Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Determinism vs. Free Will

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Determinism vs. Free Will
    Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 07:52
Originally posted by Hope

Ovidius: I slightly agree with what you say regarding the free will today, but I don't think the free will has been lost, just tranquilized by numerous impressions which we receive on a daily basis. However, there must be a free will, or else no revolutions or acts of conscience would ever take place.

But thats the point. Although within a revolution there is a certain amount of 'free will', one can make comparisions between all revolutions/revots - because the indicators are the same and the starting points are fairly similar.

This is how determinism comes into play - the idea is that the factors leading up to the Revolution were the major cause. Subsistence Crisis for instance, being seen as a determenent for Revolution. Now this is obviously a fairly marxist idea - Economic or social determinism being the root of all actions. Now although it doesn't satisfy all the questions, it does bring Revolution away from the act of a few individual instigators, which is was empiricist Historians would have argued.

The point I am making is that free will is merely exercised within a set of rules, based on the situation in which you are. Revolutions do not occur based on free choice - they are normally a reaction to some other action - government repression, feelings of inequality etc. But most of these actions are hated because there is a feeling of 'normality', so the reaction is based on social created ideals of what is fair and just, not based on free will.

Now with acts of Concience, the problem comes again when you look at Psychanalyisis. Consceince is subjective - it is formed within your mind based nurture. Hence why acts of atrocity can occur, people can change their conscience based on different factors. Not that this doesn't cause trauma or other problems, simply that Conscience is not static between people.

That actions can be predicted, does not mean they are determined, because that means they must have been designed to happen in ages way back in time, or even prior to time itself.

No, that is not the way in which Determinism is being used. Only in a Religious context.

The main issue with Free will in Humans, is how we come to make our decisions or form out ideas. Now some people would say, obviously there is free will - but how come nearly all ideas build upon other ideas. There can be no such thing as Free will because we are all influenced - we make our decisions based on the things going on around us. That is determinism in action. One argument I heard recently is about Globalisation and it effects. The person i was talking to believes that most things in the World are either influenced directly by Western patterns or are in reaction to those Western Patterns. So Terrorism, for example, is a rection to Western traditions... Part of hte power of Globalisation, say.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 07:59
HistoryPoi:

Personally, I believe that we act like we do because we have free will, which in turn I believe is God's gift to humanity. If we had no free will, we would be mere slaves. Also, determinism is closely linked to predestination, mainly in Augustinian teachings, which means that everything is designed in advance. But if everything was predestined, why would we need a free will? And with predestination, for instance meaning that only a certain number of humans would be allowed to enter Heaven, why would we need to do anything? Why would we need to follow the teachings of Christ if it already was decided who shall enter Heaven? That's my main reason for not being a big fan of the deterministic idea.

Omar:

Yes, Christians, especially in the first millennium, have believed and still believe in determinism, predestination and fatalism. Much inspired by Augustine, who in turned may have been influenced my Manicheism.

However, I agree with you that both determinism and free will can exist, but only when talking about mathematical determinism, i.e. that you may predict a person's action based in his history and his personality. Also, keep in mind that mathematics is not my strongest subject, so please bear over with any ignorance I may portray during the debate.

Anyway, I see your point regaring the coexistence of determinism and free will, yet I believe (and hope) that the determinism count less than 99 percentWink
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 08:30
hi, im only replying becuase i got one post to go till i got 50, but i will reply and read all this tomorrow morning!
HAPPY 2 STARS! Clap
Thumbs%20Up
Viva La Vida!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 12:44

Oblivius:

Regardless of influence, free will exists. I was speaking of revolutions, but not only military revolutions or upheavals of socity and old systems. The revolutions I'm talking about is the individual disagreement which can be found in every society. Of course, disagreements occur as a reaction, but it is our free will that causes us to react.  Even though our free will has been dazzled with impressions and influences, our will remains free, meaning that we decides what to do ourselves. Of course, we do not have 100 percent freedom of the will, but humans can never be 100 percent free anyway. However, whether I'm influenced, in remains my choice whether to act the way I do. 

