Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geert Wilders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geert Wilders
    Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 22:37
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello eaglecap

Obviously you are living in a fairy land when you say people in the US "died" for the first amendment. There was never free speech in the US, not even now. There has always been limits on free speech including limits on certain political and/or religious views and since you have an MA in history you should know better. I wonder if David Duke or Ramsy Clark would get the same reception Mr. Wilders got in the Senate.

Also remember it was activist liberal judges who extended the 1st amendment definition to what it is now and they got massive opposition from the people who "died" protecting freedom of speech.

Al-Jassas

no offense Al but you do not know our history very well but criticism has always been part of our free speech and course you cannot yell fire in a crowded theatre. The limits does not include criticism of any religion or political view. If you read the First Amendment it says clearly that government cannot regulate it or the exchange of ideas ,although, I can see an attempt to do this; hate speech laws- fairness doctrine. Banning criticism of Islam or any religion and political view. David Duke was a creep but he had the right to speak. I have not heard much of him lately so that is old news.

they got massive opposition from the people who "died" protecting freedom of speech

Please clarify this!!

when you say people in the US "died" for the first amendment

Boy, I would not say this in a room full of US Marines but yes many Americans believe and it is a oommon theme in our history but it is really get off thread a bit. MA, yes but mostly pre -Greek to Hellenism.
Like Kevin said he is only talking about the extremist and not all Muslims.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 23:28
Eaglecap
4) Because having set a precedent they feel they have to apply it –
you mean they are so scared of the backlash that they are willing to sacrifice free speech.

Stop thinking the UK is America, its not. The understanding of free speech in these two countries is different, America is anything goes but this isn't the case in UK. Theoretically in America you can say and write things against any ethnic group or religion without being prosecuted.

However, in UK there are laws against racism and hate speech, what Wilders is barring on illegal, enciting religous hatred and ethnic cleansing is a crime. If he had said the same things he says about muslims to Jews, he could be prosecuted in many EU countries which just highlights these countries double standards.

Britain is keeping to their principles, they could have been cowards like several EU countries and let him use their country as a platform to further his persecution of muslims in Europe but they treated him just as they would have any other preacher of hate.

There is freedom of speech in the UK but not freedom to stir up religous and racial hatred which is sensible when you look at the history of Europe.

Also for all you say about the U.S havn't they refused entry to non-Us citizens like the Holocoust denier Irvin and other peoples?

Eaglecap
Like Kevin said he is only talking about the extremist and not all Muslims.

No, its to all muslims and he's on the record for saying it countless times.

Edited by Bulldog - 27-Feb-2009 at 00:14
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 00:04
The second one, in your list above, try to replace the words "racist" and "Wilders" with respectively "Islamic" and "Muslims" and see if you like that scenario.

You can think up additional examples yourself - gays/lesbians, blacks/hispanic etc. etc. - free choice on all shelves.

Replacing a person with a group is not comparable in any way. But if you want to make it comparable and replace a person with a person then we have already been living in that world for years. At least Wilders actually did something, unlike many others who are refused entry.

Do you acknowledge that Britain has the right to refuse entry?

Do you understand that Britain has been exercising that right frequently for years?

Do you believe that the law must be applied equally to all?

If the answer to those questions is 'yes', then you must acknowledge that they had to block wilders & phelps. In the real world the answer to that is all 'yes'. Now ideologically you may not agree with Britain stance, I don't really agree with it either, but I understand it.

Do you think that Britain should be denying entry to people?

Do you, like edgewaters and me, think that there should be some guarenteed rights for entry into a country?

When do you think a person should be denied?

If you mentioned violence, how do you define violence? Why is violence worse than speech? Haven't you heard "the pen is mighter than the sword"? Will you allow someone to come to your country from outside and insult everything you hold dear? Do you serious think the majority of your countrymen would? I can tell you they don't now. You could be arrested as a terrorist, holocaust denial, or intimidated by the police or vigilanties.

You can't have a dual standard, you can't have free speech for some and not others. You can't have goverments encouraging people to insult and threaten muslims while they arrest people for holocaust denial.

(I don't actually know if Holocaust denial is a crime in Denmark but I am not necessarily talking about Denmark either)

Originally posted by eaglecap

Ok that is fine and I respectfully disagree with some of your points.

eaglecap you have a very strange perspective of the world. Once upon a time I tried to correct your eccentricities but I gave up.
I'm not entirely sure you understand what your country is doing, let alone anyone elses. You block people more often than Britain does, despite the 1st amendment.

