Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Population growth&food

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
comrade View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote comrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Population growth&food
    Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 13:31

1... Big fish eat little fish? 

Yes.

Do big fish survive only?

Not really. 

Huge, fierce, strong animals also become extinct.   (Dino vs Man)

2....The man, and the Apes might be similar in some ways. But no one chimpanzee can cultivate the erath, grow food, learn to write and speak, think about their future or past. But of course they eat , drink, mate, rear their babies. A dragonfly is not a bee, a lioness is not a bulldog, and I am not a chimp.  ( I would not like to be :)

3... Gentlemen, thanks to the wisdom of  the Man, ( though wisdom, alone cannot solve all our problems) scientists have found ways to grow huge cauliflowers, eggplants, pumkins :) etc. Do not worry about famine... if we just think of the food and drink we waste, we can see how rich the nature is. Most animals prey on others only when they are hungry. See..lions, snakes etc

I bet we could feed half of Afrcia even with the food that is wasted in a buch of certain countries...

eternity is just round the corner...
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 15:23
That food that is wasted needs to be transported across the half the world, which requires energy and an infrastructure that are not always available. As for the giant vegetables, the fact still remains that they don't just magically grow, but rather they convert sunlight, air and resources from the soil into organic matter, and their giant size usually has to do with fertilizers and hormones which have to be industrially processed in currently unsustainable ways. In other words, this type of statement still assumes that the current mode of production can work forever.

Do you know what the difference is between a man and an ape? When an ape looks at itself in the mirror, it sees an ape!Wink
We have started thinking that we are above nature and that we can solve anything, but that's a sure recipe for disaster.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

comrade View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote comrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 15:34

We have started thinking that we are above nature and that we can solve anything, but that's a sure recipe for disaster.

[/QUOTE]

this should not mean that we must not use modern ways of cutivating the earth....i do know about hormones .... but there are lots of  fertile land that is not used in many countries, but being used as residential areas. So , it is us who makes the earth insufficient.

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 17:28
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 17:55
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 18:42
Originally posted by comrade

this should not mean that we must not use modern ways of cutivating the earth....i do know about hormones .... but there are lots of  fertile land that is not used in many countries, but being used as residential areas. So , it is us who makes the earth insufficient.

Your sources of information I believe are quite misleading. The fact, the earth is not a place where you find "lots of fertile land that is not used" anymore. Even in countries with low densities of populations, like my own (Chile), most land is already been used and fully.

Please, get a satellite picture of any country in the world and go to get those "savage" regions that you claim exist! They don't. With the exception of some national parks, of which Amazonia could be considered one, most of the land is already in use.

Yes, you can find wilderness in Northen Canada and Northern Siberia.... but try to make those regions agriculturally productive! Try to make the Sahara and other deserts productive! You will need hundred of billions for doing that, and a will that doesn't exist.

So, take a look at satellite pictures of the planet and I could bet you'll change your mind.

Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 21:57

There are  of course fertile land that is not used in all parts of the world even in Chile.I think that the satellite photoes must be upgraded because they do not show agricultural policies of the countries.the farmers in Turkey(uses very high technologies in agriculture ) must consider the policies of the government(which brings usually bed results) and must calculate the amount of crops that they decided to cultivate.I have seen tons of food which were destroyed in order to increase the prices.Confused

On the other hand most af the fertile lands are being used and still being sold as municipal areas.
In addition the transportation of the foods which would unavoidably be wasted, can not be a problem for any people if they were willing to do it.If you want to feed the half of the africans ...if you just want to ...it is possible you throw to me I will hit them all.Viking

Edited by Murat - 02-Aug-2008 at 22:16
Why should I seek? I am the same as
He. His essence speaks through me.
I have been looking for myself!----Rumi
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 04:16
The point is, countries that COULD produce the food the hungry need they WON'T. For instance countries like my own, Chile, lives pretty much of agricultural production for exports. But here we don't produce cheap food for the masses, but derivated products such as wines, salmon, paper, rough and processed fruts, all targetted to those markets that pay better. In here it doesn't make sense to produce grain in large scale because with those commodities farmers don't pay their bills. It does make more sense to feed animals with grains and sale animal foods, like meat, pork, ostrich and salmons that had a higher price in the market.  Countries like Argentina specialize in growing meat, because it pays
 better than grain. Other like Brazil preffer to use fertile land to produce ethanol rather than exporting grains.

But the point remain. The world is not infinite, and the population explosion will have to be stopped in those regions were people don't listen.

