Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who was your bravest national general ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who was your bravest national general ?
    Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 08:30

And as for McArthur... the guy promised to defend Corregidor till doom and left after Bataan defence line was broken. His soldier in the Phillipines nicknamed him "bunker man" or something like that. The fact that he is today considered brave is thanks to his skill at propaganda warfare. He wasn't even a good strategist, only a one shot wonder. And Inchon only worked because it was an act of desperation and the N.Koreans didn't expect it.  

If you're looking for a brave American general of WWII, go for Patton.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 08:51
Originally posted by Maljkovic

And as for McArthur... the guy promised to defend Corregidor till doom and left after Bataan defence line was broken. His soldier in the Phillipines nicknamed him "bunker man" or something like that. The fact that he is today considered brave is thanks to his skill at propaganda warfare. He wasn't even a good strategist, only a one shot wonder. And Inchon only worked because it was an act of desperation and the N.Koreans didn't expect it.  

You are ill informed.  MacArthur was ordered out of the Phillipines by the President to take command in Australia.  As for his strategic abilities in the South Pacific, see my article in the January AE Monthly Magazine.

You really do need to read up on Inchon.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 08:59

The credit for South Pacific goes mostly to Nimitz.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 09:50

The credit for South Pacific goes mostly to Nimitz.

No, that was the Central Pacific.  The drive across the central area was the navy's favored strategy and Nimitz was the commander.  The South Pacific needed to stop the Japanese from cutting off Australia, hence Guadalcanal and New Guinea.

Obviously you can't fight an ocean war without the navy, but the marine corps in the beginning was too small for the scale of actions encountered.  New Guinea was close to Australia and offered secure lines of communication.  Look at the use of amphibious and airborne troops...and all the Aussies involved.  That was an army and MacArthur used it very well.

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 10:29

It is very hard for a Turk to decide, but Mustafa Kemal, Alparslan and the Ottoman aknj generals were best. But Sultan Baybars and Tamerlane were great generals to

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 11:59

Lee....nah 'Stonewall' Jackson......

MacArthur was genuinely a mix of good and bad general.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 15:21
Father Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon.
Gen. Ignacio Zaragoza.
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 17:16
Originally posted by Dampier

Lee....nah 'Stonewall' Jackson......

MacArthur was genuinely a mix of good and bad general.

I disagree with your nah, but stonewall is my 2nd choice behind Lee and 3rdly Patton...

Edited by dirtnap
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 17:18
I think Id say Stanislaw Zolkiewski, especially after his warrior like detah at Cecora in 1621, i thinkw as the year.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 00:10

Well, I'm Canadian and I'll have to go with Tecumseh! He gets no credit here, though. Like any great Canadian figure the Americans love him but he gets none at home.

I disagree with alot of people's picks in this thread. No WW2 general was brave; they were among the safest military leaders in all history up to that point. Brave with other people's lives, perhaps! Being a good tactician or strategist is another thing from being brave.

Edited by edgewaters
o_irengun View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote o_irengun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 07:16

Mustafa Kemal Atatrk  a  Nation has followed him and a Nation is going to follow him!

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 07:32

First patisahs. After all they entered man-to-man combat.

Also should add Alparslan who refused to use bow.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 10:00

Originally posted by edgewaters

I disagree with alot of people's picks in this thread. No WW2 general was brave; they were among the safest military leaders in all history up to that point. Brave with other people's lives, perhaps! Being a good tactician or strategist is another thing from being brave.

I think the safest ones were those in WWI, in WWII airial bombardment was implemented.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 13:21

Well, I'm Canadian and I'll have to go with Tecumseh! He gets no credit here, though. Like any great Canadian figure the Americans love him but he gets none at home.

Tecumseh was NOT Canadian, he was the leader of a separate sovereign Nation.  His efforts during the War of 1812 were largely a case of "My enemies enemy..."  he would have just as easily fought the Canadian government if given the chance.  This might come as a surprise to you but North America'a indigenous peoples hate the Canadian government just as much as they do the American one.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 03:15
Originally posted by Laelius

Tecumseh was NOT Canadian, he was the leader of a separate sovereign Nation.  His efforts during the War of 1812 were largely a case of "My enemies enemy..."  he would have just as easily fought the Canadian government if given the chance.  This might come as a surprise to you but North America'a indigenous peoples hate the Canadian government just as much as they do the American one.

Well, its true he was not a Canadian, but alot of other foreign figures and allies operating under their own agendas are considered heroes of nations other than their own. I consider him a great figure in Canadian history. Many of the French also consider themselves a separate and sovereign nation, and certainly were before the Treaty of Paris, but there are plenty of figures like Cartier and Champlain who are considered great Canadian figures. We all know they weren't actually Canadians in the current sense of the term, but, we still consider them crucial to Canadian history.

As far as native attitudes towards the US + Canada, what you say hasn't always been true and certainly wasn't in 1812. Canada was the British, and natives - particularly those of the Eastern Woodlands, such as the Iroquois - had a fairly good rapport with the British, at least in comparison to the US. The British had, after all, supplied most of the arms they used in recent conflicts with the US such as the Northwest Indian War (only 17 years before 1812 and definately a forerunner of Tecumseh's campaign), and it was in Britain's interests to maintain good relations with them during this period. The Iroquois today still take pride in the special relationship they have with the Crown (although their support in 1812 was a bit divided, but not because many had any preference for Americans - they knew Washington as Caunotaucarius, the Town Destroyer, stemming from the Sullivan Expedition (only 33 years before 1812). Rather, some felt that the Americans would win and to survive they should side with them). Some native figures, like Joseph Brant, were even outright British military officers - ironic, considering he could not become a sachem among the Iroquois since it was hereditary.

The British never mounted anything resembling the Sullivan expedition, never conducted anything like the buffalo slaughter, etc. The situation in 1812 was quite different. Modern Canada is a different story - in the 20th century it conducted resettlements in the north, had its boarding schools and impoverished reservations and jails filled with natives and its Okas and Ipperwashes, but, you can't retroactively apply all that to the situation in 1812.

Edited by edgewaters
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 21:35

In my opinion the following military leaders were the best;

Napoleon Bonaparte

Field Marshal  Erich Von Manstein

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Mehmet II The Conqueror

Sultan Selim I The Grim

Moustafa Kemal Pasha

General George Patton

Admiral Nimitz

Ramses II

Edited by Moustafa Pasha
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 13:40
Constantine XI

His answer to Mohammed II

"To give you the City is neither my right nor any other's of its inhabitans; for, by a common desicion, all of us we shall prefer to die and we shall not spare our lives"

May 29, 1453
avar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote avar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 15:55

Originally posted by Alex

Constantine XI

His answer to Mohammed II

"To give you the City is neither my right nor any other's of its inhabitans; for, by a common desicion, all of us we shall prefer to die and we shall not spare our lives"

May 29, 1453

Yes he said that to Mehmet the Conquerer with pride..Anyway a governor must behave like this..

Blair View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 19:53
I can't believe no one mentioned Gen. Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 16:50

"Dugout Doug" MacArthur was actually quite brave personally. He was highly decorated for bravery in WW I. The knickname given to him refered to his refusal to visit Bataan during the fighting there. However he had the foolhardy habit of leaving the shelter of the tunnels during Japanese bombardments of Corregidor. IMO in some ways he thought he was invincible.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12