Two things, you want AE not A&E, and Kafir, not Kufr.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 00:34

North. I'm With you! You are right!

For so much time I haven't been able to see that soooo ostracised film. It's nothing! It's just if anyone coud read some last words:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3369102968312745410

"For it is not up to me but to Muslim themselves to tear out the hateful verses from the Quran"
"Muslims want you to make way for Islam but Islam does not make way for you" - actually, not since the Inquisition a more dire atttack on anyone qustioning a religion has been seen

"The Goverment insists that you respect Islam but has no respect for you" - Islam has the ultimate "respect" only in the Quran*.
"islam wants to rule, sumbit and seeks to destroy our Western civilization" - the bolded unederlined word might be innacurate but is it?!? In Romania there's no chance for seeking because the ROB rulz!. But the Netherlands are secular!! Too bad for them. Allah knows better. If for 500 years there have been no chance to convert us by fear an whatever alike, maybe the Dutch will fall for it just because Spain was their traditonal enemyConfused.

Muslims and many others dislpay "West" as being the one to blame for the status the world is in. They too often take the victim stance if it is not themselvsles who had not choosed to choose "enjoying" being the victim.
The fact remains that no matter how many qustions are about 9/11 one thing is for sure: Islam is related with it. As long as this link is, there's no chance for the Muslims to be universally accepted. No need for you to compare with Christianity, because except the IRA, there are far too much historical facts that demonstrate the factthat christianity can deal with the facts while Islam can't.
*could any of you mild muslim imagine what will mean a radical crime commited by a muslim here (and propped by the media) would result in?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 01:34
Cezar to say your post was full of shit after months of those other threads where you actually agreed with some things is an understatement.

Actually look at Southern France, the Cathars were eradicated and the local culture is virtually non existent in just a few decades of "Crusade." So if it really was that bad under the Ottomans you would have much bigger number of converts. Just like in Spain. Up until relatively recently there were no Jews or Muslims to speak off due to a oh so gentle treatment. Again more proof to the fact if you wanted to convert you can, and more proof to the fact that Ottomans were relatively tolerant and a much better place to live if not of the same religion than most places at that time. Otherwise the numerous Jewish settlers throughout the Ottoman Empire wouldn't have settled there after 1500s.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 01:35
Let's not get too distracted into a "whose God is better" sort of debate.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 02:03

Basically, a decision made by a body of a soverign non-muslim country somehow reflects badly on islam? I really don't know how North and the rest (forget eaglecap, he will blame Hurricane katrina on radical muslims) can blame muslims for a decision made by a very western very non muslim woman; i.e Jackie Smith.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 02:22
Hello Omar, if you have read my posts you will know I have already answered most of those questions, but once again you are using a smoke screen of secondary issues to blur the vital and decisive question.
If I had all night, I would be happy to answer your questions, repeating what I said - but lets go back to the vital question:

Was it out of fear the British authorities denied Geert Wilders entrance?

I'm not entirely sure that you acknowledge the fear for fanatic Muslims in Western Europe, so lets start there.
I'll start with a question, "What common denominator can you find for these actions"...
Twin towers killing 3000, London Underground killing 70 people and injuring 800, Glasgow Aiport, Madrid bombings, Bali bombings, Istanbul bombings, Bombay hotel bombings, Daniel Pearl beheaded and the video shown around the world - and a heap of other terror acts and riots in every major city in Europe - and the rest of the world for that matter.
As far as I know, it wasn't norwegian christians, danish jews or british dentists - it was fundamental muslim fanatics.
Thats the common denominator - muslim nutties responsible for these actions spreading fear and horror everywhere - not least Europe.

So the fear is there as a constant threat - the fear of insulting extreme muslims. And that is pretty easy to do when you exercise basic human rights.

Yet you and others boldly claim, that this fear had nothing to do with Wilders ban?
- and continue to make unsupported excuses for what the reason might have been. 

Allow me to validate my claim....

Wilders had been in Britain 14 days before the trip of his ban without anyone giving a damn!? - isn't that weird?

So who actually warned the Brits of, that Wilders was coming this time? 
It was Lord Nazir Ahmed who alledgedly threatened with 10,000 muslims rioting the streets if Wilders came.
I don't know if that's true or not - the good Lord Nazir denies it - but here is a quote from his own article in The Guardian:
.... I wrote to the Home Office, the leader of the House of Lords and Black Rod to say that his presence would lead to the incitement of religious and racial hatred.....

