Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unity in the Islamic World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unity in the Islamic World
    Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 11:35
Originally posted by ok ge

Is this a famous traditional song? or just a saying? what is the difference between your version and this version? Eli yemendir, gl emendir! Giden gelmiyor, acep nedendir?! a different dialect maybe?

This version is:

The land is Yemen

It's rose is grass

who goes never come back

what's the reason?

At that time the soldiers were sending the flowers they found at the land they fight back to their beloved ones. However in this song, the soldiers couldn't find any flowers in Yemen and they sent grass to home. 

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 06:07

I think I heard it before but same as you, had no clue what does it mean

You know what I was listening to yesterday? Estergon kal'asi. I cannot break down the lyrics, do you have them?

Estergon kalesi bre dilber aman
Subasi ___?  aman
____? gnlm bre ____? aman
Bir sinsi firak?

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 04:00

yes, It is famous traditional song, one of saddest .

And what you said is also same. It can be said by both way.how do you know this?

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 18:45

Is this a famous traditional song? or just a saying? what is the difference between your version and this version? Eli yemendir, gl emendir! Giden gelmiyor, acep nedendir?! a different dialect maybe?

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 16:42

Ad yemendir= Its name is Yemen

Yolu Cemendir= The way is from grass

Giden gelmiyo= The one who goes, dont comes

Acep nedendir.= What is the reason?

Some thing like this.

Edited by Mortaza
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 16:38

Originally posted by Mortaza

By the way, one of most know ballad is also related with Yemen. Saying "to one who go Yemen, never returned. what is the reason?"

Is this a Turkish saying? how do you say it in Turkish? We have an Arab saying that "Yemen is the grave of invaders". Due to the difficult terrain and high mountains of the inside of the Yemen, it became famous after many empires lost battles trying to conquer the hear of the Yemen. A legends says that Roman forces were badly defeated at the desert nearby Ma'reb. Portuguese were defeated on the shores, Shahar city, and the island of Socatra. Also, the Zaydians were ruling Yemen under the Ottoman rule, but a revolution errupted and Osmanli forces were evacuated and they didn't return till the agreement of Daan. Finally, the British occupied Aden and southern Yemen and a conflict errupted in 1934 where the British recognized the independace of Northern mountanious Yemen.  So, the legend came that Yemen is the grave of all invaders.

D.J. Kaufman
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 16:09

Yes, that is true. After all He is not a young Turk. I missunderstood you, of course he viewed arabs as his people too. Medine arabs were also friend of him too. No Turk accuse them.

But I remember something related that Brits also tried to force him to surrender Medine.

By the way, one of most know ballad is also related with Yemen. Saying "to one who go Yemen, never returned. what is the reason?"

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 16:00

Well, Lawrence of Arabia was the advisor to the sherief but no British troops were with the sherrief till he reached Demascus. The reason is: 1- not to upset Arabs that non-Muslim troops are fighting Muslim Ottoman troops to take Madine. 2- To show the Sherief as a true hero with his native troops.

I meant by standing good for their people is him standing to protect Madine and then surrendering the city by the demand of the people to escape the starvation. Im not sure if Fahrettin Paa viewed his people only to be Turks, but I would assume he viewed himself as a protector of Medine and they are all his people too.

D.J. Kaufman
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 15:48

Not good of their people, Their people(If you mean Turks) have no good at Medina(Specialy after lost of war),for Prophet body. I think they took holy artifact of Prophet, and sent them to Istanbul. Because he feared Brits would own them.

I have no idea what sherief did, Maybe he couldnt take medina, or maybe just passed it, but It looks like there were fighting before surrendering city. Maybe he sieged it, with brits. Because It looks like brits have some job at there too. He surrendered Medine after 3 month of mondros agreement.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 15:29

Protected of Medine was Fahrettin Paa. He fight even after Ottomans lost the war and signed mondros agreement

So Sherief passed Medine and left it toward demascus and came back to Madine, or it was another Sherief force?

Anyhow, that is a beautiful story. Few men stand for the good of their people.

D.J. Kaufman
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 15:22

Protected of Medine was Fahrettin Paa. He fight even after Ottomans lost the war and signed mondros agreement, IIRC he jailed a messenger comes from ottomans, because message was to surrender medina. He said, I will not surrender Medine without order of Caliph. He try to gain time with some games, and I think he went to tomb of prophet and said "how will I left you?"

If I am not wrong,he gave medine, because of starvation and Medine people wishes for surrender.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 15:07

.If I am not wrong, Turks defended medine, even after fall of ottomans.

