Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings
    Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by Roadkill

-Atheism has existed for as long as humans have existed. Throughout history you can find writings excluding any divine entitiy. Many of these texts have been destroyed but some still exist.

-Atheism and science does not go hand in hand, just to clear that up(Meaning that you don't have to believe in science to be an atheist). Atheism is materialism, you believe in what you can touch and see, not religion. I would have been an atheist no matter the religion.

Well, athiesm does not embrace the other materialism, that is the one which promotes greed.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 16:16
Originally posted by Omar Al Hashim

You cannot prove me wrong by proving me right. I have yet to meet an atheist who understands the muslim concept of God.

You have met him befor, don't you remember me?

For example you just took a chrsitian God concept and applied it to Islam without actually knowing what you were doing. Omni-Benevolent? No.
So as you know i was born as Muslim, and now i am an atheist, couldn't you believe a muslim could become atheist? I am against all religions, inclueding Zarathustraism, Christianism and Islam.

Allah is merciful, forgiving, loving but only to those who deserve it. He/She also destroys civilisations, damns people to hell and causes suffering in our lives as a test.
A test you say? did he ask me befor i was born, if i like to go to this world? or if i like to be tested? If he does all this without to attach importance by my opinion and my feeling, so he is not a mercifull and wise God, but also a psychotic munster.

This is why I say atheism is a christian off-shoot. Because no-one seems to know enough about any other religion to make sense.
as i know (and you know too) my way of atheism didnt come from Christianity, but i was born as Muslim, and i have enough information about Judaism and christianity and Zarathstraism to denay all them, so your claim has no weight.
Btw i am not the only ex-Muslim in the world, and you know it too.

I have read many of your posts here, you say Atheist ex-christians know nothing about Islam and they have no right to jugd it. This applies to you too, you know nothing about atheists (i read your posts), and you have no right to jugd them too.

Edited by Maziar - 03-Jun-2006 at 16:27
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Maziar

You cannot prove me wrong by proving me right. I have yet to meet an atheist who understands the muslim concept of God.

For example you just took a chrsitian God concept and applied it to Islam without actually knowing what you were doing. Omni-Benevolent? No.
So as you know i was born as Muslim, and now i am an atheist, couldn't you believe a muslim could become atheist? I am against all religions, inclueding Zarathustraism, Christianism and Islam.

Allah is merciful, forgiving, loving but only to those who deserve it. He/She also destroys civilisations, damns people to hell and causes suffering in our lives as a test.
A test you say? did he ask me befor i was born, if i like to go to this world? or if i like to be tested? If he does all this without to attach importance by my opinion and my feeling, so he is not a mercifull and wise God, but also a psychotic munster.

This is why I say atheism is a christian off-shoot. Because no-one seems to know enough about any other religion to make sense.
as i know (and you know too) my way of atheism didnt come from Christianity, but i was born as Muslim, and i have enough information about Judaism and christianity and Zarathstraism to denay all them, so your claim has no weight.
Btw i am not the only ex-Muslim in the world, and you know it too.

I have read many of your posts here, you say Atheist ex-christians know nothing about Islam and they have no right to jugd it. This applies to you too, you know nothing about atheists (i read your posts), and you have no right to jugd them too.

Great post Maziar. I knew that a former-Muslim athiest to talk in this thread, and thankfully, that has happened.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 19:27

Originally posted by docyabut

Edgewaters, even the cave man felt lost and would scrafice a animal to this invisable spirit or God, when losing a member.

Definately not. Sacrifice can be traced back to a specific period in time, when early Chalcolithic societies were becoming more complex. It's an innovation we simply didn't have for a large part of our history. The idea of ritual sacrifice is one that occurs in the context of increasing symbological and abstract sophisitication. Most likely, animal sacrifice evolves out of the practice of making offerings to animal spirits to give thanks after a succesful hunt. Ritualistic slaying of animals probably took on increasing mythological signifigance as belief systems became more complex.

