Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chimps vs. Human

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chimps vs. Human
    Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 01:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7124156.stm

I remember a few years ago i was watching "the planet of Apes" with my siblings, and i use to tease them about their worries for a future "ape invasion". Now the Chimps have outsmarted us, maybe we should prepare for it, any interesting thoughts?
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 02:05
...? No?
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 03:16
The whole fascinating story began when man stepped down from the trees and started being smarter than a monkey - hey fellas stop going to sleep while I'm talking!

Edited by elenos - 04-Dec-2007 at 03:17
elenos
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 03:36
Originally posted by The BBC

"They found that, in general, the young chimps performed better than their mothers and the adult humans."

Well, it looks like we should try to test younger humans too... My little monkey..I mean son, has a far better memory than I do (not saying much though)....what was I saying? Oh yeah, maybe wee humans can give them a run...

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 12:24
This is in interesting, if strongly one dimensional study.

It has been proven, widely, that humans posess the most complex structure in the known universe, our brain. Within this structure lies a far greater potential for all cognitive functions, whether memory, language, social abilities, intelligence, manual tasks etc etc etc.

Our brain all contain the same cognitive potential as some savants, such as The Rainman - Kim Peek , but are not able to access these functions. One theory for this is that our most complex evolutionary cognitive abilites, in particular language and speech, have taken precedence over other cognitive functions that we all have the potential to access.

In savants, the general lack of social and language aptitude seems to highlight how one outstanding function such as memory recall, mathematic genius, or artistic skill, comes at the expense of another. With regard to this experiment, it was not highlighted that chimps have a much lower degree of antaganistic neurological functions, and thus could access a higher degree of short-term memory function.

All thi study serves to highlight is that chimps CAN show a better short term memory than human counterparts with regard to the particular cognitive task applied, it does not show that chimps have a better memory or a better aptitude for recall.
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 15:32
I dont believe that Humans evolved from Apes anyway.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 16:32
Originally posted by Tyranos

HoHoHo!! LOL That's a statement! Who'd they evolve from then? Or did they evolve at all?

Humans evolved from primates in parallel with the species that exist today, we didn't evolve from chimps or anything, they evolved along a seperate line of primates.
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 17:16
Originally posted by Dolphin

Originally posted by Tyranos

HoHoHo!! LOL That's a statement! Who'd they evolve from then? Or did they evolve at all?

Humans evolved from primates in parallel with the species that exist today, we didn't evolve from chimps or anything, they evolved along a seperate line of primates.

Thats theory though.

My post wasnt a statement persay, more my opinion. However, so far there's no "missing-link", and all modern evidence shows that we are not even related to Neanderthals either, nor intermixed with them.

Edited by Tyranos - 04-Dec-2007 at 17:17
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 22:34
If man hadn't descended from a monkey like creature then we would have a planet of the apes! We had to be smarter than them. There was a species of man who had a much larger brain capacity, was sweet, kind and good, and got wiped off the face of the earth! 
elenos
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 23:28
We didn't evolve from Apes but a primate that we share with the Apes. And we are not directly related to Neanderthals, but more of cousins. We share the same ancestor with Neanderthal through Homo Erectus.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 01:03
We evolved from turtles. 
elenos
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 01:45
According to our physics teacher, chimps have 25% chance of getting a correct answer in a mutliple choice that has 4 choices.

And there were some questions where less than 25% of our class got right. And because of this, he argued, that chimps are superior than human beings.

Needlessly to say, we didn't know how to respond. He looked serious, so was that a joke... or something else?

By the way, that was IB class too.

Join us.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 01:52
We actually evolved from splodge.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 01:57
Darwin is shaking his head as we speak...

Join us.
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2007 at 21:14

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/DNA/

The recent publication of the complete chimp genome, marked by a celebratory issue of the journal Nature, tells us that humans and chimps share 96 percent of the same genetic material. This number is hard to comprehend, what exactly does it means to say that we share 96% of our DNA with our closest living cousins?

The url above links to a YouTube video on this subject matter of human and chimp DNA.

It's TOTALLY impossible that humans are not related to monkeys. To say otherwise is tantamount to saying you have your dad's genes, namely the ones that are unique to him, but you are not related to your dad.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 00:01
Out of all the monkey features the cranium has the most chance of mutating or changing and growing, when the brain changes the rest of the body adapts to the new scope of activities.
elenos
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 22:48
@ THD

There is no doubt that all life is "related" in a sense. That is what indeed makes us life. It's just to say that the similarities between Chimpanzees and Humans is greater than say, Salamanders, because our lifestyle (diet, breeding.etc)  and behaviour are far more homogeneous.

(In case you took that the wrong way, I was agreeing with and elaborating upon what you saidSmile)

- Knights -
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 11:43
Yes, life is all part of the great chain of existence that has links everywhere.
elenos
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 22:47
Originally posted by pekau

Darwin is shaking his head as we speak...

Darwin was a very confused man. He should have listened to his pastor more.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 00:54
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Darwin was a very confused man. He should have listened to his pastor more.
And then he would have gone completely mad!
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>