want to emphasize that since this is a theological debate, none of us can really prove our views, so even though I disagree with you, Janus, I can't say you're absolutely wrong (unless you produce some statements that clearly contradicts Christian teachingsWink )

I don't think we disagree on as many things as you believe Hope. My faith is very inclusive if you can't tell and I enjoy discussing things from a different point of view.

And also, if I have misinterpreted your messages, please let me know so that we don't walk different paths in discussion.

I don't think you have, although sometimes my mouth (or fingers in this case) doesn't interpret the thoughts in my head properly sometimes, for what it's worth it's been a pleasure discussing with you.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 23:09
God is all powerful; He created time itself.
He knows the future perfectly - not only that, but has planned it out.
Humanity has the illusion of free will in that it makes its decisions for itself, being completely unrestrained in what it does.
However, anything it does is exactly how God planned it.
This is usually called 'predestination' or 'foreordination'. If somebody religiously objects to this I can back it up with verses from the Bible.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 01:33
Dont bring God into this. He is almost irrelevant. God would be helpful in an explanation of this phenomenon, howveer we cant explain something until we can atelast describe it.

Originally posted by Timotheus

God is all powerful; He created time itself.
He knows the future perfectly - not only that, but has planned it out.
Humanity has the illusion of free will in that it makes its decisions for itself, being completely unrestrained in what it does.
However, anything it does is exactly how God planned it.
This is usually called 'predestination' or 'foreordination'. If somebody religiously objects to this I can back it up with verses from the Bible.

When religion is not supposed to be in this topic, let alone this topic become a religious debate, dont add stuff like that. Mainly because you can't prove it. Prove that god is all powerful, and that he created time, and he knows all of this.
Viva La Vida!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 07:45

Janus: I agree that God is omnipotent, yet I'm not convinced that His omnipotence means that he really has designed our future. His omnipotence means that he can design our future, He is capable of doing so, but that doesn't mean he actually did so.

My interpretation of the free will is not that free will causes you do to actions unknown to God. On the contrary, God knows everything, yet He allows me to choose, to walk my own path.

Personally, I believe that humans have give God many different names, and worship Him in many different manners. But my point remains the same as long as we have Atheists.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in a literally interpretation of the Bible and I'm pretty sure I'm not much of a Fundamentalist. However, that kind of determination is what I disagree with, as do you and thus we agree on that point.

And finally, I also think we have much in common regarding views on Faith, but perhaps not everything. However, that is by no means any problem, since each person have (or ought to have) a personal interpretation of the Word. I have also enjoyed this discussion, and I hope we may continue.

HistoryPoi: This discussion is heading in two separate directions. Those who discuss the Religious part and those who discuss the more mundane part. So even though we discuss God, that discussion does not collide with the other, if you get me.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 12:14

His omnipotence means that he can design our future, He is capable of doing so, but that doesn't mean he actually did so.

But God exists outside of time, so he simultaneously exists in the past, present and future, which means that everything that will happen has all ready happened in the eyes of God.

God knows everything, yet He allows me to choose, to walk my own path.

Yet this just goes to prove the illusion of free will. Are your choices really separate from God's plan? If you reach a crossroads do you turn right because you chose right or because it was pre-ordained you would choose right? You could have chose left but you didn't which means that turning right is the only reality.

But my point remains the same as long as we have Atheists.

People are atheists because they reject God because there is no proof of his existence. I'm sure that if an atheist dies and first hand witnesses an afterlife and God, they would quite quickly stop becoming an atheist.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 13:25
Originally posted by JanusRook

His omnipotence means that he can design our future, He is capable of doing so, but that doesn't mean he actually did so.

But God exists outside of time, so he simultaneously exists in the past, present and future, which means that everything that will happen has all ready happened in the eyes of God.

Yet this just goes to prove the illusion of free will. Are your choices really separate from God's plan? If you reach a crossroads do you turn right because you chose right or because it was pre-ordained you would choose right? You could have chose left but you didn't which means that turning right is the only reality.

People are atheists because they reject God because there is no proof of his existence. I'm sure that if an atheist dies and first hand witnesses an afterlife and God, they would quite quickly stop becoming an atheist.

Yes, he knows what has happened, yet allows it to happen because he has not designed the future (that's what I believe), yet instead leaves that to us. He can do so because of his stated omnipotence.

However, regardless of what Atheists would do after death, the point remains the same. They have chosen not to believe in God, because their free will has allowed them skepticism.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 13:39

When speaking of God's plan, although I'm convinced it exists, I'm very reluctant to claim that this plan is all consuming if you see what I mean. Did God plan every second of our lives? Of course he could, being omnipotent, yet the question is whether he has done so. Personally, I believe not. 

