Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gays in the military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Should gays be in the military?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [80.00%]
7 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gays in the military
    Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 22:06

oh and heres some proof from a BBC study  quoted/based on Pentagon reports about how our idiotic social policies cost the military its effectiveness

Of the 9,488 service members discharged under the policy since 1994, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) said 322 had some proficiency in strategically important languages such as Farsi and Arabic, skills the Pentagon said are in short supply.

The report about personnel losses comes as the Pentagon struggles to meet recruitment goals and keep sufficient forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The GAO said 757 of the discharged personnel were in critical occupations such as interpreters and intelligence analysts, jobs the Pentagon deemed worthy of selective re-enlistment bonuses.

The GAO report said full costs of the policy cannot be estimated because the Pentagon does not collect data on investigations, counseling, discharge reviews and other costs.

But it said it cost about $190 million to recruit and train the personnel. These costs exclude the Marine Corps, which was unable to estimate occupation-related training costs.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 17:51
Eh, yeah i heard about that. But he, those soldiers may feel uncomfortable working around homosexual translators, hell, they might even feel they are trying to chat up the enemy, perhaps its best to go without.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 17:56
Just out of interest.....apart from Alexander and Richard Lionheart...do you know of any other great homosexual military leaders?
Maybe, we could have a "Fantasy Battle" in the amusemant section: Who do you think would win? Gays or Heteros?
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 18:16
Some Byzantium general was suspoedly gay, and i heard this from somewhere the other day, possibly on another forum. Can't renember who though.
Arrrgh!!"
Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 13:36

Originally posted by eaglecap

It is not normal!!!

Im just curious eagle, you mentioned earlier that you were not activly religious, so what is it that forms your oppinions about homosexuality?

Don't ask, don't tell works pretty well all told I think.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 14:20
Originally posted by Tobodai

from the people in the military I have met I would say many if not most are already gay (if they know it or not is another matter) they allow women in the military and they can get hit on by other soldiers, why not guys. Its homphobic to think that it will just cause someone is gay they are out to hit on all the guys around them. For such a relatively small percent of the population gays and bis have a much better record at military prowess than straigts anyway, Romans, Spartans, Central Asians, Japanese, all were cultures more accpeting of queerness than the western world.

I agree - you cannot stop but I still support the don't ask - don tell policy.
I cannot imgaine a gay pride parade in the military. Now, that could cause anger and division in our ranks. As for women in the military I thinks it is great for support but not combat. There are the 5-10% who would do good in combat but most are not made for it, physically or mentally.

but this is for another thread- sorry!!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 17:36
Eaglecap,

Gay men in the military are probably the ultra-macho type; your comparison with females is not warranted. The ultra-macho dude is more manly than a John Wayne character.   
If they lined up for us to pick the gay ones, we would mistake them for sure heterosexuals.

A gay pride parade would look just like another parade, except that some may be waiving a rainbow flag.

Considering that plenty of homosexuals served in WWII and had an active sex life, I wouldn't worry about it causing too much distress with the other guys.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 18:54
Originally posted by hugoestr

Eaglecap,

Gay men in the military are probably the ultra-macho type; your comparison with females is not warranted. The ultra-macho dude is more manly than a John Wayne character.   
If they lined up for us to pick the gay ones, we would mistake them for sure heterosexuals.

A gay pride parade would look just like another parade, except that some may be waiving a rainbow flag.

Considering that plenty of homosexuals served in WWII and had an active sex life, I wouldn't worry about it causing too much distress with the other guys.

I respect your view but I will always oppose the gays coming out in the military- don't ask - don't tell. But if it is found out I also oppose kicking them out. WWII they had to play very low profile because in that period there was zero tolerance towards homosexuals, so you cannot compare that period to today. You view is your right of free expression so I am only stating what I believe.
I neve hide what I think from anyone and even my gay friends know where I stand, but I found they respect me all the more. They are you average gays and not the extreme radicals who want to push it on everyone as the norm. Come to think of it what is normal????

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 22:51
The two gay WWII veterans that I know didn't hide it that much. They were macho-gay guys, not the queeny type. Of course they didn't march around the camp chanting, "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." Instead they claimed that they were straight, but since there were no girls around...

Did I tell you that both were against having women in the military?
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 05:40

Gay soldiers are a very important part of the military.In anchient greece gay soldiers made the formation of phallanx exellent.Because they took their boyfriends into war they wathched out for each other more thatn ever.

In modern times these soldiers are more effective in battle.Also more organized.They do not lust wmen when  they are away from the opposite sex.But thei outlaws could be terrible!Harrassment in the showers eeeeeeeeewwww!!

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 06:16

Originally posted by Komnenos

Just out of interest.....apart from Alexander and Richard Lionheart...do you know of any other great homosexual military leaders?

Ottoman Sultan Murad IV was gay.

Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 07:07
William III (Stadholder of the Republic, king of England) was gay too
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 11:03
Originally posted by aknc

Harrassment in the showers eeeeeeeeewwww!!

