Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongols versus Western Europe post-1241

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongols versus Western Europe post-1241
    Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:48
Complitely agree.
Σαυρομάτης
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:59
Thats never happened to me before lol
long live the king of bhutan
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 21:13
Hello to you all

I thought the thread died when last I posted but it seems I missed alot.

First, about your theory sarmat that mongols had no intention of ever expanding to egypt, then why the messengers in the first place? All historians of the period agree that kitubga send messengers demanding surrender of the Mamlukes and under the full support of Hulegu himself. Those messengers were hanged on the gate of Zuwailah and an army was massed to attack them. Kitubga attacked Mamluk lands in Palestine before even a formal declaration of war.

Second, mongols never withdrew from Syria, they were defeated and kicked out. They had at least three tumens and we know the names of at least two guys who had the rank noyan one was Kitubga and another I forgot his name with a third unidentified man. Of course not to mention the 6 thousand Georgians and 10 thousand Armenians who were with the mongols in Syria and the Ayubid princes of Aleppo and Hims (if I am not mistaken) who joined the mongols with their armies and fought to death. It took Hulegu with at least 100k men and allies two years to complete the conquest of Syria with huge loss of life and the loss of at least 1 tumen in battle with Bedouins. Syria was a rich country and much more suitable for horse based mongol armies than Iraq. Now how after so much loss he would just abandon his conquests just like that? He tried and failed at least once in his lifetime to revenge what happened which contradicts your argument.

Finally, the Sons of Hulegu lead at least 6 devastating campaigns against the Mamlukes and gathered for them more troops than they did against the golden horde, that makes the mamlukes irrelevent especially that Maragha, the Ilkhanid capital, was just under 300 Km away from the nearest Mamluk outpost while it was nearly double that distance just from the frontier with the golden horde?

Al-Jassas
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 22:14
Al-Jassas, I think I gave a very detailed explanation of why Halagu withdraw back. The power over the whole Mongol empire was at stake. Secondly, I just said that the main army withrdraw not the the evey Mongol soldier withdraw from Syria.

20-30 thousands was left behind. This however, was not the army with which Mongols could conquer Egypt at this time. It's true that Mongols were victorius with such force against greater odds in the past, but Mameluks were not as easy as that.

However, if the main army of Hulagu attacked Egypt would be crashed without much diffuculty. What was defeated at Ain-Jalut was just a small detachment compare to the whole might of Hulagu army. Hulagu himself was hundred miles away with his main forces at that time. Nevertheles at that time victory even over a small Mongolian force was regarded as a huge success.
Σαυρομάτης
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 22:55
Well, I still beg to differ. I think Hulegu really wanted to conquere Egypt and revenge Ain Jalut. according to the mongol historian Ataul Mulk, the defeat was extremly painfull so much so that Hulegu asked for reinforcements from Qublai.

Now this doesn't mean that the wars with the golden horde didn't have an effect, they did but it was a temporary one, just enough for Baibars to consolidate power and reorganise his empire. Al-Maqrizi in his history mentions detailed letters between him and Berke about cooperation against Hulegu and mention that the action did help delay the mongol revenge but he maintains that such help wasn't as dicisive as you portray.

Al-Jassas
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 23:02

As you know, Hulegu actually died shortly after the battle of Ain-Jalut and Hulaguids would never be as strong as during the Syrian campaign again. Of course the battle had a very bad effect on Hulagu's prestige although it was of a relatively insignificant scale. But the whole point is that the Mameluks didn't face the whole Mongol force at Ain-Jalut they didn't fight Hulagu himself with the main army but just a small garrison force.

Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 07:36
BTW, here what Britannica says about Ain-Jalut and it complitely supports my analysis:

Kitbuga and his Mongol army, a small detachment of about 10,000 men, were lured into a trap at ʿAyn Jālūt (“Spring of Goliath”), near Nazareth, in Palestine, by a much larger Mamlūk force commanded by Baybars. The Mongols were destroyed, and Kitbuga was captured and killed. The Mamlūk victory was followed up by Muslim Syria, which then drove out its Mongol garrisons. Hülegü was unable to take reprisals, as he was preoccupied with an internal struggle for power within the Mongol empire, forcing him and much of his army to return to inner Asia. The Mongol empire was thus contained in Iran and Mesopotamia, leaving Egypt secure in Muslim Mamlūk hands.
Σαυρομάτης
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 11:37
By saying Baibars was the commander of the mamlukes at Ain Jalut, the encyclopedia has discredited itself. All contemporary accounts say It was Qutz, who was by the way the sultan, who commanded the army and non say the mongols were less than 20 thousand other than allies.

None the less you have your opinion and I have mine and it seems both of us look at the same battle from different perspectives that is why we can't agree.

Al-Jassas
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 20:42
It's true, we definitely can have our own view of the things.

But I have to say that Beibars indeed was the actual Mameluk commander in battle. Qutuz was "the commander in chief" of course; but the actual tactical command was administered by Beibars. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 21:24
Well, Baibars was a political opportunist and I am not going to be much surprised if his role in the battle was inflated. he wasn't even second in command, Qalawoon Al-Alfi was second I think. he was commander of the wing that ambushed the mongols and chased them and then ambushed them again near Tiberias a couple of days after the main battle. Both men were long sworn enemies but unlike Baibars, Qutz was a very religious man and a forgiving one as well. Against advice he used Baibars but Baibars killed him afterwards. Baibars always went to populous methods to gain the hearts of the mob, like sever anti christian measures including distroying  most of the monasteries and churches of Cairo, and the mob loved him for that and other things as well. The plan for the attack wasn't the brainchild of either of them by the way. It was a staff officer and an Auybid prince who devised the plan.

Al-Jassas 
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 21:42
Well, Beibars' personality is worth a separate thread I suppose. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123