I thought Sherief moved from south to north, meaning if the Ottoman empire was defeated, he must have already passed to Demascus. Can you elaborate further please?

D.J. Kaufman
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 13:45

Intention are really important here. Shereif didn't care about rescuing people from turkcizing policies more than his ambition, as Young Turks didn't care about protecting holy places more than gaining lands that were lost. The opportunism of Turkish minister of war Enver Pasha who attacked Russia even without declaring a War. I know you protect holy places by defending them. Now here Envar Pasha declares war first and enter it of course not to defend holy places, because that will be naiive, but to take the opportunity of German early victories and to regain some lost lands. That is the reality of both sides.

I agree, both of their intention has no relation with goodness, but A standart Turk protected holy places.If I am not wrong, Turks defended medine, even after fall of ottomans.

In return they allowed unlimited immigration of Jews to Palestine.

This is wrong, Jews get their permision from Brits, neither Abdulhamit 2 (They tried to bribe him too) nor young Turks give them permission. Ironically It was arab ally brits who give this permission. Jews even fight against Ottoman at the war of dardanellas.

Please understand that Im not with the revolution or against it. It is a historical incident that combined both mistakes. Turks mistakes to try to unity a multi-natioanl ethnic society as the example of Germany and Italy and Arab mistake of believing the Sherief intention.

I know Cemal pasa made some atrocities, I am not supporting Young Turks(and their nationalist campaign) and I am not accusing arabs as whole, but I think I accuse Sherif. His fight was wrong, and you are right young Turks fight was also wrong.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 13:13

there was always ground for rebellion, there were a lot of turkish rebellion too. Do you think,their reason is nationalism?

What an arab at Saudi Arabia cared,power change of Istanbul.

As I explained earlier. The groud for "rebellion" or "revolution" was ready way earlier before the sherief. Residance of Demascus and Lebanon and part of Palestine were already ignited by Jamal Pasha unneccessary rigid policies. George Antonius claimed that it was the Young Turks' policy of 'turkification' that kindled the flames of nationalism among non-Turkish subjects of the Ottoman state, in his book The Arab Awakening: the Story of the Arab Nationalist Movement (New York, 1937).

The friendly relations between the Young Turks and the zionist movement also point to strong western influences. During their rule, the Ottomans obtained many loans from European banks, which were often run by Jews. In return they allowed unlimited immigration of Jews to Palestine. In 1909, when Arab parliamentary deputies expressed their concerns about this, the Minister of the Interior replied that Jews were free to buy property anywhere in the empire except in the Hijaz

Please understand that Im not with the revolution or against it. It is a historical incident that combined both mistakes. Turks mistakes to try to unity a multi-natioanl ethnic society as the example of Germany and Italy and Arab mistake of believing the Sherief intention.

Intention are really important here. Shereif didn't care about rescuing people from turkcizing policies more than his ambition, as Young Turks didn't care about protecting holy places more than gaining lands that were lost. The opportunism of Turkish minister of war Enver Pasha who attacked Russia even without declaring a War. I know you protect holy places by defending them. Now here Envar Pasha declares war first and enter it of course not to defend holy places, because that will be naiive, but to take the opportunity of German early victories and to regain some lost lands. That is the reality of both sides.

D.J. Kaufman
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 09:40

"when did he fought?"

DayI: Don't know exactly, she didn't tell me that. But it was under the 50ties and 60ties i think...

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 03:29

Ablanians fought against the Ottomans for their independance

I think this is another story, It is not because ottoman  were ruling albania, but It is because Ottomans giving albania to serbs? Maybe an albanian help about that issue, but I think this is before Turkish nationalism.

All of those dates are before the Sherief launched his campaign. So, there is a ground support already for his campaign.

there was always ground for rebellion, there were a lot of turkish rebellion too. Do you think,their reason is nationalism?

Yes, we are the least nationalist people on earth just because we believe in unity of a Muslim ideology. Arabs were not revolting on Ottomans in Syria and Lebanon and Iraq all time as other parts of the Ottoman Empire. Just think why did this happen only after 1908?

Infact It is not first rebellion of arabs, specialy bedevis are not to calm. We call it betrayal , because Arabs fight us with brits. When  our people was protecting Holy Lands again them, arabs joined with them.Timing is realy bad, and  remember job  of lawrence, I am sure he was not a arab nationalist. I dont think, arabs rebelled because of Young Turks, Infact this is absurd. What an arab at Saudi Arabia cared,power change of Istanbul.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 17:55
Arabs are not the least nationalist, by no stretch of the imagination.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 17:14

Sherief himself  is a greedy people, I think Arabs have less motivation  of nationalism than any other races. As I said,  there are a lot loyal arab to Ottomans. All other races fought for Ottomans, laz bosnians or albanians, why do you think, arabs are much different?