I dunno if that was meant to me or not, but since I was the only mentioning showers I'll elaborate. No harassment (eeeewww! indeed) occured - I mean, the guy would've been beaten to a pulp, just slight general feeling of unease.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 11:19
William III (Stadholder of the Republic, king of England) was gay too

Bi i'd say.

Some Medival English king was supposidly gay too.

Arrrgh!!"
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 11:45
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by aknc

Harrassment in the showers eeeeeeeeewwww!!

I dunno if that was meant to me or not, but since I was the only mentioning showers I'll elaborate. No harassment (eeeewww! indeed) occured - I mean, the guy would've been beaten to a pulp, just slight general feeling of unease.

true

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 11:59
Gay soldiers are a very important part of the military.In anchient greece gay soldiers made the formation of phallanx exellent.Because they took their boyfriends into war they wathched out for each other more thatn ever.

As I've said, this is ridiculous, but you don't seem to get it. I suggest you do some serious reading before you post this again.

You are refring to the Symposium of Plato, where we find what all self proclaimed wanna-be historians call the "sacred band of Thebes" and use the text to support their theory.
In all sites I've seen this presented as an argument they all use this "translation":

" (an army should be made up of lovers and their loves)"

When you take a look at the original text you find:
"(genesthai e stratopedon eraston te kai paidikon)"

So, we find the alleged lover theory but NO eromenos= (the "passive" lover according to the stupid theory they support)
but we find (paidikon) that means (a child, boyish, still in use today in modern Hellinic see "paidi") a very common word in Hellinic texts.

The strategic innovation of Gorgidas, was to change the form of Thebean battle tactics. Untill then the young (students)=(strength) were the front line and the older (tutor)= (knowledge) were in the rear.
He mixed them, combining the strength of the young with the knoledge of the old thus, creating an unbeatable army.

To top this off, just read what Philip said, when he saw them lying dead after the battle at Chaeronea.

'Perish miserably they who think that these men did or suffered aught disgraceful!'"

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 12:49
Phallanx,

I don't want to offend you, but all of my professors in the Classics department supported the claims of homosexual activity in Greek armies in the classical period.

You have to acknowledge also the strong homoerotic context fo the symposium in English:

And if there were only some way of contriving that a state or an army should be made up of lovers and their loves, they would be the very best governors of their own city, abstaining from all dishonour, and emulating one another in honour; and when fighting at each other's side, although a mere handful, they would overcome the world. For what lover would not choose rather to be seen by all mankind than by his beloved, either when abandoning his post or throwing away his arms? He would be ready to die a thousand deaths rather than endure this. Or who would desert his beloved or fail him in the hour of danger? The veriest coward would become an inspired hero, equal to the bravest, at such a time; Love would inspire him. That courage which, as Homer says, the god breathes into the souls of some heroes, Love of his own nature infuses into the lover.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/symposium.html

Here is the text in Greek.
[178e] oudenos hs hupo paidikn. tauton de touto* kai ton ermenon+ hormen, hoti diapheronts tous erastas* aischunetai, hotan ophthi en aischri tini n. ei oun mchan tis* genoito hste polin genesthai stratopedon erastn* te kai paidikn, ouk estin hops an* ameinon oikseian tn heautn apechomenoi pantn tn aischrn kai philotimoumenoi pros [179a] alllous, kai machomenoi* g' an met' allln hoi toioutoi nikien an oligoi ontes hs epos eipein pantas anthrpous. ern gar anr hupo paidikn ophthnai lipn* taxin* hopla* apobaln htton an dpou dexaito hupo pantn tn alln, kai pro toutou tethnanai an pollakis heloito. kai mn enkatalipein ge ta paidika m bothsai kinduneuonti*-- oudeis hout kakos hontina ouk an autos ho Ers entheon* poiseie pros* aretn*, hste homoion einai ti aristi phusei179b] [179b] kai atechns, ho eph Homros*, menos empneusaiom. il. 10.482; om. il. 15.262 eniois tn hrn ton theon, touto ho Ers tois ersi parechei gignomenon par' hautou.

ection=178e">Source.

Of course, the translation may be wrong, as you pointed out. I don't know Greek, so I would appreciate is anyone who does can give a literal translation of this passage.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 13:41

Originally posted by Phallanx

You are refring to the Symposium of Plato,

I'm afraid i'm not

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 13:47

Originally posted by hugoestr

Phallanx,

I don't want to offend you

Facts should never offend anyone

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2005 at 06:37
hugoestr
No offence taken, it's not your fault, that these half-wits are titled professor.

Say a big HELLO to your professors from Hellas!!!

I'd really like to hear what they have to say about the arguments presented in the Greek, Roman channel topic "homosexuality in Rome".

It would also be quite interesting to see if these "professors speak the language and if they do, how they translate "genesthai stratopedon erastn* te kai paidikn," found in the original text you gave and I noted before. If you do ask them, please do inform me of their answers.
It's been some time since I've had a really good laugh.

aknc
I'm afraid i'm not..........
Facts should never offend anyone

I'd love to hear your source then and why not have a laugh while reading it. I do agree that facts don't hurt, but you must also agree that ignorance does.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>