Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military Leaders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who is the greatest military leader of all-time?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [8.45%]
15 [21.13%]
8 [11.27%]
19 [26.76%]
2 [2.82%]
4 [5.63%]
4 [5.63%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [18.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military Leaders.
    Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 11:27
The objective of this poll is to decide who is in fact the greatest military leader of all-time. Historians have argued over this for years. The criteria you should consider when deciding are: Troop strength, strength of enemy, size of empire, their success in battle, their impact on history. I look forward to seeing the results.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 12:11

If the empire of one of those you mentioned was larger than the Persian empire of Darius the Great (especially in compare of the known world) then all of them were greater than Darius the Great. Alexander is great just becuase, 250 years after Darius the Great, he could conquer just two-third of the Persian Empire

"Darius the King says: This is what I did by the favor of Ahuramazda in one and the same year after that I became king. 19 battles I fought; by the favor of Ahuramazda I smote them and took prisoner 9 kings.", Behistun inscription of Darius the Great

Map of the Ancient World: http://www.pbs.org/empires/thegreeks/background/46_p1.html

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:32
I'm surprised that no one has picked Alexander the Great as of yet. I would think that this new film coming out about his life would spring up more fascination. Also, what do you scholars think about the film.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 19:16
I picked Genghis Khan because his military exploits, such as conquering the largest contiguous land empire (in and of themselves enough to make him the winner of this poll), were followed by great civil and political achievements.  His empire also didn't disintegrate after his death like Alexander's. 
Member of IAEA
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 15:01
Should there not be Sbedei aswell or does he go under Genghis??? My vote went to Genghis. He is just a phenomenah in military history, nothing more to say as everyone in these forums know what i or anyone would write about the Khakhan!!!
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 09:17

I voted for Napoleon and now I will outline the reasons for that decision:

1. Napoleon inherited an army that was poorly supplied, hungry and on the verge of mutiny and turned it into what almost looked like an insurmountable force.

2. Napoleon fought at least four armies his equals: Britain, Prussia, Austria and Russia.

3. Napoleon had the largest European Empire since Rome. He conquered almost all of Europe, which then must have been the equivalent of the entire world.

4. No other military leader had as large an impact on history than Napoleon.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 05:36
I don't think you can really compare the effects those men had on history. They were just so big that it can't be logically concluded.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 12:31
Napoleon had a large impact on recent history.  The other men had large impacts on their near future's too.

I guess you have to think of it as the ripples a stone makes in a pond.  The farther away from you the ripples get, the more they get clouded by the closer ones.

(Bad anology, sry )
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:18

They may have found Genghis Khan's palace. Read this:

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20041007-013627-9281r.htm

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 11:49
I can't believe that np one has made a case for Alexander the Great. He is said to have conquered the entire known world in his life time. In the end I think this poll should be between Alexander, Genghis Khan and Napoleon.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 13:44
alexander is just overrated, replace him with caesar maybe, or timur.
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 13:59

Can someone help define "military leader"?
Does someone that gave overall orders count as well?

In that case I put Ying Zheng, unifier of China and creator of one of the most widely bashed country in the modern world.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 14:29
A military leader is someone who both leads the state and also runs the military with exceptional magnitude. So, that's why we exlude Rommel, Monty, and eisenhower from consideration. Not that they were ever really considerated in this poll. 
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 14:30

Runs the military with exceptional magnitude?

I'm sorry but my English sucks. What does that mean?

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 14:33
I mean with exceptional ability.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 17:49
Does anyone want to amake the case for someone who isn't on the poll?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 00:30

Ghengis khan takes the cake he could have easily destroyed all of the guys on his horsies

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 16:57
Who's empire would you think had the greatest impact on history; Napoleonic, Genghis Khan or Alexander's?

Edited by Winterhaze13
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 10:31
Who belongs on this poll and why are they great?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 17:44
Why is Genghis Khan the greatest? And who is overrated and why?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>