Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Names for royal/imperial bodyguard units.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Conquistador View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Conquistador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Names for royal/imperial bodyguard units.
    Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 09:13

The Russian streltsi, or strelets, started out as royal guards, didn't they? (were later expanded to form something like the first "regular Russian army")

Saladin had something called the Kurdish guards. (they were Mamlukes)

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:19
Chaeonian Guard (Epirus).
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:14

Originally posted by white dragon

im not sure but, doesn't the pope have some switz guard or something?

True! They are only a hundred of them , responsible for the security of Vatican state.

Speaking of Swiss guards, i remember Francis of France had as personal guards also Swiss guards "the hundrend Swiss"

white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 21:52
im not sure but, doesn't the pope have some switz guard or something?
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 16:08

The bodyguards of Xerxes of Achaemenid dynasty,  were called "immortals".

They had a really tough time with Leonidas and his 300 in Thermopylae though .

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 17:06

Originally posted by Jorsalfar

I wonder what Hardrde did in the Varangian Guard?

He came to Constantinople on his way home from a pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1035, stopped over for a few years, served in the guard with distinction and in action and was appointed Akolythos, the commander of the Varangian Guard. During his time, the Mid-Byzantine Empire was in serious decline under a number of incapable rulers, and was fighting on the Balkans against Serbs and Bulgars, and in the East against various Caliphates and Harald Hadrade had enough opportunity to distinguish himself. He left in 1043, much richer than he came. The service in the guard was extremely well paid, even by Byzantine standards.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:45

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

He led it.

Many Swedes and some other Scandinavians used to serve in the guard (and some of the not so religious ones left their marks in the Hagia Sophia), up until after Hastings, when many Anglo-Saxons sought their fortune there.

Did he do anything noteworty?like defeating enemies of the Byzantines?

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:37

He led it.

Many Swedes and some other Scandinavians used to serve in the guard (and some of the not so religious ones left their marks in the Hagia Sophia), up until after Hastings, when many Anglo-Saxons sought their fortune there.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:34
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:26

Originally posted by Komnenos

Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

He did not invent skiing - a 5,000 year old ski has been found in central Sweden.

I do apologise, my Old-Norse let me down, the Edda mentions only that he was a very good skier. Bet, he didn't practise much, while he was in Byzantine service. Raises also the question, if he had won the battle of Stamford Bridge, if it had happened in Mid-winter and in good Cross-Country Skiing conditions.

Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 13:56

Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of <ST1Stamford Bridge 1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

He did not invent skiing - a 5,000 year old ski has been found in central Sweden.

There are also paintings of people using skis in a cave in norway that are 5000 years old.

In Sweden they have found a 4500 year old pair of skis while they have found 2300 years old skis in northern Norway.Some people think that the Samis invented skiing

Edited by Jorsalfar
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 13:47
The Frankish kings and then the French kings used the Paladins (knights of the palace). Roland was the most famous.

We can consider the majordome (mayor of the palace, originaly "big man in the palace") were special but above the merovingian kings in many way (the merovigians were always fighting each others, the majordome was de facto the real leader), especially considering Charles Martel (Charles the Hammer grandfather of Charlemagne) virtually founded the carolingian dynasty.

I'll go for paladins and majordomes though.
Vae victis!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:43

Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of<ST1Stamford Bridge1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:35

i believe Varangians were the Byzantine royal guards

Varangians was originally the collective Byzantine name for Skandinavian settlers in Russia or indigenous Russians themselves. From approx. 900, a large contingent of V. served as mercenaries in the Byzantine army. Under Basil II (976-1025) they became organized as a separate unit in the army, known as the Varangian Guard, but not necessarily as Imperial Body guards. From 1066 onwards the majority of the V. were actually Anglo-Saxons, who had fled England after the Norman conquest, or Vikings from Denmark,Norway or Iceland. Only in the late 11th. century the Varangian Guard became the bodyguard of the Emperor, although they were also employed as regular units in military campaigns. Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

Edited by Komnenos
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 09:46
That is true. But originally they were intended to pledge loyalty only to the sultan and to guard him with their lives.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 09:40

2.  Ottoman Turkish emperors had  Jannisaries

Janissaries lived in Istanbul and they were near to the palace but they weren't bodyguards.They were infantry units.

And they must have been the last soldiers protecting the sultan!They killed and changed many sultans with lots of rebellations and massacres.

They establieshed their own empire in Ottoman Empire

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 12:05
Originally posted by Paul

Not originally. the Old Guard wasn't renamed the Imperial Guard till 1804 and the Middle and Young guards added even later.

Hun Sen Cambodian prime minister has North Korean guards .

the French Guard never had the name Old Guard. the Old Guard was of course the first regiments of the Consular and subsequent Imperial Guard before other regiments were added but the name was never Old Guard for all of the guard at a time.

Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 22:53

Here's an obscure one for you. During the Chin/Jurchen Dynasty each emperor (and crown prince) had his own elite guard unit called the Ho-cha. Candidates had to be at least 5'5 tall and pass a military test. The most elite members of the Ho-cha were the "close attendants". They were the only Ho-cha members allowed to carry weapons in the emperor's presence. Close attendants had to be at least 5'6 tall.

El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 22:36
Great, thanks for your replies

I'm awake, I'm awake.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 19:55

The king doesn't have any special guard unit anymore - nor does he need one, since he isn't actually in battle anymore - only those secret service people, which I believe fill the function of the old guards. All units of the army take turns to guard his castles though (sometimes wearing old & silly uniforms: pic, pic). Back in the days when the kings actually were in battle there was the Livdrabantkren, an elite guard unit of 200 handpicked men under his personal command, who were responsible for the safety of the king in the battle.

Actually, I've seen that Spanish Imperial Guard for Rey Juan Carlos... I remember when I was like 9 and I saw one and I asked by uncle if that was a colonel and everyone laughed at me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>