Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Native American Women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Native American Women
    Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 00:57
Originally posted by Sparten

Occupational hazard when a superior culture meets an inferior one.

from a technological and governmental ability to organize greater masses of it's citizens your comment has a certain merit..

especially from the later half of the 16th century on-ward...

but inso far as other cultural identifiers..such as famial respect..respect for the environment... native traditions..religious beliefs/mythologies....beauty in crafting etc..it has imo.. very little merit at all.

Native cultures have proven equally rich as  any others in the latter.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 23:15
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Native cultures have proven equally rich as any others...

I so agree with you, Centrix!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:25
Originally posted by morticia

Thank you. Unfortunately, there is so little info about Native Americans, in general. I am horrified and ashamed for what the "white man" did to these beautiful and rich cultures.     
Morticia, I cant agree more with you. You and your great kind word make me think your a beautiful, fun, great woman. I cant ask for anything better than a woman  that will stand up for other peoples, and defend them. I think all females are great. Unfortunately in our society, woman are still underpaid in most jobs, and still abused. Guys we should fight for our women, and stop this underpaid, and abused to good people!

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 08-Feb-2007 at 16:25
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:36
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Thank you. Unfortunately, there is so little info about Native Americans, in general. I am horrified and ashamed for what the "white man" did to these beautiful and rich cultures.     
Morticia, I cant agree more with you. You and your great kind word make me think your a beautiful, fun, great woman. I cant ask for anything better than a woman  that will stand up for other peoples, and defend them. I think all females are great. Unfortunately in our society, woman are still underpaid in most jobs, and still abused. Guys we should fight for our women, and stop this underpaid, and abused to good people!

Well, the "white man" tried to erase the Native American cultures... but it failed.

As the matter of fact, most Native cultures are still alive. Lots of languages are spoken through the hemisphere, and hundreds of religions and traditions are preserved. That without counting the descendents of Natives that are hundred of millions in the hemisphere as a whole, although already with some admixture.

In my own country, here well down south South America, you can find the Mapuche culture, language and religion almost intact. And that's not the only case. You find the same in Mexico, Canada, Paraguay, Brazil, Peru, etc.

So, I repeat, the "white man" failed. Time will come when the people of the hemisphere realize the value of the cultures of these lands. I bet on that.

Pinguin

General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:44
Pinguin do u have MSN Messenger? I like ur ideas and respect for Native Americans. I would like to take to you about it. We can share stories and history. 
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:45
Send me a private message on here and I give you my addresses.

I'll see them this night. in two hours we could chat if you wish.

Pinguin
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 09:23
people can never be erased from earth by men only nature can even for nature thats hard to do it

you forgot Pocahontas

there are some amazone indian women in the amazone tropical rainwoods

are there any cultures where women stand at the top I think I heard about it in America?

and there is a women that played an important role at de soto expedition
( a devil in human skin Angry)

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 15:32
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Morticia, I cant agree more with you. You and your great kind word make me think your a beautiful, fun, great woman. I cant ask for anything better than a woman that will stand up for other peoples, and defend them. I think all females are great. Unfortunately in our society, woman are still underpaid in most jobs, and still abused. Guys we should fight for our women, and stop this underpaid, and abused to good people!

Thank you for your kind words, Canadian Guy, and for your contribution to the women's history forum. However, guys don't have to fight for 'their'women just simply accepting them as equals should suffice! Enjoy!
"Morty

General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 19:19
lol....yw. Women should be treated equally, and I do so. Any person should be treated as equal as another.   
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 22:25
Originally posted by Top Gun

people can never be erased from earth by men only nature can even for nature thats hard to do it

you forgot Pocahontas

No. I haven't forgotten her. Remember that in all the Americas, peoples with all the external aspects have a Native female in theirs femenine line of the family tree.

Yes, even in Argentina, a so called White country, and were most people actually looks European, HALF the population has Native mtDNA. That means that  following the line of mother-of-the-mother-of-the-mother ... etc., in half the cases the ancestor was Native American. In Brazil a third of the mtDNA is also Native. And in the U.S. nobody has done that particuar study, but it is know 6% of the genetic make-up of White and Black Americans is Native American. In Mexico 50% of the genetic makeup is Native.

So, there were LOTs of Pocahontas, from Alaska to the Land of Fire.

are there any cultures where women stand at the top I think I heard about it in America?

I believe everywhere. In Chile, for instance, we have several brave Native and Spaniard women. (The most funny case is a Spaniard female that killed dozens of Spanish males in duels LOLLOL. Who say women are weak?)

Now, with respect to De Soto, please don't use English sources or english-speaking authors with respect to the Spanish Conquist. Almost all of them is bull. Is just crap that is not worth the paper where is written. English-speaking authors are too much into the "Black Legend" to be objective.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 09-Feb-2007 at 22:30
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 04:51

I believe everywhere. In Chile, for instance, we have several brave Native and Spaniard women. (The most funny case is a Spaniard female that killed dozens of Spanish males in duels LOLLOL. Who say women are weak?)

Now, with respect to De Soto, please don't use English sources or english-speaking authors with respect to the Spanish Conquist. Almost all of them is bull. Is just crap that is not worth the paper where is written. English-speaking authors are too much into the "Black Legend" to be objective.

Pinguin

[/QUOTE]

If you raise girls with more convindence they would be better then men

I can REALY learn a lot of you pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 13:03

Indian Women and French Men by Susan Sleeper Smith, 2002. I recomend this book to anyone, it is a great great, very readable, and very interesting. It covers the encounters between French Fur Traders, and the various Native American communities around the Mid West. The underlying trend that is revealed by the title and discussed by the book greatly is the fusing of the French and Native elements of society, with the marriages of Native women and French men who established close links to the Native communities to gain trading advantages.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by es_bih

Indian Women and French Men by Susan Sleeper Smith, 2002. I recomend this book to anyone, it is a great great, very readable, and very interesting. It covers the encounters between French Fur Traders, and the various Native American communities around the Mid West. The underlying trend that is revealed by the title and discussed by the book greatly is the fusing of the French and Native elements of society, with the marriages of Native women and French men who established close links to the Native communities to gain trading advantages.

Yes, it is a great book, es_bih. I was so mad when I read how the market-motivated Europeans used the Native American women for their financial gains and to intergrate themselves among the natives. By the same token, by marrying the French men, it was also a way for Indian women to secure the survival of their own native culture.
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:19
Well, intermarriage between European males and Natives females was quite common in Latin America, too. They actually married lot of times, and we known because the records still exist.

what it is not commonly known is that not only French, Spaniards and Portugueses intermarried with native women but also British. Pocahontas was not the only case. I don't know why the U.S. keep forgetting that fact.

Although less common, it also existed intermarriage of Native men with European women, given they have a powerful possition in colonial society.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 12-Feb-2007 at 15:20
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 21:31

Yes, it is a great book, es_bih. I was so mad when I read how the market-motivated Europeans used the Native American women for their financial gains and to intergrate themselves among the natives. By the same token, by marrying the French men, it was also a way for Indian women to secure the survival of their own native culture.

I know there were definetly bad and good things about it. However, I'm happy that I'm not the only one that read the book Thumbs%20Up. Great book, good research, not boring. She is a good author.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 16:21

I know there were definetly bad and good things about it. However, I'm happy that I'm not the only one that read the book Thumbs%20Up. Great book, good research, not boring. She is a good author.

Yes, she's a great author and she does extensive research!
"Morty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12