Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most famous people of your city

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most famous people of your city
    Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 12:31

Tehran (Rey):

The most famous religious reformer: Zoroaster (Founder of Zoroastrianism)
Of course it also is said Zoroaster was born in Azerbaijan, if it is true then -> Baha' Ullah (Founder of Bahai faith)

The most famous scientist: Rhazes (The greatest physician and alchemist of the Islamic world, discoverer of alcohol, sulfuric acid, ...)
The most famous king who was born in Tehran(Rey): Harun ar-Rashid (The Greatest Arab Caliph)
The most famous king who died in Tehran(Rey): Toghril Beg (Founder of Seljuk Empire)
The most famous General: Bahram Chubin (The Greatest Sassanid General who became the king for some years too)

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 18:16
Benjamin Franklin, Ween, Pink
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 18:45
Abel Tasman, Carl von Rabenhaupt, Johan Huizinga

and Paramanga E. Yonli, the Prime Minister of Burkina Faso, he studied here

Edited by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 19:47
The guys from Louis XIV - awsome band, nobody knows of them though
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 01:45

Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena ( inventor of the first Thricromatic system used for colour television transmissions ).
http://www.spanisharriba.co.uk/GGC.htm

Juan Rulfo ( writter of the books: Pedro Paramo and El LLano en Llamas ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Rulfo

Luis Barragan
Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate
http://www.pritzkerprize.com/barragan.htm#...about%20Luis%20 Barragan

Gerardo Murillo ( Dr. Atl )Painter
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/tonysarticles/tbatl.ht ml

Jose Clemente Orozco
Muralist
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/jtuck/jtorozco.html

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 10:38
I live in southern Turkey which was named Kilikya before. And one of the most important people lived in this region, in Tarsus was St. Paul. He is a very important person for Christianity because some current beliefs in Christianity are his doctrins and he teached the ancient Egyptian culture to the Europeans...
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 14:08

Rhode Island has a few to be proud of:

Roger Williams - founder of the state (1636) - first advocate of complete religious tolerance b. London

In addition to founding RI in 1636, Roger Williams also established the First Baptist Church in America

Anne Hutchinson - The first woman to establish a town in America - Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Nathanael Greene - Revolutionary War general, second-in-command to George Washington

Esek Hopkins - First Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Navy.

Gilbert Stuart - painter - painted the portrait of George Washington used on the one dollar bill,

Ambrose Burnside - Civil War General

Oliver Hazard Perry - naval officer,

Commodore Matthew Galbraith Perry - opened Japanese ports to world trade - 1854
Edgar Allen Poe - author - lived and wrote in Providence
H. P. Lovecraft - author

George M. Cohan - actor, dramatist, composer - wrote : Im a Yankee Doodle Dandy," "Give my regards to Broadway," "Youre a Grand Old Flag," "Over There"
Nelson Eddy - singer, actor - many films with Jeannette Mac Donald
Peter, Bobby Farrelly - writers, directors, producers "Dumb and Dumber" "There's Something about Mary"

Spalding Gray - writer, actor "The Killing Fields"
Van Johnson - actor - over 90 films
Irving R. Levine - news correspondent

Ruth Buzzi comedienne - "Laugh In"

Richard Hatch - "Survivor" winner
James Woods - actor

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 15:41

I live in a small town of about 4,000 people in Michigan USA. i would have to say that these dudes are famous:

Larry Rieck (local Pastor)

Tim Dyke (President of the Village Council)

James Ligon (Owner of a major manufacturing company)

John Moyer (I happen to be quite popular...really)

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 03:27

Samos island has to be proud of:

Pythagoras the mathematician, (remember his theorem?)

Aristarchus the Astronomer (first to introduce the idea of Heliocaetric System)

Themistokles Sofoulis (several times PM of Greece in the first half of the century)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 08:00

Wellsville happens to be the birthplace of Gabby Hayes.

Yes,  the Gabby Hayes.

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 19:59
Admiral David G. Farragut.  Yes, I hate the punks in the High School named after him almost as much as I hate him.
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 01:17

Uzun(tall) Mehmed,he is the first man who found coal in my city.

Now my city(Zonguldak) serves Turkish economy its coal and soon its petrol gas

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 01:56
Not sure if FDR counts since he was upstate, but if he does, than he's it, probably followed by Teddy.  Let's wait 2o years til Rudy's out of the news before we giver him a shot at this title.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 02:45
Teddy is my favorite Prez ever!!!!!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 09:38

Southampton, England, my original home, is more famous for ships than people, from the Mayflower through to the Queen Mary II. But we can lay claim to Isaac Watts ('Oh God our help in ages past', 'When I survey the wondrous cross", and so on) and some pretty well known tunes.

Luxembourg, where I live, hasn'r produced too many famous people, except maybe for John the Blind, the King of Bohemia who was killed at Crecy and whoe insignia and motto ('Ich dien') was taken over by the Prince of Wales.

However, Charlemagne would have been a Luxembourger if Luxembourg had been founded a couple of hundred years earlier.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 11:24
Originally posted by vagabond

Rhode Island has a few to be proud of:

Roger Williams - founder of the state (1636) - first advocate of complete religious tolerance b. London

In addition to founding RI in 1636, Roger Williams also established the First Baptist Church in America

Many many years ago my one-time business partner applied for a job with IBM. Though he lived in Philadelphia then, he was called for interview in Rhode Island. He found himself landing at Roger Williams airport, driving into town along Roger Williams Boulevard, and staying at a Roger Williams hotel.

My friend's name? Roger Williams.

He got the job.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 14:30

The most famous person, from the place I come from?

It's the one and only Nena, the one with the 99 Red Balloons!

Beat that!

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 15:25

I'll go for some famous people from my country since Ireland's not a very large place

Arthur Wellesley, better known as the Duke of Wellington. Won the Battle of Waterloo.

Patrick Pearse, leader of Irish Nationalism and commander in chief of the Irish rebel forces in the 1916 Rising. Executed by firing squad.

John Barry, father of the US Navy. That's right - you can blame the Irish for the American obsession with big guns on boats.

Arthur Guinness, inherited 100 from his uncle. Bought a 9000 year lease on a run down brewey in Dublin. Invented the nectar of the Gods.

Actually, forget the rest of them. Arthur's your only man

Edit: Remembered a little bit from the Guinness tour so went looking for the details on their website. Here it is:

The workers received free GUINNESS stout every day, and in the unlikely event that they didn't want to drink it, they could opt instead to receive an additional "beer allowance" in their pay packet. In other words, they were paid well to make a drink they were given to drink and also paid well not to drink the drink they'd already been well paid to make. Brilliant.

Edited by Setanta
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 19:04

The most famous person from my little town is the wife of Bing Crosby....who made the son "White Christmas" famous.   I bring this up because this year that same little town celebrated its very first white Christmas in recorded history. 

We had a blast in the snow!

Of course, I'd rather be known as the birthplace of Arthur Guiness....but you can't have everything.  LOL

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 07:39
Ahmed ibn Majid from Ras Al Khaima (back then Julfar)  he travelled with Magellan, he was the guid that led the portugese to India.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>