Conscience is subjective, and that is exactly why it is a perfect example of the free will. If the conscience was not subjective, it would not be a matter of will at all. The freedom of the will means that every man or woman decides themselves what to do, the choice is ours. Of course, sometimes choices can be taken for us, but that we don't use the free will, doesn't mean we don't have it. 

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 17:50
Oblivius?

Ok, individual disagreements? You say that free will causes you to react to something within society. Basically, I'd argue that you are influenced mroe strongly by things around you than you might think. Be it your parents, you friends, something you read that morning yada yada, those disagreements have been developed by something - They don't freely form within peoples brains.

I think you will find that your actions are shaped more strongly by your personality, which is not always controlled by you conciouss mind. Lets face it, how many women get moody during their period? This is merely an example of how little control we have over our actions.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 17:57
Mostly as a response to Hope, but not I'm not "calling you out" or anything like that.

Pelagius' teachings* did not speak out against determinism in favor of free will per se. What Pelagius had a problem with was the idea that we are punished for something that we have no control over (original sin). This was against his own belief that people be judged on their own merits. This goes against church teaching because logically you can assume that if not all people are born into a state of sin then that would mean there are those who do not require the grace of God to be saved, which goes against orthodox church teaching.

To me the response to Pelagius would've been very simple, although we are all born with the "crime of Adam" we are never punished for it because Jesus (and thus God himself) took all of the punishment for mankind when he was set upon the cross. Pelagius probably would've still disliked this explanation (since it still puts man in a situation he can't control) but then again to believe in a God is to believe that man is not in control of his universe.

Now Hope to directly respond to you** since I love theological debate.

Personally, I believe that we act like we do because we have free will, which in turn I believe is God's gift to humanity.

Of course it is, but that doesn't exclude predestined actions.

But if everything was predestined, why would we need a free will?

Because we do not know the consequences of our actions, and because of that God gave us free will to create our choices. To use your own words free will is a gift, but I do not believe it is required for the human condition and ultimate salvation. God chose to give us free will so that we would be separate from his other angelic creations, we have the ability to choose, whereas they know what all of their choices are.

And with predestination, for instance meaning that only a certain number of humans would be allowed to enter Heaven, why would we need to do anything? Why would we need to follow the teachings of Christ if it already was decided who shall enter Heaven?

Since when does Predestination mean only a certain number of humans can enter heaven? Couldn't that number be all humans enter heaven?

We still must live our lives in accordance with the teachings of Christ because sin is just an act that separates us from God, and thus limits our ability to get to heaven. As long as someone lives a good life and does not separate themselves from God, God's grace and mercy will bring them to him. Because I believe this is something Pelagius got right, no one should be punished for actions outside of their control since it isn't fair and God is just.

-----------------------------------------

In other words, I believe that there exists the potential to do anything (free will) but since there is only one reality there can only be one true action (determinism).

This is why people are not automatons and can be revolutionaries, their actions are predetermined but only God knows what actions will be taken.

*Pelagius of course was not cleric with any formal teaching within the church. However I will say he was a learned man and a theologian but just for reference he is not to be considered as a "church father".

**I have chosen your comments to HistoryPoi since I believe they are well articulated and summarized, I hope you both don't mind.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 18:40
Originally posted by Ovidius

Oblivius?

Ok, individual disagreements? You say that free will causes you to react to something within society. Basically, I'd argue that you are influenced mroe strongly by things around you than you might think. Be it your parents, you friends, something you read that morning yada yada, those disagreements have been developed by something - They don't freely form within peoples brains.

I think you will find that your actions are shaped more strongly by your personality, which is not always controlled by you conciouss mind. Lets face it, how many women get moody during their period? This is merely an example of how little control we have over our actions.

Sorry, my bad, my mind must have been elsewhere, my apologies.

