Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albanian Soldiers of Ottoman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albanian Soldiers of Ottoman
    Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 16:30
Albanian Highlanders
SHALA TRIBESMAN
SOKOL BEG

MOHAMMAD ALI PASHA of KAVALA
Mohammad Ali Pasha , Viceroy of Egypt
Arnaud of CAIRO
Egyptian Recruits and Enslaved people , crossing the desert ( 19th Century )
Albanian Bashibozuk , Singing.
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 16:37
Arnaud BashiBozuk and his dog .
Bandit Queen and Arnaud .
Arnauds in Cafe of Cairo .

Arnauds playing Chess .
Blows the smoke of Sisha to his dog's nose

Smoking Arnaud .
NAMAAZ in the DESERT
Arnaud
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 17:02
Great pic. Clap 
''Blows the smoke of Sisha to his dog's nose'' is my favourite
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 17:05
I like that picture much too. After see his pleasure, I wish I  have a nargile.(I am not using it almost one year.)

That guy know how to take pleasure from nargile.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 11:29
Nice pictures. I like most last picture of the first post. It is really funny.
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 11:49
Nice pics,thanks
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 16:10
nice pictures Mordoth,
   I will try to scan some pictures of Arnauts who were with Mohammed Ali Pasha Army during the conquering of Hijaz region.
   I'm curious, does anyone knows the origin of the world Arnaut? or Arnaud?
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 19:03

The pictures and the pantings were awesome. But the name of the thread should be Albanian Traditional Warriors. It is true that some of these paintings and pictures were made during the ottoman invasion of albania, but from the previous documents we know that the albanians wore almost the same suits also before the ottoman occupation.

The first pictures, the ones of the leaders of Shala and Hot are pictures of Catholic Clan  (tribes) Leaders, wearing costumes of the Dukagjini region (which right now is divided between Montenegro Kosova and Albania). The other paintings are also interesting. The white skirt, known in albania as "fustanella" was a skirt made only for warrior men. As you might know Albanias territory is mountainous and rocky for the most, and the skirts allow you to move easily, and also facilitates your riding a horse. The white, the red and the black were the colors of the albanian traditional costumes, and on the red or black gilets they sewed goldish ornaments. As Byron remembers in his memories and in "Childe Harold" the most expensive thing you could buy in the albanian regions was a traditional costume. The costumes were made of sheeps wool, from leather, and sewed with silk. The main ornament was gold, used everywhere, in the hats, in the shirts, in the gilet and in the belt, but mostly in the guns (which were also part of the costume. An albanian warrior was an independent being, which had to care about himself and his family (or clan) and he usually kept many guns. The decoration of the guns showed the social status. The albanian warriors fought as mercenaries everywhere in the ottoman empire, and also abroad. Some of them, which had good administrative capacities reached high positions like Mehmet Ali, the first king of Egypt.

Arnaut might be a turkic corruption of the byzanthine arvanon, arvanou, arvanoi or arvanites. In albanian propper the word arnaut sounds a bit bad, to somebody who doesnt know that this is just the way the turkish call the albanians.

If you might have a specific question on the albanian traditional costumes, be welcome and ask...
Prej heshtjes...!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 19:45

Doest "Arnavut" have any meaning in Albanian?

How do you refer to yourselves in Albanian?

The costumes look very stylish, you see alot of national costumes which look pretty silly but these Albanian one's had some class.

Did these guys like pet Dog's or is it just a coincidence, also is Nargile(Sheesha) and that type of stringed insturment popular in Albania.

Also is "Albanian Liver", "Arnavut Cigeri" popular in Albania, in many Turkish restaurants I see this dish and it seems pretty popular, its real tasty actually.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 21:43
Awesome pictures. 
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 07:37

Doest "Arnavut" have any meaning in Albanian?

No

How do you refer to yourselves in Albanian?

Shqiptare, Arber, Arban

The costumes look very stylish, you see alot of national costumes which look pretty silly but these Albanian one's had some class.