Likewise, the most primitive views of the supernatural don't appear to figure anything like a deity as we understand it. They figure spirits, which are something like ghosts living in the world in all things. As I've said before, unless you can call a ghost a god, you can't really call the earliest supernatural beliefs theistic.

Edited by edgewaters - 03-Jun-2006 at 19:31
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 00:18
Originally posted by Edgewaters

I think you might be a little confused about what materialism, in an ideological context, means.

Yes I was, thanks.
If there were no contradictions between science and religion, then religion wouldn't exist! Religion is not scientific:

Thats quite a bold statement, care to elaborate?
science requires that all phenomena be potentially measurable and observable before they can be said to exist.

No it doesn't. Science is forming a logical theory to explain many measureable and observable phenomenom. You can't measure or observe a proton, but you can determine its existance from things you can.
Empiricism is fundamental to science, and the only religion possible under an empirical epistomology would be one in which the deity was a present physical being who could be observed and measured, and the qualities ascribed to it could be verified by empirical processes. You misunderstand what empiricism is about: there simply isn't any room for supernatural phenomena of any sort. Atheism is a product of the scientific revolution, not Christianity; and the scientific revolution is a product of Classical philosophy which predates Christianity. The only thing Christianity has to do with it is that in the West, the Catholic church preserved some of that knowledge as well as making Latin education widespread (one of the primary reasons that the Orthodox east didn't experience th Renaissance).

As I said science does not require you to be able to observe and measure everything, and it does not rule out the existance of things that cannot be observed and measured. If we did that we would have to declear scientific advancement finished. Which is not the case. Scientific advancement does not cause any problems for religion assuming that no contradictions arise from the new knowledge and the religion.
If you do insist on being able to measure everything, and will not accept logical constructs from things you can measure and test. Then logically you must reject a fair whack of science.
Why would you reject the religion you were born into (without substitution) if everything your religous text claimed to be true and could be measured in fact turned out to be true?

You cannot quote me a history of science and philiosophy in Europe and tell me this is a history of atheism. Atheism and science are only related through the bible. Having to reject the 'because God said so' argument in order to conduct good scientific research is only applicable for a religion where God doesn't encourage you to conduct good scientific research.

Originally posted by Barbarossa

Don't give me this. Modern Western athiesm is not an offshoot of Christianity. I believe I must say this again "Athiests argue against ALL religions because they are illogical and give no proof." Many of them were raised Christian, but they are NOT an offshoot of that religion.

I have given you a proof. Read my sources and then come back and say that Islam is illogical and provides no proof.

Originally posted by Maziar

Originally posted by me

Ah dear Maziar, I was thinking of you when I wrote that in fact. Then prove me wrong, give me a coherent argument about the non-existance of the muslim concept of God and I will drop my point. (I will however still prod people who make blanket statements that are wrong). I understand that I don't have to agree with it, just so long as you are talking about Allah and not Theos.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 04-Jun-2006 at 00:19
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 01:14

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

No it doesn't. Science is forming a logical theory to explain many
measureable and observable phenomenom. You can't measure or observe a
proton, but you can determine its existance from things you can.

The proton "exists" as a theory or model (a very solid one) until it is observed. Science is divided into theory - models for how the universe works - and empirical observation (fact). For instance, that the sun rises and sinks over the horizon is an observed fact; that the earth revolves around the sun is a model for predicting that behaviour, called heliocentric theory.

A theory is as good as its predictive value, in predicting the behaviour of observed phenomena. It is an assumption of science that anything that exists in nature, that is anything that has any effect at all in nature, in any way, will have measurable effects; and from measuring its effects, a model can be built that will predict those effects. In short, what this means is that anything that exists has measurable effect. All knowledge is rooted in empirical observation and repeatable, predictable and measurable phenomena (which are predicted via theoretical construct - for instance, we may construct a theory of some particular subatomic particle without ever seeing it, but it is based in the measurable effects that particle has on things we can observe. The more the theory can predict these phenomena, the more accepted it will be).

As I said science does not require you to be able to observe and
measure everything, and it does not rule out the existance of things
that cannot be observed and measured.