However, I don't disagree with what you say about influences, but that does not mean we're not in the possession of a free will. It only means that the potential of the free will is reduced, consequently; our will is not absolutely free, but then again, I've never claimed it to be.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 19:06
Janus:

A very intersting post, here are my views:

Firstly, I will not deny that I need to do some more research regarding Pelagius and his teachings (and although no cleric, he was a philosopher with followers), and therefore I won't disagree that he was not against determinism in the way you say, yet he was against religious determinism, if I get it right.

It is right that the existence of free will doesn't exclude the existence of determinism, but it seems that the word determinism may be interpreted elsewhere. To me I disagree that everything is determined to happen, meaning we have no control over our lives. Yet I agree that some things are determined to happen, such as a man is determined to die sooner or later, because life is not everlasting, at least not the mundane life.

However, with determinism saying that everything was meant to happen, the idea of a good and just God, an image i firmly believe in, is very hard to maintain.

For instance, when a war rages, I do not blame God for that, because it is a result of human actions. Human actions are performed thanks to a lesser or bigger amount of free will. 

Regarding the difference between angels and humans, I agree to the difference. But again, if everything was predestined, free will would be a mere illusion because regardless of our actions, the archaic scheme would be maintained.

Of course, human condition may exist without free will, but that would makes us mere slaves, and that would in turn cause everybody on earth to believe in the same God. The fact that humans disagree in this matter, is a great evidence of the existence of free will.

In the Old Testament (or perhaps the Book of Revelations, I can't remember where) and according to Jewish teachings, only a certain number of people, 144 000 or something like that (please correct any mistakes) are allowed to enter Heaven. This idea, which I refer to when talking of predestination, makes every effort to do right and follow the Bible unnecessary.

Regarding that actions are predestined, I personally do not believe they are. The way I see it, we have been gifted with liberty to act as we please. Therefore, when humans revolt, they revolt not because they are meant to revolt by some archaic, divine scheme, but because they want to, or feel it necessary.

Finally, I just want to emphasize that since this is a theological debate, none of us can really prove our views, so even though I disagree with you, Janus, I can't say you're absolutely wrong (unless you produce some statements that clearly contradicts Christian teachingsWink )

And also, if I have misinterpreted your messages, please let me know so that we don't walk different paths in discussion.

Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 19:09

Omar: Heisenburgs uncertainty principle only affects our ability to measure things at very small scales, it does not mean there is any problem in the philosophy of mathematical descriptions. Although, I do get annoyed with people who forget that these are only descriptions.
Interesting, but not true. It does affect our ability to measure things, but no matter how accurate our equipment it doesnt get rid of the principle:
In the Quantum Mechanical world, the idea that we can locate objects exactly breaks down. Let me state this idea more precisely. Suppose a particle has momentum p and position x. In a Quantum Mechanical world, I would not be able to measure p and x precisely. There would be an uncertainty associated with each measurement that I could never get rid of, even in a perfect experiment!!! The size of the uncertainties are not independent; they are related as

dp x dx > h / (2 x pi) = Planck's constant / (2 x pi)

Now this isnt because our equipment is always going to be dodgy, but because the quanta doesnt have a definite position or moment, its somewhathazy, even in a physical sense. So if you have a particle in a position and using all amounts of mathematical equations and stuff, the particle can only have a probability of going somewhere else. You can never know exactly where it is going. So it is uncertain, no matter how accurate we can get, of the outcome. I believe this can play a large part in life because, as I said, I believe life is a chemical reaction, thus in a chemical reaction such a small change makes a difference.

Omar: A friend of mine said the same thing to me today, the act of determinisim brings me the option to touch my nose or not, it is my free will whether I take the opition to actually touch my nose.