Thank you

Did these guys like pet Dog's or is it just a coincidence, also is Nargile(Sheesha) and that type of stringed insturment popular in Albania.

For warriors and hunters (like the most of the albanians were) the dogs certainly were favorite pets. Regarding the nargile, well, the albanians always were known to be somehow vain, and I believe they used the nargile for this reason. The stringed instruments used in the albanian traditional songs are the Lahuta (lute), the Cifteli, and the Mandolina
Prej heshtjes...!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 09:02
great picturesThumbs Up, until i came onto this forum I didnt know people other than greek warriors wear the fustanella.

is this a regional thing for albanians?

Edited by Leonidas - 23-Oct-2006 at 09:03
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 09:07
Thank Arber_Z what about the dish Albanian Liver (Arnavut Cigeri) and my question about it? Embarrassed
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 09:46
Well. I am glad that somebody posted those pictures.
Albanian ancestors were called Arben, a word of the Albanian-Tosk dialect, by changing the n into an r, coined Arber, used as such to this date. The ancient nation called itself Arber or Arban, which meant people who worked the fields. The word was later changed to Alban by the Romans, who called the land Albania, as is it called today by Europeans. The Greeks called Albanians the Arvanit, by changing the letter Linto an R and the leter B they spell it V and from this Greek word the Turks created Arnaut, which they still use today. The word Shqiptar and Shqipri are Albanian words that come from the blessed bird Albanian ancestors prayed to and they used its face (image) in their flag. The word must not be too old since albanian brethren in the diaspora, Italy, Greece and other places are not aware of the word and still call it Arber,and in Italy Arberesh.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 17:05
Great pics! I really like this one:
Originally posted by Mordoth

SOKOL BEG

He has an awsome mustache.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 19:09
Leonidas, I didnt know that the greeks or anyone apart albanians used fustanella until I started being interested in history. You are a Greek, which means that you are a Balkanian, I thought you knew a bit more on your neighbours...which probably look strange, but they used similar skirts once upon a time.
Anyway, the albanian traditional dress for the warriors was the fustanella, which in its forms varied from region to region. The fustanella could be white or black. It was mainly used by the komit or the kacak (rebels in the mountains fighting the ottomans) and also by the clan warriors. The fustanella dissappeared in northern albania by the beggining of the XIX century (lastly documentated in Shkodra/Scutari). By the end of the XIX century it started dissappearing also in the southern albania. Now it is used only by the folk artists, dancers and singers.
The fustanella skirt might look a bit girlish right now, but at those times it was a very virile dress. The skirt was not a monoform, it was made from many strips, which formed ondulations. The more ondulations it had, the higher was the social status of the owner. Some fustanellas had even 400 ondulations.

Bulldog, regarding the arnavut ciheri, we call that differently, its a dish that we call "Fergese Tirane" but apparently the turkish called that Arnavut Ciheri. In Istambul, in some restorants i found also other albanian dishes, like Elbasan Tavasi.

And regarding the moustache of Sokol Beg Baci, well moustache was very important for a traditional albanian man, or a clan-leader like him. The travellers who visited ottoman albania wrote that if you offend a mans moustache you could be even killed. And in the tales of my grandfather this happened very oftenBig smile.Albanians usually didnt grow beards, but they had long mustaches, and when young they had long hair, and the head shaved in the sides.

Prej heshtjes...!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 07:27
arber_z, my neighbours are kiwis (new zealanders) and timorese, i only met one albanian down here for one minute. No offence but albanians dont exactly make it in the text books/tv down here. So you can understand why i depend on this medium to learn more about your people.

when you mean fustenela was formed in ondulations, you mean layers right? and does those warriors have particular weapons or swords?

Edited by Leonidas - 24-Oct-2006 at 07:29
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 09:53
ArberZ
Bulldog, regarding the arnavut ciheri, we call that differently, its a dish that we call "Fergese Tirane" but apparently the turkish called that Arnavut Ciheri. In Istambul, in some restorants i found also other albanian dishes, like Elbasan Tavasi.