It rules out the existance of things whose effects cannot be observed and measured. If the thing doesn't have any effect, then it is irrelevant to understanding the world around us. If it does produce observable phenomena, then we can measure those effects and build a model to explain and predict its behaviour.

Actually I shouldn't really say that it rules out the existance of things without measurable effect. Such things certainly might exist, but since they don't interact in any way with this world they're not really relevant.

Scientific advancement does not cause any problems for religion assuming that no contradictions arise from the new knowledge and the religion.

The contradictions are fundamental. Both ideologies propose to give an accounting of how the universe was created and why things happen as the very basis of their entire outlook. It's politic these days for each group to avoid conflict and present a happy face to the world, but on a philosophical level, the basic principles of science and its assumptions about why things happen the way they do is at fundamental odds with religion's assumptions about the same experiences that we have. For instance, you have a crappy day. The religious train of thought is absolutely focussed on searching for supernatural reasons; God didn't approve of something, perhaps, or he's testing me. Science says that God doesn't affect the world around you and your crappy day was a random occurence, the product of your own interaction with purely natural forces. Not just some of the time, or most of the time, but all the time.

Edited by edgewaters - 04-Jun-2006 at 02:18
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:31
Originally posted by edgewaters

Anti-clericalism isn't necessarily atheist or even secular. It was probably far more popular in the medieval era than it is today, judging from much of the literature and folk stories popular with commoners.

Likewise, anti-clericalism in the modern world is certainly not restricted to the non-religious, and the brand of anti-clericalism I believe you're referring to has its roots not so much in opposition to religion as in reaction to certain politically active strains of religion which are blatantly anti-secular and anti-pluralist, chiefly dominionism.
If we have in mind anti-clericalism as just being somehow critical against clergy/Church then you'd be right, yet it's debateable if that's an ideology (it it's just an idea) unless we add a specific flavour to it.
I think there are several main flavours of anti-clericalism. One is criticising clergy (as a sum of individuals) as being not-worthy of their assumed role (this is the one present in folk stories and literature), the other one is criticising clergy (as institution) of being obsolete, or corrupt by definition, requiring reformation or promoting more or less secularism. The latter one, obviously was not so present in the medieval world if we're to talk about the reclaimation of secularism (the political ideologies, the social order, everything was reclaiming Church involvement) and existed only to a degree, i.e. in the reformation camps forming along Church history.
Also, when we talk about non-religiousness I think we should make it explicit whether it's about individual beliefs (atheists/agnostics) or exterior mechanisms (secularism); a non-religious society does not require the non-religiousness of individual beliefs.

Sure ... secular materialism sounds fine to me. Atheism is too much of a loaded term. It presumes that the ideology we're talking about denies god, when the truth is in most cases (in the form most widely occurring in individual beliefs which can be loosely described as such) it simply rejects the idea that there is any logical reason to believe in a deity, or even simply doesn't give it much thought apart from observations of the behaviour of religious people.
Secular materialsm is just an -ism. Cannot be equivocated with any other and it's not that I'm looking for "the ideology" to have a quick resolution on the western world mentalities.
Also though I believe most people in western societies believe in secularism, I'm not sure if they all are materialists, i.e. if the majority rejects all forms of supernatural (while I guess a majority manifests a form of pragmatism, i.e. give some lesser/local importance to it - if it's the case - when planning their every day life).

