Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free University of Berlin denies Batak massacre!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free University of Berlin denies Batak massacre!!!
    Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 16:54
Originally posted by Ovidius

WITHOUT HAVING READ HIS ARTICLE

Ok then can you give it to me?I'm curious to see what evidence he uses.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 17:36
I haven't read it either.

You do not even know what it says. You are just complaining about it, from a report, from other people WHO HAVE NOT READ IT.

Its the most ridiculous thing ever. You can't complain about something, until you know what you are complaining about! Surely.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 17:40
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 18:01
Originally posted by DayI

In 1930's the new Turkish government had sold/sent many (tons of) Ottoman archives to Bulgaria. 

for Turkish users, this video might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon1dnqXmSs

(there was even a Quran written in 18th century which weight over 70kg!).

That is separate but interesting question. As far as I know the story was as follows. Bulgaria wanted Ottoman archives that were related to Vasil Levski -- one of the most respected Bulgarian rebels. He was sentensed to death and documents about the trial were in Turkey. The story was dark and there was some palm-oil and finally the whole archive was sold as mackle-paper LOL
So, now Turkey obviously wants it back.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 18:06
Yes, Anton, its a programme for this conference.

So this anger is directed towards a title of a paper Brunnbauer will give at a conference - with absolutely no knowledge of what is within that paper.

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 18:08

Its the most ridiculous thing ever. You can't complain about something, until you know what you are complaining about!

I know the aim of the article-declaring the Batak massacre to be a myth which released a massive outcry in Bulgaria.I just don't know the details such as what "evidence" he used.I know he stated that McGahan exaggerated in his report.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 18:16
Originally posted by Anton

I found this:

I see...in this conference they are also planning to discuss that the Bulgarian National Revival period in the ottoman empire 1762-1878 is also a myth.What else?Simeon I and Krum-nationalistic myths which must be forgotten because they cause hatred between bulgarians and greeks?Censored

Thanks anyway Anton for posting this it was very usefulLOLBig%20smile

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Apr-2007 at 18:18
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by Anton

In 1930's the new Turkish government had sold/sent many (tons of) Ottoman archives to Bulgaria. 

for Turkish users, this video might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon1dnqXmSs

(there was even a Quran written in 18th century which weight over 70kg!).

That is separate but interesting question. As far as I know the story was as follows. Bulgaria wanted Ottoman archives that were related to Vasil Levski -- one of the most respected Bulgarian rebels. He was sentensed to death and documents about the trial were in Turkey. The story was dark and there was some palm-oil and finally the whole archive was sold as mackle-paper LOL
So, now Turkey obviously wants it back.
In that video it says something about those archives being sold as mackle-paper but not about Vasil Levski, thanks for the info.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 19:34

In that video it says something about those archives being sold as mackle-paper but not about Vasil Levski, thanks for the info.

Youare welcome. I might be wrong though Wink
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 06:51
MEIN GOTT! How can someone create a whole thread about something he didn't even read?FREE UNIVERSITY OF BERLIN DOES NOT DENIES BATAK MASSACRE!

Edited by Jagiello - 29-Apr-2007 at 06:53
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 08:26
Originally posted by Jagiello

FREE UNIVERSITY OF BERLIN DOES NOT DENIES BATAK MASSACRE!

You just showed that the one who didn't read anything about the subject is you.
It's a project of the Berlin university called "History and present of Bulgarian national stereotypes in the light of the Batak myth.One of the news articles i posted on the first page says it.
And it's main organizer is Ulf Brunbauer together with Martina Baleva.

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 09:19
They dont deny the Batak massacres,but they claim that the massacre was a little bit exaggerated and actually very few people were killed.The problem is that Brunbauer and Baleva made very controversial statement without having solid proofs.Their main evidence are the reports of Macchagan,a picture and a paint,nothing serious.It will be the same if i say that there was not Holocoust.The massacre of Batak is investigated by a few generations bulgarian historians and they proved a long time ago its existence.Facts are facts,evidences are undeniable.The result of all this will be the ruined reputation of Martina Baleva,for Mr Ulf i am not sure.

Edited by Krum - 29-Apr-2007 at 09:22
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 09:30
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

Its the most ridiculous thing ever. You can't complain about something, until you know what you are complaining about!

I know the aim of the article-declaring the Batak massacre to be a myth which released a massive outcry in Bulgaria.I just don't know the details such as what "evidence" he used.I know he stated that McGahan exaggerated in his report.

you know NOTHING. Nothing at all. You are shooting in the Dark.

