Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ask the Roman Catholic -- All kinds of qu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ask the Roman Catholic -- All kinds of qu
    Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 19:52
Open-minded or no, Checco, you have displayed a remarkably unscholarly disdain for something you obviously know very little about. To criticize religion--and especially religious institutions--you need not adhere to the faith they expound; you do, however, need to understand that faith, as well as the context in which it is understood by its adherents. If I were Janus, I wouldn't even bother responding to your infantile--and frankly quite dull--attempts to satirize Christianity; after all, proper satire requires some understanding of the subject being discussed. I'm afraid lobbing accusations of medievalism just doesn't cut it. Alas, Janus--as we all know--has more patience than I, so he may keep administering this intellectual drubbing a bit longer.

-Akolouthos

Addendum: Here's a thought. Perhaps you could explain, in your own words, the theological underpinnings of the all-male priesthood among traditionalist Christians. If you could do so sans sarcasm, it might prove a profitable exercise.

Edited by Akolouthos - 04-Nov-2007 at 19:54
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 20:20
Akolouthos,

I believe that Checco is aiming at Roman Catholicism rather than attacking all Christianity. His arguments are not too sophisticated, but the positions that the Roman Church has adopted are not sophisticated either. That is why they are so easy to target.

Today the Roman Church is going through a shortage of priests that is totally self-inflicted. I know that there were times when allowing priest to marry brought negative consequences in the Roman Church, but the conditions today have changed, and there could be mechanisms put in place to avoid nepotism. Let priests marry, and the number of vocations will rise.

Let women be priests, and the number of priests will rise as well. The world has changed from the times of Jesus. Maybe there was a practical reason for only having women priests in antiquity when women didn't have power, but the world has changed.

The English Church has had women priests, and it hasn't destroyed them. I speak mainly about Roman Catholicism because this is what I know. I ignore what are the conditions of the Eastern Churches.

Edited by hugoestr - 04-Nov-2007 at 20:21
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 21:01
hugoestr,

I'm not so sure he is just aiming at Roman Catholicism. After all, he did note that he finds all religions "coercive, selfish, and flat-out misguided."

As for the theological foundations of the role of gender in the priesthood, Janus has already briefly addressed the issue, and in lieu of any sophisticated critique of his intitial statement, cannot be expected to explain it any further. We need not fear; I trust that Checco will be able to dazzle us with a full explanation of the Roman position soon enough. For the record, while I feel Roman theological and ecclesiological positions tend to lack subtlety, I do not feel that they lack sophistication. Depending upon the level of depth in which you wish to examine any one point of doctrine, Roman theology is actually quite intricate.

With regard to whether or not women should be permitted to enter the priesthood, we must take theological arguments into account before practical arguments; after all, we must seek to conform our lives to the ideal, not to conform the ideal to our lives. The question can certainly be examined in a fresh light, but it is imperative that we do so responsibly. Unfortunately, some of the more radical advocates of the ordination of women to the presbyterate have already given the whole ideological position a bad name. There does need to be a discussion, but we must consider the question in the context of the history of tradition. The perspective of the Orthodox and Catholic Churches on gender are not as simplistic as they are often portrayed. In the East there has been an effort to revive the female diaconate, which, though it never was abolished, fell out sometime around the turn of the first millenium.

Oh, and among the many things that have contributed to the destruction of the Anglican Communion, it is hard to pick one that stands out.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 04-Nov-2007 at 21:03
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 05:32
I'll go about this systematically and in the most scholarly manner possible, since here my credentials have been called into question.

As per scholarly references; I've taken quite a few upper level religious studies courses in college; I'm no "Dan Brown" (sarcasm intentional), but I've fairly good grasp of the basic dogmatic tenets of the Catholic faith; Three aspects of god/ divinity as encompassed by the trinity- the father, the son, and the holy ghost- rejection of manicheanistic dualistic/ gnostic understanding of the godhead (no seperation between jesus the man and jesus the son of god)- pope as the vicar of christ on earth- 'catholicism' as latin for 'universal,' hence a 'universal' church of christ (orthodoxes and protestants may not quite agree with this claim)- the sympathetic cannibalism of the eucharist as metaphor for 'ingesting' the true meaning of the sacrifice of christ, both to initiate the kingdom of heaven, as well to open the gates of hell (in contrast with the israelite beliefs of the afterlife as sheol)- need I go on? I get the picture. I'm no uneducated slob with an axe to grind...