True enough, but the basic point is that the origins are in the Classical world, not Christianity, regardless of the fact it occurred in a Christian context because of the dominance of that religion at the time.
The search for origins is a tricky one. Whether you deconstruct part of medieval intellectual developments to their Greek/Graeco-Roman forerunners, you could as well deconstruct the Greek philosophy to its Egyptian or Levantine or Mesopotamian forerunners, and so on, until we'll reach a state of prehistoric obscurity where we cannot give any further resolutions. And as well as we value the Ancient Greece's initiative and specific for its important achievements, the same way we have reasons to value the Medieval Europe's. Like I already pointed out, philosophia naturalis received some new ideas from the Christian Medieval thought, ideas which opposed and thus improved the Graeco-Roman heritage, ideas which we don't find previously in history (or if we do, we find in different cultural contextes, in India, in China, etc.): the study of variation and consequently imperfections (basic for observing a phenomenon, basic for integro-differential calculus, etc.;), the attempts of unification among the "arts" (essentially the unification between experience and reason, which existed only to a degree in Ancient worldview) resulting in the creation of a single true approach for knowledge - latter known as science, the theological speculations which were valued due to the omnipresent religious climate (and thus forming basic axioms but also most daring hypotheses). Also, we should remark the effort invested to eliminate some of the preconceptions inherited from the Graeco-Roman world. The Greek concept of an organized Kosmos intertwined with the Judaic traditions and created a Christian worldview hard to be shaken (the revolution of the infinity started with the Nominalist school: William of Occam, Duns Scotus, Nicolas d'Autrecourt, Nicolaus Cusanus), the Greek fascination for perfect forms plagued the cosmologic models (geocentrism and later heliocentrism) with perfect circular orbits defying the evidences and requiring a lot of futile adjustments, etc..

Also, though science had existed previous to that, it's the first time that the notions which would lead to developments during the Enlightenment really coalesced and crystallized into something with the potential to go beyond the church for more than a few isolated thinkers. The academies and centres of humanism, etc.
Humanism is an ethical position. Is this a red herring, or what's the point? That Renaissance has its merits? Of course, but I was talking about the the foundations of experimental science, of modern science.

As far as what you call the catalyst, I'm not really sure the religion had all that much to do with it. They were curious about the natural world, which at that time they ascribed to God, so saying "God did all these things for a reason" - belief in God is not really the catalyst, it's the world around them. What's most apparent about that statement is that the religion fails to explain that world - it's an expression of dissatisfaction and curiousity, not an evolution of religious thought. If it were, Western societies would have gone on to answer that question in a wholly theological manner.
But the answers were given in a theological manner. Most of these theorists were clerics or at least had a proper religious education. Many of them developed worldviews where God was part of. Most of them attempted to unify the religious worldview with the natural worldview into a single one, hence their resolution that nature is understandable by reason and mathematics because God acts in a rational way is theological. There's no proof that nature is understandable. Curiosity only gives you the "why?" not the solution.
Few actually held that religion can explain the world. After all there is nothing in Bible about water mills or troubadours LOL

Edited by Chilbudios - 04-Jun-2006 at 08:32
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:45
Originally posted by Roadkill

Atheism has existed for as long as humans have existed. Throughout history you can find writings excluding any divine entitiy. Many of these texts have been destroyed but some still exist.
What it's the oldest text excluding any divinity? I will bring you as counterexample an older text affirming the existence of the divine Big smile

Edited by Chilbudios - 04-Jun-2006 at 08:45
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Don't give me this. Modern Western athiesm is not an offshoot of Christianity. I believe I must say this again "Athiests argue against ALL religions because they are illogical and give no proof." Many of them were raised Christian, but they are NOT an offshoot of that religion.

I have given you a proof. Read my sources and then come back and say that Islam is illogical and provides no proof.

You have given me no evidence whatsoever to make me conclude that Islam is logical. You have given me some stupid book not even written by Muhammed. You cannot use that to prove a thing.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 10:32
I think atheists are basing on the idea that is wrong to say that there is a Being beyond the material word without having reasons for that. So it's a trial to be objective.

But saying that there is not any Being like that is again wrong.

Also, when we ask ourself about the posibility that a Being to exist beyond the material world, we got a feeling which could be expressed like that: "If there is such a Being, why it's not perceptible? How could exist an unperceptible Being?" When we say that we subconscious refering to our physical sensations.

But can we feel right now what is in the other part of the world, say, in China?

So, if something is not perceptible that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

In fact our physical sensations are ratherly an illusion, we dont actualy see the things of feel their touch. The colors and light are just illusions, they exist just in our brains.

So, why could not exist an extra-material Being?

Hwo could mattery to be the principle of existence?

I think the last question is more corect starting point in establishing us in the truth about existence.

