Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout Goguri,no matter you believe or not~

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Goguri,no matter you believe or not~
    Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 18:04

Small kingdom as Goguri was~  it was also an aggressive country.  It was the attacking side in 60% war .

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 19:31

The best defensive is an offensive

When Sui invaded Goguri, Goguri invaded China in return- not for conquering, but for psycological purpose

Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 21:01
Yes, Koguryo was a very violent and war like nation.
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 21:20
why is there the "believe it or not" part in the title? everyone knows it was aggressive..
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 23:59
Originally posted by demon

The best defensive is an offensive

When Sui invaded Goguri, Goguri invaded China in return- not for conquering, but for psycological purpose

small country are always 'right' in your eye,heheh...

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:03
?
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:07

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

?

I mean as a big country, ancient China were'invading' small 'country' in any war. While small country as Goguri, attacking China because they were 'defending'.

demon think in such a way......

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:09
Oh, I see now.
I don't think size matters in any case.  None of the European Powers are very large and look at the vast empires they conquered.
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:12

Did you think Huns attacked ancient China because they were defending?

and Germans attacked Roman empire because they were defending?

Mongolia attacked central Asia and Europe because they were defending...

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:17
Well think about England...its a relatively small country, about the size of modern day korea (united) and yet they were able to conquer one of the biggest, if not the biggest, empires in human history.  The sun never set on the British Empire.  I guess size is a factor, but it isn't the only factor.  What was Mongolia defending itself from, the way I learned the story Gengis united the Turkish tribes and started killing people.
Also, I know nothing about Rome, so you may be right.  I also know almost nothing of the Huns so I dunno what to say.

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:17

Oh, I see now.
I don't think size matters in any case.  None of the European Powers are very large and look at the vast empires they conquered.

I read whole Goguri's history of war. It's Goguri's policy lead to Sui's invasion... I do not mean Sui was right,but Goguri was not right side in the war too.

Just think Gubuk,why Ming Dynasty didn't invade Lee Dynasty of Korea

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:19
Maybe I misunderstood you.  I was debating the fact the Size doesn't really matter in terms of attacking first and or building an empire.  Is that what you mean?  I'm kind of confused on what you are talking about.  haha...I'm gonna sleep now, but maybe you could elaborate and explain to little old me.
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:30

Maybe I misunderstood you.  I was debating the fact the Size doesn't really matter in terms of attacking first and or building an empire.  Is that what you mean?  I'm kind of confused on what you are talking about.  haha...I'm gonna sleep now, but maybe you could elaborate and explain to little old me.

Okay.  As an ancient country, Goguri's stratagem was expanded its' territory in northeastern part of China after it was founded during the first four hundred years.   If Goguri defeated China, it also could be the country to establish a Central Empire.  Just as many minority regime did in the history of China.

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:35
As ancient China had vast population, it's hard for the people of Goguri to avoid being naturalized after they ruled China.  In fact, Goguri had accepted Chinese characters and costumes, and many aspects of social life.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 04:46

As ancient China had vast population, it's hard for the people of Goguri to avoid being naturalized after they ruled China.  In fact, Goguri had accepted Chinese characters and costumes, and many aspects of social life.

I personally believe that Koreans had Chinese characters before Koguri was even there....

If Goguri defeated China, it also could be the country to establish a Central Empire.  Just as many minority regime did in the history of China.

I guess the ol' Chaps from Great Britain are also a "minority regime" of China....

Grrr..
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:14
Originally posted by demon

If Goguri defeated China, it also could be the country to establish a Central Empire.  Just as many minority regime did in the history of China.

I guess the ol' Chaps from Great Britain are also a "minority regime" of China....

Faint~ I don't know what you are saying demon~ What you said above makes a verb emerging in my mind,i.e. 'distort'When Great Britain rised and became a World Empire,it developed a higher civlization than what Qing Dynasty had in 19th century.

But in 37BC. when Goguri kingdom was founded, there is no great Britain my friend, even the people of Great Britain are not the people you see nowadays. English was a language appeared after Norman Conquest and matured untill Chaucer and Shakespear.

I can read the Record of History (Shi Ji) written by Si Ma Qian in Han Dynasty without difficulty. You can not find a person in Western world who can read ancient text just received common university education.  