As per personal experience: I was raised a catholic. I've been in the system. I've sat through the same Masses and Confessions and CCD classes, etc. I've met the priests, visited the seminaries, seen the cathedrals, taken the Eucharist, and all the rest. So, please, O Scholarly Ones, don't address me as if I were some rube on the street who just missed the point; rather than miss it, I disagree with it.

I find nothing commendable in an institution that promotes sexual repression, forbids a woman's right to choose, and has only just recently made the concession that "well, I guess non-Catholics can get to heaven too..." I cannot condone the actions of an institution that refuses people in Latin America the right to decide the way in which the church works for them (Liberation theology), one which proselytizes about a truth which it cannot prove (for what is faith other than the suspension of disbelief, and the belief in the unprovable?), and looks down upon those who do not accept their version of truth? Seems to me that I'll pass on renewing my membership to that club.
But don't be such a close-minded "academic" as to suppose that because someone does not agree with your beliefs that they know nothing of the subject.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 06:35
Brian,

Well, I was more referring to the theological implications of the question of women in the priesthood, but you have demonstrated a good deal of knowledge about the basic doctrinal points of Catholicism. A couple of things come to mind, but none of them are really big problems. I would definitely use the word "persons" instead of "aspects" when speaking of the Trinity; the use of the terms "modes" or "aspects" has a sordid history. Still, I think that you obviously understand it correctly, given the context.

The reason I took issue with your earlier posts was that the sarcasm generally wasn't accompanied by a complimentary demonstration that you understood where we religious "scholars" are coming from. With regard to the gender question vis-a-vis the priesthood, we need to understand that sexism is not the--or even a--primary motivating factor behind Roman and Orthodox doctrine.

As far as condoning things goes, I fear we do not have much common ground. I cannot condone a society that tolerates a degrading disregard for the sacredness of sexuality. Neither can I condone a society that justifies the murder of infants by masking it as an issue of choice. And while I do not think that we can definitively state "extra ecclesiam nulla salus," in the way it was understood by certain Roman theologians in the past, I do feel it necessary for us to affirm that Christ is the sole path to the Father (and we must be very thoughful in our understanding here). As for liberation theology, that is an issue for the Roman Church; I have no stake in it.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 05-Nov-2007 at 06:37
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 06:49
Well stated. I think, if the conversation continues, that we may find more common ground than you realize. I don't like to like at things that divide people, but rather, those than can bring us together (in a non-institutionalized fashion, you understand). Alas, it's a conversation for another night. Just because we understand things differently doesn't imply a necessary differences, just a difference of opinion. But I think mature adults can see past those opinions and come to common ground, or a least some sort of mutual understanding. 
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 06:52
Aye. On that we can definitely agree. Am I to understand by your post that you do not intend to keep me company all night? Poor form. Unhappy
Wink

God bless.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 05-Nov-2007 at 06:52
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 07:08

I find nothing commendable in an institution that promotes sexual repression

If by sexual repression you mean putting the concept of family above the concept of the individual in regards to sexual matters. The church does not teach sexual repression, it guides us on how to act responsibly on how human sexuality operates. If we were to just act on every single one of our desires then we would be no better than chimpanzees in the wild (of which many anti-religious scholars have no problem comparing humans to). We as humans live in families and the teachings of the church on the matter of sexuality focus on how to create a healthy family. Stipulations against pre-marital sex, adultery and perversions are there to maintain the divinely natural family unit.

forbids a woman's right to choose

You mean the right to choose whether to kill her offspring? You honestly believe that women have a right to kill their own children? Besides abortion is not an unforgivable sin, it's just to commit the act removes you from the church, and penitence is required in order to rejoin God's community.

and has only just recently made the concession that "well, I guess non-Catholics can get to heaven too..."

From what my understanding is is that the ideas featured in Lumen Gentium are just an expansion of previously agreed on Christian teaching amongst the heirarchy of the churches. In fact the "Bosom of Abraham" has been a foremost teaching of the church in regards to salvation since the very earliest church.