Edited by pinguin - 03-Aug-2008 at 04:19
Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 11:16

Here you see, and you say the potential of the earth to be sufficent ,for human  being now and forever.The earth can produce twice more for the people of the current time.May be We can talk about whether or not we could do something to change the sharing or delivery policy of food and it`s management to reach a more benficial point.  Cheers

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:26
Originally posted by Murat

Here you see, and you say the potential of the earth to be sufficent ,for human  being now and forever.The earth can produce twice more for the people of the current time.May be We can talk about whether or not we could do something to change the sharing or delivery

"Twice more" is not good enough. Never heared about exponential growth? With the current population explosion in SS Africa you will need food for 20 billion people more in a few generations. Add that to the rest of Asia and the Middle East that still grows and you will start to worry.

Better than thinking in producing more food, and make life misserable for everybody, teach them to use condoms and pills. Each child less in the poor countries represent tons of food, materials and goods less per year the planet has to struggle to produce.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 19:19
Hmmm...
Interesting topic. So the earth can feed us indefinitely?

No. Not really. Or, rather, it cannot feed the current population plus more and more people indefinitely.

Our massive population requires several things:

1. Fresh Water, which we ARE running out of--admittedly, nothing can be destroyed, only transformed, but fresh water is rapidly being turned into forms we can't use. Ice caps getting mixed with salt water, contamination, evaporation, etc.

2. Food. We can semi-support our current population because of fertilizers, pesticides, and infrastructure that are ALL dependent on a constant supply of cheap fossil fuels. you can argue about how many the earth can support, total, but you cannot logically argue that we will ALWAYS have a constant supply of cheap fossil fuels. Nor can you argue that alternative energies enable us to maintain exactly the same lifestyle and infrastructure. Many renewable energies require vast amounts of fossil fuels--the currently available energy--to set up, and sometimes to maintain. In addition to THAT, you have to realize that the methods we have been using to farm have lowered the nutrient content of the soil vastly--meaning that, once we are unable to use the gigantic amounts of fertilizers and other agricultural chemicals, whatever the "natural" population limit of the earth is (absent any chemical additives) that number will have lowered drastically, until we raise the nutrient content again over decades, possibly centuries with nitrogen fixers and build up the humus again (IF we ever do that)--the humus being the layer of nutrient-rich organic matter that makes for the largest part of the minerals/vitamins absorbed by any plants, and by extension, any animals. Th assumption that the earth is magically going to support everyone is as absurd as the assumption that humanity is obviously going to go completely extinct--both MAY by some slim chance be correct, but are unlikely at best and delusional at worst.

Life changes, slowly, over time, and sometimes DRASTICALLY, and quickly. We run out of fossil fuels means we run out of pesticides/fertilizers means we run very low on food at the same time as we run low on good fresh water means we experience drastic change means our population lowers means eventually earth's resources are able to support our numbers at that time means we experience population growth means, EVENTUALLY, that we go through similar crisis points and rebounds.

It's pretty much the standard existence of any species. Growth, crisis, growth, crisis, growth, crisis, growth, and so on ad infinitum.

(may have gotten my terminology wrong..I THINK it's called the humus, but it's been a while since I had to reference that soil layer in a sentence)

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 19:59
Originally posted by pinguin

Here you see, and you say the potential of the earth to be sufficent ,for human  being now and forever.The earth can produce twice more for the people of the current time.May be We can talk about whether or not we could do something to change the sharing or delivery

"Twice more" is not good enough. Never heared about exponential growth? With the current population explosion in SS Africa you will need food for 20 billion people more in a few generations. Add that to the rest of Asia and the Middle East that still grows and you will start to worry.

Better than thinking in producing more food, and make life misserable for everybody, teach them to use condoms and pills. Each child less in the poor countries represent tons of food, materials and goods less per year the planet has to struggle to produce.

You really  made me lauged Mr. King .The trends(you explained) about the increase of human population is as false as the satellite photos you previously explained. It is difficult to understand some species in animal kingdom ,although there is enough food some members of a group can not endure or tolerate others to live together... (such as male lion kills the offsprings of it`s own species ).....BUT I accept that they are animals not WISE enough. 
     I am wondering your answer..Would you be a beautiful flower in the yard of the white house(which is  well groomed and a safe place),or a poor but a concious person(wise human) in Chile.

I meant the existence as Human is the most superior level of the life and the noblest individuality in all creatures.

Edited by Murat - 03-Aug-2008 at 20:04
Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 20:56

Edited by Murat - 03-Aug-2008 at 20:59
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 15:19

You really  made me lauged Mr. King .