What if the Principle of Existence is a spiritual, even Personal Being and all our senzations and life experiences are it's creations?

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 11:56

Ah dear Maziar, I was thinking of you when I wrote that in fact.

Oh this is nice, Thank you dear OmarSmile.

Then prove me wrong, give me a coherent argument about the non-existance of the muslim concept of God and I will drop my point.

I don't do this. There is something you have to know about atheists. An atheist don't care about God at all, for the atheist is the God non existence, becouse you can't see him or feel his existence. A very simple and coherent prove. A budhist can very simple prove the existence of the God, be good and clean your soule and YOU will be a God, so simple. But you my friend will have difficulties to prove the existence Allahs for an atheist. An atheist except you to bring scientific and logical proves, which you for sure can't. Let's go more far, could you prove if there are not more Gods beside Allah? or how do you know if this God is allmighty? perhaps he isn't so allmighty as you think, or if he is dead? at least Nitzsche said that.
All in all i don't want you to drop your point. This is your choice and your right to make this choice.

Edited by Maziar - 04-Jun-2006 at 11:58
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:12

Originally posted by Menumorut

I think atheists are basing on the idea that is wrong to say that there is a Being beyond the material word without having reasons for that. So it's a trial to be objective.But saying that there is not any Being like that is again wrong.

The issue isn't actually whether or not there are beings "beyond" the material world. The issue is that nothing that affects nature can possibly be supernatural, by definition. There's room in materialism for beings to exist in other worlds; but the question of whether they do or not is irrelevant since they have no effect on this world.

But can we feel right now what is in the other part of the world, say, in China?So, if something is not perceptible that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

"China" doesn't exist in the real world anymore than any other abstract construct. China is an idea, as is any other state. On the other hand, you certainly can go and see, touch, feel etc the land that is in that place. You don't have to be perceiving something right this minute to satisfy the demands of empiricism as to existance; it is enough that you can perceive it if you chose to do so. The bicycle you're riding on doesn't disappear when you're not looking at it. In quantum physics, subatomic particles do behave something like this but their behaviour gives rise to classical physics, in which the bike is there whether you're looking at it or not.

In fact our physical sensations are ratherly an illusion, we dont actualy see the things of feel their touch. The colors and light are just illusions, they exist just in our brains.

Solipsism is a dead end, especially ethically. This would mean that other people are nothing but an illusion in your own mind, so you can do whatever you like to them, for instance. Empiricism assumes and believes that our senses are reliable to some degree.

So, why could not exist an extra-material Being?Hwo could mattery to be the principle of existence?I think the last question is more corect starting point in establishing us in the truth about existence.What if the Principle of Existence is a spiritual, even Personal Being and all our senzations and life experiences are it's creations?

If that's true then there's no point in trying to use science to understand the world around us. If you devise a chemical test to detect a protein in some substance, for instance, by a chemically reactive process that will turn the substance pink when you add another chemical; how can you really know if the result is actually true if supernatural beings beyond our understanding are influencing the material universe? Maybe, for its own purposes, such a being would magically turn the substance pink just to fool you. Science presumes that *all* natural events are the result of natural processes and further, that any of these processes is reproducible given the right conditions (because the same factors will always repeat the same result - there are no spirits or gods to alter them).

Edited by edgewaters - 04-Jun-2006 at 12:13
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:20

Hwo could mattery to be the principle of existence?

I think the last question is more corect starting point in establishing us in the truth about existence.

What if the Principle of Existence is a spiritual, even Personal Being and all our senzations and life experiences are it's creations?

Matter could have come from anything, why does there have to be something to create it? What is the point of worshipping something that you cannot see?

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:32

Originally posted by Chilbudios

But the answers were given in a theological manner. Most of these theorists were clerics or at least had a proper religious education. Many of them developed worldviews where God was part of. Most of them attempted to unify the religious worldview with the natural worldview into a single one, hence their resolution that nature is understandable by reason and mathematics because God acts in a rational way is theological.