I cannot condone the actions of an institution that refuses people in Latin America the right to decide the way in which the church works for them (Liberation theology),

Wait you mean that the Catholic church shouldn't fight disunity and heretical beliefs within itself? That would kind of eliminate it as the interpretor of divine revealations. Liberation theology was leaning towards non-theistic marxism and the belief that Christ is there to fight oppression. Whereas traditional christianity teaches that Christ is here to eliminate oppression within his Kingdom. As Augustine stated there is the City of God and the City of Man, Liberation theology is in danger of denying the City of God in favor of the City of Man and the Church decided to correct the errors of those dangerous ideas.

one which proselytizes about a truth which it cannot prove (for what is faith other than the suspension of disbelief, and the belief in the unprovable?),

I believe that the Church as a whole believes very strongly that it can prove that they follow God's truth, and that there have been many philosopher's that have attempted using logic to prove that the religion is true. Just look at philosophers such as Thomas Aquinas or Kurt Goedel, who have shown "proof" that religion is true. And they have just as much proof as any scientist who believes they have "evidence" for the Big Bang theory or even evolution, and that being faith guided by logical assumptions.

and looks down upon those who do not accept their version of truth?

Because the Roman Catholic church has obviously refused to participate and condemns any sort of Inter-Faith councils, or partnerships or meetings.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 07:57
Leaving god out of the discussion... and to adopt a sociological perspective; the family unit is a social convention. Mormons of the time of Joseph Smith saw polygamy as a "divine" convention... is there "divine" the same as yours? Divinity implies subjectivity, from the sociological perspective. Ancient Meso-Americans viewed human sacrifice as divine... does that match up? Not quite. As I persist in stating, "divinity" implies subjectivity.

Repressing the natural tendencies does not seperate us from beasts because biologically we are mammals, of the genus primate, of the family mammalia of the kingdom animal. The "seperates us from the beast" argument doesn't quite hold up, in light of the fact we're animals. Likewise, to suggest humanity as only pertaining to individuals living in a "modern" or European-normatized society implies classism, racism, and Euro (Greco-Roman-heirs, specifically)-centrism. There are plenty of non-European societies that didn't practice "divinely" inspired family unions... are they, therefore, sinners?

In regards to abortion; a tricky subject in any debate- having had one "myself (obviously, I didn't have it myself, but a girl I impregnated did)," I respect a woman's right to choose whether or not a single night would dictate the rest of her future life. Call it murder if you want. Hell, I'll even call it that too. Call it whatever you'd like; but it wasn't my body that was impregnated, and, ergo, the choice of what to make of that was not mine; I deferred to her. And I fully support her, and any other woman in her position. To call it an "unforgivable sin" is to imply that you can read the mind of a supposedly omniscient being; quite a mighty accomplishment for a single human institution.

The Bosom of Abraham (a supposed boon to the non-believers) only makes the concession that followers of Arahamic faiths can gain entrance to heaven, if I recall correctly, and only at 'the end of days' after however many years in Purgatory (good thing they finally got rid of that, btw), and only after embracing christ before the final judgment. Not terribly understanding of non-Catholic beliefs, in my opinion.

Thomas Aquinas; wonderful mind. 13th century. etc. I believe I've made my position known here. We don't live in the middle ages. Newer thinkers with more relevant ideas have hopefully stepped forward to pick up the slack. Godel I don't know. Can you give me links or sources so I can research the subject further? I agree, the Big Bang is equally suspect. I don't understand the math behind it (nor can many people fully claim to), and as far as I know, no one was actually there at the beginning of the universe to tell us what actually happened; but it makes Genesis equally suspect of fraud.

Recently, the Church has been acting globally in a responsible manner, certain Muhammed-related incendiary comments excepted (or quoting Crusade literature), but the fact of the matter is that the contemporary Church remains a repressive society. What the hell is "heresy" anyway? "Sh*t the Church don't believe in"? The practicers of Liberation theology include Bishops and Deacons and higher... but the pope doesn't like it, and thus it's heresy. How enlightened.
Heresy is another of those ideas I'd have hoped we left behind in the medieval period. How dare other people have conflicting viewpoints?

better to live free on earth than a slave to heaven,
BJC

Edited by Brian J Checco - 05-Nov-2007 at 07:59
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 08:59

Not quite. As I persist in stating, "divinity" implies subjectivity.

