Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most influential people of the Millenium.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most influential people of the Millenium.
    Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 19:25

oh my goodness...don't I feel stupid,  I kept thinking of the crusades you see. 

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 22:51
Originally posted by Faran

And I would also include the prophet Mohammad...don't you think so?

someone already said that, i guess you had the same temporary brain lapse that they did.

its the most influential people of the millenium.  Mohammed did not live in this millenium,

Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 22:25

Nothing with computers?  Or perhaps you were interested in their influence only in the millenium?

Also, Hitler and the Holocaust and WWII radically changed our politics, view on life/people, and technological capabilities, so I think he would rank in the top ten for sure.

And I would also include the prophet Mohammad...don't you think so?

Edited by Faran
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 13:43
Originally posted by Right on target

Hitler was responsible for WWII

WWII is responsible for the New World Order and a permenant change in the world

so......if you put those together, Hitler was very influential, although perhaps a little indirectly

If you put it this way then Hitlers gramps are the most influantial figures , as they were responsible for Hitler , who was responsible for ww2 and so on.

What about Jesus then. He had no direct ancestors , leave out God himself.And after all , Hitler's tale lasted a decade or so. wheras Jesus has been rocking the world for a long time , and Bible is the number 1 bestseller of all times.The second is "the Principia" by Isaak Newton.

the thread about people who lived in the last 1000 years

Right on target View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Right on target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 13:32

so......if you put those together, Hitler was very influential, although perhaps a little indirectly

If you put it this way then Hitlers gramps are the most influantial figures , as they were responsible for Hitler , who was responsible for ww2 and so on.

What about Jesus then. He had no direct ancestors , leave out God himself.And after all , Hitler's tale lasted a decade or so. wheras Jesus has been rocking the world for a long time , and Bible is the number 1 bestseller of all times.The second is "the Principia" by Isaak Newton.

Inquisitor Dei View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Inquisitor Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 14:02
John Paul II
"I am the way, the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father but through me."

--John 14:6
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 09:32
I know
Wasn't really thinking when I made the reply.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 03:49
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by azimuth

Originally posted by Temujin

Mohammed (the prophet I assume) is not part of the millenium.

Not the Prophet

they meant the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire called Mohammed the conquerore and Mehmet II

No I didn't.

oh

Mohammed the Prophet was in the Century 6

so he is not included in the last millenium which started in the Century 11

Mohammed II of the Ottoman was in the Century 16.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:09
Originally posted by demon

Francis Drake- Without him, I doubt Britain's influence over world, as well as a Brtish colony that would later become a Superpower.

Even more important: he founded Duckburg

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 15:14
But Fatih's success was one of the most important reasons to end this system...

The increasing power of centralised authorities and the rise of market towns as an important source of income for them is what ended feudalism, the system ended because it was obsolete, plain and simple.
And it didn't end over night, parts of Europe had a semi-feudal system running right up untill the 1800s.

Unless of course, you are speaking of Feudalism within the Ottoman Empire or something
Arrrgh!!"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 12:45
Originally posted by azimuth

Not the Prophet

they meant the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire called Mohammed the conqueroreandMehmet II

No I didn't.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 12:17

Economics is alwyas more important than military in the impact on society, the rise of market towns has alot more to do with the end of feudalism than any cannonbal could ever accomplish.  You can kill and rob many lords and ladies but more will just take their place, but if you make it economically unfeasable, no one will continue that lifestyle.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 11:50
Originally posted by Dawn

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Mehmet II was the first ruler to use the power of "ahi" balls and cannons and he was the main reason of the beginning of Reinessans and the end of feodalism.

Sorry to disagree with you but no one person or event was resopnsable for the end of fudalisim. The black plague had as much to do with it's end as anything or person.

But Fatih's success was one of the most important reasons to end this system...

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 07:20

I'm surprised no one mentioned

STALIN

One of the most influential leaders in USSR and the communst countries.  Killed millions- and I mean, millions.  Started the cold war.  Started Korean war.  More to say?

---

And others like

Graham Bell- Invented the telephone.  Kind of important now that everyone uses telephones one way or the other.

Morse- Morse code.  Used since American civil war,  Titanic,  WWI,  to mention a few.  Still used today If I'm correct

Francis Drake- Without him, I doubt Britain's influence over world, as well as a Brtish colony that would later become a Superpower.

Edited by demon
Grrr..
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 07:54

Not the Prophet

they meant the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire called Mohammed the conquerore and Mehmet II

Mohemmed I also an Ottoman sultan

both of them were in the millenium

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 07:42

Originally posted by Tobodai

Hitler is probably , and unfortunatley, the most influential man of the melleniaum outside of science, but perhaps we will have to wait longer to truly see how far his influence extends, but its not just facism, its the whole arrangment of hte modern world.

What dramatic effects had the WW2 on the "arrangement of the wodern world", effects that were premanent and decisive?

I think, WW1 had far more lasting implications, both globally and in Europe: The Soviet Union, the emergence of the USA as World power, the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires, the rise of fascism and so on. WW2 didn't really alter that much and most of its effects have already been reversed.

Who should we credit for WW1 and include in the list!  Gavrilo Prinzip, Franz Fredinand ( The Archduke, not the band!), Kaiser Wilhelm?

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 18:28
Hitler is probably , and unfortunatley, the most influential man of the melleniaum outside of science, but perhaps we will have to wait longer to truly see how far his influence extends, but its not just facism, its the whole arrangment of hte modern world.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 17:40

Originally posted by Murph

Most of the direct political consequences of WW2 , of which the Cold War with its two opposing alliances was probably the most important, have turned out to be not as permanent as once thought. The outcome of the anti-colonial wars of the 40s,50s and 60s are possibly far more momentous for the current order of the world, and thats why Gandhi should be in the top 30.

Only if you understand the existence of the state of Israel as direct consequence of WW2 or the Holocaust, you might be right. The resolution of the Palestine problem with all its implications may indeed shape the things to come.

Edited by Komnenos
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 16:59

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 16:46
Originally posted by Winterhaze13

Originally posted by gcle2003

Why are Hitler and Louis XIV in there? What influence have they had on history since their day? Or on the world today?

Well, Hitler is influential because of fascism.

I dont understand Hitlers inclusion either. Was he influential, because the Nazis under his leadership were responsible for WW2 and the Holocaust? Apart from that, where else lay his influence ?

He didnt contribute a single thing to the ideology of fascism, not even in its German variation. He did not have s single original thought in his life, his undoubted talents lay somewhere else. He was not political theorist, but picked up ideas as he went along, and sold them to the masses. And that he did rather successfully.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>