You're putting the cart before the horse here. This all happened before Descartes, before the development of the scientific method and the philosophy behind it, and well before the crystallization of materialism. We are talking about precursors to the development of materialism. Before that, the world was understood in a theological sense, and all attempts to understand that world were phrased in a theological context; this is hardly surprising. You really cannot expect that the precursors of a thing would carry the full qualities of a thing in its final form.

And although these ideas developed in a theological context it doesn't mean they were born of theology so much as they were born of a widespread rediscovery of Classical philosophy, which initially took place within the contexts of educational institutions which were a part of the religious infrastructure of the time. It took time for things to move outside theology - and although, as you say, many of the initial developments attempted to include a theological viewpoint, as a whole, such reconciliation was ultimately unsuccesful.

Arguing that the religion inspired these viewpoints is not, in my opinion, as accurate as saying that it was simply the context in which they occurred. Divorced from the true catalyst - the Latin tradition - nothing of the sort happened in the Orthodox east, despite, in many cases (eg England, and various parts of northern and western Europe), a much longer history of established Christianity! If the catalyst were the religion, this is clearly impossible.

There's no proof that nature isunderstandable.

Right ... the material monism upon which modern science is based is an assumption or belief. One that's been incredibly succesful at explaining virtually all of the everyday world in which we live, from the reason why flowers smell nice (not because God made them that way for our pleasure) to why thunder happens and how come it hit your house (not because God was mad at you).

Few actually held that religion can explain the world.

Not in its particulars, necessarily, but in those early days the universe was certainly viewed as a teleological construct of God, and science was bounded by the limits of questioning imposed by religion. Teleology is about all that's left of this era, but it must be understood that the teleology of that era defined all understanding of natural events; everything according to a master plan, even the coin that you found on the ground. This wasn't implicitly rejected until the time of Bacon.

Edited by edgewaters - 04-Jun-2006 at 13:23
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 13:57
The issue is that nothing that affects nature can possibly be supernatural, by definition.

And what is the basis of this definition? Why could not be the supernatural the existence? Only because till now we experienced only natural things?

I believe that the existence is supernatural but it's supernatural character i'ts not yet fully revealed.

Solipsism is a dead end, especially ethically. This would mean that other people are nothing but an illusion in your own mind, so you can do whatever you like to them, for instance. Empiricism assumes and believes that our senses are reliable to some degree.

Dead end it's to adopt an idea, like that your sensations are absolute reper of the true existence. For an ethical reason should we abandon the truth?

If it's ethical to accept that other people exist, it's not more ethical to accept that God exist?

And by the way, how could appeared conscious beings like men, if the Principle of Existence is not conscious?

how can you really know if the result is actually true if supernatural beings beyond our understanding are influencing the material universe? Maybe, for its own purposes, such a being would magically turn the substance pink just to fool you.

If supernatural being exists, they  created matter. Personaly, I think that the laws of existence are not the physical ones but the will of God.

Is hard for us to accept that a living Being is the principle of existence but is more reasonable than to say that matter appeared by itself.

Matter could have come from anything, why does there have to be something to create it? What is the point of worshipping something that you cannot see?

If we say that only matter exist, that is very strange. Why was not a total  vacuum?

Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 14:09
If we say that only matter exist, that is very strange. Why was not a total  vacuum?

-That is an irrelevant arguement as we could not at all have an arguement if that were so. That fact alone rules out your arguement.

-As for the rest of your statements, they have absolutely no weight whatsoever, in logic or fact and so I'm not going to bother answering them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 14:19

And what is the basis of this definition? Why could not be the supernatural the existence? Only because till now we experienced only natural things?

"Only"?   

Until now, we haven't seen the three-eyed invisible goblins that lurk around, but they are there - I know they are!! They control everything, they made the world, and they talk to me and everybody should listen, because I have been specially selected by the invisible goblins to give you important announcements. They even dictated a special book to me, which you should all read, because it has the rules for how you're supposed to behave. Rule no. 1, of course, is that bad things will happen to everyone who doesn't believe in the invisible goblins and you can't really be a good person unless you do. Rule no. 2 says that people like me, who believe in the invisible goblins, are the bestest. So, now, if you'll all just make a donation to the glory of the invisible goblins and change a couple of laws that I ... err, I mean, they ... have told me they don't like, everything should be fine.

