Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do Turks think they are so brave?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Turks think they are so brave?
    Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 09:35

It is redicilous to talk about the outnumbered Greeks of Byzanthine empire, and the outnumbered middle eastern population against Turkmens of western steppes. It is a fact that our ancestors knew how to conquer and rule. They made thyeir way from Central asia to ANATOLIA.

Our bravery cannot be defined on paper. We show it in battlefields when punishing them with the God's order. Our bravery lies inside our hearts, and in our history. We showed this lots of times from the times of Huns, to modern Turkish republic's War of Independence. Everyone knows that our great fathers kicked the heavy army of Greek invaders to Aegean sea with their limited sources and opportunities. Everyone also knows that our great fathers also denied the so called peace of Sevres, and didnt let their ancestoral inheritence to be raped by some European "gavur" unification. Bravery flows in your veins with your proud blood, not in your civilization with a single tooth left.

And about this "lose of Ottoman lands" issue. Libya, 12 islands, caucases, and Egypt werent lost during the war of independence. They were lost even before the WWI, so they show nothing about the "success" of our war. The middle eastern lands werent occupied with Turkish majority, and werent included in the "motherland plan" of Misak_ Milli. Also the Arabs werent such "loyal" at those times. So there even didnt happened a war to keep these lands under Turkish rule.

And about the war of Gallipoli. The war was finished with success and the Turks who sacrificed their lifes to protect their country and national honors against rich huge and unified forces of British, French, Anzac and other colonial slaves who wish to reach Istanbul. The war finished in success and by the bravery of "highschool students" all over my country. There are "LOTS" of interesting myths about that war, mostly mentioned by BRITISH and other enemy soldiers, about how brave Turks were and how they fought them with their "honor".

Today, the globalism  gun can degenerate lots of people all over the world, and mostly the people of developing nations, such as Turkey. Our nation wouldnt look like in the old days of honor and braveary in world media and personally. You can look at history in different perspectives, and judge us with differet points of view. But if to realize how brave we are and why we keep on defending our history and braveary, there is only one way to understand the truth. You should have a war with some Turkish men. This is the only way to reach a decision...

Because "Her Trk asker doar!"...

Edited by Oguzoglu
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 11:41
Big deal!And we made our way from the Agean to central Asia and India having to fight a well-organized empire not different states.Those outnumbered Hellens of the Byzantine empire kicked your asses 400 centuries ago in 1821.And they had NOTHING.You had navy,cavalry,artillery and you were way too superior in numbers.You even brought Ibrahim with his Egyptians for God's shake and still you did absolutely nothing!Man,you can do better than that.And in the end,if you are superior,then why Hellas is independent?Because,simply you are not. 
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 12:05

The old mighty God of Nationalism has "blessed" this topic....Nationalism is not a characteristic of civilized people but of animals with 2 legs......

--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 13:59

Present day turks claim their history from the Ottoman turks, so you claiming your history from all these turkish nomads is ridiculous.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 14:40

And where did the Ottoman Turks come from?  They came from Central Asia as nomads.  It's funny how the only people here so devoted to taking credit away from our bravery are Greeks.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 14:41
Many things can be said about the Turks but for sure noone can say that Turks are cowards. As the soldiers they were always respected and still are. If i had to fight i would rather want to have Turks on my side than against me.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 14:45
Nobody said that the Turks are not brave.As i've said,in another topic i think,every country has it's examples of bravery other big other small.But claiming that the Turks are THE BRAVEST is pretty ridiculous..... 
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 16:11
Hi Spartakus, I see that you have been conducting in a moderate way. Good for you.

About the topic, I should say that every nation has clear examples of bravery. Let's not turn the topic in an endless and pointless discussion.

Regards
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 17:03

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

About the topic, I should say that every nation has clear examples of bravery. Let's not turn the topic in an endless and pointless discussion.