Not to me divinity implies the laws of nature and following the natural harmony inherent in all things.

Repressing the natural tendencies does not seperate us from beasts because biologically we are mammals, of the genus primate, of the family mammalia of the kingdom animal.

I don't want to nitpick but just for correction. We are of the genus Homo of the family Hominidae. Primate is the Order we belong to and Mammalia is the Class we belong to.

. Likewise, to suggest humanity as only pertaining to individuals living in a "modern" or European-normatized society implies classism, racism, and Euro (Greco-Roman-heirs, specifically)-centrism.

First off when did I promote a euro-centric bias, or even suggest that non-europeans were somehow inferior?

There are plenty of non-European societies that didn't practice "divinely" inspired family unions... are they, therefore, sinners?

Quote me then on my opinions of what a divinely inspired family union consists of and I'll explain to you in detail who I believe are practicing it incorrectly.

I respect a woman's right to choose whether or not a single night would dictate the rest of her future life.

True I do believe that a woman who robs a bank shouldn't have that affect the rest of her life. After all it just happened that one night.

Call it murder if you want.

I wouldn't call it that, necessarily.

To call it an "unforgivable sin" is to imply that you can read the mind of a supposedly omniscient being; quite a mighty accomplishment for a single human institution.

Originally posted by Janus Rook

]Besides abortion is not an unforgivable sin

after however many years in Purgatory (good thing they finally got rid of that, btw),

Um....no, the concept of Purgatory still remains strong in the Catholic faith. It's all right there are many misconceptions of the state of Purgatory and not everyone understands what it truly is.

Not terribly understanding of non-Catholic beliefs, in my opinion.

I wasn't using that as the sole example I was just using it as one of many example. Point to me a passage in Church Canon or in the Catholic Catechism where it says that non-Catholics automatically go to hell.

Godel I don't know. Can you give me links or sources so I can research the subject further?

Certainly.

but it makes Genesis equally suspect of fraud.

Again as I stated earlier I am not a young earth creationist. Genesis states the moral truth not necessarily a historical record.

certain Muhammed-related incendiary comments excepted (or quoting Crusade literature),

If you bothered to understand the context of that incident instead of taking it out of context you'd understand that it wasn't inappropriate at the time.

What the hell is "heresy" anyway?

Heresy, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is a "theological or religious opinion or doctrine maintained in opposition, or held to be contrary, to the Roman Catholic or Orthodox doctrine of the Christian Church, or, by extension, to that of any church, creed, or religious system, considered as orthodox.

The practicers of Liberation theology include Bishops and Deacons and higher... but the pope doesn't like it, and thus it's heresy.

Historically heresies in the Church have begun with Bishops, see Arianism, Donatism, Nestorianism, etc.

And the Pope's opinion of a topic of Christianity is irrelevant. It's whether the idea is contrary to the Church's core values and dogma that makes it heresy. Heresy is objective not subjective.

How dare other people have conflicting viewpoints?

Heresy isn't like that. It would be like the US banning teaching Creationism in schools, isn't that condemning people for having conflicting viewpoints. Your right those secularists are expressing views that I thought we left behind in the medieval period.

better to live free on earth than a slave to heaven,

But better to be free with God, than a slave to ourselves.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 14:37
Hi all,

I was writing my last post with toddlers jumping on my lap yesterday so I was not able to explain myself as much as I wanted.

When I said that the argument of Checco wasn't sophisticated, what was I trying to get at was that the Roman Church has a series of easy targets and all what critics have to do is to point at them. If the Roman Church didn't insist on making bad arguments, it it wouldn't be so easy o make an effective attack on them with so little effort.

The Roman Church may have some elaborate theological argument to support what are unsupportable positions, but my feeling is that the theological arguments dress up what were in fact just custom or pragmatic decisions from the past.

So the biggest enemy of the Roman Church is the Roman Church itself. And it mostly comes from an institutional inability to change a position once it has been made. Reams and reams of apologetics are created to support unsupportable positions.