You cannont comment on something you haven't read.

It has probably caused an outcry BECAUSE no one has read the article.

You know what the most funny this is - Brunnbauer probably is ANALYSING this reaction.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 09:31
What scares me more is that Baleva is Bulgarian.

The Holy Synod of the Bulgarian orthodox church is gathering everything necessary and is preparing the declaration of the butchered people of Batak for Holy Martyrs.I have the article but only in Bulgarian.
http://www.focus-news.net/?id=n692922

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 09:40

you know NOTHING. Nothing at all.

I stated that they declare the massacre a myth and you say i know nothing.Since you know the truth about their aim what is it please tell me?Anton also gave a useful link with the program of the conference they wanted to organize and it fully supports my statement.For Christ's sake...

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 09:44
Originally posted by Krum

They dont deny the Batak massacres,but they claim that the massacre was a little bit exaggerated and actually very few people were killed.The problem is that Brunbauer and Baleva made very controversial statement without having solid proofs.Their main evidence are the reports of Macchagan,a picture and a paint,nothing serious.It will be the same if i say that there was not Holocoust.The massacre of Batak is investigated by a few generations bulgarian historians and they proved a long time ago its existence.Facts are facts,evidences are undeniable.The result of all this will be the ruined reputation of Martina Baleva,for Mr Ulf i am not sure.

there will be no such thing.

I'm pretty sure the statements are based on some pretty intensive research.
Brunnbauers research is in Memory and National Myths. Batak is a National myth.

The problem here is the way in which Bulgarians are showing their Ignorance of modern Scholarship. A Myth, in Anthropology, is not something that 'didn't happen', but is something that has entered the national Conciousness in a specific way. Its part of a victim idealism within the Bulgarian National identity, when approaching the Bulgarians.

I'm pretty sure, Brunnbauer is researching and has developed a working theory on how the massacre has entered your identity - working proof being expressed right here on this forum.

It is nothing like the Holocaust, not at all. Its more like saying that Israelis have a belief in their movement because the holocaust occurred. Something like this.

anyhow-  Brunnbauer is not some sort of Mythbuster - he does not want to 'demythologise', he wants to understand national myths and their dynamics within identities. I think this whole thread is bizarre. Brunnbauer is not really a Historian, why would he be investigating a massacre historically?

His work about Historiography is brilliant - it is one of the best works about post-communist  South East European historical scholarship. To somehow claim that he has gone from being one of the most eminent Scholars in South East European Studies to some money Grabbing, Bribable, corruptable scholar, who writes works that are innacurate, unscholarly and completely going against his whole position. I think that is perhaps a little silly.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 14:23

I'm pretty sure the statements are based on some pretty intensive research.

Brunbauer stated that McGahan exaggerated in his report on what proof dares he says that?

Its more like saying that Israelis have a belief in their movement because the holocaust occurred. Something like this.

Do you realise that Bulgarians from Batak live in peace with the local turkish vilages?Have you ever heard of Bulgarians slaughter turks in the last years?The Batak mayor even said that many turkish women marry Bulgarians from Batak and vice versa.
The massacre was monstrous yet it doesn't force modern Bulgarians to go and shoot turks in the streets(that Brunbauer clown said that it was used to make hostility between modern Bulgarians and turks.)Angry There are many serious problems with the turks in Bulgaria but they're not based on that.

It's not the Bulgarian's fault that  the massacre happened,we must  remember it and honor the memory of those innocents which will be made holy martyrs by the Bulgarian orthodox church in the coming weeks.
And we won't go to shoot turks in the streets after that.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 29-Apr-2007 at 14:26
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 12:56
I've read an article about this and Brunbauer will have a conference at Sophia (bulgaria) about this on 17 may!

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 13:17

I've read an article about this and Brunbauer will have a conference at Sophia (bulgaria) about this on 17 may!

Are you going to attend? Tongue
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 17:18
http://dnes.dir.bg/2007/04/25/news1613846.html

Clownbauer and Baleva cleared all their ridiculous claims about the "doubtfully high number of victims" and the project's name turned from "Is the Batak massacre a myth?" to "Batak-a place of memory" considering the heated debates in Bulgaria.

However the german foundation "Memory and Future" declares that the conference in May won't be made it freezed the project.

Ulf said that he was sad that no one in Bulgaria wanted to accept his views."In this situation it's pointless to make the conference" yes you better say thatCensored

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 30-Apr-2007 at 17:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>