This is no less reasonable than belief in most other supernatural forces.

Dead end it's to adopt an idea, like that your sensations are absolute reper of the true existence. For an ethical reason should we abandon the truth?

Solipsism says that we cannot know the truth, period. If you can't trust your senses, how can you know anything at all?

If supernatural being exists, they created matter. Personaly, I think that the laws of existence are not the physical ones but the will of God.Is hard for us to accept that a living Being is the principle of existence

No, actually, it's a heck of alot easier than science. You don't have to try to explain, say, gravity or thunder; it's the will of God. That's the easiest way possible.

but is more reasonable than to say that matter appeared by itself.

Who says that it appeared? Maybe it's always been there. Perhaps time has no beginning, or works differently the farther back you go. Anyway, presuming supernatural forces behind creation doesn't really answer that question it all, it just adds a step: what created the supernatural forces? Did they come from nothing?

If we say that only matter exist, that is very strange. Why was not a total
vacuum?

But a vacuum is a lack of any existing things, by definition. Nothing exists in a vacuum. Although when we say a vacuum we usually do not mean a total vacuum, just an abscence of gasses, solids, and liquids. Most things we call vacuums contain light (photons), and the forces of space-time/gravity. Something that didn't have these features would be outside existance and therefore, wouldn't exist. Do you want something to exist in a state of non-existance? It's a contradiction in terms.

Edited by edgewaters - 04-Jun-2006 at 14:28
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 15:54
Until now, we haven't seen the three-eyed invisible goblins that lurk around, but they are there - I know they are!! They control everything, they made the world, and they talk to me and everybody should listen, because I have been specially selected by the invisible goblins to give you important...

I dont say to believe something. Just to not say that only matter exists.

If you can't trust your senses, how can you know anything at all?

If you say that you have the duty to trust your senses, isnt that a sort of religion?

You don't have to try to explain, say, gravity or thunder; it's the will of God. That's the easiest way possible.

If you say that you have to chose what is hard, isnt that again a sort of religion?

Maybe it's always been there. Perhaps time has no beginning, or works differently the farther back you go.

Than how do you explain the aparent laws of the particles (electrons etc)?

How come that from eternity?

Anyway, presuming supernatural forces behind creation doesn't really answer that question it all, it just adds a step: what created the supernatural forces? Did they come from nothing?

The answer is that the existence is more diferent than we think. The supernatural is UNCREATED. Is more logical to think that.

But a vacuum is a lack of any existing things, by definition. Nothing exists in a vacuum. Although when we say a vacuum we usually do not mean a total vacuum, just an abscence of gasses, solids, and liquids. Most things we call vacuums contain light (photons), and the forces of space-time/gravity. Something that didn't have these features would be outside existance and therefore, wouldn't exist. Do you want something to exist in a state of non-existance? It's a contradiction in terms.

Your position is wrong because you start from considering that tridimensional space is the content of all existing beings. But what if the tridimensional space doesnt exist?

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 16:23

I dont say to believe something. Just to not say that only matter exists.

Matter and energy comprise existance. If it isn't part of existance, then it follows that it does not exist. If it is part of existance, then it is within, not beyond, nature.

If you say that you have the duty to trust your senses, isnt that a sort of religion?

It's a working assumption and something of a belief. Religion is a belief too, but not all beliefs are religions. It's not that you have a "duty" to trust your senses either; it's simply that doing so is one part of what you need to do if you want to be able to reliably predict the phenomena that the senses perceive. Duty would imply that it is morally good to do so, but it is not seen as a moral value to be empirical.

Religion (or at least, Abrahamic religion) is even less solipsist than science, however. Not only does it claim that the senses are somewhat reliable and the world does indeed exist, it claims we can know this world through intuition as well as our senses. Materialism simply takes the approach that intuition is highly fallible and subject to so many numerous delusions, and it is not a valid source of knowledge (though it may be useful in forming guesses). Moreover, a large part of the world around us is actually counterintuitive.