And it isn't eve that the Roman Church won't change their positions; they do it all the time. It is that they insist on defending really bad ones with little strong arguments of evidence. Pope infallibility anyone?

Again, my criticism is that the Roman Church adopts bad policies that makes it easy to defeat.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by JanusRook

I cannot condone the actions of an institution that refuses people in
Latin America the right to decide the way in which the church works for
them (Liberation theology),
Wait you mean that the Catholic church shouldn't fight disunity and heretical beliefs within itself? That would kind of eliminate it as the interpretor of divine revealations. Liberation theology was leaning towards non-theistic marxism and the belief that Christ is there to fight oppression. Whereas traditional christianity teaches that Christ is here to eliminate oppression within his Kingdom. As Augustine stated there is the City of God and the City of Man, Liberation theology is in danger of denying the City of God in favor of the City of Man and the Church decided to correct the errors of those dangerous ideas.

Liberation theology was not, as far as I know, single theory. It was basically motivated by the idea that one must work to create bring the justice promised in the Gospels to our world. Some people relied more on Christianity; some people relied on marxism. If there was a fault with the idea, it was its blessing of violence to change things from the more Marxists incline people. But then again, the Roman Church already had had a Just War theory to justify violence for self-defense, so doing it for revolutionary purposes seems natural. That is the like a violence original sin: if you permit holy wars, a holy war can be justified for almost everything.

The reasons why it was condemned had more to do with world politics at the time than with theology. The links to Marxist ideas from some of its members were the main objection from a pope that came from a communist country.

The violent wing of liberation theology deserved to be condemned and to die because of its support of war, which is thoroughly unchristian.

But the idea that we must work to help other and bring social justice through Christian methods falls within the core of Christian thinking. Augustine, as much as I love him, was not a Gospel writer, and this City of God is not dogma. It is just one of the many ideas that fall within the Roman Church, and a nonviolent liberation theology should have its place there as well.

Moreover, with Church blessing or not, liberation theology is a reality in Latin America, and even conservative cities and conservative priests will give sermons about how it is noble to work for social justice.

one which proselytizes about a truth which it cannot prove Because the Roman Catholic church has obviously refused to participate and condemns any sort of Inter-Faith councils, or partnerships or meetings.

This is not fully correct. There has been forces within the church that work on ecumenical union. In fact, Vatican II was an ecumenical meeting if I remember correctly. And I recently learned that a wing of the Lutheran Church and the Roman Church made a statement where they reached a theological agreement, making Lutherans and Roman Catholics share a unified theological belief.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 16:31
I must admit, it seems you all have more theological training, and more of a grasp of the specifics of individual Vatican councils and what not, but I'm beginning to wonder whether this is more about the certain semantics behind isolated policies, or the overwhelmingly stagnant way in which the Church dogma presents itself to the non-Catholic world...
Most of these things take place, but are not particularly noted by anybody other than hardcore Catholics; wile it reinforces their belief that the 'true faith (as they see it)' is adapting itself and coming into line with the modern world- however, I'm half convinced that if this were in fact the case, and the Church was indeed the institution that it portrays itself to be to Catholics, that people of other faiths would be more apt to noticing this as well. As it stands, it seems doctrinal changes come few and far between, and are generally not alluring enough to lure people (ex-Catholics, and the non-practicing 'Catholic' demographic) back into the Church, let alone convince and convert non-Catholic members. Overwhelmingly, Church attendance in America has been on a downhill slope for 50 years or so, and those numbers are even more dramatic worldwide, with many Europeans adopting secularism as their 'religion,' and the Churches isolation of a million or so Catholic practitioners of Liberation Theology in Brazil (country home to the most Catholics worldwide; sorta like Indonesia is for Islam). In effect, to agree with hugoestr, the Roman Churches greatest enemy is its own unwillingness to change and adapt, and this may well lead it to being a thing of the past after a few more centuries; and I agree that if this is the case, and that it refuses to change some of it's more dogmatic ideals, that it will largely be the instrument of it's own demise. Just one more of those ancient, extinct sects, that people will argue semantics about in a 24th century incarnation of AllEmpires.
Cheers.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 19:03

Again, my criticism is that the Roman Church adopts bad policies that makes it easy to defeat.

