Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

underestimating France?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: underestimating France?
    Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 11:14
Why is it when people diss France they always say France never won nothing. guess these guys never heard of Napoleon or Charlemagne or William of Normandy?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 12:37
or the 1998 world cup and 2000 European championship.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 18:17

Originally posted by o'bannon

Why is it when people diss France they always say France never won nothing. guess these guys never heard of Napoleon or Charlemagne or William of Normandy?

It's the old "what have they done recently?" that gets 'em.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 19:05
only arrogant people say that...but then again they also think that Africa is a country ...so it doesnt really matter.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 19:27

Originally posted by mamikon

only arrogant people say that...but then again they also think that Africa is a country ...so it doesnt really matter.

Please explain.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 20:13
lol, ok

in my experience, people who tell me that France did not win anything are usually not intelligent, have a poor background in history and geography...
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 20:23

Originally posted by mamikon

lol, ok

in my experience, people who tell me that France did not win anything are usually not intelligent, have a poor background in history and geography...

Hmmm....thanks. 

After 1919, France's achievements in international politics, and it's history rather suggests more failure and geographic regression than anything else.

Of course, France is prosperous and secure, but that is much obliged to the Marshal Plan, and to NATO, regardless of what the French think.  Britain, The Soviet Union and The USA did not have Nazi stooges running their countries for four years.  And they did not have to be liberated by someone else.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 20:32
yes, that is true...but you are comparing France in both WWI and WWII with the strongest country at those times, Germany. 

If Great Britain was not an island, and was connected to Germany, you can bet they would have been gonners too

And lets not forget, France is still one of the strongest countries in the world...now how would a country that has not won anything, be at the top of the food chain for the past 1000 or so years
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 20:55

mamikon:

I will concede that until about 1860, France was a formidable part of the political community (at least in Europe).

Within the next 30-40 years, they were eclipsed by Britain, the German Empire and the United States (and then later by Russia/Soviet Union).  The exhaustion of France was not generally realized until the 1930s.  After 1940, France was a spent force.

France was certainly a large and prosperous power 1660-1860.  But for 100 years before that it was an almost unending seat of civil war, and had been well defeated by the Habsburgs from about 1500 to 1559.

And, from 1700-1815, its most successful generals were foreigners.  Marechal The Duke of Berwick (Jacobite Scots/English), Marechal Moritz de Saxe (German) and Napoleone Buonaparte (Corsican of Italian ancestry)

The French, I think, cling to glories past, and there are many of them.  However, the attitude of the French (the French elites, mostly) in the 21st century is rather absurd.  They are the recipient of American defense largesse in NATO; British foreign policy that directly benefits them, and German economic industriousness and capital development that France tends to take credit for.

Charlemagne was a Frank, and therefore a German.  William the Bastard was a barely French Norman.  The French elites in their Givenchy suits, and with their Bordeaux, Roquefort and Anjou pears would be appalled!

My view anyway.

Edited by pikeshot1600
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 21:02
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

mamikon:

I will concede that until about 1860, France was a formidable part of the political community (at least in Europe).

Within the next 30-40 years, they were eclipsed by Britain, the German Empire and the United States (and then later by Russia/Soviet Union).  The exhaustion of France was not generally realized until the 1930s.  After 1940, France was a spent force.

France was certainly a large and prosperous power 1660-1860.  But for 100 years before that it was an almost unending seat of civil war, and had been well defeated by the Habsburgs from about 1500 to 1559.

And, from 1700-1815, its most successful generals were foreigners.  Marechal The Duke of Berwick (Jacobite Scots/English), Marechal Moritz de Saxe (German) and Napoleone Buonaparte (Corsican of Italian ancestry)

The French, I think, cling to glories past, and there are many of them.  However, the attitude of the French (the French elites, mostly) in the 21st century is rather absurd.  They are the recipient of American defense largesse in NATO; British foreign policy that directly benefits them, and German economic industriousness and capital development that France tends to take credit for.

Charlemagne was a Frank, and therefore a German.

My view anyway.

well yes compared to Soviet Union, Great Britain, Germany, and USA it was a spent force...however

lets draw some parallels between politics, the real world or whatever you want to call it and chess.

A grandmaster who constantly loses to the rank 1, rank 2, rank 3 in the world is still a lot better than an amateur who beats novices
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 22:05
Just a saturday night thought- fulll of rum and Moroccan weed... while France may be hated by everyone  -and maybe not without reason- it's also the heart of Europe. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 06:29
Originally posted by Maju

Just a saturday night thought- fulll of rum and Moroccan weed... while France may be hated by everyone  -and maybe not without reason- it's also the heart of Europe. 

Word. Perhaps its fate is in fact inextricably tied to its particuar geographical location.. no?

BTW, that Moroccan s*& 'll f*&^ u up! I once went near-raving through the streets of Marrakesh with a blanket wrapped around me after doin too much of that stuff.

Edited by Halevi
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 07:07
Originally posted by Halevi

Word. Perhaps its fate is in fact inextricably tied to its particuar geographical location.. no?

Absolutely. Geography isn't destiny but it is a conditionant.

Anyhow, France used to be the largest country of Europe demographically too for a long time. That also marked France a lot historically, as it was the most powerful realm in its region naturally yet balanced by internal weaknesses (feudalism and feudal wars) or external "alliances" (Habsburg Empire).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 07:16

Originally posted by Halevi

Absolutely. Geography isn't destiny but it is a conditionant.

Anyhow, France used to be the largest country of Europe demographically too for a long time. That also marked France a lot historically, as it was the most powerful realm in its region naturally yet balanced by internal weaknesses (feudalism and feudal wars) or external "alliances" (Habsburg Empire).

Yes, but what about the hash? ; ) jk
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 18:00
The hash is off topic...

Understand that when  wrote those lines I was so high (or rather low) that I had to review the message twice before I dared to click "post". Words were all roWds... if you know what I mean.

Too much rum.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 01:44

The hash is off topic...

Understand that when  wrote those lines I was so high (or rather low) that I had to review the message twice before I dared to click "post". Words were all roWds... if you know what I mean.

Too much rum.

Yes, i do know what you mean... but lets not get off topic ; )
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 05:14

Seriously, take a look at this:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 05:42
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Seriously, take a look at this:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, though, everyone always forgets about Napoleon. *He conquered Europe, people.* ... its just everything that's happened since thats so amusing.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 08:08
Sorry for abusing this thread but could anyone explain me why so many people don't like France or at least say so. Great Britain and the USA have a special history with France. But what about the rest? Did some people decide to dislike the French and now everyone swims with the tide?
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 08:24
Originally posted by Vespasianus

Sorry for abusing this thread but could anyone explain me why so many people don't like France or at least say so. Great Britain and the USA have a special history with France. But what about the rest? Did some people decide to dislike the French and now everyone swims with the tide?

We here in English Canada tend to swallow the Ango-stereotype of the French whole... this isnt helped by our sometiemes-messy relations with the Francophone Quebecois, who like to out-French the French.

All in all, i really like France... i lived there for a while as a kid, and really enjoyed it. They have great writers, cinema, architecture and are staunch secularists, which is pretty cool. Paris rocks. Et les moules et frites... mon dieu..!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>