The answer is that the existence is more diferent than we think. The supernatural is UNCREATED. Is more logical to think that.

If a thing can exist without being created, why not the universe? Whatever answer you give to the question of where did the supernatural entities you believe in come from, can just as easily be used to explain possible origins of the universe. Adding in a supernatural element to the origin does absolutely nothing except postulate an unnecessary step to the explanation.

Your position is wrong because you start from considering that tridimensional space is the content of all existing beings. But what if the tridimensional space doesnt exist?

And now you're saying that existance doesn't exist, so you can justify a notion that things can exist without existing. It's silly. The bike is there; I can see it and feel it and touch it. For all practical purposes, that's all that matters. Even if it's an illusion, it's apparent by understanding the illusion in terms of reliance upon our senses we can predict and even manipulate events within it. How could we do this, if it was really an illusion? One wouldn't need to discover the principles of thermodynamics in order to fly - you could just levitate by chanting prayers and believing that you could. Try it - let me know how well it works.

Edited by edgewaters - 04-Jun-2006 at 16:48
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 22:59

The contradictions are fundamental. Both ideologies propose to give an accounting of how the universe was created and why things happen as the very basis of their entire outlook. It's politic these days for each group to avoid conflict and present a happy face to the world, but on a philosophical level, the basic principles of science and its assumptions about why things happen the way they do is at fundamental odds with religion's assumptions about the same experiences that we have. For instance, you have a crappy day. The religious train of thought is absolutely focussed on searching for supernatural reasons; God didn't approve of something, perhaps, or he's testing me. Science says that God doesn't affect the world around you and your crappy day was a random occurence, the product of your own interaction with purely natural forces. Not just some of the time, or most of the time, but all the time.

I think you are generalising too much about religion again here. I disagree that how the universe was created and why things happen are the basis of a religous outlook. I say that a moral code is the very basis of a religious outlook and that references to creation and how and why events occur are there to offer proof that the author of the work is in a position to know what they are talking about and has an opinion that you should respect

You have given me no evidence whatsoever to make me conclude that Islam is logical. You have given me some stupid book not even written by Muhammed. You cannot use that to prove a thing.

If I can't use a scientific analysis of the Quran to prove the existance of God, then you have no right to use one of the bible to attack Christianity. Nor can you claim that logic and proof are on your side if you disregard it!
btw, Muhammed couldn't write his own name let alone a book!

This all happened before Descartes, before the development of the scientific method and the philosophy behind it,

I think you'll find scientific method was used in Arab times

Arguing that the religion inspired these viewpoints is not, in my opinion, as accurate as saying that it was simply the context in which they occurred. Divorced from the true catalyst - the Latin tradition - nothing of the sort happened in the Orthodox east, despite, in many cases (eg England, and various parts of northern and western Europe), a much longer history of established Christianity! If the catalyst were the religion, this is clearly impossible.

I don't think that these views, (good scientific method and wanting a better reason than 'Because God said so') are the cause of atheism either. They have been around for hundreds of years but only in the last 50 has atheism become popular.
Until now, we haven't seen the three-eyed invisible goblins that lurk around, but they are there - I know they are!! They control everything, they made the world, and they talk to me and everybody should listen, because I have been specially selected by the invisible goblins to give you important announcements. They even dictated a special book to me, which you should all read, because it has the rules for how you're supposed to behave. Rule no. 1, of course, is that bad things will happen to everyone who doesn't believe in the invisible goblins and you can't really be a good person unless you do. Rule no. 2 says that people like me, who believe in the invisible goblins, are the bestest. So, now, if you'll all just make a donation to the glory of the invisible goblins and change a couple of laws that I ... err, I mean, they ... have told me they don't like, everything should be fine.

LOLLOL
this is what I meant above, religion providing evidence that it isn't just a three-eyed invisible goblin.
You don't have to try to explain, say, gravity or thunder; it's the will of God

Ah yes, but How did God do it?
That question can only be answered with science. And for many centuaries was the very definition of it.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 04-Jun-2006 at 23:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>