Number one: Ablanians fought against the Ottomans for their independance

Number two: You keep missing the point. If Young Turks have not instituted their turkcizing procedures, Sherief who is either a nationalist or a greedy person, would have not found any ground support for his campaign. Yes, Arab nationalism was created by the influence of turkish nationalism. Al Faat, the Young Arab Society founded in 1913-1914 in Paris, with branches in Beirut and Damascus; the Decentralization Party, founded in Cairo by the Syrians, Lebanese and Palestinians in 1912, with committees in Syria and Iraq and appearing as the spokesmen for Arab aspirations; and the Young Algerian Party, also formed in 1912.

All of those dates are before the Sherief launched his campaign. So, there is a ground support already for his campaign.

Number three: Yes, we are the least nationalist people on earth just because we believe in unity of a Muslim ideology. Arabs were not revolting on Ottomans in Syria and Lebanon and Iraq all time as other parts of the Ottoman Empire. Just think why did this happen only after 1908?

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 13:36
Originally posted by Cent

My aunt told me, that my grandfather, fought against the jews in the war between the palastinies and jews. I was quite suprised but it turned out that he has deeply religious and fought for Islam.

when did he fought?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 12:46

Well, Our priority should be our lands, not middle asia,when Enver Pasha was fighting at Central Asia, Anatolia was occupied, by greeks, france,Italy  and Italians. So I  think  If Enver Pasa was an ottoman patriot, he should try to protect anatolia not Middle asia, this is excatly betrayal of Ottomans.

And so? Did Ottomans even care about Anatolia, did they give any "thing" to "tashra"? Did Ottoman Empire care about Etrak-i bi-idrak in its decading periods? Ottomans priority was always Istanbul and Balkans, then holy lands. So they were the one who didnt give the priority to their homeland, Anatolia. Instead of wasting our Anatolian human source, mehmetcik in unnecessary, far edges of the empire such as Yemen, or signing Sevres, they could try to defend their homeland, their real prior lands like Ataturk did.

Infact turan is a worse mission than pan-islamism, Pan-Islamism didnt mean one country for muslims, but turan excatly  means, one country for turks, and It failed. Enver Pasa fight  for Turan, not for Ottomans.

To me, both are imperialist missions that ended up with nonsense wasting of our people and efforts. Our home is Anatolia. This is the place we should care about, unlike Ottomans. Yes, PanIslamism exactly means one country for all Muslims. And both ideas are unhealthy in current international norms and condition.

They played games with  whole empire, Their unnecessary and naive expansionism destroyed empire.

I agree.

Infact we did, we refused everything related with ottomans, even their alphabet. (Pls dont tell me,It is because changin  alphabet will modernize us)

Maybe because we arewnt Ottomans. Tell me how much Turks have been using the Ottoman script in -Anatolia. 1% - optimistic percentage. So Ottoman script wasnt our script at all. Arabic script cant match Turkish grammer. 3 vowels for eight Turkish vowels for example.

Of course it wasnt only for modernizing us, I dont care which alphabet we use, I'd prefer the Uighur alphabet, but I am happy with Latin. the most useful one, the one to be used.

For Caliph,I dont think destroying caliph is a good political move. Ataturk want to westernize us, but we are not a western country. And now we lost, a lot political power without Caliph.Of course It harmed Islamic Unity too, If not destroyed.

Caliphate became a sick organization in the collapsing periods. Remember, printing coming 200 years later to Turkey just because the wise Sheyhul Islams and Caliphate opposed it? But I agree on some point, caliphate would be a very effective power on Muslims if we still had it. Terminating it was a little extreme. ataturk didnt have any other chance in such conditions anyway. But to me, caliphate should have been frozen for some years, and then given back to Arabs. They can do what they want with it. We dont need a caliph to teach our religion to us, or to reach God's will. We can accomplish these ourselves individually for sure.

Ottomans harmed by turks more than by Europeans

Nonsense. We could say Turks more harmed by Ottomans than by Europe. But we still respect our Ottoman inheritance.

Realy what should they do? Give their empire to someone who call Shah Shah?

I prefer a Turkish shah rather than a shayhul Islam or caliph. And I dont blame the Ottomans for not giving the empire to Turkmens. It would be a stupid move. Anyway, lets not open this issue.

And please end this discussion Murtaza, I am tired... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>