Yeah and they serve "Arnavut Ciheri" in alot of restarants including the prestigous one's, its quite popular I think most people know about it in Turkey and it sure is tasty.

ArberZ 
And regarding the moustache of Sokol Beg Baci, well moustache was very important for a traditional albanian man, or a clan-leader like him. The travellers who visited ottoman albania wrote that if you offend a mans moustache you could be even killed.

Big smile It seems Albanians and Turks have some things in common.
Albert Pine

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 13:36
Doest "Arnavut" have any meaning in Albanian

No not in our language.
However there is an interesting story about this. The term Arnaboud, in Persian, translated into something like "those who never cameback".
This was taken quite seriously by some Albanian muslims who wanted to especially identify with the Islamic world(this was around the 17th century). I believe this had its origins with Celebi's travels in Albania. He stated that Albanians were a misplaced Arab tribe(one of the Quran, I do not know the name) and that having settled in Europe, their langauge mixed with that of the "Franks"(Latins).

Later on, many in the empire started taking it seriously. And many Albanians were declaring themselves Arnauts(Especially in FYROM, where the word has not yet fully dissappeared).
With the 19th century "rediscovery" of Albania by European travels and with further study of the Albanians by people like Hahn, the theory was called utterly prepostreous and abandoned. As nationalism started to take shape among the Albanians, the term began to be linked with the Ottomans and started to die out, other Albanians found the term degrading as it implied connection to the middle east, whereas "Albanian" was far more pleasing since it had the Latin connection and thus one with Europe.

However both the term Arnaut and Arnavut come from the Greek version "Arvanite", or slavic "Arbanase", which in Albanian is Arber, the name of Medieval Albania.

is this a regional thing for albanians?

very much in the times of the late Empire. If you notice many janissaries wearing it, they either adopted it from Albanian ones or were Albanians.

The fustanelle was something that was usually associated with the pastoral wanderer. With the decline of Ottoman power, Albania became more and more a zone of utter anarchy. The lawlessness became transfered into a type of brigand, in Greek it was called "Klepht' as you may know, coming from the Turkish term Kacak or the slavic Hajduke.

These groups originally started in Albania during this period in the 18th century when ottoman control began to wane. They were thieves who preyed on unarmed villagers and basically made life a living hell in Albania(there is a Muslim poet in this time who wrote a long poem, about two hundred pages, in Albanian using Arabic script, lamenting this end of civility in the land).

When taken into the Ottoman ranks, they became known as the bashi-bazouks. To even hit or insult one could mean death for a turkish general, something which became an unwritten rule. They were wild enough to the point where Mehmet Ali of Egypt would simply throw them into some land he wanted to defeat to simply lower their numbers.
Not paying them what they wanted could result in the devastation of the land(something which happened in Bosnia in the mid 1800's). After the death of the janissary these guys became regulars in the ottoman army. Something which breeded contempt for the Turkish general who had to put up with their disregard for discipline. The fustanella was their real mark. And the carrying of a weapon.

Andre Gerolymatos book, The Balkan Wars: Conquest, Revolution, and Retribution discusses the deep influence these guys had on the development of the various Christian revolts in the Ottoman Empire(particularly the Greek one), and the significant romantic picture they played on the nationalists of these areas.

The mustache has its origins in the Janissary system. Under the Ottomans, only non-convert muslism were allowed to wear beared, therefore Albanians, being mostly Christian converts were only allowed to wear a mustache. Something which caught on.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 24-Oct-2006 at 13:55
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 14:22
However there is an interesting story about this. The term Arnaboud, in Persian, translated into something like "those who never cameback".

I think than reason for arnaboud term  is albanian stubbornness. In Turkey, when we are trying to say someone is too stubborn, we says, He have arnavut stubbornness.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>