And regardless of what Atheists would believe in after death, the point in this debate is what they do alive. They have chosen not to believe in God because their, in my opinion God given, free will has allowed them skepticism.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 17:19
This isnt about relgion! and choosing to believe in  god is a choice made by free will. Wow, good point everyone, im glad we established that. So becuase u choose something destroys determinism. NO! so this isnt wat its about!
Viva La Vida!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 18:05
Partly it is, but as stated, this discussion runs two separate ways.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 00:29

Did God plan every second of our lives? Of course he could, being omnipotent, yet the question is whether he has done so. Personally, I believe not.

This is the point where I believe we are somewhat in agreement. The thing is to me, it doesn't matter if God controls our lives because of God's timeless nature, he exists far far in the future after we are all dead, and thus all of our actions have been completed.

It is like us knowing that Caesar crossed the Rubicon, could he not have crossed it, of course but that is not how we know history so in our eyes Caesar's actions cannot be changed. If we existed in all times like God, we would simultaneously exist at Caesar's birth, could God have stopped Caesar at any point in the meantime, of course but he chose not to.

This is what I mean when I say determinism. In fact upon further reflection determinism and free will could exist as the same thing. You could say that Caesar's choice was his own and God allowed it. But you could also say God's influence upon Caesar throughout his existence forced Caesar to complete the action. The end result is the same, and so are the processes that led to the result.

And regardless of what Atheists would believe in after death, the point in this debate is what they do alive.

Death is just a continuation of life by other means.

After all when we experience our resurrection we are going to be united body and soul so really we're just resting.

Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 02:02
GOD=ENERGY...

What is god:

Lives/Belongs to nature

Can not be produced or destroyed, it can change from one form to another
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 02:21
Originally posted by Janus

In fact upon further reflection determinism and free will could exist as the same thing. You could say that Caesar's choice was his own and God allowed it. But you could also say God's influence upon Caesar throughout his existence forced Caesar to complete the action. The end result is the same, and so are the processes that led to the result.

Thumbs%20Up I've led that sort of argument before myself.

Originally posted by HistoryPoi

This isnt about relgion! and choosing to believe in  god is a choice made by free will. Wow, good point everyone, im glad we established that. So becuase u choose something destroys determinism. NO! so this isnt wat its about!

What is it about then? Its pretty hard to separate religion and determinism.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 07:31

Did God plan every second of our lives? Of course he could, being omnipotent, yet the question is whether he has done so. Personally, I believe not.

This is the point where I believe we are somewhat in agreement. The thing is to me, it doesn't matter if God controls our lives because of God's timeless nature, he exists far far in the future after we are all dead, and thus all of our actions have been completed.

It is like us knowing that Caesar crossed the Rubicon, could he not have crossed it, of course but that is not how we know history so in our eyes Caesar's actions cannot be changed. If we existed in all times like God, we would simultaneously exist at Caesar's birth, could God have stopped Caesar at any point in the meantime, of course but he chose not to.

This is what I mean when I say determinism. In fact upon further reflection determinism and free will could exist as the same thing. You could say that Caesar's choice was his own and God allowed it. But you could also say God's influence upon Caesar throughout his existence forced Caesar to complete the action. The end result is the same, and so are the processes that led to the result.

And regardless of what Atheists would believe in after death, the point in this debate is what they do alive.

Death is just a continuation of life by other means.

After all when we experience our resurrection we are going to be united body and soul so really we're just resting.

As you say, we are somewhat in agreement here. I believe that determinism and free will exists simultaneously, and regarding your Caesar example, you're quite right. Both suggestions are possible, and in the end it doesn't matter too much, because we will never know in our mundane lives. Personally, I believe in the free will, others may not but the thing is we probably never will agree totally on this subject.

But still, I agree that death is just a continuation of life by other means, but the point is: The fact that there are Atheists is to me evidence of the free will. What happens after death is really irrelevant to this example, I think.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 12:34

The fact that there are Atheists is to me evidence of the free will. What happens after death is really irrelevant to this example, I think.

I don't since I believe that people can be with God in death even though they may not have been with him in life. Back to determinism though, do atheists exist because they freely chose it, or does God's influence allow atheist thought to propagate because some time in the future it will be necessary for atheists to exist in the world to fulfill God's plans?

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 14:13
Ah, I just want to clear something up: I've never said Atheists can't be with God after death, I just find that problem slightly irrelevant.

And back to determinism: That question is extremely fascinating, and I must admit I haven't thought of it that way. But if it was so, that only explains the very idea of Atheism, not why some individuals become Atheists, and that I believe is an act at least somewhat based on free will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>