I dont believe that. I believe, and it makes a lot of sense that you touched your nose, because of the direct situation you where in (right? Like thats unnassiable), but to get into that position many other things happened to you, i.e. started a conversation about determinism, talked about someone touching nose, etc etc. Thus you could say you touched your nose because thats the only choice you have. Everything leading up to this point had influenced you to touch your nose in this point. I like this, because it directly links with the atomic level of everything following these laws.
The only reason you would have made a different choice, is if the circumstances where different. Thus you only really had one choice, so it wasnt a choice, so you had no free will.

So the deterministic parameters, all previous events, and the persons underling personality, provide a probability distribution for all choices for any particular situation. The act of free will is to then select one single possibility as the decision.
So for an example, all previous events in my life including the fact I'm writing this reply, and my personality, now bring me the option to touch my nose or not. phi(this situation) = 50% chance of touching my nose, and 50% chance of not touching my nose. I choose of my free will not to touch my nose. For this situation, the chance of picking up a barstool and hitting it over the person next to me is zero, because there is no barstool and no person next to me.

Now it is important to realise that as soon as I have made this choice, it becomes a previous event and will change the probability distribution next time I come to make the decision whether I touch my nose or not to illustrate free will.

I think thats a little airy fairy. And not a real equation. Mainly because in an equation you cant have such faint borders between ideas, such as in personality and all previous events. Because in the terms of causation they are the same thing. Also it is ridiculous to say you have a 50% chance of touching your nose and a 50% chance of not, because it is inevitable that all the atoms and subatomic particles are continuing to do their same daily law abiding stuff,  so theres not 50% chance that their going to stop and move in another direction.
I guess that model works in a kind of light macroscopic version that tries to sound smart by incorporating causation, yet contradicts in saying there is a possibility. Plus youd have to incorporate the probability of falling of you chair, the probability of you house falling down, and all that, so the equation could never be that nice.

But if everything was predestined, why would we need a free will? And with predestination, for instance meaning that only a certain number of humans would be allowed to enter Heaven, why would we need to do anything?

YES HOPE! Thats exactly the problem. I guess you all know my opinion by now, but thats why Im so confused. And even if I just take the lazy answer out an and say free will is an illusion (just brings up the question, bloody hell, how do we manage to create such an amazing illusion?), it still doesnt answer you underlying question.

Regardless of influence, free will exists. I was speaking of revolutions, but not only military revolutions or upheavals of socity and old systems. The revolutions I'm talking about is the individual disagreement which can be found in every society. Of course, disagreements occur as a reaction, but it is our free will that causes us to react.  Even though our free will has been dazzled with impressions and influences, our will remains free, meaning that we decides what to do ourselves. Of course, we do not have 100 percent freedom of the will, but humans can never be 100 percent free anyway. However, whether I'm influenced, in remains my choice whether to act the way I do.
See, right there we hit another problem. I agree. So how does it work. I believe that humans (at least seem) to have 100% free will (on a macroscopic level) and yet I believe that the universe is governed by a set of laws!!!
SOMEONE HELP!

Edited by HistoryPoi - 30-Mar-2007 at 19:16
Viva La Vida!
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 19:18
oh sorry people, the bold things are the things people wrote, i dont get the whole quote stuffTongue
Viva La Vida!
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 19:54
Originally posted by Hope

Oblivius?

Sorry, my bad, my mind must have been elsewhere, my apologies.

However, I don't disagree with what you say about influences, but that does not mean we're not in the possession of a free will. It only means that the potential of the free will is reduced, consequently; our will is not absolutely free, but then again, I've never claimed it to be.

No, it means that those decisions are made within a framework, based on a cultural construct and a significant amount of development. Hence why thought processes are so different within different communities/cultures.