....  I thought this would lead to extremist groups from both sides – far-right organisations like the BNP and extremist Muslims – rallying behind him.
As you hopefully can see, the claim for fear might have some credibility to say the least - a top Muslim politician made sure to promise/threaten with riots, if Wilders was allowed to come.

And this was only the top cream of the fear already instilled by the forementioned actions.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 02:30
Originally posted by Sparten

Basically, a decision made by a body of a soverign non-muslim country somehow reflects badly on islam? I really don't know how North and the rest (forget eaglecap, he will blame Hurricane katrina on radical muslims) can blame muslims for a decision made by a very western very non muslim woman; i.e Jackie Smith.

I can see why they would, because of the mention of "public security" in the refusal. I think that was a mistake (perhaps an intentional one?). I do not agree that Wilders should be excluded because he might cause some riots or such. The state should not be held hostage by radicals who are either opposed or in favour.

The "threat to community harmony" was perfectly appropriate, though. Britain is a national community. A community has the right to be free from disruption caused by outsiders. We may have a party, and say that the homeless doomsayer on the corner wearing the sandwich boards is not allowed to come in to rant and rave while we are attempting to enjoy each other's company. It does not even matter if he is physically harmless and the partygoers are all pacifists who will not threaten or injure him - security and violence are not the issue.

This does not interfere with his freedom of speech - he is free to stand on the street corner and blather all he wants, just as Wilders is free to blather away in his home community. Any community has the right to exclude disruptive persons who are not members of the community in question.

Still, in an ideal world, it would be nice if the public was of a bent such that he could not be effectively disruptive, and would be allowed to enter the country as an amusement for the populace, a parody of antiquated intolerance. Like Phelps would be, if he behaved himself and didn't attack people or picket their homes and funerals.

Edited by edgewaters - 27-Feb-2009 at 02:31
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 02:32
Originally posted by Sparten

I do not blame Muslims for the decision - I blame the Brits for caving in to their fear for the extreme/radical/fanatic muslims. I'm sure you can see the difference.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 04:40
Originally posted by edgewaters

Let's not get too distracted into a "whose God is better" sort of debate.

Well if you mean me, then certainly that is false, as I believe that all of them are one and the same God. If you mean my statements, they were factual evidence that proved my point as to the fallacy of this horrible Ottoman oppression and forced conversion.

So we were never having that debate so far.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 06:02

Originally posted by es_bih

Well if you mean me

No, we posted at about the same moment I think. I hadn't seen your post yet.

Originally posted by Northman

I do not blame Muslims for the decision - I blame the Brits for caving in to their fear for the extreme/radical/fanatic muslims.

Do you think it was a justified fear, or hysteria?

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 08:39

Listen very carefully, I will say this only once.

Britain, a sovereign country, denied a man entry just as it denied countless others. If they gave Mr. Wilders exception they might as well give Mr. Phelps an exception too as well as the others who are under Britain's laws are prevented.

I have a question to people here, do you or do you not support Mr. Phelps's ban?

AL-Jassas

Edited by Al Jassas - 27-Feb-2009 at 08:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 09:08
Originally posted by Panther

Originally posted by es_bih

He seems to go to places media wise that won't do that to him.
Even his O'Riley interview went "well" all things considered, O'Rilley did his usual spin of looking balanced, but more or less gave him a good boot shining - of course Fox News isn't exactly the sector that warrants common sense, but it still gives him a voice to talk to a few of our own extreme right wing nutters.

See... that's part of our problem here in the US. Writing off  O'Reilly's program and the Fox network as heavily biased against the left, is the same as a conservative saying most or all tv programs as being liberally biased against the right? That is something which i have been coming too grips with over the past couple of years, these little petty shots at commentators we don't agree with. If people really want the change that they voted for 3 months ago, then it needs to start with them and not look to the their elected officals to do it for them? I mean, Keith Olberman doesn't drive me anywhere near to "going crazy" or writing him off, as Bill O'Reilly and fox does to it's critics. I still will watch them both wtih an open mind, if or when i so choose too watch their programs!

FAIR, Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting and Media Matters for America are two groups that have called Fox a network with an extreme right bias.

Fox News Controversies

Edited by es_bih - 27-Feb-2009 at 09:10
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 09:54

Originally posted by Northman

I do not blame Muslims for the decision - I blame the Brits for caving in to their fear for the extreme/radical/fanatic muslims.

Originally posted by edgewaters

Do you think it was a justified fear, or hysteria?