Give examples of these "bad" policies and I'll show you that these arguements are not so easily defeated as you think.

But the idea that we must work to help other and bring social justice through Christian methods falls within the core of Christian thinking.

Which is why the Popes made statements saying that this was the acceptable form of Liberation theology. They never condemned it wholesale, they just censored their representatives so that others would not take the ideas on a wrong path.

It is just one of the many ideas that fall within the Roman Church, and a nonviolent liberation theology should have its place there as well.

And it does, however one must take into account the fact that we as humans do not know the exact ramifications of our actions, so it may be better to survive under a corrupt dictatorship than have to live in a chaotic anarchy ruled over by ever shifting alliances of warlords.

one which proselytizes about a truth which it cannot prove Because the Roman Catholic church has obviously refused to participate and condemns any sort of Inter-Faith councils, or partnerships or meetings.

Wait hugo. The bold highlighted statement was made by Brian whereas the non-bolded one was made by me. I can't speak for brian but mine was sarcasm, made to point to the fact that the Church does try to work with other theologies and find common ground between them.

As it stands, it seems doctrinal changes come few and far between, and are generally not alluring enough to lure people (ex-Catholics, and the non-practicing 'Catholic' demographic) back into the Church, let alone convince and convert non-Catholic members.

This doesn't explain though why Catholicism is still one of the leading faiths in attracting converts to this day. Second only to Islam IIRC.

Overwhelmingly, Church attendance in America has been on a downhill slope for 50 years or so, and those numbers are even more dramatic worldwide, with many Europeans adopting secularism as their 'religion,' and the Churches isolation of a million or so Catholic practitioners of Liberation Theology in Brazil (country home to the most Catholics worldwide; sorta like Indonesia is for Islam).

Church attendance doesn't necessarily correlate to Church affiliation....

In effect, to agree with hugoestr, the Roman Churches greatest enemy is its own unwillingness to change and adapt

See Vaticans I and II and you'll see that this is incorrect.

and this may well lead it to being a thing of the past after a few more centuries;

If it can survive the roman era, I doubt that the modern era can kill it with laziness.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 17:27
Hi, Janus,

Before going on, let me make a public statement that you have done a great job representing what is more or less the official positions of the Church in this thread.

Furthermore, I like reading your posts on any topic, and I was very happy that you were able to come back I say this because these kinds of conversations often end up hurting friendly interactions even when they weren't meant to do so. These shouldn't be taken personally, but they often do, inadvertently. I want to let you know that at least from my part I don't have any ill feelings or malice towards you or your position. To me most of the discussion is purely intellectual .

Also, sorry for missing your sarcasm. I haven't slept right recently, so I missed it Mea culpa.

I read a few years ago the document that condemned liberation theology. It seemed that they condemned the whole thing, on the basis that one shouldn't be using Marxisism as theology. It was written by Pope Ratzinger.

By this I am not saying that the Roman Church gave up on social justice. The document made it clear that social justice was a keen interest of the church. But liberation theology, as a movement, was condemned, as far as I understand it. I could be wrong though.

I do disagree with your position on living under dictatorships. Having lived through one real one and living through a quasi one right now, I will add that it is not easy or pleasant. Furthermore, if the church refuses to take the side of the poor, the church ends up endorsing the terrible regimes. Unfortunately the Roman church seems to have had a bad track record on this in Latin America.

To be fair, many of the leading human rights champions have been priest in Latin America as well. Most of them happened to be the liberation theology crowd.

As for the points that they refuse to change, here is the list of the most important ones:

* Married priests
* Female priests
* Allowing contraception
* inflexible position on abortion

Of all these, the position on abortion is the most legitimate since it is a truly complex issue. I believe that the church as taken a rather simplistic scientific position, but it is a fair one.

Contraception has been a fiasco for the church. The doctrine of life beginning on conception followed by the idea that any prevention is wrong has lead to many people to leave the church. It is nice for childless men to say that we should have as many children as possible, but as many devout Catholics have told me, the Vatican won't pay the bill on raising them. But these positions are not as bad for the church as the priests ones.

