Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fortified Homes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fortified Homes
    Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 21:17
Yeah, but quite some private house!

Tower houses are probably found everywhere in the World, as long as conditions dictate it. In Medieval Iberian Peninsula it would be constant raids by enemy forces that would lead both nobles, richmen and the clergy to erect that sort of defences.

Unfortunately I don't have my pictures from Bulgaria with me, but in Koprivshtitza there are some fortified houses as well. They don't have towers though.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 11:23
Those are some really amazing pictures. Very interesting.

I think the Italians in the medieval era used to have something along these lines, too.

There are also a bunch of fortified houses on the Scottish borderlands, called bastle houses, which were farmhouses built for defense against the Border Rievers and Tories. Here is an example:

Plus there are fortified manor houses throughout the UK, for instance, Stokesay "Castle" ("Stoke" means "dairy farm"):

Some of the early settlements here in North America were also little more than fortified homes or a small group of fortified homes, for instance, Port Royal:

Edited by edgewaters - 02-Nov-2008 at 11:25
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 20:42

Fortified homes in Samos/Greece (East Aegean). Of course these types exist all over the world in different versions, they're not Albanian, Greek, Ottoman or Scot alone....

(My pictures) ;-)

Umm, cannot post picture for somereason.... I'll post links instead:

Edited by Yiannis - 02-Nov-2008 at 22:30
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 20:50
Fascinating and beautiful pictures everyone.  Are any of these late Byzantine fortified houses?  I know that the both the Byzantines and the Serbs built fortified houses and monasteries in the 14th and 15th centuries as the Ottoman advance increased.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12