The fear IS a permanent condition - and people react different on fear. The british authorities lost their cool and acted only as a result to Nazir Ahmed's threats.
Hysteria? - or bad judgement?
As I said, Wilders was in Britain only 14 days prior to this incident, and no one reacted in any way. If he hadn't been banned, this last visit would have gone equally peaceful, and only a dozen of people would actually had known he was there.
If Nazir Ahmed acted in interest of the British society, as he claims, he should have kept his mouth shot.
But clearly, his intent was to demonstrate the power of his minority - the power to intimidate and create fear and use that power politically.

Edited by Northman - 27-Feb-2009 at 09:56
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 09:58
Theoretically in America you can say and write things against any ethnic group or religion without being prosecuted.
Practically, however, you say something they don't like and you disappear into CIA torture jails. 

eaglecap you have a very strange perspective of the world. Once upon a time I tried to correct your eccentricities but I gave up.
Do you know Family Guy, an American cartoon? Eaglecrap in Peter Griffin of AE (which he calls A&E after being here for 4 years). That's why I can't take him seriously despite his racist views. Whenever I get angry with him, and think of writing something, I see Peter Griffin going 'nnnehennnehehenheheh', and I just give up. 

I do not blame Muslims for the decision - I blame the Brits for caving in to their fear for the extreme/radical/fanatic muslims. I'm sure you can see the difference.
So the Muslims are not Brits?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 11:03
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

So the Muslims are not Brits?
LOL  Thank you Bey - If I had been more alert at 3:30AM when I wrote that, I should have known that someone would choose to misread "the Brits" to comprise the whole British population.
My mistake of course - please replace "the Brits" with "the British Government" - sorry about the inconvenience.Smile 

Originally posted by Omar

If you mentioned violence, how do you define violence? Why is violence worse than speech? Haven't you heard "the pen is mighter than the sword"?

Oh yes - "The pen is mightier than the sword" - but that won't help you, if you can't hold the pen because your arms are chopped off by your opponent, using a sword. 
Or - to use a less morbid analogy, The pen is mightier than the sword, but only if you aren't stiffled by fear of violence in your right to express yourself.

So yes - violence is worse than speech. Because where violence begins, speech is silenced.

We wouldn't have a problem if the extremists would use a pen instead of a sword.
In fact, there wouldn't be many extremists and no one would care to read their shit.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 12:22
Northman

This is the typical way in which these strories are distorted by segments of the media and muslims made into the scapegoat when governments don't appease to the extreme/radical/fantatic far right europeans.

Britain did nothing out of the ordinary in refusing him entry, it would have actually been odd if they allowed him entry.

The only group which is making a fuss about this is the far-right and closet racists in the media who feel that their new target group ie muslims are not being persecuted by the Brittish government enough for their liking. The government didn't cave into these people views.

Edited by Bulldog - 27-Feb-2009 at 12:36
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 13:01
Nazir Ahmed should have kept quiet. The British government should have ignored the issue unless and until Wilders actually broke some British law within British jurisdiction, in which case he should have been prosecuted, punished as appropriate, and then deported.  

The whole storm would then have been restricted to the teacup that is all it is worthy of.     

However if anyone opposed to Wilders did then break the law in demonstrating opposition to him, he too should be appropriately punished in the courts. Demonstrating opposition within the law is of course perfectly permissible.

That's why we have laws - so that governments cannot just break them at will.

Threats that someone might break the law justify taking precautions (like, e.g. perhaps calncelling police leave) but they don't justify breaching individual rights. Punishing anybody n the basis that they might do something illegal is always unjustified, except possibly in the case of the demonstrably insane. 
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 14:03
Couldn't agree more Graham Thumbs Up 

Originally posted by Bulldog

Northman
I do not blame Muslims for the decision - I blame the Brits (*British Government) for caving in to their fear for the extreme/radical/fanatic muslims. I'm sure you can see the difference.

This is the typical way in which these strories are distorted by segments of the media and muslims made into the scapegoat when governments don't appease to the extreme/radical/fantatic far right europeans.
The statement is not from any distorted media - I made that statement.
If I become a racist in your eyes because of that I'm sorry, I can't help you.

On the other hand, if you don't agree with the radical elements of Islam and their actions, you really shouldn't make yourself a hostage of them and their deeds.  

I'm not blaming mainstream muslims for anything or making them scapegoats, so please keep the victim card in the pocket.

Mainstream muslims are not victims of the West - they are much more in danger to become victims of their own lunatic fanatic leaders - and much more so if they believe they have to defend them by shifting blame elsewhere.

PS... 
I have edited the post 3 times in a vain hope not to be misunderstood again.

Edited by Northman - 27-Feb-2009 at 14:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>