The church doesn't have enough priests, so Latin America has become an easy target for evangelicals, who often have small intimate churches. Evangelicals have done a steady job at converting people, a few of them at a time.

They need more people. However, the celibacy requirement and the no females allowed rule reduces the number of potential priests.

The theological underpinnings for the priest arguments are very weak. The reality is that they are not comfortable with the changes.

Either one of the changes would rescue the Church big time. I know several Catholics who were seminarians who didn't become priests because they fell in love and got married before becoming priests. They tend to be active in the church nevertheless. Make them priests, and you suddenly have more religious pastors.

The same with women. If the Eastern Church can have female deacons, why not the Roman Church? They wouldn't be full blown priests, but they could take care of many of the parish ministries.

Deacons in general would be great for the Church, but I ignore why they don't use them as much as they could. From what I understand they currently can be married if they are male, but I haven't met one in real life.

P.S. Let's focus on the priests issues rather than abortion and conception since they have been discussed before in other threads.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 17:29
What's more important... Church "affiliation" or people actually actively practicing the faith. I'm sure in demographic surveys, I would end up listed as Catholic because of my family's background and purported religion- do I seem like an actively practicing Catholic to you?  A large number doesn't make one religion better than another... unless you're ok with the idea of Roman Catholicism being a "second tier" behind Islam and the combined Protestant Sects.
Look, if everything said by the Church was so easily defensible and so obviously divinely inspired, then how come "heresies" have been popping up since the day after jesus died? One of his own Apostles even found the time to write a "heretical" gospel (Gospel of Thomas, Q & T Scrolls), and doubted the fellow's resurrection until he was presented with the physical proof, in the form of the unhealed wounds of the Stigmata (version told in the Canon, anyway; I actually doubt that "doubting Thomas" was actually convinced, as evidenced by his own writings in the Gospel attributed to him). If the "universal" Church's doctrine was so "universal" I am sure a lot fewer people (heretical movements easily number into the thousands) would have found grounds to disagree with them. If their doctrine was so divinely inspired, wouldn't that stand to reason that everyone would follow it, seeing the obvious hand of god as being behind it? Or are all the non-catholics just poor, misguided, ignorant souls incapable of grasping the subtle nuance and divine perfection of the True Faith?
It seems to me that you're coming from an objectivist standpoint; that the Church doctrine is the truth, the natural order, etc. and the proper interpretation of the random chaos of reality. This was an acceptable viewpoint 600 years ago; however, it had it's problems in grappling with change. The names Martin Luther and Gallileo Gallilei bring to mind some of this trouble in dealing with differing perspectives.
Coming from a subjectivist standpoint myself, I believe that people are all going to interpret reality differently and grasp on to whatever theory (the truly brave will come up with their own private theories) that satisfies them, and then wait to die- hoping, as it were, for vindication (which I highly doubt they'll ever get). Catholics, in my view, are the people who have latched on, or been born into, a particular theory- just as Jews are people who have latched on, or been born into, another, and Muslims people born into, etc.- and the problem that I find with these dogmatic, messianic religions is that they declare it a sin to question the dogma; how is one to decided a 'faith' is working for one if one is called a sinner or a heretic for questioning it!? Seems like most religions seem to have written their 'rules' to ensure that once you got 'em, you don't let 'em go- 'til death do they part from the fold, so to speak.
To me, this does not sound like the path to enlightenment.
You ever question your faith, JR? I'm interested to hear your response.

Questioning, etc.
BJC
Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 18:05
Catholic church does not support and condemns the use of birth control, in any form.

Does this Catholic Church believe that Jesus would rather us have many STD's without protected sex? Yes I believe their stance is "no sex before marrage, then you wouldn't have STD's" but I still don't see why they are so against protection from unwanted births and Sexually transmitted diseases
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 19:16

Having lived through one real one and living through a quasi one right now, I will add that it is not easy or pleasant.

Whether it is easy or pleasant is a moot point, realistically all the church cares about is an individuals salvation (isn't that the point of a church?). Social justice is important because it is meant to save the souls of the oppressors, since the souls of the poor all ready have a leg up on them in regards to salvation.