Laugh it is the usual reaction of childrens. So, don't worry Wink

The trends(you explained) about the increase of human population is as false as the satellite photos you previously explained.

Yeap. So, it is false Africa went from 100 to 700 millions in a century, and that if continues that pattern will end up with 5 billions at the end of the 21 century. Just fantasies people made up.

It is difficult to understand some species in animal kingdom ,although there is enough food some members of a group can not endure or tolerate others to live together... (such as male lion kills the offsprings of it`s own species ).....BUT I accept that they are animals not WISE enough. 

Humans as lions are territorial. Don't expect one group fix the wrong doings of others.

I am wondering your answer..Would you be a beautiful flower in the yard of the white house(which is  well groomed and a safe place),or a poor but a concious person(wise human) in Chile.

I meant the existence as Human is the most superior level of the life and the noblest individuality in all creatures.

Poetry won't fix the practical problems of mankind. Better try to get the nobel prize in literature than enter in politics, sir.
Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 00:19
We are talking about the poverty in the world.The fear of you is not scientific originated.You are afraid of loosig your comfort just like the others.I accept this because it is teritorial.Smile. You had some statistical data,moreover the media you are watching have always zoomed the tragedical aspects. What made me to belive our subject is a reality of the world.It is different from the views.Those all are hidden and camouflaged.May be you know the poorst known continent(africa) has large reserves of gold, diamonds, and copper. Petroleum is concentrated in Nigeria, its neighbors, and Libya.Largest tropical forest are over there.The ocean originated treasures(see food industry),it turism potential.............agriculture sector ....... it has readily available cheap labour,They just need what ????????????I think just the the continent's natural resources would be enough to rescue them from poverty.But Here  I attached a map about colonisation of europe in africa.Look at this if it means ...
For this reason african people do not need to use condoms or birth control seminars,the teritorial people need traing about sharing,and humanism!

Edited by Murat - 05-Aug-2008 at 00:22
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 01:52

Natural resources mean nothing if they aren't exploited in the right way. For that you need to invest and to educate people. Colonization is not an excuse either. Most of Asia, the Middle East and all the Americas are former colonies, and some places had it a lot worst than SS Africa for a longer time. However, all of them today do better. And you can't imagine the effort that mean to progress.

The problem, if anything, is that subsaharan Africa lacked an advanced civilization before being colonized (like China or India) and also the immigrant influx of Europeans (that carried Western civilization, as in the Americas or Oceania) was very small or nill, and it didn't impact in the average people. Colonization has a dark and a bright side, and SS Africa was under European control for so short a time to really produce a change.

In short, the problem with people of SS Africa is lack of education in a large scale. They also lack the educated elites that in places like China, India or Vietnam, are able to make those countries stand. SS Africa is still a place where tribal laws and magic are a lot more important than planning. That way we can't expect a change in the short term.

With respect to the "confort" of my country, it is something it has taken us generations of work. So, I bet we deserve it.

Edited by pinguin - 05-Aug-2008 at 01:54
Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 03:33
I agree with your last statements. 
         Education has both inlusive & exclusive meanings. Human is seperated from animals because they usually need be educated throughout their lives. How can be the method of education of elite layer .(!)They need much more...

Edited by Murat - 05-Aug-2008 at 04:07
comrade View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote comrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 14:57

I still think that following adequate agricultural policies, we can feed the world as long as we learn to share and not to waste.

Nature is (mother nature) not a concious entity. It is a system. It should be guided. We human beings , in our nature we also have forces to be guided which can be achived by education only- in the hands of right educators.

If not, both nature and the man can be very dangerous... more dangerous than any fierce animal.

we need to cultivate the earth, build dams, ....  we need to have right means of using the energy without destroying the system. Likewise, the forces that we have in our nature should be harnassed, handled and canalized to be useful for all. Otherwise....

Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 16:04

Human being is both a functional unit in this system and possess the right to manage and orientate it as well.It is rather complicated that some individuals (or specific groups)  could not realize the principles of whole mechanism then the system works improperly.First of all a person must be respectful to him/herself.

comrade View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote comrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 10:24

Human being is both a functional unit in this system and possess the right to manage and orientate it as well.It is rather complicated that some individuals (or specific groups)  could not realize the principles of whole mechanism then the system works improperly.First of all a person must be respectful to him/herself.

it is very true that by managing badly we are distorting the system which results in improper consequences. But, wht do you exaxtly mean by respecting oneself in this aspect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>