Regards

But looks like that Greeks love such discussions. A week without Greeks vs someone else seems to be lost to them. They are the bravest in AE.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 17:52
Hah, such steriotyping. What a joke mosquito
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 20:06

Because most of the wars we have fought, we have been out numbered very significantly.  This never bothered us, we just run towards the enemy without an ounce of fear in us,

This is stupidity not bravery.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 20:11

The most recent best example is when Turkey fought for their independence after the Ottoman Empire collapsed. We had nothing and were very un-organized but managed to defeat all the invading armies, Greece, England, Italy, France, Australia and New Zealand.

LOL, the turks only managed to hold a small  invading allies army while the rest were fighting worthy enemies like the germans and Austrians. in fact we never thought of the Turks as important enough, once the germans lost the war, the Turks are nothing. 

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 02:19
Turks are not the bravest people in the world and the same goes for all other cultures. Saying that you are the bravest people ever is just blind nationalism.

I think that the Greeks who held off the enemy thus allowing their own army to successfully retreat at Thermopylae were immensely brave.
I think that Japanese soldiers who led Bonzai charges against US Marines, only to be mowed down by machine guns are immensely brave.
I think that American Marines at Chosin reservoir were just as brave as any turks in Korea.
I think Russian Soldiers at Stalingrad were Brave.

As I said earlier though, saying that you are the bravest in the world is only showing that you are blind with Nationalism.

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 02:24
Turks were brave they to be look at the Empire thye had and how long they had it for. But about the outnumbered thing, I dont know about the grekk turkish wars but about the Polish Turkish wars the Poles were always outnumbered, and they did have a couple of victories against the Turks...could it be said that Turks success in history was there gunpowder?cannons and such?
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 02:36
Ok for some reason people here are pulling words out of the Turks asses.  Show me anywhere in this topic where a Turk said we are the bravest in the world.
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 04:59
This topic was NOT about  wether Turks were the bravest but facts about their bravery.Every nation has brave people and cowardly people.But Turks were respected and formidabe warriors in the past.They were usually outnumbered.(at least during the seljuk period and the early Ottomans and the nomads) But during the golden age of the Ottoman Empire they usually outnumbered their foes.This was so also in the 17th 18th and 19th centuries.By the way Spartakus when a nation fights for its independence they definitely show more bravery than the invaders even if they are outnumbered.(this was also like that in the Turkish war of independece)
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 04:59
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

The most recent best example is when Turkey fought for their independence after the Ottoman Empire collapsed. We had nothing and were very un-organized but managed to defeat all the invading armies, Greece, England, Italy, France, Australia and New Zealand.

LOL, the turks only managed to hold a small  invading allies army while the rest were fighting worthy enemies like the germans and Austrians. in fact we never thought of the Turks as important enough, once the germans lost the war, the Turks are nothing. 

What defines worthy?Have you heard of the seit onba?I'm sure you haven't...

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 05:25
Originally posted by Feramez

Ok for some reason people here are pulling words out of the Turks asses.  Show me anywhere in this topic where a Turk said we are the bravest in the world.
kouros said that Turks are the bravest in the world but you did not say anything about it.You personally said his post was nice.None Turk cared to say "hey Kouros we may be brave but not the bravest in the world."Nice modesty.
wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 06:18

Heh, many western commentators, especially during the 18th and 19th century thought, that the very fatalism of the Turkish soldier, which some have called bravery, is actually one of his biggest draw-backs. Being careless with your life isn't a good thing.

Also, silly to think that one ethnicity could some how be braver than another. You can't measure bravery and so you cannot state that one people is braver than the other on average. Ridiculous.

Edited by wilpuri
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 08:03

On wilpuri's post - most of the rest are crap anyway - I have the following observation:

I was reading that the main deficiency of the Ottoman army, was it's inability to act as a coherent body with synchronized actions. A prime example was that their rifleman never learned effectively how to perform volley shots. While their European adversaries could decimate an opponent's attack with 2-3 well aimed, volley shots, the Ottoman troops were firing individually, some soldiers aiming, some shooting and some other shouting and charging at will. That kind of individual bravery may be good in order to get the interest of one's superiors but it's fatal in modern warfare for both the individual as well as the army.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>