Which, basically, in my opinion means that Free will is something we assume exists, but really doesn't. We do not make 'free choices', we make choices based on fairly strict rules, its merely that these rules are very diverse and difficult to understand.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 21:18
you just contridictedd yourself. You said free will exists, however we make choices based on rules. If we make a choice then we used our free will, if it is cmpletely governemed by rules it is not a choice. Which one is it? I see what your saying, but explain it better, its confusing.
Is free will an illusion?
Viva La Vida!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 21:23
No, it is not HistoryPoi.
We can choose to go against or go along with the 'set of rules' you speak of, and endless variations in between. This is free will. We do not have to follow any 'set of rules' even if they are there, we choose for ourselves what to do.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 21:28
How do you keep religion out of this? I can't argue for 'determinism' on any other basis...I imagine I could, if I put some thought to it, but still...
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 21:46
Originally posted by Timotheus

How do you keep religion out of this? I can't argue for 'determinism' on any other basis...I imagine I could, if I put some thought to it, but still...

Interesting. And what grounds does religion for determinism. Traditionally, it argues against it. Bring religion into it.

Originally posted by Knights

We can choose to go against or go along with the 'set of rules' you speak of, and endless variations in between. This is free will. We do not have to follow any 'set of rules' even if they are there, we choose for ourselves what to do.

if you choose to go against the set of rules (presumably the laws of physics we are refering to). So using your...free will...alone, we can bend the fabric of the universe and by just thinking we can destroy all mathamatcally represented laws? Thats impressive. and what you just said is exactly wat weve been discussing. So back it up!
Viva La Vida!
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 01:24
Originally posted by HistoryPoi

Interesting, but not true. It does affect our ability to measure things, but no matter how accurate our equipment it doesnt get rid of the principle:

Sorry, I stand corrected. My Quantum isn't particularly good.
Thus you could say you touched your nose because thats the only choice you have. Everything leading up to this point had influenced you to touch your nose in this point. I like this, because it directly links with the atomic level of everything following these laws.

Except I didn't touch my nose. And besides, all we know at a subatomic level is the probabilities that something will occur, we don't know when a unstable molecule will decay.

I think thats a little airy fairy.

Now that is a grevious insult. I really hate airy fairiness, it must be stamped out
And not a real equation. Mainly because in an equation you cant have such faint borders between ideas, such as in personality and all previous events

Of course its not a real equation. Its just the best way to descibe what I think.
Also it is ridiculous to say you have a 50% chance of touching your nose and a 50% chance of not, because it is inevitable that all the atoms and subatomic particles are continuing to do their same daily law abiding stuff,  so theres not 50% chance that their going to stop and move in another direction.

Perhaps I used the word chance incorrectly. Given any circumstance a group of options are available for a person to choose from, there are only a limited number of choices that person can take, and some, given past decisions, are probably more likely to be taken than others. The act of free will is choose which of the availiable options to take.

oh sorry people, the bold things are the things people wrote, i dont get the whole quote stuff

In the quick reply window at the bottom of the page, press the Forum Codes button

Oblivius?

. Thats a great typo.

If this is true, then how come people behave predicably on large scales? There is certainly an underlying, measurable and predicitable order.
Originally posted by Timotheus

The only was would be to pretend that science and religion were not analogious to each other.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 01:29
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

If this is true, then how come people behave predicably on large scales? There is certainly an underlying, measurable and predicitable order.

Don't get me wrong, I never said there was no underlying set of moral values/rules...whatever you want to call them. I believe they do exist.  All I was saying is that  there is the option to go against them (free will), but on the larger scale, yes you are right, there are particular trends and predictabilities. I am just wondering (not questioning in a negative sense), how is order measured?
Regards,

- Knights -
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 01:34
I am just wondering (not questioning in a negative sense), how is order measured?
Probability Distributions usually. People are more likely to do something at a particular time of day, month or year, etc. Repeatable psychology, and sociology experiments too.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 01:42
Are they variable and estimated, or set in concrete? I understand they could do a large scale probability, a pretty accurate generalisation over a population, but is there any way of attaining a 100% correctly measured order and pattern? Thanks. 
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 01:53
A pretty accurate generalisation over a population is what I meant. We can have a correct pattern, and we know that people will use the phone lines for example in a deterministic manner, but you generally can't say I know that this line will be in use by this person at this time.

Or for example, we know that most great empires will last between 250 and 350 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>