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:18

I can read the Record of History (Shi Ji) written by Shi Ma Qian in Han Dynasty without difficulty. You can not find a person in Western world who can read ancient text just received common university education.  

My teacher in Writing Workshop can read ancient text(well, he studied for like 6 years but still) .  He speaks, English, French, Latin, and German

Faint~ I don't know what you are saying demon~ What you said above makes a verb emerging in my mind,i.e. 'distort'When Great Britain rised and became a World Empire,it developed a higher civlization than what Qing Dynasty had in 19th century.

Well, Great Britain did defeat the Chinese in Opium war, so why not consider that as a Chinese minority?

Grrr..
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:32

I can read the Record of History (Shi Ji) written by Shi Ma Qian in Han Dynasty without difficulty. You can not find a person in Western world who can read ancient text just received common university education.  [/quote]

My teacher in Writing Workshop can read ancient text(well, he studied for like 6 years but still) .  He speaks, English, French, Latin, and German

My question here is : Can you tell me the percentage of such people as your teacher ~    Most (90%) Chinese can read as me.

Well, Great Britain did defeat the Chinese in Opium war, so why not consider that as a Chinese minority?

You mean because we can not defeat them,hahah. Demon, you're interesting. First of all,they are not a people in our territory. Secondly,they have not the power occupy the whole territory of China. Japanese tried, they deployed more than one million army in China after 1940,but they can not win us,just as we can not win them.

I think this answer will satisfy you.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 05:56

Just remember demon: I'm not nationalist, if I become a nationalist in near future, the only cause is that there are too many nationalist around us. I'm not here  to quarrel with others. 

Korean people are unique people after a series of amalgamation in Chosun peninsula. This is my viewpoint.

Just think the question when you have time: Why Ming Dynasty did not attack Lee Dynasty of Korea,on the contrary,they help Korea when Japanese invaded?

According to my reading, Ming dynasty spent more than ten million Liang(1 Liang=50g) silver on the Imjin War of Korea.

I hope it's not the whole story you got from your books,each coin has two sides:

Kim illustrated another lesson the Koreans learned by citing great power diplomacy. The Koreans wanted the Chinese to expel the Japanese completely after the first invasion, but the Chinese were uninterested in doing more than clearing the Japanese from the Chinese-Manchurian borders. They delayed and stalled when Korea asked for further assistance and humiliated the Koreans in many ways. In one telling incident, a Chinese official almost sentenced Koreas chief minister Yu Songnyong to a flogging on the basis of a Chinese servants false report.

http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/9899/Feb22_99/imjin.htm

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 09:03

My question here is : Can you tell me the percentage of such people as your teacher ~    Most (90%) Chinese can read as me.

That is unfair!  Most americans do not even know of WW2!

First of all,they are not a people in our territory. Secondly,they have not the power occupy the whole territory of China. Japanese tried, they deployed more than one million army in China after 1940,but they can not win us,just as we can not win them

I thought Hong Kong had some British origin ethnics?  My ESL teacher is a british who married to a Chinese who now lives here, as an example

And Japan did not pay tribute to China as far as I'm concerned, while the British did

Just think the question when you have time: Why Ming Dynasty did not attack Lee Dynasty of Korea,on the contrary,they help Korea when Japanese invaded?

1.  Becasue there was a connotation in China "not to fight in Korea", because all you do is die for a small patch of land.  plus, they were paying you some tribute, so why the hell you die for basically nuthin?

2.  Ming and Choson were "brothers" and when Qing were rising under Nurhaci, even if Nurhaci considered himself friendly to Choson(he even wanted to help Choson during imjin, but the king rejected the offer saying he won't get support from barbarians), Choson helped Ming.  This implied that they were both friendly and thus were supposed to help in bad times.

3.  Japan was going to invade China if Korea fell.  And those Koreans would help Japan.  So it was better to stop a flood in its early stages.

4.  I consider Ming intervention as a "show off".  Their first expedition was defeated in the ambush of Pyongyang, sent the chinese forces all the way back to Ming's capital.  Becasue they were ill prepared.  Ill prepared help is worse than no help

Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>