The same with women. If the Eastern Church can have female deacons, why not the Roman Church? They wouldn't be full blown priests, but they could take care of many of the parish ministries.

We actually all ready have female "deacons" just not in name. How many times has a woman given you communion in a large church, right there they are performing the role of the deaconesses of antiquity. Females can "assist" the priests in performing their role, just as males can "assist" women in giving childbirth.

Contraception has been a fiasco for the church. The doctrine of life beginning on conception followed by the idea that any prevention is wrong has lead to many people to leave the church. It is nice for childless men to say that we should have as many children as possible, but as many devout Catholics have told me, the Vatican won't pay the bill on raising them. But these positions are not as bad for the church as the priests ones.

There are legitimate birth control methods the church does endorse, the major one being tracking a woman's cycle and only having relations when the chance for pregnancy is minimal. There is also a method that uses body temperature as an indicator of when a woman is less/more fertile. These are acceptable because it doesn't deny the possibility of a child but lessens the odds of conceiving. Also as in abortion, using a condom does not condemn one to hell, that is why we have Reconciliation.

Basically the only issue I would argue for that you brought up is married priests. Because it has a basis in antiquity and because as the church has become less of a political organ nepotism is less likely to cause disorder in the church.

What's more important... Church "affiliation" or people actually actively practicing the faith. I'm sure in demographic surveys, I would end up listed as Catholic because of my family's background and purported religion- do I seem like an actively practicing Catholic to you?  A large number doesn't make one religion better than another... unless you're ok with the idea of Roman Catholicism being a "second tier" behind Islam and the combined Protestant Sects.

I made that statement because converts are usually much much more orthodox and strict in their beliefs than next generation religious, simply because the faith has turned the hearts of the converts whereas those who grow up in the faith take a more half-hearted look at it normally.

And visiting church isn't necessarily a requirement for being a faithful practitioner of a religion, so it goes beyond mere "affiliation".

Look, if everything said by the Church was so easily defensible and so obviously divinely inspired, then how come "heresies" have been popping up since the day after jesus died?

Because due to the complex nature of the theological assertions it is easy to make incorrect judgements in regards to the faith. These incorrect judgements are heresy and are in error. The church exists to correct these errors and lead people on the right path.

If their doctrine was so divinely inspired, wouldn't that stand to reason that everyone would follow it, seeing the obvious hand of god as being behind it?

And if aliens existed it would stand to reason that they would have visited earth by now. It is a matter of time, God has eternity to be revealed fully to mankind and so does his faith.

messianic religions is that they declare it a sin to question the dogma;

All good christians MUST test their faith everyday, and questioning dogma is not a sin unless you refuse to try to understand it.

but I still don't see why they are so against protection from unwanted births and Sexually transmitted diseases

They aren't against them per se, but they recognize that those actions can be a detriment to the family and thus they do not fit within christian teaching.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 19:23
Originally posted by hugoestr

As for the points that they refuse to change, here is the list of the most important ones:

* Married priests
* Female priests
* Allowing contraception
* inflexible position on abortion

I noticed you don't have divorce listed on your list, perhaps by oversight or for lack of stringency.

Therefore, my question is:

Is the Catholic perspective felexible with divorce or is the church still dogmatic and stern in this regard? I was under the impression that a marriage, in Catholic eyes, is a covenant for life which cannot (should not?) be severed.

Annulments appear to be a way out of a marriage though. Am I nit picking or is there really a moral difference between divorce and annulments?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 19:44
Thanks, Seko, I forgot that one

The changes on women helping and having an active role in the church has been a change that came from Vatican II. However, I must stress that the level of participation of women varies from parish to parish. This is a actually a sensible policy since some communities are better prepared than others for the shift.

Furthermore, if we already have them assist, why not grant them a formal role as deacons? And it can be the same thing: it can start in those places that are better prepared to deal with the change first.

As of the married priests, the most absurd situation is that the Roman Church will allow married Anglican priests to convert as priest into the Roman rite, wife include. So we already have living married priests!

By the way, natural rhythm as contraception only works for some women who ovulate regularly, and it is quite tricky to pull off. It is high risk, and it is like playing baby lottery. Not great if you are poor to begin with and want to keep a family small.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>